• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pimax "8k" 200° FoV VR HMD KS page up (not live yet)

Ionic

I'm happy to see more Lighthouse based headsets. It'd be nice to be able to upgrade components like controllers, base stations, and headsets as I see fit instead of swapping it all out every time. But I think the Vive controllers aren't able to be used currently without the headset so this functionality is still probably a generation off. Maybe the Knuckles...

I remember during those interviews where Valve invited a bunch of press in to talk about their projects that Gabe said future generations of headsets would have much, much higher resolution screens and the improvements on that front would be rapid. I wonder if this kind of stuff is what he was thinking about.

Edit: Wait, their Kickstarter has reward tiers that include just the Headset if you have Vive lighthouses and controllers. Is the Pimax able to detect the Vive controllers or can you get a dongle?

cebri.one

8k is an overkill right now. I'm expecting Vive 2 to be in the 1440p-1800p range. If they develop RGB screens with this res they could offer some very nice FOV reducing SDR effect.

pfkas

Do you think a gtx 980 will be enough to drive the 5k panel?

I'm also a little unsure of why the all-in units come with 2x lighthouses but the basic models only support 1 lighthouse for positional tracking.

I have lighthouses and controllers, but no vive - been playing with getting the psvr working with it using a vive tracker.

Paganmoon

Norm from Tested is getting to test the "8K" HMD today apparently.

http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/questions-to-norman/2829

Looking forward to his impressions.

Anyone (Durante?) figured how they'll handle the larger FoV of the display considering the current rendering being based around the smaller FoV and lenses?

Edit:

Norm on Reddit said:
To clarify: we're getting a demo tomorrow, and hoping to interview them as well. We don't know what demo or how long we'll get to use it, nor the state of their hardware/software. I don't consider it a test until we get to use it for an extended period of time under our own test conditions and setups. But super interested to see how it looks and share that with you!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
As such, this isn't an issue, as long as the per-eye FoV doesn't get so large that you can't effectively use linear projection (but I don't think this is at that point)
200 is way past 'usable' with linear projection. As it is, big part of headsets around 100 needing so much supersampling is the linear projection to begin with.

Multi-res helps, but lack of standards on the hw side and shoddy sw (on pc) makes it harder than it needs to be.

Durante

200 is way past 'usable' with linear projection. As it is, big part of headsets around 100 needing so much supersampling is the linear projection to begin with.

Multi-res helps, but lack of standards on the hw side and shoddy sw (on pc) makes it harder than it needs to be.
The per-eye Fov is certainly not 200, nor even close to it.

Shoyz

No info on if this uses SteamVR Tracking 2.0 right?

PimaxVR, via their official forum: "Yes,we will upgrade to TS4231 for the more feature support!"

The headsets are slated for December but the full kit for February, which may be in part due to them using 2.0 Lighthouses (speculation~). They did say though that they may ship out the headsets in Dec, and the rest in Feb if you back the full kit.

Also, unless the Kickstarter clarifies, the 5K version might not be an OLED. It sounds like it'll be using their 'CLPL' LCD screens like the 8K, with 90Hz refresh rate. On their forum, they state that the OLED version is the "5K BE (Business Edition), which runs at 75Hz.

Samaritan

Looks really promising, especially that 200º FOV, but how in the hell are you supposed to power this thing? I'm not even sure a 1080Ti is sufficient for a 4K display at 90FPS+. Their "BrainWarp" solution is really fascinating, and sounds like a great way to reduce performance overhead, but even still, 4K @ a VR-friendly framerate seems at least 1-2 years away for the general PC enthusiast.

A lack of foveated rendering also seems a bit strange, considering that seems like it would significantly cut down on performance needs.

Otherwise, this looks really good. Glad to see they're integrating with SteamVR, and the PSVR-style head mounting solution is really encouraging. I wonder if those controller prototypes are their final design, or if they'll go with a Knuckles variety once they start shipping these.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
The per-eye Fov is certainly not 200, nor even close to it.
Is there any other info than what's on their PR page? That certainly seems to claim it's really 200.
In any case, thinking about this the other way, hw that pushes the FOV envelope is probably a good way to get software support off its ass and start supporting multi-view/res rendering as standard.

Durante

Is there any other info than what's on their PR page? That certainly seems to claim it's really 200.
That's the (claimed) complete HMD FoV.

It would only be the per-eye rendering FoV if the HMD had 100% stereo overlap between the two eyes -- with a more realistic overlap percentage I can't really see it as anything more than 120° per eye or so. Which is still hardly ideal for rectilinear projection, but possible. And simultaneous multi-projection can mostly fix the performance issue.

