• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Review Thread [UP2: All reviews are live]

Fuck.

This is the last thing I wanted to see. Apparently the game is great.

Secretly I was hoping for it to be terrible so that I wouldn't be tempted into buying a new console for one game. Played the shit outta Pikmin 1+2.

Anyone skeptical about the game, reviewers are saying its similar to the older games. So I can tell you that means its pretty great. The older games were brilliant. Even pick those ones up for cheap first. You won't regret it.

hatchx

Banned
I'm expecting the Wii U to sell over 3m between 1st November and 31st December.

I don't think this is possible. Even if WiiU sold 600k in NA in Nov. and Dec. (which would be somewhat of a miracle), I really doubt it'll pick up the 1.8 million slack in the rest of the world. It'd be lucky to sell 300k in Japan in that timespan.

ASIS

Plus Wii Fit U in December too. People will say that the fitness game popularity was a fad that's long over but those exact same people said the same thing before Wii Fit Plus was released and that sold around 20m.

If they market Wii Fit U properly and make sure that they convey 2 very important and unique features - the fact that a Mum can exercise whilst using Off-TV Play so they don't disturb their kids' telly or their hubby's football and, most importantly, they have the option to keep their weight privately displayed on the GamePad's screen - it should do pretty well.

And Kinect isn't that much of a threat either because the Wii Fit franchise is the only fitness game that can keep track of your weight.

I'm expecting the Wii U to sell over 3m between 1st November and 31st December.
Woah!

Wait wouldn't that be pretty normal for a console? I mean I doubt Wii U can do normal but yeah..

fred

That's a big gamble there, buddy. 3 Million in 2 months? After doing so badly since it came out?

It hasn't done badly since it came out, it had a successful launch. It did around 80 percent of the Wii's launch sales which was no mean feat. The problem has been a software drought from December 2012 to February 2013, and April 2013 to now. The only releases of note were during a couple of weeks at the end of March with Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

That software drought is now finally being addressed by Nintendo with Donkey Kong, Super Mario 3D World and Wii Fit U with some big multiplatform titles such as CoD Ghosts, Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham Origins and Assassin's Creed IV all being released in those two months before you even start to think about Christmas shopping.

There are a shitload of titles on the way for the Wii U between now and the end of the year. The problem with the Wii U hasn't been the price (proven by the price cuts not being effective in Europe), the problem has been a lack of software (proven by the rise in sales when Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter were released).

Nintendo shouldn't have that much of a problem selling 3m or more in those two months.

Jachaos

They could sell double, triple that with a Mario Kart 8, 250$ Wii U bundle. But that'll be 2014 I guess. With Super Smash Bros. on the same shelves.

fred

They could sell double, triple that with a Mario Kart 8, 250$ Wii U bundle. But that'll be 2014 I guess. With Super Smash Bros. on the same shelves.

Yup, 2014 should be a good year for the Wii U in terms of sales. We're looking at Mario Kart 8, Yarn Yoshi, SMT x Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2, X and SSBU plus whatever they've got up their sleeves for E3 next year. I can see them cutting the price in April to coincide with the release of Mario Kart 8 in April plus having one of those titles released per month between January and March.

this is my own review:

http://mattsgames.it/recensioni/pikmin-3

(warning: italian only)

in short Pikmin 3 is a Pikmin game. Bigger, better than the first two games, but not as revolutionary as the first or with so many improvements as the second. I didn't like the camera moved to the right analogue stick, i wish i could still use the stick like the C-stick in the gamecube games. Great graphics, with only minor issues. Lots of replayability. A fun, great game, only not as ambitious like the originals

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So is collecting all the fruits plus doing all the missions what you have to do for 100%? Or is there some other things to do?

1. Collect all fruit
2. Collect all Secret Files
3. Get Platin in all Missions in single player
4. Get Platin in all Missions in multi player

fred

That actually below average when it come to console sales. Consoles always sell best at the end of the year, even the 360 sold/shipped 6m units this past oct-dec and it's a 8 years old console.

It's no good mate, people are convinced (for some reason known only to themselves!) that the Wii U is going to continue to sell as badly as it has from January to the present day. It might even do as much as 4m if Nintendo can get stock on shelves.

People are also forgetting that the Wii U had a very successful launch, it was from the launch window onwards that the Wii U had problems.

And it should also be noted that the 360 did around 5.5m in its first year, I don't think that the Wii U is going to be too far off that total given the software releases coming up.

