• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Places You're NEVER Going to Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

painey

+1 for North Dakota.What a fucking dump.

Here's a postcard I bought because it was so hilariously pathetic. Bear in mind this is the CAPITAL CITY of the state
vmutZNW.jpg

18-Volt

Absolutely loved Syria. Or did you mean because of the political situation?

No, we went there as a whole family back in 2001. We were actually going to Tel Aviv to attend to one of my cousin's wedding but my father wanted us to see Aleppo, Palmyra and Damascus ruins which were on the way. The thing is the country, especially Aleppo was not that tourist friendly, there were no restaurants to eat in, no stores to buy snacks from, no hotels that offer dinner. We had to drive all the way to Damascus to find somewhere to eat. Quality of food was nowhere near good as those in Tel Aviv or Beirut.

Also Damascus is a hell of a scary place at night.

paparazzo

Smash Burger. Got food poisoning that made me throw up two dozen times over a few days and I just wanted to curl up and die. My parents got it too. Their food is nothing special so no real loss at all really.

CrankyJay

Banned
Aruba - Not because I had a bad experience there or anything, but the island is so small, and going there twice already I feel I've pretty much experienced all there is to do there.

Mexico - Current drug/political climate has made it a dicey proposition for me.

Jamaica - Have been there a few times on cruises...lately we just stay on the boat now. Just didn't like the touristy atmosphere of Ocho Rios and getting bombarded by peddlers and drug dealers.

Unicorn

Phoenix for me too. Didn't really expect to see it listed here already though.

Went there for business once upon a time (well actually Chandler I think it was but close enough). Just didn't like it and was glad to get the hell out the next day.
Chandler and Phoenix are worlds apart.

Not to sound like a Phoenix apologist, because I do hate the Phoenix-metro area in general, but it has some stuff to offer. Has a pretty good local music scene, big groups head through regularly too. Mexican food is the food from the gods. And Phoenix is located in such a way that better places are in a few hours drive in almost every direction lol.

That said, on a cloudy day it is disgusting to see the pollution that gets locked in. Then when it rains for 5 minutes you realize the sky is only crying.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Fort Wayne Indiana. Only reason I moved there was for a girl, because I was young and dumb. I've lived in 8 different countries, and visited countless more in my lifetime. And fort Wayne is far and away the worst place I have ever been. Just a miserable grey shithole. The people only put down their bibles to vote for whatever canidate is most right leaning or if they need to cheer for their goddamn colts. The handful of rational human beings that live there act like sleeper agents terrified of being found out.
There is nothing to do, nothing to strive for, nothing to be excites about. It's the place you go to give up and live the stereotype. Every second I lived there I could feel myself dying inside. It tainted and tarnished me after just a year to such a degree I an still repairing the damage.
The only positive thing that ever happened while I was entombed there was seeing George Carlin perform and immediately rip into religion at the top of his set, leading to large groups of the audience to walk out in a huff.

If we are talking more specific, there is a restaurant here where the owner called up and threatened to rape and murder one of my female friends over an unpaid bill. I can't go there again because even though I contacted the restaurant and got the matter settled, I fear that if I was in there and saw that piece of shit I wouldnt be able to stop myself from punching his fucking face through his skull.

Also gamestop, because that place gives me the fucking creeps for some reason.

Applebees, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Mexico, that neighborhood in Racine, WI where I went for a SFIII: 3rd Strike tournament that had bullet holes in the arcade walls, Circuit City (lol).

strobogo

Banned
Rome. Not because of the city itself, but all the traveling that comes with it. NYC because I fucking hated everything about it except for delis.

LOCATIONS

- Memphis, TN: Okay, granted, that's where I'm currently living. About to move out of my parent's house now that I graduated. This place is TERRIBLE. Think of just about every single southern stereotype you can think of. And multiply it by 10. You've got people stealing your sh*t, and people TREATING you like sh*t. Racism runs freely, and so does urban decay. Rape. Violence. Murder. Speaking of violent crimes, we currently are in the top ten cities in this category. So basically if you are white or black and you live here, you will grow to be ashamed of your kind. This place SUCKS. I'm not even going to touch the Bible Belt aspect of this, because inversely, I know a lot of the biggest atheist douchebags here that I've ever met in my life. It goes both ways.

- Anywhere in Arkansas: particularly West Memphis. The cops here make Memphis cops look like angels. Seriously, don't go here.

BUSINESSES

- Walmart: This place is a joke. Every single one I've been to is like a dirty, run-down warehouse. But that's not the worst of it. You know that site your dumb friends are always telling you about? PeopleOfWalmart? Well, it's very accurate. Bunch of trashy, mentally-unstable whales that waddle down the isles in an attempt to bowl you over and suck you into their center of gravity.

An anime convention.

One of my good friends invited me and since we hadn't chilled in awhile I decided to take her up on her offer.

Yeah.... Obese people wearing tight-fitting clothing or next to nothing followed by a band of creepy "photographers"

Not to mention that a lot of people there didn't seem to know what either a shower or deodorant is. At the hotel bar it seems like a ton of people there had just had their first beer ever by their annoying behavior.

I spent the whole 3 days with a permanent "wtf" stare.

She invited me to go next year and I damn sure won't be doing that.

