• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Direct 2013.6.26 - 8 pm Japan Time (12 pm BST, 7 am EDT)

I think people are just disappointed in the lack of titles that use the Gamepad in a truly innovative way.

These people need to play Nintendoland. Not every game is suited for an awesome innovation with touch controls, The nerd in me is pretty satisfied with a second screen on my desk acting as a map. On competing systems this counts as an extreme innovation. ;)

SparkTR

I though Pikmin 1+2 for Wii was praised for its pointer implementation. Didn't think more people would favor the Game Pad of the Wii Remote +.

Personally Pikmin 3 is the reason why I'm getting a Wii U and I wanted it to be a 'showcase' for the Gamepad like The Wonderful 101 looks to be. Touchscreen has a ton of potential for RTS/Isometric games which isn't being utilized. But then again Wiimote controls were really great in Pikmin 1/2 so I'll be happy in the end.

I never got a chance to play 1&2, but I will definitely be playing 3.

same here

Get them, they're both around $5 for the Wii version and the Wii controls make them feel 'new'. They're both some of the best games the GC had to offer.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This game looks absolutely brilliant.

JUST HOOK IT TO MY VEINS

These people need to play Nintendoland. Not every game is suited for an awesome innovation with touch controls, The nerd in me is pretty satisfied with a second screen on my desk acting as a map. On competing systems this counts as an extreme innovation. ;)

Yeah I agree about Nintendo Land, but outside of that, there really hasn't been much. Personally I'm fine with a map and inventory/Off TV Play, but people that were expecting more creative uses have a reason to be upset.

PokéKong

I guess if the game were more designed around playing with the touch screen it would be more like a traditional RTS and in that case it would pretty much need to be a Pikmin spin-off or just a different game entirely. Good future plans for after Miyamoto's retirement I guess?

jmls1121

Banned
Yeah I agree about Nintendo Land, but outside of that, there really hasn't been much. Personally I'm fine with a map and inventory/Off TV Play, but people that were expecting more creative uses have a reason to be upset.

And yet those same people are typically the ones praising the innovation of things like Titanfall because they have mechs.

And yet those same people are typically the ones praising the innovation of things like Titanfall because they have mechs.

It would not have been a problem had Nintendo released other games built for the Gamepad. 2013 is now all about selling a Nintendo console, not about the "Wii U" per se.

Seriously disappointed by the lack of online for Pikmin. I don't mind that Mario 3D World doesn't have it... but Pikmin 3?

So, a WiiMote is a must to play the game? Damn, wanted to play with the gamepad.

No, it's not a must. You can use the gamepad or pro controller too. Wiimote+ is preferred by Miyamoto.

Hah, I just geeked out a little, when I saw Matsumoto-san next to Miyamoto-san!
I haven't seen the Direct yet but I wonder if they let the famous "Matsumoto...OUT!" sound anywhere ^^

Boogiepop

So wait, did we already know the ship is apparently called the Drake? That's pretty much the only thing I picked up on here that I didn't already know. Neat that it slots into the naming scheme for the characters.

Holy crap, I cannot wait for this game. Four weeks to the day until I can get it. It looks like everything I ever wanted and after waiting nearly half my life for it (since I never got 2 until recently) I have a lot of wants.

EDIT: Lol, at the end Matsumoto says that when Miyamoto dies that Pikmin should carry his coffin to their onion and then Miyamoto can be turned into many Pikmin who will continue to work in his place.

So after numerous delays the game still doesn't offer online multi... I'll get it when it gets a price drop, it looks awesome but I just can't see myself dropping $60 on it.

6jpg-d3cf24_640w.jpg

p396.png

5jpg-d3cf23_640w.jpg

e2f.png

From here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDqXzLYJY_Y

daakusedo

Yesterday I was about to post " the in depth look at the game I was looking for" and I remembered it's nintendo covering pikmin3.
It has a positive side though, even with the more focused developer direct, I still don't know a lot, so the bulk of the game remains to discover once at home.

Haines

Banned
really nice footage. made me more excited for the game than anything i saw before. maybe thats bc release is getting close tho haaha

Game looks great! Glad we're almost there. I'm surprised some people here were expecting online multiplayer. The only Nintendo made games I'm expecting online multiplayer for are Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

jmizzal

Nintendoland was a launch game, outside of WiiU party , the only 1st party games coming this year that will use the WiiU gamepad in a innovative way seems to be TW101 and WWHD. Games like Star Fox and Metroid could really show off the gamepad but neither of them seem to be coming anytime soon which is disappointing, when Nintendo had a chance to be developing one of those build for WiiU for 3 years.

Taker666

Again, no online? Even after the delay??

C'mon Nintendo.

To be fair I can see a legit reason for this game not to be online (100 user controlled Pikmin per player makes it tough).

It's games like Nintendoland, Game & Wario and Super Mario 3D World having no online that there's little excuse for. It's also utterly bizarre to me that Sonic: Lost World has an online mode for the 3DS..but not Wii U.

A shame we don't see the same sort of campaigning for online modes that we are seeing for region free...as Nintendo getting online modes in their games is a far bigger priority than region free gaming IMO.

Hoodbury

I wasn't planning on getting the game; I've never played the first 2 and I was a little upset that they weren't having online. But I showed my wife the E3 trailer for it and she actually said that looks like fun. So I'll get it now and play with her. She doesn't game much so I get enjoyment out of watching her play games.

Do we know if any of the local multiplayer modes are co-op? She's not a fan of competitive games against me, but we have fun sometimes playing co-op games.

To be fair I can see a legit reason for this game not to be online (100 user controlled Pikmin per player makes it tough).

It's games like Nintendoland, Game & Wario and Super Mario 3D World having no online that there's little excuse for. It's also utterly bizarre to me that Sonic: Lost World has an online mode for the 3DS..but not Wii U.

A shame we don't see the same sort of campaigning for online modes that we are seeing for region free...as Nintendo getting online modes in their games is a far bigger priority than region free gaming IMO.

Online modes is not a consumer rights issue. Region free is.

Besides, online is something that's handled differently on individual games, so you can go spam the Pikmin 3 Miiverse discussion directly once it's out.

Top Bottom