• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planescape: Torment EE |OT| I have been here before. This time I shall never leave.

If this is about the particle "sparkles" they've always been there. Just 1999 quality effects.

But in this video, those sparkles are not showing. He is also playing the Enhanced Edition. About 40 secs in the video is when he is at a portal. This video shows the beginning of the game in the Mortuary, in case someone worries about spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhXAxj_-YyI&t=75s

And here is a gif of how it looks like in my game

giphy.gif

Purkake4

Banned
But in this video, those sparkles are not showing. He is also playing the Enhanced Edition. About 40 secs in the video is when he is at a portal. This video shows the beginning of the game in the Mortuary, in case someone worries about spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhXAxj_-YyI&t=75s

And here is a gif of how it looks like in my game

https://media.giphy.com/media/xfLcnuOEQ5Mnm/giphy.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Might depend on settings or something, but I'm 100% at least that portal in the Mortuary came with crappy sparkle effects.

Replaying the original now and it's still mindblowing just how strong the writing is and i forgot just how brutal it could get at times,i almost cried at Deionarra's Longing.Both you as the player and that
particular version
of Nameless One know so little about Deionarra at this point yet her suffering is so clear that neither one of you could do anything but scream at her TORMENT.No tricks,no voice acting,no overly dramatic background music(rather a horribly misplaced upbeat melody) just texts that make your soul suffer,chilling stuff really.

Purkake4

Banned
Replaying the original now and it's still mindblowing just how strong the writing is and i forgot just how brutal it could get at times,i almost cried at Deionarra's Longing.Both you as the player and that
particular version
of Nameless One know so little about Deionarra at this point yet her suffering is so clear that neither one of you could do anything but scream at her TORMENT.No tricks,no voice acting,no overly dramatic background music(rather a horribly misplaced upbeat melody) just texts that make your soul suffer,chilling stuff really.
Were there portal sparkles though?

particular version

It wasn't until I read this paragraph that I came to realize that all of the characters suffer from torment in some way.

Morte it's obvious.

Fall From Grace is a succubus
Maiden, and people roll their eyes at the concept.

Annah is a tiefling orphan
,Who is also a maiden because people are terrified of her demonic ancestry

Da'kkon... well, that one is obvious.

Ignis... also obvious.

I can't comment on the angel, the computer thing, or the armored thing, but I'm sure they have drama too.

I've never played this game before.

How is it on Android? Does it play well? Is it more difficult than with a keyboard and mouse? How would that be for a first playthrough?

While we're at it, how are the other Beamdog games on Android?

NewGame

Banned
Also last anyone checked WotC hated all their old campaign settings and wanted everyone to forget they existed.

Yes and this is a good thing, their stuff was a massive accretion of random stuff; no one plays d&d with a 1:1 setting- everyone changes or homebrews their own stuff.

They needed to weed out the "one true way"ism that they had unwittingly brewed which made their game impossible to approach for new comers. Yes it's nice to have all this hardboiled turbo nerd stuff but don't force creators to carry the weight of their creation forever.

Purkake4

Banned
Yes and this is a good thing, their stuff was a massive accretion of random stuff; no one plays d&d with a 1:1 setting- everyone changes or homebrews their own stuff.

They needed to weed out the "one true way"ism that they had unwittingly brewed which made their game impossible to approach for new comers. Yes it's nice to have all this hardboiled turbo nerd stuff but don't force creators to carry the weight of their creation forever.
They're welcome to do whatever they want going forward. It's just stupid to kill legacy stuff instead of licensing it out like Games Workshop has now done. No one is going to be any more confused because of a few interesting games using amazing existing material.

NewGame

Banned
If your juicy chess club brain can absorb all the legacy I expect it to also be able to convert a few little numbers to suit the system.

My D&D 5e games exist in Pathfinders Golarion and Numenera's Ninth World and occasionally some random place from Call Of Cthulhu.

Faerune can have a third sundering a la Neon Gensis' Third Impact for all I care; I'm sick and tired of Forgotten Realms. New blood for the new Blood Gods!!

Purkake4

Banned
If your juicy chess club brain can absorb all the legacy I expect it to also be able to convert a few little numbers to suit the system.

My D&D 5e games exist in Pathfinders Golarion and Numenera's Ninth World and occasionally some random place from Call Of Cthulhu.

Faerune can have a third sundering a la Neon Gensis' Third Impact for all I care; I'm sick and tired of Forgotten Realms. New blood for the new Blood Gods!!
I mean license them out for video games.

Finally finished the game for the first time. I've seen 2 endings.
Both are sad
. Anyway, great game. Definitely one of the best.

Purkake4

Banned
Finally finished the game for the first time. I've seen 2 endings.
Both are sad
. Anyway, great game. Definitely one of the best.
Torment has been very cleverly framed so that
you choose who you are and how you get to the end, while the ultimate endpoint is the same. It's about accepting your (cosmic) fate and thus fixing what your first incarnation broke.

Torment has been very cleverly framed so that
you choose who you are and how you get to the end, while the ultimate endpoint is the same. It's about accepting your (cosmic) fate and thus fixing what your first incarnation broke.

*what your previous incarnationS broke

That meeting between them all was the best part of the game.

Top Bottom