• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Places You're NEVER Going to Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malvolio

Five Guys. Yes, the fries are plentiful and not terrible, but the burgers are about as bland as you can get and the prices are insane. I've tried three different locations in an effort to understand the hype and left disappointed each and every time.

Kater

Banned
McDonald's and Starbucks. Too much sugar and the coffee isn't that great there either.

Bars. The people that I met there I just couldn't stand, most of the time. With the exception of a handsome guy from Denmark once but that's years ago.

the dallas/ft worth area. went to visit a friend one time and it was exactly like phoenix except even more spread out and flat. instead of authentic Mexican food it was terrible "Mexican" food and every other placed served barbecue. oh and stores stopped selling liquor at 9pm.

just a big flat pile of boring.

Golden Corral was the one place I pulled a "never again" on as a child, due to becoming violently ill. I actually think that's the last time I vomited, and it was probably about 15 years ago, so it's good to see that I wasn't necessarily blaming the place on a bad childhood experience.

I also don't know if they've since become better about this, but I was done with TGI Fridays after they updated their menus/image, because as a vegetarian they pretty much just gave me a big old middle finger. Not a single entree without meat in it. I had to order a fried green beans appetizer as my meal last time I went. Bleh.
It's pretty common for museums to ban photography. It's something you make sure you check with them first if you have an assignment to do.

Komo

Banned
whats your story? I love Australia...sans Adelaide of course

So my answer would be Adelaide and I'd say Paris as well.

Whilst I'd recommend Australia to be a cool place to tour and visit and many people live here happily, I've always felt alienated. I don't mean to sound emo or anything, hah. Really though, I just don't have any connection to the land and anyone or anything on it. I desire to live elsewhere, and I hopefully will have that opportunity in the future.

Rich!

Whilst in Venice, me and my dad went on a free boat trip to an island. When we got there we were told it'd cost 50 euros each to get back

NEVER AGAIN

Blair

Banned
There seems to be quite an abundance of hate for Paris. And they call it the city of romance.

I went to Paris for a day with my sister and her fiancé. Had a fun time walking everywhere and coming from str8 outta London the prices were no shock.

Plus there was this cool painting that i wanted to steal as a nice wedding gift

12341_1015274798650562gss4.jpg

But anyway, Newquay, UK. I don't know if it was just the timing (during the world cup) but the nightlife was ALL dudes. Seriously it was just massive groups of men. Fuck that.

But newquay has the best english surf! I hate the stags though. In a similar vein - Matt's surf lodge in newquay. That place is the holiest of holes, disgusting. Also... Wendy's, that shit's far too greasy!

Magical Drop

Neo Member
Brussels.

Highlights included being forced to eat in a restaurant that was infested with cockroaches and getting a lit cigarette flicked into the back of my head by a gang of chavs looking to start a fight.

Worst holiday I've ever had.

G0523

Lol, no.

Being filthy rich in Cleveland would suck. Nothing to do here, and living in a mansion with a view of nasty ass Lake Erie doesn't appeal to anybody.

You'd actually be surprised. For all of my complaining about how there's nothing to do in Cleveland, almost all of my rich friends love the city. They're always going to nice (or niceish) restaurants on E. 4th St. or in Tremont. They go on ski trips, art museums, Playhouse Square for shows, skydiving, just to name a few of the things they do. I've been with them a couple of times on the trips because LOL NO MONEYZ but we had fun times. They do eat out a lot though. I can't afford to do that 3-4 times a week (yes I'm serious).

I guess rich people in Cleveland like Cleveland because they're big fish in a small pond.

thomaser

Litomerice in the Czech Republic was impossibly dreary. But it was in January, so I'll give it some slack. A very grey, dull town, with soot all over the place. Ate at a restaurant in a big hall, almost like a gym. They had sooty plates, and refused to give us clean ones.

Worst place I've ever been to was a restaurant in Denmark called Saltum Kro. It was like entering Fawlty Towers. An idiotic server who looked exactly like Manuel, with untied shoelaces, kept forgetting our order. I think we ordered three times to no avail. We sat there for well over two hours without getting our food. The people at the table beside us eventually got their food, but no utensils. WE got utensils after a while, and even some soda, but no food. The server seemed drunk. We could hear him laughing in the kitchen together with a woman (the cook?) Maybe they had sex in there instead of cooking, I dunno. We left after close to three hours and got some burgers instead. The place still exists, but it got new owners some years ago and is supposedly a really good gourmet-restaurant now. So... I'll probably actually go back if I'm ever in the vicinity again.

Boogiepop

It's pretty common for museums to ban photography. It's something you make sure you check with them first if you have an assignment to do.

It's the result of getting dragged somewhere as a group that I even ended up there in the first place. Had I known they had changed their menu as such I would've spoken up against it, but I don't exactly keep an up to date log of restaurant menus (though I guess nowadays I could easily check my phone, that definitely wasn't an option back then). I'm not always going to insist when out with people that we meet my standards, and usually a restaurant will at least be decent enough to offer a single entree without meat. I'm used to "what is the option I can eat," but I'm not used to "there is literally nothing I can eat here," and that's including steakhouses and other places that people wouldn't ever think of as something good for a vegetarian.

It's their choice to not offer anything whatsoever for me to eat, but as a result I'm obviously not going to be giving them my business in the future, and thus will "NEVER" be going there again.

olore

Paris. No need to see it again for at least twenty years

Egypt. The pyramids are fantastic, awesome, surreal cool. Most native egypts are not

SmartBase

Then why are you not returning?

There were lynx tracks going through neighbors yard. I guess the animal thought he would find more cats as a lynx ate one last winter. There are also bears across the lake where I live. Animals are cool and attacks on humans are rare.

My previous post kinda alluded to why, but I also find the place and its contents to be utterly boring and life draining.

Once I finish my degree there I probably won't return to Australia either except to maybe retire.

Picobrain

Banned
Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Qatar… actually all countries in Middle East. Cannot wait for my contract to be over so I can go out from here and never to come back.

Nozem

Venice

It's a stinky sewer, barely still above ground. I had the misfortune of going during flood season...so I had to experience water up to my waist. Not fun and I had to throw out some shoes and clothes. Even had it not been a flooded disgusting mess, I don't think I understand the draw. Everything is just super touristy and the restaurants are ridiculously expensive. The food isn't even as good as other places in Italy either.

Whilst in Venice, me and my dad went on a free boat trip to an island. When we got there we were told it'd cost 50 euros each to get back

NEVER AGAIN

My gf really wants to go to Venice. What's a good alternative?

GringoJB

Fuck them, I'm not joining in on their stupid sandwich larping fantasy.

Hehe, the that you phrased this made me laugh so hard :) Thank you...

Given the choice, I'd never go back down to most places in Appalachia here in the US. I understand that it can be pretty and scenic and whatnot, but really, most places I've been are shitholes and some stupid situation/problem happens when I'm down there 99.9% of the time.

Halcyon

I strongly dislike Burlington Coat Factory and places like Marshalls/TJMax/etc

I hate that people are shopping at these places because they can find "brand name" clothes for cheap. All the mens clothes in these stores are garbage and the reason they are there is because nobody wanted to buy them in the first place.

It's probably different for women's clothing but I will not go into these stores unless I am dragged in.

Halcyon

Lol, no.

Being filthy rich in Cleveland would suck. Nothing to do here, and living in a mansion with a view of nasty ass Lake Erie doesn't appeal to anybody.

Hey, Lake Erie(in Erie) is very pretty. This is a photo from Misery Bay which I guess is not technically Lake Erie.

Oxn

Paris. Rest of France was great though.

Edit: I'll explain a bit more. Did the whole Eurotrip thing this last summer, and generally people everywhere were awesome, friendly, and helpful, except for Paris it seemed. Several times there I was criticized for not knowing the language. Even made the effort to try to speak as much French as I could. I met plenty of awesome French people on my trip and traveled through several parts of France and generally had a great experience, but Paris left a bad taste. Its expensive and generally I found it much less fun and interesting than a city like Barcelona which is a place I would visit a million times over.

But yeah there are far worse places on this planet to visit like Fresno and Stockton.

Just last month i did a 2 week trip starting with barcelona then paris

Hated paris
Almost got pick pocketed my first day there
My friends almost got robbed by the eiffel tower
Then almost got robbed again by a bunch of maybe 12 year old gipsy girls on the train
Constantly checking on our bags everywhere we went
Rude people

Like barcelona alot
Had no issues there

ScribbleD

The Imperial Palace hotel in Vegas, which is now known as The Quad I think. What a filthy hovel staffed with rude shitbags that place is.

LogicStep

Burger King. I've never been a fan a of their food so I don't really go there but a few weeks back my friend wanted to go there and I got so sick from it, ended up puking all the food that night. If I remember anything else I will post again since I don't think if have sworn off many places.

kirby_fox

Banned
The city of Niagara Falls, NY is dreadful. Barely any food choices, every store built is to push crappy, overpriced merchandise with the Niagara Falls name on it. Everything looks run down and almost like an abandoned town that was built up in the late 80s or early 90s that never got a new coat of paint. I have no desire to go into the city again.

The park was the only thing that looked taken care of and the only part I'd return to.

Stockton, CA. Stinking asshole of Northern California. Worst 18 months of my life. I was so depressed when I left, I burned my bridges in a way I'm embarrassed to think about to this day.

Fuck Stockton.

mackattk

K-mart.

Relative bought us a gift card to there. Place is pure trash. I walked around for 20 minutes trying to figure out what to buy. Found that they sold gift cards to other places. I picked up a $50 amazon gift card.... Went up to the cash register and they said it was cash only. Since K-Mart gift cards are as good as cash for the store I didn't think anything of it. They denied me. Ended up getting two $30 T-mobile refill cards, which they didn't want to do, but was able to make it happen in the end.

I am not mad that they refused the amazon gift card, I can understand their reasoning. But the place was so disgusting that I felt like I needed to take a shower after leaving.

CiCi's pizza. Simply terrible.

Me and my friends always call it Fici's pizza.

Kreed

Anybody in the South Florida area probably knows to stay the fuck away from Brandsmart USA.

brandsmartusa.jpg

It's a plane of Hell operating under the guise of a discount warehouse store like Walmart, but once you enter you might never be able to escape.

I had a completely different answer coming into this thread but this is the only answer right here. Made the mistake of coming in here once to buy a Samsung HDTV that was on sale (The TV price was worth it though). For those who have never been in one, look at this barely organized mess:

ZvuThfQ.jpg

That's a normal day. Now imagine it on a big shopping day like black friday. People with Walmart/Target horror stories have no idea.

I don't understand all these people who get sick/food poisoning from all these restaurants or fast food places. I mean based off this thread it seems to be a consistent theme. Wouldn't we be hearing more and more about it and some of these places would have to either change their food prep or something or get shut down? I guess it's like the whole "After I eat Taco Bell I have the runs thing"....must be my innards are made of steel.

In terms of places I will never go again, fuck Ikea. Damn place is like purgatory; it never ends if you end up going through the Showroom and EVERYONE takes a damn eternity to move five feet. So many people looking for cheap, unaesthically pleasing furniture (imo). Sure, I have a few things from there like an LED Light Kit and a lamp, but it's so cheaply made. During the week in the early morning it's not so bad, but going on a weekend made me hate that place with a passion.

I had a completely different answer coming into this thread but this is the only answer right here. Made the mistake of coming in here once to buy a Samsung HDTV that was on sale (The TV price was worth it though). For those who have never been in one, look at this barely organized mess:

ZvuThfQ.jpg

That's a normal day. Now imagine it on a big shopping day like black friday. People with Walmart/Target horror stories have no idea.

Looks like something out of a Simpsons episode.

LogicStep

That sucks for all the people saying France/Paris. I went to parts of France and stayed in Paris for a couple of days and it was great. The city is gorgeous and I didn't run into any unpleasant people, in fact, they were all pretty nice. Though.. I was told that French people didn't like Americans so I always started my conversations with strangers in Spanish and if they didn't understand then I would try English and it would be smooth sailing. I never initiated with English but of course, that might had nothing to do with my experience.

mhs004

Mountain view, Arkansas. My home town.

It's full of nothing but racist, homophobic, and hateful old people. If your an atheist then everyone hates you, hell if your not baptist everyone hates you. It's full of inbred rednecks also, seriously I fear for my butt every time I go home. There is nothing but shity folk music playing all the time, our towns claim to fame. All there is to do is go to Walmart or do meth as well, which everyone here does because their white trash.

Fuck my home town.

Went to the suks (Arab marketplace) in Tunisia a few years ago as part of a cruise excursion. The shops are packed in tight and the owners stand out on these narrow streets and try to draw you in, including grabbing the badges my children were wearing around their necks. I was like "don't be touching my kid, you fucks." We got our asses out of there and waited for 30+ minutes near the bus with a few other families who were not interested in tackling shopping in the suks.

Definitely would not do the suks again. Might be tempted to do other things in Tunisia -- we saw Carthage as well, which was okay but it's basically been razed to the ground at this point -- but the suks are in the "never again" category.

daveo42

Banned
Gary, Indiana: I drive past this city on the interstate every time I take a trip up to Chicago to hang out with some friends over a long weekend. The last time I needed to stop and get gas and stopped at a gas station in Gary. The area I was in had a peculiar smell, though it wasn't overpowering. The stink just kind of hung in the air.

After filling up, my friend (who was traveling with me) and I run in to grab snack and drinks for the long road home. Not 5 seconds after we enter, 2 officers come in and end up cornering a guy in the bathroom over some sort of charges. We left in quite a hurry and vowed to never stop again in Gary.

McDonalds: It's terrible fast food and every tastes somewhere between bland and disgusting. Also, I get really bad heartburn from eating pretty much anything on their menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom