• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Eden $0.99 Steam sale huge sucess, made entire income in 8 hours

If you follow the discussion you will see enough comments from both him and a Q-Games employee, that trashtalking him is not neccessary.

lol
There's always that one guy who will come to someone's defense just to go against the grain; no matter how unwarranted/undeserving.
That guy is you in this case.

Nzyme32

Urgh, hope that Abrasion guy isn't a Gaffer, what an arsey way to talk to a dev. I got the game quite a while ago and really enjoyed it till I had to leave it for a while and lost track of what I was doing. I'll definitely be playing it and finishing it. I like the sales for things like this where I can have a brief read about it and buy it on a whim, and if I enjoy it, be more active following and purchasing the next games. A lot of my favourite games have been discovered this way. Fantastic news for them either way and congratulations to them. A great way to go into the new year!

desertdroog

Bought because this topic reminded me it was on Steam.

I only played the demo on the PS3 and it didn't click with me then. I'm hoping I can get a fresh look at it on the PC.

If you follow the discussion you will see enough comments from both him and a Q-Games employee, that trashtalking him is not neccessary.

He wasn't having a discussion, he was trying to have Q validate his preconceived biases about how $1 games are bad and all games should be on the PS4 or fail financially even though it barely has an install base yet.

Corto

Come to think of it, how is the shaking your controller part replaced in the PC version in PJ Eden?

Press left and right mouse buttons simultaneously. The kb/m control scheme works flawlessly. After a few minutes of accommodation it felt like cheat mode coming from the PS3 version.

Alec

I missed it at .99. Gonna wait until the zero hour in hopes it hits that low again. Will definitely buy.

coldfoot

Banned
Press left and right mouse buttons simultaneously. The kb/m control scheme works flawlessly. After a few minutes of accommodation it felt like cheat mode coming from the PS3 version.
A mouse is more precise than a controller, that's not really a surprise lol.
But I'd rather run my left fingers through a cheese grater than to use a keyboard for gaming unless it's a typing game. In my world keyboards are for typing and never for playing games :)

Nzyme32

I hope you are not actually trying to play the card "I have all these platforms and this makes me very neutral".
Please, don't. Just don't.
Not when you just twitted something like this:

j5jEOjAyZsroU.png

Dam, this is like the pseudo-racism I occasionally get, of "I have other brown friends, so I can say x"

It just makes me sad the poor bastards have to drop the price of good games to $1 - I'm glad as fuck they made money but it's just a crying shame a game like Eden is $1 (in some ways I think it's one of their best games, it's the most unique, best soundtrack, visually stunning - hell it had youtube fucking uploads LONG before many other games)

I have a particular grievance with this. A large amount of my purchases revolve around this and sub £3 games. It allows me to try things on a whim based on a few reviews or opinions from friends or gaf or youtube. I'd say 80% of the time, I enjoy the games so much that I pay more for sequels or other projects by those devs as I am excited for those new games. This is also true for a large amount of the music I listen too, from artists via bandcamp/soundcloud who would otherwise not receive much support in their future endeavours.

Corto

A mouse is more precise than a controller, that's not really a surprise lol.
But I'd rather run my left fingers through a cheese grater than to use a keyboard for gaming unless it's a typing game. In my world keyboards are for typing and never for playing games :)

Absolutely, but I wasn't expecting it to work so well in a swinging simulation game. Hehe

L3E2

I didn't even know that Pixeljunk games were on Steam till I seen it on sale. Bought it asap, without any hesitation, as I enjoyed playing their games on my friends PS3.

Still haven't touched it though on my PC. Glad that giving such a discount boosted their sales phenomenally.

Popup

I think this game ranks as one of my favorite titles in many years. Been constantly gaming since the late 70's and this game manages to conjure up that perfect computer game experience of engaging the imagination to the extent that you feel inside the game, simple goals, simple rewards but feeling great to achieve. The latch on and swing mechanics provide genuine risks to take and often accompanied with heart in the mouth moments along the way and, although the design seems quite simplistic, it manages to make you really want to see that 'next' screen or part of the map. Added to that, a great, hypnotic soundtrack to boot!

Holy crap, listen to me. Sorry!

gondwana

between digidrive, eden and their dsiware, q-games has to be one of my secret favorite developers. never quite realized how much i liked them. very talented bunch. glad to hear this

Ya, $0.99 is well into double or triple dipping territory if I remotely like a game.

I decided recently that $3.75 (aka 75% off a $15 game, lulz) is my exact threshold for this. I bought Spelunky and Guacamelee a second time to play on Vita in this last sale.

Personally, I just think digital games are too expensive for what you get, and that if the prices were lower companies would make up the differences with increased volume. I just don't think companies have hit that sweet spot for digital games.

I don't see how this could possibly be true on PC, where competition between Steam, Origin, Amazon, GOG, Greenman, etc. has all but guaranteed that every AAA title will get sold for $10 within a year of release and every indie game will be perennially discounted and bundled to a fraction of its launch price. The PC marketplace is doing an excellent job of price discriminating in the most efficient way possible: selling products early to price-insensitive gamers at higher prices, but then capturing people who want to pay a lower price within a short time frame.

I would definitely agree on closed systems; Sony's ecosystem probably has the most effective and elaborate discount program going on right now, and it's still shy of what I'd like to see.

HiVision

Yeah it's not really clear what they mean by "made our income". Made their goal income for the year? Made their game budget? Doubled their income from before to after the sale?

(Dylan here) That tweet was sent before I had finished writing it, so I deleted it when I realised it had sent and re-wrote it. It seems it still shows up on some people's feeds.

wizzbang

Banned
I have a particular grievance with this. A large amount of my purchases revolve around this and sub £3 games. It allows me to try things on a whim based on a few reviews or opinions from friends or gaf or youtube. I'd say 80% of the time, I enjoy the games so much that I pay more for sequels or other projects by those devs as I am excited for those new games. This is also true for a large amount of the music I listen too, from artists via bandcamp/soundcloud who would otherwise not receive much support in their future endeavours.

People continue to interpret my intentions incorrectly.
My point regarding that was frustration and disappointment for the Q-Games guys, because selling games like Eden as cheap as $1 is sad because it's so good. It's a compliment to the team, I feel like it's worth significantly more and it's a shame they only get noticed when their stuff is on a firesale.

Am I glad they made heaps of cash? of course I am. I just kinda wish they made even more, I wish people had purchased the game earlier. I have PJM:U and PJ:E on PC purely to support Q-Games. As is obvious in the thread I don't play my PC too often anymore, but I'm happy to support them regardless.
(I also continue to buy mostly those 2 games, because they are the most quirky Q have made, I prefer their quirky stuff to the newer traditional 'game games' like shooter)

of course I've explained this about 19 different damn times across 2 separate threads on the issue but people only ever read the op rather than subsequent followups unfortunately!

Still holding out for more Eden or Monsters, I have no issues with them making sequels to their 2 best games :)

HiVision

I suppose if people haven't read our twitter chats over the past couple of years they could misconstrue wizzbang's tweets. He just wanted us to make even more money - which I wish more people would want :)

The 8 hour flash sale allowed us to finally break even (and then some) on the port of Eden. Most PixelJunk titles take years to break even and we make them not to get rich, but from the love of games. We don't want to find the exact formula to make us rich, we just want to make games that we also enjoy. So far so good.

wizzbang

Banned
I suppose if people haven't read our twitter chats over the past couple of years they could misconstrue wizzbang's tweets. He just wanted us to make even more money - which I wish more people would want :)

Dylan I am stuck with about 52$ US credit left on my PSN account and my PS4 is aching for a game, do you have any idea what I should do about this? :D

Top Bottom