• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet X to collide with Earth on September 23.

Funny how every few years it's a new end of the world scenario. I mean, if it is the actual end, so be it. But nah, I ain't buying it.

daveo42

Banned
I look forward to waking up on the 24th, realizing that the afterlife is just like this one and then be sad because the afterlife is just like this one.

Didn't some other crazy crackpot say the world would end on this exact same date 2 years ago? Funnier is it's the same day as my sibling's Birthday and doomsday scenarios really freak them out. Won't be sharing this with them lol.

Well one of them has to be right eventually right! I mean the end of the world is gonna happen within my lifetime because im that important.

If I finish my thesis only for the world to end, I will be pissed.

But no, fucking seriously, we'd know if there was an object capable of this,

A) space is fucking empty, that we couldn't see it is impossible

B) even if somehow by magic we couldn't see it, we'd still know it was there because of the orbits of everything else we can observe in the solar system. And they haven't changed.

monster-zero.jpg

First thing that came to mind.

inner-G

Banned
"There is no factual basis for these claims," the agency wrote. "If Nibiru or Planet X were real and headed for an encounter with the Earth in 2012, astronomers would have been tracking it for at least the past decade, and it would be visible by now to the naked eye. Obviously, it does not exist."
That's what they WANT you to think

I've survived everything else so far. Y2K, various "mathematically proven" scenarios, 2012 Mayan Calendar, ect.

Bring it on.

What you should really be worried about is the Year 2038 problem.

NewDust

Our flat earth will just fold against it like a crêpe around a bowlingball. Flatearthers happy because they can say the earth was flat, globists happy because the earth is finally a globe.

Westraid

tumblr_mfrs89jwp71s1k34xsw.gif

I wouldn't have to worry about paying off my student loans, but I'd be really bummed about not getting to see Justice League, Aquaman and Thor. Also GoT finale.
Would be really appreciated if impending doom could be delayed for a couple of months.

My uncle works at a mental hospital, and he told me that these conspiracies are a nightmare for people with mental illness.
Lots of people meme'd and joked about things like Y2K and 2012 end-of-days, but to a lot of sick people, they absorb it and live the horrors of it.
People with paranoia and anxiety with mental illness can really, really be hurt by it.

We're talking about people who have hallucinations, hear voices, see things, and who in general feel disconnected from reality and themselves. Self harm and self mutilation are things that a lot of these people resort to.

After talking about it with my uncle, I stopped making jokes and sharing it on social media. I actually had never thought about it that something as dumb and trivial as these loony conspiracies indirectly hurts other people.

End of the world prophecies seem to be built into the human psyche. In virtually all parts of the world throughout history, there has been this fascination with the end of days.
The Abraham religions telling of the end of humanity are different from the ones in the nature religions, folklore and mythology.
In those, like Hindu and Norse mythology, there is a cycle and a eventual rebirth. Things will end in fire, but the process will start again.

As simple as people lived back then, they probably made these belief systems having looked at the rebirth of life in nature. Which what makes them so compelling. There is something very relateable about it.
Everything observable in the universe expires in one form or another.
That existential angst and impeding doom preys on all of us, as people try to justify meaning in being alive in an experience which will end very shortly.

Good, let it hit us, I hope he's right. Our civilization has peaked anyway, as there is no going back after Trump's effect on the world. It's broken. Checks and balances aren't working and won't work again. Good riddens, we had a good run I guess.

I'm kidding....

mostly....

Zukkoyaki

My uncle works at a mental hospital, and he told me that these conspiracies are a nightmare for people with mental illness.
Lots of people meme'd and joked about things like Y2K and 2012 end-of-days, but to a lot of sick people, they absorb it and live the horrors of it.
People with paranoia and anxiety with mental illness can really, really be hurt by it.

We're talking about people who have hallucinations, hear voices, see things, and who in general feel disconnected from reality and themselves. Self harm and self mutilation are things that a lot of these people resort to.

After talking about it with my uncle, I stopped making jokes and sharing it on social media. I actually had never thought about it that something as dumb and trivial as these loony conspiracies indirectly hurts other people.

End of the world prophecies seem to be built into the human psyche. In virtually all parts of the world throughout history, there has been this fascination with the end of days.
The Abraham religions telling of the end of humanity are different from the ones in the nature religions, folklore and mythology.
In those, like Hindu and Norse mythology, there is a cycle and a eventual rebirth. Things will end in fire, but the process will start again.

As simple as people lived back then, they probably made these belief systems having looked at the rebirth of life in nature. Which what makes them so compelling. There is something very relateable about it.
Everything observable in the universe expires in one form or another.
That existential angst and impeding doom preys on all of us, as people try to justify meaning in being alive in an experience which will end very shortly.

This is all very true. As silly as it may seem to anyone without anxiety issues, shit articles and jokes like this really, REALLY freak some people out and can affect their day-to-day lives. Odds are at least one person skimmed this thread and/or article and got seriously spooked by it which isn't okay.

Top Bottom