Can't wait to see US sales on this, I'm curious if this is a system seller over here like it is in Japan? It's showing massive numbers over there, I at least expect some kind of spike.

Yoshi

You might find you like real time strategy games. I suggest rise of nations.

Other real time strategy games are very different though, both in tone (Pikmin is not a war game) and in gameplay (Pikmin has a lot of Action-Adventure and exploration aspects to it).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Guardian: 5/5
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/jul/23/pikmin-3-video-game-review

Like much of Nintendo's strongest work, Pikmin 3 appeals to adults and children in different ways. For children the game offers the joy of seeing small people's usefulness to adults – after all, these spacemen and women could never leave the planet without the Pikmins' help. And, as a counterpoint, the fear – the foundational human fear – of being left behind at the end of the day. For adults, especially parents, it's the joy of stewardship and custody, of leading directionless small people around a world, looking after them in the face of danger and, finally, delivering them safely to their beds at night. In this way the Pikmin carry a potent kernel of human experience throughout the game, one that's truer and more powerful than any found upon the pea green plains of the Mushroom Kingdom. In this way the Pikmin deliver an enthralling, at times near-classic adventure, even if their ability to salvage the Wii-U's fortunes remains in doubt.

Does the time limit feel like Pikmin 1?

Its between Pikmin 1 and 2. You still want to hurry because your food supply is limited, but you have more freedom than in Pikmin 1.

I've only read through some of the more major reviews, do any of them highlight the game-pad uses?

Sure, but I can do that for you.

Playing with it is like playing with the Cube controller. But you can also use the Wiimote and Nunchuck and still keep the Pad close to you, as it gives you a map of the level which is very handy indeed.

CaVaYeRo

Ok, this is actually funny... I'm stuck! Haha. Some thoughtful exam of the map was enough and rewarding for every difficult or hidden area or objective, but not now! Or I'm blind :/

No spoilers here - can anyone who's finished the game help me out with Forest of life (or whatever down left area is called in English) - I'm missing three fruits, and there's a higher ground with some weight platforms I can't reach...

Thanks! Play this game, all of you!

CaVaYeRo

So is collecting all the fruits plus doing all the missions what you have to do for 100%? Or is there some other things to do?

Real 100% would be 66 fruits, every Olimar message and hidden codes. Then you have missions. Thing with missions is they're outside, which is handy. And they're superb and (optionally) co-op.

EDIT: Sorry for DP!

Phazon

Ok, this is actually funny... I'm stuck! Haha. Some thoughtful exam of the map was enough and rewarding for every difficult or hidden area or objective, but not now! Or I'm blind :/

No spoilers here - can anyone who's finished the game help me out with Forest of life (or whatever down left area is called in English) - I'm missing three fruits, and there's a higher ground with some weight platforms I can't reach...

That's an optional puzzle if I can remember well. I was trying that one too untill I figured out it was simply impossible. Try to look elsewhere in the map. It's been a couple of weeks, so I can't remember where exactly, sorry :(

Edit: ah, you only need fruit to complete it? Then I can't help, since I haven't collected everything :)

Edit: see my post a few posts down

CaVaYeRo

Thanks anyway! :) :( But I'm only missing those three fruits in whole game!

Looks like the higher ground with the lifted platform and the jumper is actually
where you end up from the tree on the left
. Only possible entrance I see is on the near tree, but it's too high. Come on reviewers, this game asks for/deserves 100% completing and you know that! :p

Yoshi

I can only think of two weight puzzles in the game, from here on out, obviously spoiler material!

1. A room where there are four hanging platforms:
Throw two characters on the first platform, throw them some yellow Pikmin
Throw Pikmin on the second platform to make it sink
Throw your character onto the second platform, as well as some yellow Pikmin
Throw Pikmin on the first platform to make the second rise and on the third platform to make it sink
Go onto the third platform, throw Pikmin onto the fourth to make the third one rise
Throw Pikmin to the fourth platform so that they can collect the fruit

2. A simple weight scale near a sea: Put two characters on this platform. Go around that mountain where the scale is with yellow Pikmin, you will find some hole where you can throw yellow Pikmin onto a second scale, if there are more Pikmin on the second scale, the first one will rise

EDIT: However, I have to admit that II have not completed the game 100% before review. I'm missing one fruit in the first level where I don't know how to even reach the point of the map. Moreover, I'm still missing three secret files and I have not got all platin medals yet. I still think it's ok to write a review based on my experience with the game.

