• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planescape: Torment EE |OT| I have been here before. This time I shall never leave.

d00d3n

AFAIK alignment makes zero different in PS:T.

I don't think this is entirely true. Some STR and CON stat boosts require lawfulness, if I am not mistaken. So, alignment makes zero difference if you want to be a mage, but it is good to be lawful if you are a fighter?

Purkake4

Banned
I don't think this is entirely true. Some STR and CON stat boosts require lawfulness, if I am not mistaken. So, alignment makes zero difference if you want to be a mage, but it is good to be lawful if you are a fighter?
Hmm, no story effects then. I never even looked at my alignment I think.

Then again I did always consider DnD alignments to be a stupid anachronism.

Where do I get a new party member?
I played the game before and got as far as a tomb of sorts under some catacombs where -I think- Pharod sends you, but I only had Morte with me and the combat became a drag. I think you can recruit Annah, but I don't know how. Someone else said that a new party member was at a sort of bar...

Also I should really get around to doing Mebbeth's fetch quest lol

Mifune

Mehmber
This is my first Infinity Engine game. So far I'm enjoying it - got my third party member - but it's all a bit overwhelming. I am swimming in quests and text and NPCs. The writing is superb, better than many fantasy novels, actually, but holy hell is there a lot of it. I'm not used to reading so much text on my monitor. Now I'm starting to see where this Cult of Avellone originated, though.

Runs great on Mac. BTW thank you Steam for supporting Mac because now every mid-budget PC release has a Mac version - it's amazing how iOS gaming turned around seemingly overnight (even though it was actually over the course of many years).

Altazor

Where do I get a new party member?
I played the game before and got as far as a tomb of sorts under some catacombs where -I think- Pharod sends you, but I only had Morte with me and the combat became a drag. I think you can recruit Annah, but I don't know how. Someone else said that a new party member was at a sort of bar...

Also I should really get around to doing Mebbeth's fetch quest lol

There's actually two at the
Smoldering Corpse Bar, one you can recruit early (Dak'kon) if you've got high enough INT and other you can recruit some time later after you get an certain item that douses flames.

The conversation to recruit Dak'kon is one of the best moments I've had in the game so far. Truly great writing in an RPG.

And you can recruit
Annah after you get to Pharod and complete a quest for him

There's actually two at the
Smoldering Corpse Bar, one you can recruit early (Dak'kon) if you've got high enough INT and other you can recruit some time later after you get an certain item that douses flames.

The conversation to recruit Dak'kon is one of the best moments I've had in the game so far. Truly great writing in an RPG.

And you can recruit
Annah after you get to Pharod and complete a quest for him
Thanks a lot!
just recruited Dak'kon.
Goddamn, that was a legitimately amazing conversation.

Eusis

Had my alignment shift back from lawful good to neutral good in
Curst Prison without many more dialogue options, so presumably due to killing the guards... that are ALWAYS aggro and in absurd numbers.
I'm guessing alignment changes from fighting enemies is a new (or fixed?) thing for the EE because this isn't something I'm seeing warned against at all online, and frankly it's kind of crap for enemies that are immediately aggro anyway.

And I would like to try to get those bonuses, especially as the interface and some spell-related bugs make me much prefer to just go fighter on iPad over trying to play mage.

Mifune

Mehmber
The character sheet. You know, the page that shows your total experience points. I'm not in front of my computer so I can't tell you exactly how to bring it up.

Like I said, dumb question. That's where I would have expected to find it but didn't see last time I played. Thanks.

Eusis

I think you have to mouseover an icon on the character sheet. It's not immediately obvious.
There should be one with a blue line symbol of a triangle, rectangle with a line through it, and, uhh, dunno for good/neutral/evil, and an outer border of a square, circle, or a gear-like thing for lawful, neutral, and chaotic.

And yeah, it's kind of frustrating to have some of this crap tied to alignments, AND to let generic mobs fuck it up rather than dialogue or explicit actions that in and of themselves are of one alignment or the other, I.E. stealing.

Mifune

Mehmber
I've played about 9 hours and I'm still just wandering around talking to random people and doing side quests.

One thing I love about the design is you have to do a little bit of detective work to figure out where the main quests are. And that detective work involves talking to everyone and doing favors for them. So the game not only encourages you to do side stuff, in its own subtle way it requires you to - but with such a light touch that you don't feel like it's obligatory (and of course it's not TRULY necessary if you know exactly where to go).

And if you're a veteran of these Infinity Engine games, you're probably like, "No shit, noob," but to this noob the lack of waypoints and glowy markers is interesting because I always thought that folks bemoaned their non-inclusion because they were hardcore gamers who didn't need to be led around by the hand, and while, yes, that's part of it - for me the biggest benefit of this more classic design is that I am far more immersed in the world. I really pay attention to what people say and where they tell me to go, and maybe I wouldn't to the same degree if, oh hey, let's just follow the waypoint.

It's a wonderful experience and I definitely see myself exploring the genre further - heck, I just picked up Pillars of Eternity for dirt-cheap on GOG. But I've really got my sights set on the Baldur's Gates.

Eusis

Finally beat it last night. Should've done it years ago as I think the first half had been sitting in my head way too long combined with the hype, but itt IS a very good adventure and I'll probably appreciate it more as I chew on it.

Also
as part of a game Curst was shit.

Pakkidis

Finally beat it last night. Should've done it years ago as I think the first half had been sitting in my head way too long combined with the hype, but itt IS a very good adventure and I'll probably appreciate it more as I chew on it.

Also

After you beat the game, read about some of the things you missed and be prepared to have your mind blown :)

Eusis

After you beat the game, read about some of the things you missed and be prepared to have your mind blown :)
I probably already became aware of too much, but I did mostly blow off factions so that's something to go for (though what was MEANT to be a proper LG run ended up messed up by trash mobs, especially in Curst.)

And I have to admit one of the things that I ultimately tampered expectations for could've been a huge disappointment if I got through it when it originally came out: the fact planar jumping wasn't that big a part of the game, as in a cross-planar adventure rather than mainly being in Sigil with some detours. This came out in a period where I was following magazines more, and the likes of PC Accelerator gushed about it, and the strange Party bar portraits always stuck with me (namely the Nameless One and Morte) and I knew enough that it was supposed to be across multiple planes, so seeing little of that without more warning could'be been a big letdown.

Purkake4

Banned

Also
Yup, they obviously rushed it. Still, the dialogues with
Trias and the Pillar of Skulls
were pretty great, the former especially when you're going for LG.

How do spells work in this game? I just recruited one of the early companions and tried out his spells on thugs. But after that, I'm not able to use those spells.

Baalzebup

How do spells work in this game? I just recruited one of the early companions and tried out his spells on thugs. But after that, I'm not able to use those spells.
The basic concept of the Vancian style magic that most editions of D&D uses has you 1st choosing the spells you want to prepare for the following day and then resting to actually gain access to them. Every spell your characters 'memorize' is available once per day/rest, though you can learn multiple uses of the same spell, using the memory slots you have for that spell level.

You gain access to higher spell levels and gain more spell slots via leveling up. You can also get more spell slots via some special tattoos and, I think, raising your primary caster stat (Intelligence for mages).

I've played about 9 hours and I'm still just wandering around talking to random people and doing side quests.

One thing I love about the design is you have to do a little bit of detective work to figure out where the main quests are. And that detective work involves talking to everyone and doing favors for them. So the game not only encourages you to do side stuff, in its own subtle way it requires you to - but with such a light touch that you don't feel like it's obligatory (and of course it's not TRULY necessary if you know exactly where to go).

And if you're a veteran of these Infinity Engine games, you're probably like, "No shit, noob," but to this noob the lack of waypoints and glowy markers is interesting because I always thought that folks bemoaned their non-inclusion because they were hardcore gamers who didn't need to be led around by the hand, and while, yes, that's part of it - for me the biggest benefit of this more classic design is that I am far more immersed in the world. I really pay attention to what people say and where they tell me to go, and maybe I wouldn't to the same degree if, oh hey, let's just follow the waypoint.

It's a wonderful experience and I definitely see myself exploring the genre further - heck, I just picked up Pillars of Eternity for dirt-cheap on GOG. But I've really got my sights set on the Baldur's Gates.

Everything you said, I feel the opposite. I did the 10-hour IHaveNoIdeaEhatIAmDoing and got bored. I now understand why modern RPGs be like GO HERE!

By the time I had gained momentum and figured out where everything was, I wanted the game to be over. Dead Nations was cool, as was the Brothel for Slaking Intellectual Lusts, and Civic Festhall, but by the time I had arrived, I had already checked out.

and that's before actually doing Planescaping and meeting Ravel, let alone the big end-game reveals

This is a game that would have been an excellent novel. But as a game, it is poor.

Has anyone tried playing it on a phone? I have gotten an S8 and the screen does seem big enough to make it playable, but I'm not convinced.

Mifune

Mehmber
Everything you said, I feel the opposite. I did the 10-hour IHaveNoIdeaEhatIAmDoing and got bored. I now understand why modern RPGs be like GO HERE!

By the time I had gained momentum and figured out where everything was, I wanted the game to be over. Dead Nations was cool, as was the Brothel for Slaking Intellectual Lusts, and Civic Festhall, but by the time I had arrived, I had already checked out.

and that's before actually doing Planescaping and meeting Ravel, let alone the big end-game reveals

This is a game that would have been an excellent novel. But as a game, it is poor.

Well, it's definitely a little slower than I was expecting. So I can see why you lost interest. I definitely have to be in the mood for some heavy screen reading whenever I play. Can't play this game tired, that's for sure.

I'm enjoying the combat. It really could use some tuning up but, it's not complete ass.

I have a question. Why can't I learn 3rd level spells? I'm a level 4 mage and want to learn Elysium Tears but, it won't let me equip it. I've even emptied my spellbar and it still won't work. Thats 600 copper I wasted.

Purkake4

Banned
I'm enjoying the combat. It really could use some tuning up but, it's not complete ass.

I have a question. Why can't I learn 3rd level spells? I'm a level 4 mage and want to learn Elysium Tears but, it won't let me equip it. I've even emptied my spellbar and it still won't work. Thats 600 copper I wasted.
You should get your first lvl 3 spell slot at lvl 5 wizard.

Purkake4

Banned
Someone made a mod that lets Nameless One be a Priest like Fall From Grace. Always seemed strange that Priest wasn't available in the original game.

Pretty neat!
I thought it was because the Powers knew your story and wanted nothing to do with you.

According to TV tropes the official strategy guide said that
the reason why the Nameless One can't become a priest (he can become every other class) is because every god had forsaken him long ago.

Well, it's definitely a little slower than I was expecting. So I can see why you lost interest. I definitely have to be in the mood for some heavy screen reading whenever I play. Can't play this game tired, that's for sure.

I made this mistake a few times. zzz

Might as well try the unofficial novelization, it's pretty good. Just avoid the official one, it's trash.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Baalzebup

Purkake4 already gave the basic answer, but for future reference, you will always get access to higher spell levels on odd number levels. Lv 2 spells at level 3, level 3 spells at level 5, level 4 spells at level 7, level 5 spells at level 9 etc.

How do I
remove the aggression of the guards waiting on the Weeping Stone gate in the buried village? I always have to kill them and it shifted my alignment to Chaotic Neutral just now, even though I'd rather be Neutral/Lawful. They keep respawning to boot....
All I did was use a Knock spell on the door.

Edit, also,
anything I should buy/sort out in the Buried Village before progressing inside the Weeping Stone? Also, while I did get Dak'kon and became a mage, I still get killed very often. Is that normal?
:s

Best part is when people give you actual directions and landmarks, and you can actually follow those directions to reach destinations, rather than a market popping up or something like thay

Mifune

Mehmber
Best part is when people give you actual directions and landmarks, and you can actually follow those directions to reach destinations, rather than a market popping up or something like thay

Indeed. Sometimes it's nice to figure stuff out for yourself instead of being shown where to go (not that there's anything inherently wrong with that either).

Anyway, I feel this game got really good once I got to the Dead Nations. Now I'm at the Lower Wards and things are moving at a much quicker pace. I'm even enjoying the - gasp - combat!

Taruranto

uLM7TVP.png

How do I
remove the aggression of the guards waiting on the Weeping Stone gate in the buried village? I always have to kill them and it shifted my alignment to Chaotic Neutral just now, even though I'd rather be Neutral/Lawful. They keep respawning to boot....
All I did was use a Knock spell on the door.

Edit, also,
anything I should buy/sort out in the Buried Village before progressing inside the Weeping Stone? Also, while I did get Dak'kon and became a mage, I still get killed very often. Is that normal?
:s

Just talk to them, and they'll open the door for you. Works from both sides. I don't think you can remove the agro once they attacked you, however.

Probably not, given how easy Planescape is. :p Morte and Dakkon can easily dispatch most enemies in the beginning. Remember Dakkon can buff himself with spells (Blurr and Shield are very good), also you can "cheat" and pause and heal from the menu using charms. Change the formation so him and Morte are the ones in the front lines. Always micromanage, the AI sux.

Maybe get some tattoos that boost AC and CON for Dakkon. Morte does fine with Ingress' Teeth. Use his special ability when you can.
Also talk to the teeth to enhance them once in a while.

Don't feel bad if you die tho', it's not a big deal in Planescape.

uLM7TVP.png

Just talk to them, and they'll open the door for you. Works from both sides. I don't think you can remove the agro once they attacked you, however.

Probably not, given how easy Planescape is. :p Morte and Dakkon can easily dispatch most enemies in the beginning. Remember Dakkon can buff himself with spells (Blurr and Shield are very good), also you can "cheat" and pause and heal from the menu using charms. Change the formation so him and Morte are the ones in the front lines. Always micromanage, the AI sux.

Maybe get some tattoos that boost AC and CON for Dakkon. Morte does fine with Ingress' Teeth. Use his special ability when you can.
Also talk to the teeth to enhance them once in a while.

Don't feel bad if you die tho', it's not a big deal in Planescape.

Wait what

You can talk to the teeth? I'm impressed enough with myself to have gotten Ingress' teeth somehow.

2. Dakkon can get tattoos?

3. The AI's shit? Looked good to me.

How can Dakkon can cast spells on himself? Are they the options I get with the differently colored disc icons when I select Cast Spells with Dak'kon selected (in hindsight it's obvious lol...)

Purkake4

Banned
Most party members can get non-TNO specific tattoos.

Also go check out the tats every now and then, they update the selection quite often based on your choices.

Taruranto

Wait what

You can talk to the teeth? I'm impressed enough with myself to have gotten Ingress' teeth somehow.

2. Dakkon can get tattoos?

3. The AI's shit? Looked good to me.

How can Dakkon can cast spells on himself? Are they the options I get with the differently colored disc icons when I select Cast Spells with Dak'kon selected (in hindsight it's obvious lol...)

1. Right click on them in the menu and select use. Though I'm not sure if you can get the magical upgrade at that level, but it's worth keeping in mind.

2. Almost every character can, except people like Morte. You can also equip rings too. You probably want the AC tattoo and the tacho one. Also IIRC the CON+2 tattoo is very good because it gives him significant regeneration.

3. They won't attack and often get stuck. They won't also buff, etc. You need to micro manage.

4. Click on Dakkon-->"Select spell" in the bottom bar-->Scripture of Steel-->The mouse indicator will change-->Click on Dakkon again. Scripture of Steel + Shield + Blur gives him AC -6 and some defensive bonuses, which turns him into a pretty good tank.

The colored disks are just the spells' icons.

1. Right click on them in the menu and select use. Though I'm not sure if you can get the magical upgrade at that level, but it's worth keeping in mind.

2. Almost every character can, except people like Morte. You can also equip rings too. You probably want the AC tattoo and the tacho one. Also IIRC the CON+2 tattoo is very good because it gives him significant regeneration.

3. They won't attack and often get stuck. They won't also buff, etc. You need to micro manage.

4. Click on Dakkon-->"Select spell" in the bottom bar-->Scripture of Steel-->The mouse indicator will change-->Click on Dakkon again. Scripture of Steel + Shield + Blur gives him AC -6 and some defensive bonuses, which turns him into a pretty good tank.

The colored disks are just the spells' icons.

Thanks a whole ton!

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm kinda obsessed with this game.

Finally got to talk to
Ravel. And then promptly killed her.
What a fantastic conversation that was. Revelations piled upon revelations. Then I made my way to Curst.

The fact that the storytelling is so heavily text based means that playing it feels like, at any given moment, anything can happen. The level of depth to the game is mind-boggling. At times questing feels like it belongs in a point-and-click adventure, as I'm searching for the right item to give to the right person at the right time. And the storytelling is so intertwined with the gameplay that it feels like the game just has limitless capacity to surprise. So much so that I wonder if there are secrets that haven't been discovered yet umpteen years later.

I never really considered how voice acting and cutscenes in video games could actually restrict a game until playing Planescape: Torment. There is just so much flexibility allowed when everything doesn't have to be recorded and rendered.

Anyway I'm gushing so I'll stop.

ShadowOwl

If anyone has missed it here is the changelog of the patch 3.13 released on 1st June:
Features Added
64 bit Linux support
[Tablet-only] Additional font scaling range for graphics options

Bug Fixes

General
Cranium Rats spawn in fight with Many-as-One
Missing gate guard added back to the Foundry
Drusilla now realizes Ignus has been freed
Vrischika will now purchase the Portal Lens
Mantuok does not appear again after he is dead
Bonus Hit Points from CON continue to be granted after level 10
The Rearrange Party feature now works as it did in the original game
The "Linear scaling" box now controls linear scaling consistently whether using DirectX or OpenGL
"Eye" items with alignment restrictions no longer grant the player passive benefits when they shouldn't
Exceptional strength 18/01 no longer shows as 18/1
Ravel's cutscene with TTO no longer stops before the end
Changing character class in an area now does not cause portal triggers to cancel out
The game does not end if TNO is killed in the Smoldering Corpse bar
Zoom Lock should no longer distort cinematic spells
The "Lost Item" feedback message now appears when TNO loses an item
Cutscenes return camera to the level of zoom they started in
Turning off "Critical Hit Screen Shake" in the baldur.lua file disables screen shake during critical hits
Right clicking joinable NPCs no longer produces selection sounds
Voice actor names have been corrected in the credits
Added default names to save games
The party can now get to the Pillar of Skulls when using single file formation
Dialogue about breaking out of prison does not happen if party isn't imprisoned
The GUI returns after Ravels death
Fixed Pestle Kiln's missing textures
PST:EE supports loading M_*.lua files
Smooth Area Transitions should no longer reduces voice volume when arriving in a new area
Fixed the Lock View on Character tooltip so it does not overlap the button/arrow

Gameplay
Casting Chromatic Orb at night no longer leaves the screen green
Ice Knife's THAC0 penalty is now temporary
The level of zoom in the Shattered Crypt does not affect Lesser Vargouilles' spawning
Infernal Shield cannot be dispelled by quickload anymore
The Fog of War now reappears after Abyssal Fury is cast and the victim fails their saving throw
Stygian Ice Storm visuals have been fixed
Tricha in the Curst pit fight now runs
Silhouettes no longer appear during cutscene spells
Guardian Mantle does not last forever anymore
Morte's Litany of Curses now gets harder to resist as he learns new taunts
Using Guard should set the party to guard an area does not toggle the draw selection button anymore

Steam
Expanded the description for the Enable Cloud Saves option
The "Closing the Circle" achievement description in Korean typo has been fixed
The "N'joi Ts'Cai'Sotex" achievement now always fires when joining Chaosmen

Android-only
The "How to play" page 4 arrow indicators have been swapped and now point to the correct button
Casting Abyssal Fury no longer freezes the game
Fixed a bug causing a crash on start on the Motorola Xoom MZ604

Localization
[French] Dialog with Fhjull is now fully translated
[French, German] Aegis of Torment description has been fully translated
[French] 'défilement' no longer contains a hyphen
[French] Quell is now translated consistently
[German, French] Fixed dialog errors in Lower Ward quests
[German] Typo fixes
[Korean] Translations suggestions and typo fixes added
[Non-English] Saving using the default name now works

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/06/pstee-patch-313-and-whats-next-for.html
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65049/pst-ee-patch-3-1-3-and-whats-next-for-beamdog

Am I the only one experiencing weird graphical glitches when portals open? The screenshot does not represent them well. They kinda look like fireworks when in motion.

R07mskH.jpg

Mivey

Am I the only one experiencing weird graphical glitches when portals open? The screenshot does not represent them well. They kinda look like fireworks when in motion.
Maybe they added that deliberately in the EE, to showcase how time and space begins to unravel near a multi-dimensional portal.

Top Bottom