That was mostly my experience when I went to one as well, except the obese people and creepy photographers part. Most of the people there were of all different body types, but the smell was bad. You would think that if they were going to an event, they would take a shower or wear some deodorant.

I'd say my only problem with the convention is that some people can be a little weird. I was standing in line for like an hour to get in, and the girl behind me kept talking to herself. That was very uncomfortable. This along with lots of other interactions with people I had made me feel a little awkward.

It wasn't a great experience, but I would go again.

Helmholtz

What was your bad experience there?

Last time I went to Olive Garden (which was a couple of years ago), the food was good, the service was fine, but I couldn't fall asleep that night. Turns out I had food poisoning. I got up to go to the bathroom and when I was done, the toilet bowl was black. Plus I was puking up the food as well. Like to the point where I was dry heaving. I have never dry heaved in my life until that night. You know it's bad when it comes out of both ends. Never going to Olive Garden again.
Wow. First time I went to olive garden, probably like 10 years ago, I also got pretty bad food poisoning. Didn't go back until this year, and it was fine. But I try to avoid that place.

GameStop is a place I don't really intend to go to unless it's a last minute thing.

"would you be interested in our card? Are you sure? It'll get you a percentage off on used games. Are you sure? It's really great, seriously. Are you sure? Look if I don't get you to sign up for this my hours will be cut please buy. Oh god I will suck yo dick plz."

Pushiest sales people I have ever encountered at every.single.one. I know used car salesmen who aren't even that aggressive in trying to get a lemon off the lot.

Ahhh this sounds familiar. ;)

Anastasia

As far as locations go, I can't see myself ever going back to Tennessee or Florida. Especially TN; some pretty scenery but otherwise ... ugh.

Aurongel

Anime conventions and cosplay conventions have creeped me the fuck out every time I've gone. What's worse is that I'm a freelance photographer and I just can't bring myself to comfortably photograph my bonehead friends with horribly dressed cosplayers and their creepy followers. It's just a terrible experience.

Man, you guys must be going to some SHITTY ass walmarts... I don't think I've ever witnessed anything like the peopleofwalmart websites regularly there. Yall need to go to walmarts by college campuses or in decent neighborhoods or something

Parch

Anywhere in the US that is touristy, the service industry people are really nice. If they want your money they'll treat you with respect. But get away from that and I've had a fair amount of annoyances. Probably not fair to stereotype an entire country, but I really have no interest in going back to the US.

dareacher

Banned
south lebanon....scary place to be. Lots of shady people with machine guns made my little canadian ass very unconfortable.....

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
National City which is in San Diego, CA. Holy fucking shit what a dump. I worked at a construction site for like two weeks there and I promised myself I'd put a bullet in my head before I ever go back there.

The people there were horrible assholes.

The local Safeway. No one goes there because everyone prefers Fry's (where I work at) and Wal-Mart. There's no self-checkout, and only 1 register open at any given moment, maybe 2. I've heard complaints of expired items on the shelves too.

Firehead

Alabama.

I was born and raised there for 21 years of my life. Never going back there.

Edit:
To be on topic, K-Mart. All the K-Marts I've been to, they're always incredibly run down.

cajunator

Banned
Man, you guys must be going to some SHITTY ass walmarts... I don't think I've ever witnessed anything like the peopleofwalmart websites regularly there. Yall need to go to walmarts by college campuses or in decent neighborhoods or something

Wal Mart is generally depressing, but at least the one next door to where our office is doesnt have the kinds of people you see in those books.

TDLink

Venice

It's a stinky sewer, barely still above ground. I had the misfortune of going during flood season...so I had to experience water up to my waist. Not fun and I had to throw out some shoes and clothes. Even had it not been a flooded disgusting mess, I don't think I understand the draw. Everything is just super touristy and the restaurants are ridiculously expensive. The food isn't even as good as other places in Italy either.

cajunator

Banned
Venice

It's a stinky sewer, barely still above ground. I had the misfortune of going during flood season...so I had to experience water up to my waist. Not fun and I had to throw out some shoes and clothes. Even had it not been a flooded disgusting mess, I don't think I understand the draw. Everything is just super touristy and the restaurants are ridiculously expensive. The food isn't even as good as other places in Italy either.

tourism is good for the longevity of a place but if its nothing but endless souvenir shops, it gets boring fast. Especially if its the same merchandise in every store.
New Orleans French Quarter is a lot like that. Endless souvenir shops and voodoo stores. the restaurants are fucking amazing though. Judging by descriptions of how Venice smells, it sounds a lot like how New Orleans smells.

TDLink

tourism is good for the longevity of a place but if its nothing but endless souvenir shops, it gets boring fast. Especially if its the same merchandise in every store.
New Orleans French Quarter is a lot like that. Endless souvenir shops and voodoo stores. the restaurants are fucking amazing though. Judging by descriptions of how Venice smells, it sounds a lot like how New Orleans smells.

Yeah in Venice pretty much 70% of the stores are trying to peddle Venetian masquerade masks. I also want to point out the ludicrous system they use to charge you at restaurants. They are expensive no matter what, but they charge you even more depending on where you sit in the establishment. It's just gouging idiots.

Anyone who wants to spend time in Venice is better off just spending more time in Rome. More things to see, better shops, better food, less expensive food, doesn't smell like shit, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom