• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Places You're NEVER Going to Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

:(

It's shit, I live there.

To be fair, my time there was a layover when I was coming home from Maui. I slid the plane window closed after looking out at this place I had finally managed to move to but had to go back home, and my layover was in Phoenix. Slid the window open in the morning and all I could see was dust and heat and I just don't like desert climate. It was only about 3 hours, but even just the difference in the air was bumming me the hell out.

NEVER AGAIN.

Hollywood in general, or just that area by the Chinese theater?

San Jose, California. Was born there and lived there for several years of my childhood until my family moved up to Boise, Idaho. I never understood why we moved to Boise from San Jose as a kid, but I went several times in/after high school and understood why; it's such a hole. Fuck San Jose.

That said, Boise is a nice place to revisit, but I never want to live anywhere in Idaho again.

I went to San Jose to see Tom Waits. I like the weather, but the train station is a toilet.

Jaffaboy

Weston-super-Mare in the UK, more specifically Brean. It's a place by the coast but the beach is terrible (it's just mud) and there is literally nothing to do other than go to this one inbred pub. We started the night playing bingo with old biddies, and then suddenly there was a Britney Spears tribute act performer who was stripped down to her underwear. Very surreal. What was worse was there was a handicapped guy there who just stood at the front of the stage rocking back and forth, it looked like he may have been jerking it. Creepy ass place.

I'll also never go to Hull again if I can help it, it just pure sucks. I'd say the same for Bradford too if the curry there wasn't so delicious!

SBH

I can't think of a place where I never would visit again. I have had shitty experiences, but it wasn't the place so often, but the people, accidents or me just being miserable.

Definitely not going back to Finland if I can help it, much rather go next door to the west if I had to go up there again.

But if we're talking about businesses then it'd be Ted's Cameras, those guys are clueless.
I want to hear funny horror stories about Finland.

Fritz

oh hell no, you have to tell us what happened. I want to visit NZ one day and I want to know why I shouldn't go there.

Okay, As beautiful as NZ is, as shitty is this "city". It's small and miserable, the people there were miserable, the weather was, as was the beach and the scenery. It's probably twice as worse because everywhere else the country is so nice. It's like a black hole that sucks you in.

600px-GreymouthPanorama2009.JPG

Greymouth, there has never been a more apt name.

mozfan12

Banned
Paris. Rest of France was great though.

Edit: I'll explain a bit more. Did the whole Eurotrip thing this last summer, and generally people everywhere were awesome, friendly, and helpful, except for Paris it seemed. Several times there I was criticized for not knowing the language. Even made the effort to try to speak as much French as I could. I met plenty of awesome French people on my trip and traveled through several parts of France and generally had a great experience, but Paris left a bad taste. Its expensive and generally I found it much less fun and interesting than a city like Barcelona which is a place I would visit a million times over.

But yeah there are far worse places on this planet to visit like Fresno and Stockton.

SmartBase

I can't think of a place where I never would visit again. I have had shitty experiences, but it wasn't the place so often, but the people, accidents or me just being miserable.

I want to hear funny horror stories about Finland.

I was stuck in a lakeside sauna once because a bear was roaming around, that was fun. But totally not why I'm not returning to that dreary place.

Adelaide, Australia. Boring city full of parochial bogans.

London, England. Full of chavs, snobs, beggars and generally unpleasant people.

Denmark. While Copenhagen is nice most of the country is a flat dull landscape bereft of anything notable.

Seanspeed

Banned
And Golden Corral. One visit to that place was enough for a lifetime.
Maybe 4 or 5 years ago, my girlfriend and I decided to go, as there was one right near where we moved to and the all-you-can-eat shrimp thing they had going on sounded pretty good. I hadn't been in ages. She'd never been.

It was genuinely the worst 'dining experience' I've ever had. Nothing was good or even decent. Nothing. It was just bad food after bad food. "Ok, this is shit, I'm gonna go try some other stuff." Nope, all bad. Not one redeeming food I could at least single out and eat lots of.

My girlfriend actually found some stuff she thought was ok. I thought she was crazy, but she also had slightly different standards than I did. She'd never really gone out to eat much, had never even been to Olive Garden or Red Lobster or anything! She also thought ketchup packets from fast food places were better than the ketchup you buy at stores. Basically, you couldn't really take her opinion on food very seriously. lol

Anyways, even though I'd been to Golden Corral when I was younger, I guess growing up and forming some even basic level of standard allowed me to see how god damn awful that place is. The price *is* too good to be true. And you cant drink alcohol there, either(something else I wouldn't have realized when I went when I was younger).

Paris. Rest of France was great though.

Edit: I'll explain a bit more. Did the whole Eurotrip thing this last summer, and generally people everywhere were awesome, friendly, and helpful, except for Paris it seemed. Several times there I was criticized for not knowing the language. Even made the effort to try to speak as much French as I could. I met plenty of awesome French people on my trip and traveled through several parts of France and generally had a great experience, but Paris left a bad taste. Its expensive and generally I found it much less fun and interesting than a city like Barcelona which is a place I would visit a million times over.
Went to Paris.

Asked a person in the subway station if they spoke English cuz we needed some help.

"No, I don't speak English."

In perfectly good English.

Fucking asshole.

SBH

I was stuck in a lakeside sauna once because a bear was roaming around, that was fun. But totally not why I'm not returning to that dreary place.
Then why are you not returning?

There were lynx tracks going through neighbors yard. I guess the animal thought he would find more cats as a lynx ate one last winter. There are also bears across the lake where I live. Animals are cool and attacks on humans are rare.

Anion

This one Indian restaurant in a Columbus, OH suburb. When you order a plate, they asked what level of spice you want (0-10). I asked for like 2...and I don't want to imagine what 3, 4, or 5 was like. I cannot even fathom 10. For the record, I eat spicy stuff in general

Anywhere in Florida or Pennsylvania.

I traveled to at least 30 States and those two were the worst by a wide margin.
I is sad. Personally I think PA is pretty cool, since I live there ;)

Any NJ highway. Because of potholes on the highways...

Dubai and Egypt. Never again!
Dubai at first stunned me man. I was like, "is this possible to have this many rich people in such a place" (after seeing a Bugatti for the first time and noticing the shear number of Bentleys, Maseratis, and Rolls Royces...)

Then I noticed the disparity between the rich and the poor. That really stuck me. And also the atmosphere felt, like as though the city was superficial or something. I don't know, Dubai was the first city I ever felt like that. (I've been to a decent amount of cities btw)

This restaurant in town, think it was called the Carroussel. It was just horrible. Everything was heated up supermarket food. One toilet was broken and they were fixing it the evening we were there. Horrible sewage smell. They apologized for it, but fuck that, close your restaurant for the evening then, can't have your guests eat while copious amounts of shit particles are flying around.

MightyKAC

Kuwait.

Went there as a sailor about 8 months after the USS Cole got bombed.

Assigned first watch on the first day Pier side and lemme tell you, that shit was TENSE.

Didn't wanna go there when I had to.

Hated every minute I spent there.

Would NEVER go back there no matter how much they paid me.

Pyrokai

I didn't look. You said Giant Eagle and I believe that's a Cleveland area only grocery store. :)

In the very next post after the OP, you'll see I mentioned that Giant Eagle has a monopolist on the southern Pittsburgh area. Cleveland is like a treasure trove of grocery stores in comparison :p .

Originally from Akron here.

Arksy

I live in Adelaide and am not surprised that people are naming my city.

Paris is incredible, I loved it so much. I had someone showing me around who was a local so I got herded around like a mule. It was really awesome. But I can't say I'm not surprised that there are people who wouldn't want to go back.

I'm going to add Bali to my list as well. Depressing and dirty beaches. Not well looked after at all. The people are at least nice.

No disresptect to people who live there, but i would never go back to Australia and Brazil , I hate everything about those places

Why;
-Brazil : I hate happy people, I got so sick I almost die there, and I hate how people is there all happy and stuff

- Australia: at least the people I waswith was too egocentric,shallow and was the most boring people alive. no parties no girls just talk about their diets, abs and drink coffee

:lol, I love your irrational criticism.

Weston-super-Mare in the UK, more specifically Brean. It's a place by the coast but the beach is terrible (it's just mud) and there is literally nothing to do other than go to this one inbred pub. We started the night playing bingo with old biddies, and then suddenly there was a Britney Spears tribute act performer who was stripped down to her underwear. Very surreal. What was worse was there was a handicapped guy there who just stood at the front of the stage rocking back and forth, it looked like he may have been jerking it. Creepy ass place.

I'll also never go to Hull again if I can help it, it just pure sucks. I'd say the same for Bradford too if the curry there wasn't so delicious!

I was going to say Brean too. Pontins Brean Sands is the most depressing shithole that ever shat.

While I was there the water cut out, and the stove was so dirty the dirt caught fire.

New Delhi India - place is full of creepy ultra horny men. Everytime i went somewhere with my sister, i saw many men giving her bad looks. In one incident a car followed us on highway with two men starring at her and giving her bad looks. No way am i going there again

Gamestop|eb games

G0523

As for you OP, you kinda just need to keep expectations in check. The first story was fine, report her, the second I understand. Its not really Big Lots fault, its minimum wage paid to the shittiest generation ever, I've had experiences similar almost everywhere I go. A few days ago I went to a supermarket named Budweys and the cashier never acknowledged me, only talking to another cashier. That would have been fine but she even slowed and stopped checking me out for a few moments to finish her train of thought all while never even having said a word to me. I don't blame Budweys, I blame her for being an asshole at her minimum wage job.

Yeah I know it's more on the actual employees than the stores in general but why would I want to support a store that hires employees that treat customers like they're less than human? Businesses can go under if they don't treat their customers well, which leads to them not making money, and that's what they all care about: money.

jjp14

Banned
Denny's. Went there about 9 years ago, and got horrific food poisoning.

New Orleans. Visited about 6 or 7 months before Katrina happened, and really did not enjoy the experience.

Any Gawker site. The layout change a few years ago made browsing near impossible for me.

BlackJace

Pretty sure I narrowly escaped death at least twice during my week in Nigeria.

Even my mom, who's from there, advises everyone to stay the fuck away while the corruption is rampant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom