• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Review Thread [UP2: All reviews are live]

Raitaro

Doesnt that quote basically translate to pikmin 3 doesn't really do a lot of new things. And that's good in since pikmin 1 and 2 were good games. But bad in the sense that you want a sequel to not be exactly like it's predecessor?

That is how I would interpret it, yes. And I would have to agree with Edge here too.

I do find it funny how Nintendo gets so much hate for seemingly recycling assets in the New Mario series, but that the Pikmin games' strong similarity to each other tends to get a pass simply because people seem to find them endearing and enjoyable. (Animal Crossing is similar to Pikmin in this reception by the way.)

I'm not saying that I can't appreciate Pikmin 3, on the contrary, and I do know that there have been only 3 games so far, but I do think that this game proves even more so than the New Mario games that Nintendo is currently not at all occupied with trying to innovate or change things up in sequels when it comes to art styles, completely new gameplay mechanics or sound design.

I fear that this won't manage to keep these franchises fresh and that Nintendo is essentially backing them into a corner so to speak. Again, I like Pikmin just fine, and please enjoy the game if you have any love for the franchise, but I personally feel little enticement to pick it up at release due to it being so similar in style and overall atmosphere to the first two games.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, I can admit to that, but I'm still somewhat disappointed whenever I see a new game being announced that any casual onlooker would think is the same game as the previous one save for shinier graphics. Even when I know that this is not the case, I still can't totally disagree with such an assessment either.

(And of course Nintendo is certainly not the only to blame for this either...)

On a final note: am I the only one that grew tired of the Pikmin's sound effects a few hours into the first game? At this point I almost can't stand them anymore and this also greatly dampens my possible enjoyment of the new game. Is it just me or are they actually designed to be a little grating?

The Boat

That is how I would interpret it, yes. And I would have to agree with Edge here too.

I do find it funny how Nintendo gets so much hate for seemingly recycling assets in the New Mario series, but that the Pikmin games' strong similarity to each other tends to get a pass simply because people seem to find them endearing and enjoyable. (Animal Crossing is similar to Pikmin in this reception by the way.)

I'm not saying that I can't appreciate Pikmin 3, on the contrary, and I do know that there have been only 3 games so far, but I do think that this game proves even more so than the New Mario games that Nintendo is currently not at all occupied with trying to innovate or change things up in sequels when it comes to art styles, completely new gameplay mechanics or sound design.

I fear that this won't manage to keep these franchises fresh and that Nintendo is essentially backing them into a corner so to speak. Again, I like Pikmin just fine, and please enjoy the game if you have any love for the franchise, but I personally feel little enticement to pick it up at release due to it being so similar in style and overall atmosphere to the first two games.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, I can admit to that, but I'm still somewhat disappointed whenever I see a new game being announced that any casual onlooker would think is the same game as the previous one save for shinier graphics. Even when I know that this is not the case, I still can't totally disagree with such an assessment either.

(And of course Nintendo is certainly not the only to blame for this either...)

On a final note: am I the only one that grew tired of the Pikmin's sound effects a few hours into the first game? At this point I almost can't stand them anymore and this also greatly dampens my possible enjoyment of the new game. Is it just me or are they actually designed to be a little grating?
Pikmin 3 isn't wildly innovative, but it doesn't need to be either, saying it's the same with prettier graphics is also misleading. It's been 10 years since the last one and it's just the third one after 2 changing the formula heavily, so I don't see a problem with a focus on improvement rather than revolution. The game has plenty of new features and mechanics that change it enough for it not to be the same, playing with the Wii remote while using the Gamepad to manage things while you divide work among 3 captains along with the ability to send them somewhere on their own is enough to change the way you tackle the game. It's not a groundbreaking difference, but there's a lot more emphasis on coordination and multitasking, especially if you want to be efficient. Granted, without the first's 30 day time limit, there's no encouragement to be efficient, but the player wanting it should be enough.
EDIT: I disagree on the Pikmin sounds too, they're super charming, it's the whistle that gets on my nerves.

zroid

Banned

What this mean is you're a terrible person

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
But Pikmin 3 does mix up the gameplay mechanics, as did Pikmin 2. There are new Pikmin types, a new time pressure system, a new kind of challenges (great ones!), some nice three-character-puzzles oviously impossible before, a change in fighting style since the bodypart you aim at matters, the option to send characters to specific points on the map autmoatically... Pikmin 3 is not a lazy sequel even if you ignore the fantastic world design and pacing.

@The Boat: There still is an incentive to learn to be efficient, because otherwise, platin medals in challenge mode are unobtainable.

wrowa

Huh? Strong similarities to each other? Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 have been fundamentally different games; the focus of the gameplay changed completely in Pikmin 2 since a great part of the game took place in underground caves (dungeons, pretty much) where you only had a limited amount of Pikmin available and it played very differently as a result.

