• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Review Thread [UP2: All reviews are live]

oatmeal

Banned
It's 15+ hours if you get all the fruit, and that's assuming you don't bother with the (excellent) missions, and you'd be mad not to play those. Anyone with a potential opponent for Bingo Battle then gets 12 brilliant levels of competitive multiplayer. It's not as substantial as Pikmin 2's campaign, perhaps, but it's denser and better designed.

Oh, I'm still getting it.

I just wish it was longer...and I won't get much multiplayer time in.

hatchx

Banned
Before review I watched the credits after 15 hours, 44/66 fruits and 46 days (campaign only).

That sounds plenty long. Sounds like a much meatier game than Pikmin 2.

The reviews sound like Pikmin 3 is great! Someone would have to have a heart of coal to give it less than an 8.

Goddamn I sort of have this feeling Pikmin 3 is the last of the series we will see for a long, long, long time. I hope I'm wrong.

Casual

Banned
Looks pretty good. Kind of pissed this didn't come out for the Wii like was advertised for 5 years, but whatever.

oatmeal

Banned
So there are no more dungeons, correct?

Is it more like Pikmin 1?

It's been so long since I played P1...was that all surface based?

I have Pikmin 1 and 2 for Wii untouched right now. Should I knock them out of my backlog really quick in order to truly enjoy this game?

The reviews sound like Pikmin 3 is great! Someone would have to have a heart of coal to give it less than an 8.

Goddamn I sort of have this feeling Pikmin 3 is the last of the series we will see for a long, long, long time. I hope I'm wrong

Well its probably not going to match 1 or 2 in sales, but i wouldn't be suprised if it became a once a generation staple. Also there will likely be a DLC followup because why waste these assets on one game

Casual

Banned
Except it was never advertised for Wii. Just vague mentions a new Pikmin was in development.

I don't really have anything in front of me that specifically mentions Wii, but at the very least it was implied and assumed. It also clearly began development for the Wii.

kubus

I have Pikmin 1 and 2 for Wii untouched right now. Should I knock them out of my backlog really quick in order to truly enjoy this game?
I literally just finished Pikmin 1 on Wii because I still hadn't played that game yet. I definitely recommend it, I can imagine it'll be hard to go back to 1 and 2 (especially 1) after Pikmin 3. Plus, you can beat Pikmin 1 easily within 8 hours. Do it! They're both amazing games.

fred

Great to see so many good reviews, can't wait to get this in the post!

Have just finished Injustice too so it's good timing!

Roo

Great to see the game is getting so many positive reviews.
I have high expectations for this game. So excited :D

Cbajd5

Nah, they each had four.

[Edit] Well, Pikmin 1 had five, but the fifth was basically a one-day puzzle gauntlet leading to the final boss.

Some Pikmin 3 spoilers here:

Pikmin 3's got a fifth world just for the final boss too. It's basically a short beginning fight, a puzzle gauntlet to get away from it with something, and then an actual final fight against it.

It's designed to be done in more than one day though.

Jachaos

So IGN via Keza McDonald, a UK reviewer, has it at 8.8 while IGN Italy has 8.5 and IGN Spain 9.1 huh. Do they all go in the Metacritic aggregate score ?

fred

Goddamn I sort of have this feeling Pikmin 3 is the last of the series we will see for a long, long, long time. I hope I'm wrong.

Or a need to drive internet traffic for advertising. I'm expecting a couple of 6s and 7s for precisely that reason. That's why I don't pay a great deal of attention to those sort of reviews these days.

Sojiro

Unless the reviews stated the game had severe game hindering designs I honestly knew it was a buy regardless of scores. An average of an 8-9 for me sounds about right for the other 2 pikmin games, so i'm sure it fits well here as well. Day one buying this bad boy.

hatchx

Banned
Or a need to drive internet traffic for advertising. I'm expecting a couple of 6s and 7s for precisely that reason. That's why I don't pay a great deal of attention to those sort of reviews these days.

I really like reviews that don't have scores, personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPXs4d2vxdc

Here is one from Family Game TV. It's not a review from a hardcore gamer, and it focuses on the family playing it together. It's a fresh approach and much more in line with Nintendo's core audience.

Casual

Banned
The reviews literally just started coming today, there's already a number of which that scored the game an exact 8...yet if someone from here on out scores it in the 7's (which could be as little as .1 point lower) it's automatically to drive traffic?

C'mon.

BY2K

Membero Americo
pikmin? Has it ever been a big seller?

I mean, it's the beginning, literally. There's at least one big-ish to big Wii U game coming out per month until the end of the year.

August: Pikmin 3
September: Wonderful 101,
October: Wind Waker HD, Sonic Lost World
November: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
December: Super Mario 3D World

hatchx

Banned
I mean, it's the beginning, literally. There's at least one big-ish to big Wii U game coming out per month until the end of the year.

Yup, and sprinkle in Rayman Legends, DuckTales, Batman, Assassins Creed 4, Watch Dogs, and god-help-us let COD:Ghosts hit the system. I'm also excited for Wii Party U.

It's gonna be even better for 3DS/WiiU owners (ie; nintendo fans) with Pokemon and Zelda sprinkled in there.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yup, and sprinkle in Rayman Legends, DuckTales, Batman, Assassins Creed 4, Watch Dogs, and god-help-us let COD:Ghosts hit the system. I'm also excited for Wii Party U.

It's gonna be even better for 3DS/WiiU owners (ie; nintendo fans) with Pokemon and Zelda sprinkled in there.

October/November is going to destroy my wallet.

fred

Plus Wii Fit U in December too. People will say that the fitness game popularity was a fad that's long over but those exact same people said the same thing before Wii Fit Plus was released and that sold around 20m.

If they market Wii Fit U properly and make sure that they convey 2 very important and unique features - the fact that a Mum can exercise whilst using Off-TV Play so they don't disturb their kids' telly or their hubby's football and, most importantly, they have the option to keep their weight privately displayed on the GamePad's screen - it should do pretty well.

And Kinect isn't that much of a threat either because the Wii Fit franchise is the only fitness game that can keep track of your weight.

I'm expecting the Wii U to sell over 3m between 1st November and 31st December.

Yuterald

Man, I'm mopping up all of these games this year. Fall/winter's going to be some fun times on Wii U. Most excited for Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, Pikmin 3, and DKC: Tropical Freeze. As much as I like Wind Waker, I've already completed it twice so I'm not too hyped despite the nice graphical update and other new features. Super Mario 3D World will be fun, but it's nothing to flip out about. More like comfort-gaming. Regardless, the system will feel solid by year's end..

Top Bottom