• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

These Coloradans say Earth is flat. And gravity’s a hoax. Now, they’re being persecut

Skittles

I love how that gif is supposed to represent a flat Earth, but the way the light from the sun falls still shows that the Earth is round.

IIRC Flat Earthers hand-wave any light or horizon contradictions as optical illusions. Night-time only happens because the atmosphere bends the light at a downward angle or some non-sense like that.
So how do they explain the night time of that spot in greenland which should be in perpetual daylight?

Rmagnus

Banned
So how do they explain the night time of that spot in greenland which should be in perpetual daylight?

They will check and get back to you.

Seriously with the amount of information at our disposal why are people getting more and bat shit insane.

Hermii

How do round earthers explain straight desert roads? You can drive for hours and there is no ups, no downs, no curviture, just straight, flat road.

You can't. Check mate

*runs from thread.

Kas

They will check and get back to you.

Seriously with the amount of information at our disposal why are people getting more and bat shit insane.
I'm pretty sure that's the reason. With so much knowledge, some people feel so paralyzed that they retreat back into something that's so easy to understand, that everyone else must be wrong.

Peccavi

I find it far more likely that I'm living in a Truman Show situation than that the Earth is flat.

In which case I'm sorry.

Flat earthers are a good example of what anti-intellectualism actually can do.

It works no differently than climate change denial or the anti-vaxxers movement.
These people hold a believe thats the polar opposite of what science says, but thats exactly the reason why they believe it.
These people ate up so much anti-establishment propaganda that they believe everything is a conspiracy and everything coming from scientists, the government or other established institutions is likely part of some kind of great deception for them.

Not "falling for this deception" makes them feel special.
You can't argue with these people because they have decided for themselves that all reliable sources of information(science) are false and they only accept sources which reaffirm their believes (Youtube videos, conspiracy blogs).

This phenomenon is actually much bigger than just the flat earthers movement.
Trumps entire campaign actually used similar sentiments towards science, media and established institutions.

We are truly living in a post-factual world and if you ask me, they biggest threat to human kind right now is this form of anti-intellectualism we currently see on the rise everywhere in the west.
We as human beings can solve problems, but only if we recognize them. If we refuse to recognize them we are unable to solve them.

Vyse24

I didn't see it posted here, but someone on Imgur yesterday uploaded an explanation about why the Earth is round and not flat to piss off a flat-Earther who was harassing his friends. It's a long read, but worth it: https://imgur.com/gallery/BIHNM

And screw Sheldon

The one thing I've never understood from being a kid in science class is why if the earth spins so fast does it have no affect on the human body? Being on a plane or in orbit in a space shuttle should be a difference of speed exactly what the Earth's rotational speed is. But they experience no difference as far as movement speed than people on Earth, right?

When you travel at constant speed there are no forces acting on you, only when there is acceleration do you feel anything. You may easily notice it when traveling by car on a smooth road. You only feel forces when the car accelerates, breaks, or makes a turn.

When a car makes a turn, you feel a force that pushes you to the outside (it is in fact only a force in your accelerated reference frame, but that is besides the point), so you might expect that as the Earth spins, you should feel a force that pushes us outward. The effect does exist, but it is very tiny, because despite the large speed, the curvature is small because the radius of the Earth is large on our scale, i.e. it's like a car making a very wide turn, you almost don't feel anything. This centrifugal effect is responsible, however, for the Earth being slightly wider at the Equator.

Another important effect is the Coriolis effect, which tends to deviate the trajectory of objects in a rotating frame. You may experience it if you try to walk straight in a merry go round, you will feel a sideways force due to the rotating platform. On Earth, this effect is also tiny, but it is responsible for the sense of rotation of hurricanes, for instance.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
When you travel at constant speed there are no forces acting on you, only when there is acceleration do you feel anything. You may easily notice it when traveling by car on a smooth road. You only feel forces when the car accelerates, breaks, or makes a turn.

When a car makes a turn, you feel a force that pushes you to the outside (it is in fact only a force in your accelerated reference frame, but that is besides the point), so you might expect that as the Earth spins, you should feel a force that pushes us outward. The effect does exist, but it is very tiny, because despite the large speed, the curvature is small because the radius of the Earth is large on our scale, i.e. it's like a car making a very wide turn, you almost don't feel anything. This centrifugal effect is responsible, however, for the Earth being slightly wider at the Equator.

Another important effect is the Coriolis effect, which tends to deviate the trajectory of objects in a rotating frame. You may experience it if you try to walk straight in a merry go round, you will feel a sideways force due to the rotating platform. On Earth, this effect is also tiny, but it is responsible for the sense of rotation of hurricanes, for instance.
That's just what they want you to believe!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh man...

Someone teach me this scientific method that proves that the moon emits a putrid light that creates morning dew.

It's clearly satire.

It's just roped in a lot of poor unfortunates who believe it due to Poe's Law.

I really want to go to a convention.

jrush64

Banned
Woah.

We finally know what was going through her head.

GpRr07f.gif

... and maybe hers as well.

I've always wondered where this GIF is from.

The one thing I've never understood from being a kid in science class is why if the earth spins so fast does it have no affect on the human body? Being on a plane or in orbit in a space shuttle should be a difference of speed exactly what the Earth's rotational speed is. But they experience no difference as far as movement speed than people on Earth, right?

F = Ma
Force = Mass x Acceleration

No acceleration means no Force. If we are travelling at a constant velocity, you'll feel nothing.

SomTervo

When the train starts moving, you feel the push back into your seat.

When the train is trucking along the tracks at top speed, you feel nothing.

You'd only feel the earth's movement if it suddenly started spinning faster or slower. The best examples are roller coasters - the heavy push back into your seat is acceleration. In a car you feel it if you go from 0-60 very quickly. But once the car plateaus at 60 you'll feel nothing.

That's just what they want you to believe!

I am totally a paid shill by the science conspiracy. You won't believe what they do at CERN.

When the train starts moving, you feel the push back into your seat.

When the train is trucking along the tracks at top speed, you feel nothing.

You'd only feel the earth's movement if it suddenly started spinning faster or slower. The best examples are roller coasters - the heavy push back into your seat is acceleration. In a car you feel it if you go from 0-60 very quickly. But once the car plateaus at 60 you'll feel nothing.

People keep posting this. It is not wrong, but is only part of the explanation. Because the Earth is spinning, there actually is acceleration, and so there are in fact forces. They are just very tiny.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
These guys should just go sky diving but I'm sure they'll say the goggles you're wearing after you jump have LCD screens in them to project an image of a curved Earth or some nonsense.

Aliens and butt stuff right?

They collide protons at 99.999999% of the speed of light, using magnets kept colder than outer space, to recreate conditions that existed when the universe was a fraction of a second old, with a temperature of trillions of degrees, accumulating 10s of Petabytes of data per year.

also, Aliens, butt stuff and the occasional portal to Hell, but only like, recreationally

Lol you can't just launch people you disagree with into the sun.

Wait, you can't, right? I'm like 99% certain you can't do that.

I mean, you can't if you're a flat earther because you're going to have to figure out the whole celestial bodies problem to get anything into space.

Us rounders can totally send people we don't agree with into the sun.

Mivey

But this doesn't explain a sunset.
That's just how light is fractured on the Discworld. Normal light has enough endurance to keep at a straight line, unless it's influenced by an incredible gravity field. However, light on the Discworld is totally lazy and out of shape. So it just calls it a day after a few hundred thousand kilometres and arcs down, making it look like the sun is going under the "horizon", when in reality it's just going slightly to the left.

hobozero

It's only going to get waaay worse. I think it's all a symptom of fear. Fear of feeling stupid, fear of getting left behind by an increasingly complex world. How better to fight complexity than to simply reject it?

There is so much information out there, and more and more every day. People begin to feel overwhelmed - "Experts say I should eat eggs.", then "Eggs will kill me, what??". Combine information overload with mass media stoking and profiting on fear, and it makes sense people will start to just "check out".

It starts small, an act of personal anti-intellectual rebellion against the system that always seems to know more than you, and is always telling you how wrong you are. Maybe you think aliens built the pyramids. Maybe vaccines cause autism. Maybe Jews control the media. And suddenly, instead of just everyone telling you you're a bigoted, ignorant, WRONG person, there are all these groups of like minded people telling you, "They told us we were wrong too! But we know the secret TRUTH, and now SO DO YOU", Enabled and invigorated by your new friends and shielded from the onslaught of the modern world (and having to think about things! Ew!), most people will just go deeper and deeper, and insulate themselves more and more from rationality. Who's stupid now!? (Spoiler: yep, still you)

So we start with climate science denial, and end up at GRAVITY denial. Politically, all facts are all just "spin" anyway, so why listen to anything that doesn't reaffirm your own biases? We crossed the bipartisan event horizon some time ago and barely noticed the turbulence. Used to be a Holocaust denier would be a social pariah, now they work out of the White House.