Animal Crossing on the other hand gets plenty of shit for being too similar. It was the main reason why Animal Crossing: City Folk wasn't well-received when it came out.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've just played through PIkmin 1 and 2 (Wii versions) in the last three weeks in prep for 3. My take on 3 being "too similiar" is this:

The first two games are each slightly fail to reach their potential due a few details. Pikmin 1 is quite short, though very replayable. Its 30 day time limit puts a lot of pressure on the player, good for replayable challenge with lack of anything like leaderboards.

Pikmin 2 is a much bigger game and more relaxing to play. It's nice that it has a larger amount of secrets to find. But its dungeon system where time stops begins to grate a little. Most of your playtime can end up being spent in the dungeons which are nowhere near as charming as the overworld. They throw the intended pacing of Pikmin off IMO.

The notion that PIkmin 3 combines the best elements of 1 and 2 is very appealing. Longer than Pikmin 1, with leaderboards for enhanced replayability. More focused on the core Pikmin gameplay loop than Pikmin 2 without the dungeons pulling you away from the overworld Pikmin is primarily about. A much longer limit on days spent, but just the fact that there's some kind of time limit there may make the experience feel tighter psychologically.

This is a case where iteration is more important than wholly changing the game to refresh it in my view. Because there haven't been many games in the series. I'd rather see the basic formula perfected, before spinning it off into new directions.

The Boat

But Pikmin 3 does mix up the gameplay mechanics, as did Pikmin 2. There are new Pikmin types, a new time pressure system, a new kind of challenges (great ones!), some nice three-character-puzzles oviously impossible before, a change in fighting style since the bodypart you aim at matters, the option to send characters to specific points on the map autmoatically... Pikmin 3 is not a lazy sequel even if you ignore the fantastic world design and pacing.

@The Boat: There still is an incentive to learn to be efficient, because otherwise, platin medals in challenge mode are unobtainable.
Yes, you're right, I was talking more about an initial story mode playthrough though.

Raven77

If it doesn't do a lot of new things, then I wont be disappointed at all.

I mean, Pikmin 2 came out, what, 9 years ago? It's not like the game will feel stale to me if I haven't played it in nearly a decade. Now if you're someone who has replayed them recently or something then I guess I could see that.

If you go back and play Pikmin 2 after this you begin to realise just how much they've changed and refined. And that's before you get to mission mode and bingo battle.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nowgamer: 9/10
http://www.nowgamer.com/wiiu/wiiu-reviews/2014378/pikmin_3_review.html

It hasn’t changed all that much from the Gamecube version and yet still Pikmin 3 manages to feel original, and for that reason alone it’s worth your attention.

This is Nintendo. This is what we want to see. Brilliant ideas, well executed. Give Mario and co a well-deserved rest, Nintendo, it's time to let that brilliance shine again

So, I’ve been playing Pikmin 3 for the past couple of weeks as well and my review just appeared online on the Dutch gamesite Gamer.nl. I gave it a 9 out of 10. You can read it here if you know how to read Dutch:

My Gamer.nl review

However, I’ve decided to write up some general impressions for NeoGAF as well. The review will appear on Metacritic and thus will be a part of the overal impression that will last, so I thought, couldn't hurt to tell some stuff on GAF.

My Pikmin 3 impressions

Pikmin 3 is without a shadow of a doubt the best one in the series so far. It’s beautiful, it’s cute, the gameplay is solid, but (imo) most importantly of all: it’s big and challenging. The game starts out slow to learn the basics to everyone, even those that haven’t played the first two games. You start with just one captain, start getting used to the Red, basic Pikmin (they won’t die in fire) and then in a day or so (a day is like 15 minutes in real life) you will get the second captain. Before you know it, you’ll also have the rock Pikmin, that can break glass. They also kill enemies faster if you throw them at their weak spots.

The balance of stress and time has been perfected in this game. Instead of having 30 days or having unlimited time, you have to collect fruit that transforms in drinks for your crew. Each day requires one drink (one drink is enough for all three captains). Some fruit just give half a glass, some fruits two or more glasses. It’s up to you to find out. So in theory, you have a lot of days, but you still have to search for the fruit so that you can ‘make’ new days. And because on some days you are too busy with doing other stuff instead of collecting fruit, you still feel the time pressure. Also, fruit won’t grow back, so you don’t have unlimited days. It worked perfectly for me, although as an experienced player, after some hours of gametime I started to get quite the collection of drinks. I think I ended the game with over 20 drinks.

I was pretty shocked when after a few hours of play I was already in the third area. But this isn’t the first game after you’ve done the basics in the third area, you are advised to visit previous areas and then the game finally opens up, and it opens up in a big way. You realise you have explored just a small part of the map, and there’s still a lot to find since you have acquired new sorts of Pikmin and abilities. Maps open up, almost Metroid-style, and the feeling of getting to previously unaccessible areas is almost euforic. The maps are very big and there are lots of layers to them.

Compared to the previous games, this one feels much more like a story-based game. Not that the story is that impressive, but you’re always working to something instead of trying to complete each area throughout the game. Each day feels like a new ‘mission’ where you have something to do, although later in the game a ‘mission’ can certainly take more than one day. A mission could be: find the third captain, or find something for the spaceship. This way the game makes sure you are constantly engaged and you’ll never get bored.