Looks really promising, especially that 200º FOV, but how in the hell are you supposed to power this thing? I'm not even sure a 1080Ti is sufficient for a 4K display at 90FPS+.
See my previous posts in this thread. On my 1080 (non-ti) I generally render >= 10 megapixels for VR games. This HMD has 16 MP native resolution, and you don't need to fully utilize it to see significant benefits.

Scoobie

Surprised this thing doesn't have eye tracking and foveated rendering. I'd be more excited about a headset that had that at lower resolution than a conventional 8k headset.

Shoyz

Surprised this thing doesn't have eye tracking and foveated rendering. I'd be more excited about a headset that had that at lower resolution than a conventional 8k headset.

They show off an eye tracking module in their accessories video. But considering they show stuff as dubious as a scent module, I'm not sure what in it is real or proof of concept.

I, I might actually be interested.

Wanted to wait for Vive2 or Rift 2. But if this comes out before that (not live kickstarter says february 2018, don´t know if it would stay that way.) i might actually get it. Obviously price would matter as well lol. The biggest reason for passing on the current VR-headset has been the resolution of the displays.

Waiting for it to go live. Do we have any idea when that might be?

Durante

I've posted about this before in the thread:
The potential for foveated rendering is great, but I don't see a realistic way for an independent product like this to spearhead that.

What makes this so enticing (and what makes it possible for a small company to offer a meaningful and desirable product) is that I can use it to play the huge number of OpenVR games I already own at significantly higher fidelity.

To make use of foveated rendering, all the software needs to be aware of it and support it.

If some small company tried to sel me a HMD based on the premise of foveated rendering I'd actually be suspicious of its real-world use.

Shoyz

Pimax started a Q&A yesterday, and posted the FAQ today with this tidbit:
2560*1440 per eye, upscale to 3840*2160 per eye.

So it looks like it's not capable of running native 4K per eye, even if you could power it.
We do plan to offer a 2 DP version with 8K input, but very few people can run it, it requires min 1080ti, it costs much more, and ship later.

Keep the fact in mind: not everybody owns a computer that can run native 4K. We offer from day one the best option for most people:

Pimax 8K with 1 DP - 4K upscale to 8K resolution, require only 980/1070, standard price, the best option for most people.

Pimax 8K with 2 DP - native 2*4K, requires at least 1080ti, standard price+$XX, the option for only few people.

8K 1DP and 8K 2DP share the same mechanical design, we only need to change the hardware PCB and add one more DP cable. Cables are swappable.

Option 1:
You can upgrade from 1DP to 2DP by yourself.

Option 2:
We send 2DP to you directly on estimated May.

So a native 4K per eye will involve either waiting until the revised unit is available (estimated in May 2018), for an extra cost, or you might be able to DIY it by buying the new PCB and disassembling your standard upscaled 8K, should they ever actually offer that option.

Ionic

So the screens are still 4k, but they take a 1440p signal and upscale it because the display port adapter simply doesn't have enough bandwidth to drive a native signal? That makes sense. I was wondering how they were going to make it actually run 2x 4k with DP without some kind of compression, but just upscaling works. At least the screen door effect would be significantly diminished.

iswasdoes

I'm excited by this. However Ive been burned on VR kickstarters before (I backed the omni and then they were unable to ship it, having not thought it would be expensive to ship a colossal treadmill internationally)

Dunno if to support or let this one filter down to the next consumer level...

I'm excited by this. However Ive been burned on VR kickstarters before (I backed the omni and then they were unable to ship it, having not thought it would be expensive to ship a colossal treadmill internationally)

Dunno if to support or let this one filter down to the next consumer level...

It really boils down to price. If it's reasonable, I might bite and wait for the true 8K version (provided they offer it right away, even if it means waiting longer).

tokkun

It seems like they're set to make this thing regardless of the Kickstarter, so I don't see much value in backing unless there is some huge early bird discount offered.

Better to wait for reviews to see if they have fixed the issues from the prototype and to see what other VR headsets are shown at CES in January.

Geedorah

Prices seem to have just gone up.

5k headset only is 399, 349 early bird.
8k headset only is 499, 449 early bird.

edit: and as of 1PM EST, it is up. Jumped in for 8k early bird, seems like an amazing value for someone with the Vive accessories already. When the Vive Grip controllers come out, I'll basically have 2 full working systems!

Prices seem to have just gone up.

5k headset only is 399, 349 early bird.
8k headset only is 499, 449 early bird.

Im all in.

Also, i believe this will give all the answers needed:

BzeKg5r.jpg

Eww, not the same angles, but it should be something amidst this.

vermadas

May have to get this. So don't get the 8k if you don't have a 1080ti?

If I read correctly, the 8K headset will only support 4K effective resolution and upscales to the panel resolution. You need to pay extra for the "8K X" that is due in May to get a unit capable of actual 8K with two DP cables (and minimum 1080ti).

The Tested impressions make this seem like a Vive/Rift 1.5 in many ways. Certainly an upgrade in a few aspects, but it's not a huge jump. The game rendering not accounting for the increased FoV sounded kinda shitty. Norm likened it to 4:3 content stretched to display on 16:9, but not quite as bad. It looks 1:1 or close to it near the center and stretches more close to the edges.

Highlights:

• Wider FoV is the biggest difference. Hard to go back.
  • BUT, it's achieved on games not made native for Pimax by distorting the edges of the screen outwards (the center of your vision isn't distorted). This could cause disconnect if you were aiming at something by just looking in your periphery. That said, they really didn't have any issue with it while playing unless they went out of their way to try since you tend to focus on the center of your vision anyway.
  • Resolution was better specifically for virtual desktop type stuff or video watching but they talk surprisingly little about it. They didn't notice much of an improvement from current gen on the 5k prototype.
  • No "smearing"
  • "Diminished" god rays compared to Rift or Vive.
  • Screen door still present though "different" from the other headsets. Closer to Vive than Rift.
  • Headset was comfortable and light.
  • Lenses could use improvement because of distortion on the outer edges (including inner). Jeremey didn't notice this but did have issues with IPD which seemed to be software based.
  • In the demo they were only getting 4k signal upscaled since they were running off a laptop. They're very curious to see how much of a better experience it would be on a beefy PC (or if it would be at all).

Norm says it's hard to recommend if the lens issues aren't fixed. Jeremy didn't notice any of that though so he thinks it's a tempting proposition if you're just getting the headset and using Vive controllers.

CruelTott

Neo Member
The whole distorted thing sounds wierd. I thought games/engines were supposed to ask the steamvr/oculus API for projection matrices for the eyes...

The whole distorted thing sounds wierd. I thought games/engines were supposed to ask the steamvr/oculus API for projection matrices for the eyes...

I think there's some confusion about this. In the Reddit thread this is mentioned a bit:

DungeonSurvivalDev said:
PSA: Norm is actually mistaken about how this actually works. Developers DO NOT need to retroactively enable wider FOV in existing VR games. The way current VR integration works for Unity/Unreal is that the developer doesn't set the FOV at all, the HMD requests the FOV that it supports, and the engine renders appropriately with that FOV.
For all the main games, the hardware will report its FOV to the game engine, which will then set up the frustum for each eye with that FOV.
Edit: That doesn't mean that there is no distortion at the edges of the lenses, just that it's almost certainly not due to FOV, and likely won't have any FOV issue on release of this headset.

Another comment says this in reply:

kontis said:
SteamVR can adapt games to HMDs with different FOV, but 200 deg is way beyond physical limitations of GPU rasterization pipeline (<180 deg, but even around ~150 the stretching is way too extreme to be practical/efficient enough for reasonable distortion correction). In this case a game would have to render 2 views per eye (4 views total) and stitch them together. Nvidia even has Simultaneous Multi Projection to speed that up, so the tech is there. What if that stretching is actually a fallback from SteamVR and/or game engines for a FOV request that is too wide for them?

Can't really speak to any of that myself or how solid that info is.

CruelTott

Neo Member
I think there's some confusion about this. In the Reddit thread this is mentioned a bit:

PSA: Norm is actually mistaken about how this actually works. Developers DO NOT need to retroactively enable wider FOV in existing VR games. The way current VR integration works for Unity/Unreal is that the developer doesn't set the FOV at all, the HMD requests the FOV that it supports, and the engine renders appropriately with that FOV.
For all the main games, the hardware will report its FOV to the game engine, which will then set up the frustum for each eye with that FOV.
Edit: That doesn't mean that there is no distortion at the edges of the lenses, just that it's almost certainly not due to FOV, and likely won't have any FOV issue on release of this headset.

Another comment says this in reply:

SteamVR can adapt games to HMDs with different FOV, but 200 deg is way beyond physical limitations of GPU rasterization pipeline (<180 deg, but even around ~150 the stretching is way too extreme to be practical/efficient enough for reasonable distortion correction). In this case a game would have to render 2 views per eye (4 views total) and stitch them together. Nvidia even has Simultaneous Multi Projection to speed that up, so the tech is there. What if that stretching is actually a fallback from SteamVR and/or game engines for a FOV request that is too wide for them?

Can't really speak to any of that myself or how solid that info is.

Aah, it being the lenses creating the distortion makes sense.

The second thing I don't think should be a problem since it's only the combined FOV that is 200 deg, not each individual eye.

Uhyve

kontis said:
It's probably only ~120° per viewport (eye) so it shouldn't be the rendering pipeline causing an issue.

Edit: Heh, beaten.

Durante

Of course this goes live while I have one of my very rare social events :p

I guess I'll keep an eye out for an early bird tier opening up.

Highlights:

• Wider FoV is the biggest difference. Hard to go back.
  • BUT, it's achieved on games not made native for Pimax by distorting the edges of the screen outwards (the center of your vision isn't distorted). This could cause disconnect if you were aiming at something by just looking in your periphery. That said, they really didn't have any issue with it while playing unless they went out of their way to try since you tend to focus on the center of your vision anyway.
  • Resolution was better specifically for virtual desktop type stuff or video watching but they talk surprisingly little about it. They didn't notice much of an improvement from current gen on the 5k prototype.
  • No "smearing"
  • "Diminished" god rays compared to Rift or Vive.
  • Screen door still present though "different" from the other headsets. Closer to Vive than Rift.
  • Headset was comfortable and light.
  • Lenses could use improvement because of distortion on the outer edges (including inner). Jeremey didn't notice this but did have issues with IPD which seemed to be software based.
  • In the demo they were only getting 4k signal upscaled since they were running off a laptop. They're very curious to see how much of a better experience it would be on a beefy PC (or if it would be at all).

Norm says it's hard to recommend if the lens issues aren't fixed. Jeremy didn't notice any of that though so he thinks it's a tempting proposition if you're just getting the headset and using Vive controllers.
Another point in the interview is that they confirmed that the full bundle (with their own base stations and controllers) will be SteamVR tracking 2.0.

Soi-Fong

Of course this goes live while I have one of my very rare social events :p

I guess I'll keep an eye out for an early bird tier opening up.

Another point in the interview is that they confirmed that the full bundle (with their own base stations and controllers) will be SteamVR tracking 2.0.

The 8K Vive early bird tier seems to be all gone though.

This is confusing. There are three versions on the page from what I can tell.

- 5k version -- self-explanatory. Accepts 5k and outputs 5k.
- 8k version -- less clear. Outputs 8k definitely, but potentially only takes 5k input and upscales to 8k?
- 8k X version -- Not even mentioned on their main campaign page. However, they say in the FAQ that this will have different "chips" and an additional DisplayPort cable to accommodate the additional bandwidth. Thus, I can only conclude that this is the only version which will accept 8k input and output 8k?

So, if you want a TRUE 8k image, and have a 1080Ti, or planning to upgrade in 2018, then you need the 8k X?

Durante

This is confusing. There are three versions on the page from what I can tell.

- 5k version -- self-explanatory. Accepts 5k and outputs 5k.
- 8k version -- less clear. Outputs 8k definitely, but potentially only takes 5k input and upscales to 8k?
- 8k X version -- Not even mentioned on their main campaign page. However, they say in the FAQ that this will have different "chips" and an additional DisplayPort cable to accommodate the additional bandwidth. Thus, I can only conclude that this is the only version which will accept 8k input and output 8k?

So, if you want a TRUE 8k image, and have a 1080Ti, or planning to upgrade in 2018, then you need the 8k X?
It's clearly not that confusing since you got it exactly right :p

It was also discussed a bit earlier in this thread.
(Except that none of them is really "8k" or "5k", we should really be talking about 2560x1440x2 and 3840x2160x2)

It's clearly not that confusing since you got it exactly right :p

It was also discussed a bit earlier in this thread.
(Except that none of them is really "8k" or "5k", we should really be talking about 2560x1440x2 and 3840x2160x2)

Well, I'm glad I got it right at least! :D Just wish they made it explicit on their actual campaign page and not as a point within their FAQ at the very bottom.

Managed to get the 8k X full version (early bird!) pledged. Though, tbh I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to keep it. Will keep an eye on the campaign as it unfolds.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Ha, that got funded quickly.

I think I'll hold off for now. I'd be going for the 8K X, but things sound a bit preliminary on that - will just check back in May 2018 to see how that went and maybe get in on the second round.

Top Bottom