So where do we go? Well, maybe it's just the growing pains of the information age. The industrial revolution spawned factory-smashing Luddites - maybe flat-earthers are just throwing their wrenches into the gears of science. Look how that worked out for the Luddites.

Or maybe this is just how it's going to be forever. Information and complexity aren't going away, quite the opposite. Maybe the only way we catch up is by maintaining an educated populace, with critical thinking skills for the modern world. How are public schools doing btw?

evolution_sticker.jpg

Oh.

Lach

I love how they don't seem to notice how all those full moon pictures are near the horizon.

And I guess they don't believe in porcupines either.

Sevenfold

Porcupines can have up to 30,000 quills!

F = Ma
Force = Mass x Acceleration

No acceleration means no Force. If we are travelling at a constant velocity, you'll feel nothing.

Not only that but personally I've had 40 years to get used to it. For all I know when I popped out of mum I was like wooaaaah this is like fucking rollercoaster how are you all stood up with this shit?!
Dang I don't get the Stegosaurus one.
Steggystyle?

But this doesn't explain a sunset.

It does a great job of explaining why places like Australia and South America get a solar and a lunar eclipse every 24 hours though.

I'm actually giggling to myself at how a believer in this dumb shit must think this looks like from the ground, the little fucking sun and moon zooming right up to your face, filling up the entire sky in Darwin, Australia, then flying off into the distance until its the size of a pea, but never actually leaving your line of sight.

That model of the sun's light looks even dumber during the December solstice, when Antarctica is completely illuminated.

uglpTPR.png

Yeah but, what does that have to do with a round Earth? Is there something I'm missing?

Pretty sure it's just more, "It's impossible for _____ to exist", "Scientists are liars."

ramparter

Banned
omg...It feels like the world is getting more stupid lately.
There were always stupid people, problem is the internet enabled them to get together and support each other's stupidity, giving them more confidence and making them more stubborn.

Jasup

”How are we Flat Earthers supposed to explain to our friends the solar eclipse in August?" asked one attendee. The room fell silent. ”We'll have to do more research and get back to you on that."

Going back to the beginning. I have a hunch how they'll answer this:

- It's not the moon eclipsing the sun as round earthers claim
- This is evident because you can't see the moon in the sky before it supposedly moves in front of the sun
- If the solar eclipse was caused by the moon we would see it
- Therefore the heliocentric model is debunked

I watch flat earther videos on YT for fun sometimes, they're great entertainment while drunk.

Can we just blast these people into space already? One way ticket. The irony of seeing a round earth before disappearing into space.

One of the exhibits at the Flat Earth International Conference is Hitcher, a social media platform for private circles only.

From their website:
Social Media Isn't Very Social Anymore
People are afraid of sharing personal info with strangers, they’re afraid of conflict, and they’re afraid of losing their jobs because of something they posted on social media.

Echo chamber, the app.

Jasup

This is actually quite valid as you are unable to detect the curvature of the earth from the airplane window at normal cruising altitudes. It's possible under specific circumstances in those altitudes, but normally you'd have to get much higher to see it.

As much as I like to laugh at flat earth proofs, some of the proofs for round earth circulating on the internet are also very weak. Some are outright false.

dankir

So what do flat earthers believe when you reach the end of the earth? You fall off? You flip over to the bottom side of the earth?

There's no way to continously fly across the "flat" globe?

Idiots...

What's the story behind the Mars pictures? It reads like someone found locations on Earth that look just like published Mars locations. Is it just someone trying to prove that they "could" use filters to give an Earth picture a Mars feel? Can't tell if the photos are supposed to be real.

Pictures come from a video by Danny Wilten, where he demonstrates how to make fake Mars photos by changing the color, "because that's what these idiots believe, they believe that Mars is just red."

Bsigg12

This is actually quite valid as you are unable to detect the curvature of the earth from the airplane window at normal cruising altitudes. It's possible under specific circumstances in those altitudes, but normally you'd have to get much higher to see it.

As much as I like to laugh at flat earth proofs, some of the proofs for round earth circulating on the internet are also very weak. Some are outright false.

You should just laugh at flat earthers regardless. It's easily one of the dumbest movements of the social media age.

Ah, that one.

Then why isn't the horizon curved when you're taxiing on the runway?

They have an automated system that changes out the curved glass for straight glass. They then kill everyone involved in constructing the glass and automated systems that do this, installing and maintaining them on planes, every time one of the windows has to be repaired or replaced. To protect the secret leprechaun gold that can be found at the end of the rainbow when you realize the Earth is flat and therefore rainbows are easy to find the bottom of!

Top Bottom