• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Review Thread [UP2: All reviews are live]

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
No, but the controls are more accurate with Motion+.
Here's a video showcasing the differences if you're curious.

It's no big deal, but it annoys me a bit that there's no "best" controller to use. Wiimote is more accurate, but you lose camera control and the minimap on the Gamepad. On the opposite, the Gamepad gives you the minimap and camera control, but with less precise aiming.

Hmmm... Guess I'll go with the Wiimote, but I'll miss the gamepad features.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Those are some excellent scores. I don't know why but I was expecting lower (maybe because of the genre and the general WiiU apathy).

It's no big deal, but it annoys me a bit that there's no "best" controller to use. Wiimote is more accurate, but you lose camera control and the minimap on the Gamepad. On the opposite, the Gamepad gives you the minimap and camera control, but with less precise aiming.

You can have both - just keep the Gamepad in your lap or on a nearby table or whatever. The only thing you'll miss is the camera controls, and you'll never miss it once you get used to snapping it behind your captain with Z.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think you misunderstood his question, but I believe the game does not support Wii Remotes without Motion+.

It does indeed support both types of remote. It uses the IR camera on the normal remote, and the Gyro in the Remote+. Either will work, but Remote+ is highly recommended.

The Boat

You don't lose the minimap at all, you can still use it. Camera control's a pity, but personally I never needed it.

Vire

"It feels more like a restatement of the original game than a full-blown sequel, but while its effect on the Wii U’s fortunes may be limited the fact remains there’s nothing quite like Pikmin."

I'm so fucking sick of this. Why are Nintendo games the only ones that get criticized for being derivative? That being said, the reviews wouldn't have impacted my decision to buy the game regardless of what it scored.
Huh? Gears of War Judgement and God of War Ascension were just criticized for being derivative. It's not some conspiracy against Nintendo...

That being said, I'm perfectly fine with Pikmin 3 being more of the same since I haven't played a Pikmin game in close to ten years.

boxter432

"It feels more like a restatement of the original game than a full-blown sequel, but while its effect on the Wii U’s fortunes may be limited the fact remains there’s nothing quite like Pikmin."

I'm so fucking sick of this. Why are Nintendo games the only ones that get criticized for being derivative? That being said, the reviews wouldn't have impacted my decision to buy the game regardless of what it scored.

especially when its a game that is pretty unique in its own right AND skipped the wii gen outside of New Play Control.

Huh? Gears of War Judgement and God of War Ascension were just criticized for being derivative. It's not some conspiracy against Nintendo...

Pikmin 2 came out almost ten years ago. God of War III came out in mid 2010. "More of the same" complaints are the absolute worst. Why reinvent what isn't broken? It's not like Nintendo spent the entire generation rehashing Pikmin like Microsoft did with Gears of War.

Pikmin 2 came out almost ten years ago. God of War III came out in mid 2010. "More of the same" complaints are the absolute worst. Why reinvent what isn't broken? It's not like Nintendo spent the entire generation rehashing Pikmin like Microsoft did with Gears of War.

I thinks its saying that there isn;t any massive or fundamental change in the gameplay but like many reviewers said thats not a bad thing. Just don't expect something revolutionary like Zelda TP.

Vire

For a lot of people, more of the same isn't enough.

Don't really see a problem with mentioning it in a review.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As ridiculous as that post is, for so many reasons, the game is indeed $60.

Yeah, I was stupid to think (involuntary self-irony) that it can't be more expensive than in UK.
It seems that it is a new policy for NOE, not making 1-to-1 price translation from $ to £ and euro, but rather using the exchange rate.

ASIS

For a lot of people, more of the same isn't enough.

Don't really see a problem with mentioning it in a review.

There does seem a little bit of inconsistency between reviewers when it comes to AAA big budget titles and the other games.

But in all honesty, I prefer reviewers being more critical. I'm actually very glad some didn't go the "ground textures are ugly so we MUST dock points for it" route. And instead focused on the fundementals of the game.

Pikmin 3 was never design to disrupt the world, and thank god the reviews reflect that.

Goldmund

Whenever I see almost nothing but positive scores and outlets seem to be speaking with a single voice, I get suspicious.

Guys, this might be a good game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Denofgeek: 4/5:
http://www.denofgeek.com/games/pikmin-3/26535/pikmin-3-wii-u-review

That Pikmin 3 manages to pack in so much RTS complexity into such an adorable, approachable package is a true feat, and something Nintendo still excel at. There are moments in Pikmin 3 that are extremely funny (a familiar household object abruptly puked up by a monster in its death throes  is a stand-out scene), moments of unbearable tension (getting a vital piece of fruit back to the ship before sundown always gets the pulse going), and occasional moments of genuine wonder.

Unlike, say, a major new Zelda game, Pikmin 3 may not be the title that will endear the Wii U to the masses, but it is undoubtedly the most engrossing, challenging and adorable system exclusive yet released for the console. Ultimately, Pikmin 3 is that rarest of things: a game with depth and complexity, but also colour, humour, and Nintendo's seemingly infallible lightness of touch.

NotLiquid

Great reviews. Looking forward to picking it up on Friday. First Pikmin game I'll have ever played so I'm excited, and familiarity won't be an issue for me.

Who takes scores with any grains of seriousness?

Fix'd

Seriously, though.. The only reasonable way to use reviews and scores is to look at trends while reading the meat of several reviews. Scores alone are ultimately meaningless, because what made the game so strong for one group of people might be just why I (or any other gamer) hate it.

Famitsu has been off, just as they've been spot on. But at the end of the day it's just a subjective take on a subjective opinion.

Shiggy

It does indeed support both types of remote. It uses the IR camera on the normal remote, and the Gyro in the Remote+. Either will work, but Remote+ is highly recommended.

This is great news for me! The normal IR worked just so well in Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2. This together with the great reviews and the fabolous visual design will definitely make me buy this title once I get a Wii U.

The length is disappointing.

It's 15+ hours if you get all the fruit, and that's assuming you don't bother with the (excellent) missions, and you'd be mad not to play those. Anyone with a potential opponent for Bingo Battle then gets 12 brilliant levels of competitive multiplayer. It's not as substantial as Pikmin 2's campaign, perhaps, but it's denser and better designed.

Would be better if there was online for the multi modes but the campaign seems a fine length. I'm going to miss nintendo games being 50 bucks though. The euro reviews are good, can't wait to own this.

Top Bottom