As far as the controls go, you can use the GamePad, Wiimote+Nuchuck, or Pro Controller, but I used the GamePad. The Wii U is pretty much a new console and damnit, I wanted to use the new controller! For the most part, it works fine, although the Wiimote has the advantage of making you able to aim exactly at where you want Pikmin. This is an advantage because it really matters this time where you throw your Pikmin on an enemy. They all have different weak spots. The GamePad is less precise, but the automatic cursor you get when using the Pad is smart enough and mostly does a good job in judging where you want Pikmin. I haven’t tried the pro controller at all, but I imagine it’s somewhat the same as the GamePad. Also, the Pad has the map and that is one handy extra, especially later in the game. By looking at the map you pause the game, so you can take the time to plan your trip, and you can also let a group of Pikmin with a captain walk automatically to a spot you’ve already been, so you can focus on exploring a new area with another captain and some Pikmin. I have to admit, it takes some getting used to, working with three captains at the same time, but 3 or 4 hours in I was working with them like I’d done it all my life.

Most importantly, I feel the difficulty is just right. In the beginning I was scared this was going to be way too easy, but after a while there were some basic puzzles that made sure you used all three captain in different ways, and the enemies became a lot stronger as well. The graphics are good enough for me. Especially the way nature and the water and fruit is portraid is reaaally pretty. It’s the one thing that makes this a relaxed experience, even though you’ll be stressing out often enough. The length of the game was also just right in my opinion, but I’ll let you discover that for yourself.

So yeah, Pikmin 3 is best Pikmin as far as I’m concerned. I’ve enjoyed myself immensely and I have to say for me its the best game available on Wii U at the moment. Fans will like it and newcomers as well, thanks to a slow beginning that takes it time explaining everything. In a perfect world this would be a huge system seller, as this is a high quality game and it really is for everyone. But I’d imagine all sorts of gamers will think it’s not for them just by looking at it for a minute. It’s a shame, because it’s one of the most fun and satisfying experienced I’ve had this year.

IGN is up: 8.8
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/22/pikmin-3-review

Pikmin 3 is a delight. There’s nothing else like its gentle combination of exploration, strategy and discovery, and it made me feel both empathy and responsibility for virtual creatures that most games would treat as disposable fodder. It transported me like few other games can, giving the feeling of being a stranger in a strange (but oddly familiar) world. It's over too soon, but it leaves a lasting impression.

So...is the op on holiday?

Insidegamer review from the Netherlands 9.0:
best WiiU game thus far

Best strategic Pikmin of the 3

+ Lock on-system makes the game strategicly stronger
+ Beautiful garden environments
+ Flying Pikmin are a brilliant addition
+ simple levels gradually develop to ingenious complex levels
- Would be perfect for co-op...but there is no co-op
- sometimes the pikmin just stand there behind obstacles

Hattori

Banned
Very impressed and pleasantly surprised at the scores it's getting, I had the impression it was pretty mediocre from what I've heard from the 8-4 podcast.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
IGN says it's over too soon, NWR says it's lenghy and a ton of extra content...

hmmmmm where's the truth

afoni

Banned

hmmmmm where's the truth

On Friday night, when some poor fucker sits through the whole game in an entire sitting and then reports back to GAF.

(It might be me)

hmmmmm where's the truth

Haven't read either review but maybe IGN is only taking into account the main mode.

Or they rushed through it.

The other modes seem to give this game almost infinite longevity.

Rehynn

I'm perfectly fine with these reviews. The series has always been a strong 8 for me personally, glad to see that it has retainted the genre-defying/mixing/transcending/bending elements that make it the unique, but not necessarily mind-blowing experience that it is.

It'll probably be about 12 hours. I'm not expecting much more than that for the main story mode. Then fiddle around a bit with the extra modes and that'll be that.

I was always confident this was going to be a great game. Cannot wait!!

Reading some reviews and impressions I want the game even more!

Beyond scores, what's important is where this falls alongside the other two games in the series.

Is it the best Pikmin yet???

Seems to be for some reviewers but haven't read enough to get any kind of consensus.

Yoshi

Besides scores, what's important is where this falls alongside the other two games in the series.

Is it the best Pikmin yet???

Seems to be for some reviewers but haven't read enough to get any kind of consensus.

Yeah, I think so. You might have fond memories of Pikmin 2 but if you play it after you've played this you'll notice 3 has so many little improvements, even if it's missing a couple of P2's best bits (chiefly the Piklopedia).

JDSN

Banned
Eurogamer said:
Oranges and lemons shine out from a mass of green and brown foliage, and in the menus it's surprisingly easy to lose track of time turning a model of an apple around and around, taking in its wonderfully wonky surface and its pockmarked flesh.

Review ghostwritten by George R.R Martin.

Yoshi

Do the wiimote controls need Motion+, by the way? If so I am going to either use my Zelda controller (which I'd rather not) or buy a new one.

No, but Motion Plus works great. But you can also play with traditional pointer controls.

Top Bottom