• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planescape: Torment EE |OT| I have been here before. This time I shall never leave.

ShadowOwl

GuwI2uN.png

"What can change the nature of a man?"

You are the Nameless One, a hulking figure covered in scars and tattoos collected over the course of countless lives—none of which you can remember, but are now coming back to haunt you. You are prodded awake by Morte, a floating skull and keeper of secrets, to embark on an adventure taking the Nameless One from the dirty streets of Sigil into the mysterious Outer Planes and even into the depths of Hell itself.

Discover an incredibly rich story and a unique setting unlike anything else in fantasy. Defeat strange and alien creatures, engage in rich dialogue, and explore the dark and dangerous Planescape setting in this 50+ hour RPG classic.

Millions of Planescape: Torment fans have enjoyed the strange and dangerous city of Sigil and surrounding planes through the Nameless One's eyes. Now it's your turn. This is Planescape: Torment like you've never seen before.

Features:
  • Enhanced Planescape: Chris Avellone, Lead Designer on Planescape Torment, has partnered with Beamdog to curate gameplay updates, bug fixes, and enhancements to best capture his original vision for the game.
  • Remastered Music: The full Planescape: Torment soundtrack has been remastered in-game to add more depth to Sigil and the multiverse.
  • 4K Interface: Sigil has never looked this good! The interface of Planescape: Torment has been rebuilt in high definition with tons of new convenience features.
  • A Planescape For Today: The Enhanced Edition includes modern features such as tab highlighting, area zooming, combat log, quickloot, and more!

Official Website and Official Launch Trailer

Price:
$19.99 on Win/Linux/MacOS, $9.99 on Mobile platforms. Regional pricing may apply.

Where to buy:
Official FAQ (extract, full FAQ here):
How long is Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition?
An average playthrough of Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition is around 50+ hours.

What languages are available in Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition?
Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition is available in English, French, Polish, German, and Korean. The English, French, Polish, and German versions feature the original fully-localized voice-over in each language. The Korean version is Korean text with voice-overs in English.

What was Chris Avellone's role on PST:EE?
Chris Avellone reprises his role as Lead Designer in PST:EE. He reviewed and approved all UI adjustments and did an editorial pass of all the text in the game. In addition, in the few instances where new text was needed (i.e. additional journal entries and special ability descriptions), Chris wrote the text himself.

What content changed between PST and PST:EE?
Planescape: Torment has a unique tone and it would be impossible to add significant content to the game without changing that voice. Besides Chris Avellone's additions and edits to the text, we haven't changed any of the original Planescape: Torment content. Gameplay aside, we've added significant quality of life improvements to the user interface of this classic game. Scroll to the bottom of this FAQ for a larger list of improvements.

Which mods, or parts of mods, for PST are included in PST:EE?
Qwinn's PST Fixpack has undergone a thorough review by the PST:EE development team. With Qwinn's permission, we've integrated most of the content from that mod into PST:EE. Other changes were left out as some of them had been cut from the original game on purpose.

What new features have you added to the interface?
We've focused on adding quality of life features to Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition on both desktop and tablet versions of the game. On desktop, the help screen, quickloot, combat log, and object highlighting features all make for a significantly improved playing experience. On tablets, the conversation buttons and quickbars make PST:EE a joy to play on touchscreens. Scroll to the bottom of this FAQ for a larger list of improvements.

What are those black outlines around the character sprites? Can I turn those off?
This is an optional setting that makes characters stand out slightly from the background. You can turn it off at any time from the Options menu.

Why do the area backgrounds and character sprites look blurred/pixelated?
This depends entirely on the settings that you choose. Area backgrounds and character sprites look best (pixel perfect) at the default zoom level when Gameworld Scaling is turned on. If you zoom in or out they either become blurred or pixelated depending on whether Linear Scaling is turned on or off. You can adjust both settings from the Options menu at any time.

GAF FAQ:
Is the game stable?
Yes - at least for me it works perfectly fine so far on my rusty system on Windows 7. There have been reports of some technical issues though. Please refer to the Steam, Beamdog and GOG forums.

Where can I buy the game's soundtrack?
You get it at GOG.com, Beamdog or Steam for $9.99.

How about modding? Are old mods still working with the Enhanced Edition?
As with the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions pretty much all mods have to be updated for the EE. First mods are already popping up in the Beamdog forums.

OT title as suggested by Durante. My first OT, going to work on it in the days to come.

StereoVsn

This is one of the best games ever made. I snagged it with GoG discount but won't have time to play till after I finish P5. Any idea if mods work with the game beside the fixpack?

epmode

This is my favorite videogame of all time. I love it to death.

I've only put a little time into the remaster but it seems like a good release. I love being able to zoom in at will. Prior to this quality of life stuff, it was tough to play the game on high resolution screens since everything would be too small.

I have never given Planescape: Torment a proper chance so this looks like the perfect moment to dive back in. I finished Tides of Numenera last month and while it was an enjoyable experience, I must say I was left feeling a little disappointed. I hope PS:T can deliver on my expectations.

StereoVsn

I have never given Planescape: Torment a proper chance so this looks like the perfect moment to dive back in. I finished Tides of Numenera last month and while it was an enjoyable experience, I must say I was left feeling a little disappointed. I hope PS:T can deliver on my expectations.
Yeah, Numera is not even close, IMO. One piece of advice, roll a mage.

I haven't played Numenera, but I can assure you that Planescape Torment is a legitimate masterpiece.

Bluth54

Even though I played a lot of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games as a kid I never played much of this so I'm planning on picking this up soon. I need to take a little break first since I just beat Torment ToN a few weeks ago.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I have never given Planescape: Torment a proper chance so this looks like the perfect moment to dive back in.

This for me. I have completed every other Infinity Engine game, sometimes multiple times in my life, but I never stuck with Planescape despite having bought it several times over the years.

Put a few hours into the EE so far and I am making a concerted effort to actually play through it this time. The music is something else and needs to be commended, I even had to pause for a few moments and soak in the solemn track that plays when first encountering Deionarra in the tutorial.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i have never played this so assume now would be a good time to try it. i have tried some crpg's out (baldur's gate, pillars of eternity, divinity original sin) but i hate having to spec for multiple characters and turn based combat i suck at. is this the same? i love the look and feel of the games though and really enjoy the amount of text/dialogue you must read.

Taruranto

How come I never saw this perfect gif before.

i have never played this so assume now would be a good time to try it. i have tried some crpg's out but i hate having to spec for multiple characters and turn based combat i suck at. is this the same?

It's honestly one of the most approachable crpg ever, due to how story-heavy it is. There isn't much character building either.

Durante

Best game of all time.

i have never played this so assume now would be a good time to try it. i have tried some crpg's out (baldur's gate, pillars of eternity, divinity original sin) but i hate having to spec for multiple characters and turn based combat i suck at. is this the same? i love the look and feel of the games though and really enjoy the amount of text/dialogue you must read.
No. Combat is a secondary concern at best in PS:T, and the battle system is real-time with pause.

Eusis

How's this game on an iPhone 6s? Is the screen too small?
Yes. I got it for my iPad Mini 2 but tried it on the iPhone anyway, and maybe if you have a fine tip stylus it'd work out, but I wouldn't bother without at least an iPad Mini to play it on.

Anyways I'd started this game over countless times but never really got far except one time where
I found Pharod and got him killed by the shadows.
Hopefully this time I seriously do it, but failing that there'll be a PC sale inevitably.

EDIT: Also the early game bits are starting to feel like a metaphor for my countless attempts at the game.

Purkake4

Banned
As stated before make sure to become a mage as well. Go to talk to Mebbeth in the Northwest part of Sigil to become one, preferably before you gain a bunch of levels.
Unlocking all the classes is a good idea, but there's no specific reason to be a mage, other than checking out the sick spell animations. The easiest is to get an ok-ish weapon and just be a fighter.

d00d3n

Any place in the Hive that is suitable to use as a home base? I am really liking the game, but it is only me and Morte and inventory space seems to be running out fast ...

Unlocking all the classes is a good idea, but there's no specific reason to be a mage, other than checking out the sick spell animations. The easiest is to get an ok-ish weapon and just be a fighter.
You can't learn the Circle of Zerthimon with Dak'kon if you're not a mage and its one of the best parts of the whole game.

Also the fact that mage benefits the most from the high INT and WIS you need to enjoy the most out of the story.

Any place in the Hive that is suitable to use as a home base? I am really liking the game, but it is only me and Morte and inventory space seems to be running out fast ...
Go to the Smoldering Corpse Bar, the third party member is there.

Eusis

You can probably sell most of that crap, I forgot where all the (usable) merchants are but in the ragpicker's square there's an old woman in a hut who you can sell those rings and earrings to
and learn to be a mage from
and there's at least one additional party member in
the Smoldering Corpse bar. Just don't go for the most obvious guy there yet for immediate man power.

d00d3n

Go to the Smoldering Corpse Bar, the third party member is there.

You can probably sell most of that crap, I forgot where all the (usable) merchants are but in the ragpicker's square there's an old woman in a hut who you can sell those rings and earrings to
and learn to be a large from
and there's at least one additional party member in
the Smoldering Corpse bar. Just don't go for the most obvious guy there yet for immediate man power.

Thanks

Purkake4

Banned
You can't learn the Circle of Zerthimon with Dak'kon if you're not a mage and its one of the best parts of the whole game.
Sure, but you just need INT 18 and WIS 19 for that, just switch back after you're done.

Also the fact that mage benefits the most from the high INT and WIS you need to enjoy the most out of the story.
The benefits are minimal and I'm pretty sure there are no mage benefits from WIS. There are no gameplay benefits from being a mage, other than more frustrating combat.

O.DOGG

The greatest game of all time. I bought the EE twice - PC and iOS. From what little I've played of them, both versions are working perfectly fine and the new QOL changes are more than welcome. Beamdog did a good job here.

Gilzor

I've played around two hours on iPad and I absolutely LOVE this. It's so well written and I just adore the world and vibe it has going.

By the way, I think this is totally playable on iPad. Had trouble selecting enemies in combat initially but it's all gravy now. Does anyone know if the EE's of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are worth checking out for iPad?

Anno

I've played around two hours on iPad and I absolutely LOVE this. It's so well written and I just adore the world and vibe it has going.

By the way, I think this is totally playable on iPad. Had trouble selecting enemies in combat initially but it's all gravy now. Does anyone know if the EE's of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale are worth checking out for iPad?

I've heard basically nothing but positives about the mobile ports for all the BeamDog EE games. A lot more clickin' on enemy guys in the other games but it looks like you have that part down!

I love being able to zoom in at will. Prior to this quality of life stuff, it was tough to play the game on high resolution screens since everything would be too small.
This is easily one of the main reasons I'm interested in this. Mods were close, but still nothing is nicer than native support. I think Christmas has been decided for my household...

Only played BG1 and part of ID, but yeah. If you are fine with the interface (I have issues but the portability <3 makes up for it) then they both work pretty well.

Anything important to know before diving in, or best to just play through blind? I likely won't be doing multiple play throughs due to time constraints and backlog, so I want this play through to be as enjoyable as possible.

xealo

How is this EE release in regards to bugs etc? Previous enhanced editions from beamdog haven't been the most technically well functioning releases until it received a fair bit of patching.

Gilzor

I've heard basically nothing but positives about the mobile ports for all the BeamDog EE games. A lot more clickin' on enemy guys in the other games but it looks like you have that part down!

Only played BG1 and part of ID, but yeah. If you are fine with the interface (I have issues but the portability <3 makes up for it) then they both work pretty well.

Lovely, thanks guys! Just grabbed BG and IW too!

Wait wait wait when did this even get announced? I've always wanted to try it and an EE sounds like a perfect chance to jump in. If only I wasn't knee deep in P5 at the moment.

Putting this on a list and grabbing it the first chance I get.

Top Bottom