Thanks anyway! :) :( But I'm only missing those three fruits in whole game!

Looks like the higher ground with the lifted platform and the jumper is actually
where you end up from the tree on the left
. Only possible entrance I see is on the near tree, but it's too high. Come on reviewers, this game asks for/deserves 100% completing and you know that! :p

Ok I'll try to explain again.

On the other side of the 'higher island', you can throw yellow Pikmin with one astronaut to the mushroom. They bounce on to a metal platform there. Make sure you have an astronaut on the lowered metal platform on the other side, where the map says there's fruit hanging.

Now with the metal platform lifted by the yellow Pikmin on the other side, walk with the astronaut inside the three and on the 'higher island'. Make sure you have an astronaut on the metal platform and some yellow Pikmin.

Then use one astronaut to throw Pikmin on the platform you just raised by the tree opening. Once there are enough Pikmin on there, it will lower, raising the metal platform on the 'higher' island again. Now you can walk on the tree brance and throw yellow Pikmin on the hanging fruit.

CaVaYeRo

Sorry Moz, didn't see your answer! Thank you and Yoshi too. Hmmm... let me try what you say...

EDIT: Thanks! Ok, so you can indeed
reach the jumpers with the yellows?
I honestly thought that wasn't possible. It didn't look like it, and it's not in other places.

Anyway, ONE FRUIT LEFT! This is the one
right side of the path to the worm boss
. But we haven't found access to that dark area yet :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Metacritic score is for now at 87 (18 reviews), making it the 2nd highest scored game on Wii U. Strangely first is Star Wars Pinball with 88 based only on 4 reviews.

I am glad that no one has trashed the game (yet) and it really deserve to sell well. 3 more days left.

CaVaYeRo

66 fruits ^^. Buy it and complete it, guys. Wonder if there's any clue on hidden codes though
and what would that mean?

Raitaro

What this mean is you're a terrible person

Sorry for the late reply, but have you by any chance seen my eulogy post on Ryan Davis in the original news thread, fellow Ryan fan (in case you were serious)?

Also to the others disagreeing with me on Pikmin 3 being too similar to 1 and 2: let anyone not familiar with the series take a look at all three of them and they will think it is the same game. Yes, there are new gameplay elements and new Pikmin etc, but when it comes to overall atmosphere, style, graphics and sound, it really is extremely similar.

And again: this isn't a bad thing per se as there have indeed been only 3 games so far, I was only trying to point out that these smaller innovations between iterations could in long run lead to a franchise fatigue.

My point was that games can only have a big impact on people when they feel like new events. For that to occur, games should at the very least look differently from their predecessors. Nintendo and other developers should in other words not only add elements and in-game tweaks to an existing game paradigm and call it a day, they should also dare to occassionally reinvent the paradigm itself (just like Nintendo did with the old Mario and Zelda games for instance). In this case this means a new Pikmin game with a different art style or premise, and with bigger alterations to the control method and gameplay mechanism etc (think of a change from Metroid Prime to Super Metroid instead of one from Other M to Super Metroid if that game would have been its direct sequel - and no I'm not declaring that Pikmin 4 should be an FPS game...).

(On a sidenote: why do people keep insisting on picking out one line of an argument and then attacking it head on while I spend so much time trying not to be blunt but present a subtle and thought out opinion? A person doesn't have to think in black and white all the time. In other words I'm not dissing Pikmin 3 when I'm stating my wish for it to be more diferent, and I'm also not saying that Pikmin 3 is not different at all, just that it is not very different in some key areas.)

Edit: wow at the positive reviews! The core gameplay must indeed still be very good and very much resonating with people, which is good to hear.

tsab

Nintendo should have 3D support for Pikmin3. Jesus with the pseudo 3D that my Samsung TV makes it looks great. Imagine a real 3D stereoscopic render!

oh, btw:

byteme [GR] 9/10

Exile20

Fuck.

This is the last thing I wanted to see. Apparently the game is great.

Secretly I was hoping for it to be terrible so that I wouldn't be tempted into buying a new console for one game. Played the shit outta Pikmin 1+2.

Anyone skeptical about the game, reviewers are saying its similar to the older games. So I can tell you that means its pretty great. The older games were brilliant. Even pick those ones up for cheap first. You won't regret it.

There is only one game so far and in the future you want for the console?

Top Bottom