• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

These Coloradans say Earth is flat. And gravity’s a hoax. Now, they’re being persecut

Danneee

Flat earth?

Pfff, the earth is a pyramid!
Donate $5 PayPal (excluding fees) and I'll tell you more and how rounders and flatters are co-conspiring to make people believe only round shapes matters!

Xe4

Banned
F = Ma
Force = Mass x Acceleration

No acceleration means no Force. If we are travelling at a constant velocity, you'll feel nothing.

That's only partially true. We are accelerating because whenever something travels in a circle or elliptical path three's a centripetal acceleration. The acceleration of the Earth rotating is absolutely not negligible. We can measure it and observe it with stuff like the Foucault pendulum and the Coriolis effect. It's even important enough that it needs to be accounted for in spaceflight. The acceleration from the Earth orbiting the Sun or the Sun the Milky Way are much, much smaller because the time scales and distances involved are greater.

Here's the math, if you want to know.
https://www.decodedscience.org/how-...tion-of-earths-speed-and-acceleration/14288/2
https://www.decodedscience.org/how-...tion-of-earths-speed-and-acceleration/14288/3

Ah, that one.

Then why isn't the horizon curved when you're taxiing on the runway?
Not to mention you can see the curvature of the Earth on top of a large mountain, or looking across a large body of water, or a lot of things, really. Seriously, We've known the Earth is curved for thousands of years now, it's really not that difficult to figure out, especially compared to something like figuring out that we live in a heliocentric solar system. The calculations involved in that were much harder.

AndersK

I've always wondered where this GIF is from.

I'm slightly embarrassed to tell you it's from a half-decade old Danish Reality-docu called 'Summer in Sunny Beach'.
It follows several 18-22 years olds who travel to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria for some weeks of boozing and fucking.

I believe the...specimen in question on the left is her:
ssb2.jpg

It's was terrible. But in a very fascinating way.

“How are we Flat Earthers supposed to explain to our friends the solar eclipse in August?” asked one attendee. The room fell silent. “We’ll have to do more research and get back to you on that.”

It's easy to explain. What you're u don't know is that there are flying cities that the illuminati is trying to hide from us. For example, this year's eclipse will be the shadow of the northern flying city of Anaar.

The "moon" passing between the plane Earth and the sun is a NASA deception! Wake up!

Why don't any of these loons get a pilot's license and fly all over the world? They could film it and finally get documented proof that the world is flat!

StoneFox

Honestly, I would call myself a flat earther if it means someone will give me a free ride to space to prove to me that the Earth is round.

Gotta play for the endgame. ;P

LakeEarth

Why don't any of these loons get a pilot's license and fly all over the world? They could film it and finally get documented proof that the world is flat!
There's probably a dozen things a moderate income flat-Earth person could do to prove that they're right. But none of them will do it, of course. If they did, they'd probably freak out like Dale Gribble going to Dallas and realizing the official JFK assassination story makes perfect sense.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
This is what I'm wondering. Like the earth being flat shout be a relatively easy thing to prove if it were true.

Let's be real

They'll just cover their eyes and ears and say fake or something.

They wouldn't be flat earthers if they were capable of critical thinking

Many people have conducted experiments in their kitchens that prove flat earth!

Because why go outside and conduct real world experiences when you can do it in the comfort of your home?

matthewuk

Between the republicans, evangelicals, alt-right and the flat earthers I can see the new dark ages if they get their way.

Many have undoubtedly. But they never come back because the governments guarding the borders of the world catch them in order for people to not get to know the real truth.

I dunno if that's a common line of thought though, but it is one that I've seen.

So what do flat earthers believe when you reach the end of the earth? You fall off? You flip over to the bottom side of the earth?

There's no way to continously fly across the "flat" globe?

Idiots...

Some believe the Ice Walls reach is infinite and just keeps going. We are the only special ones apparently. Other planets are fake, there is no Galaxy, or other universes. So if somebody does climb the wall all they'll see is more ice?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

McLovin

So...

flat earth = there is a creator and we are special

round earth = there is no god and we are insignificant

... what?
thats basically what the church though back when we first found out it was round. They hung, burned, and beheaded anyone that said it was round.

This is what I'm wondering. Like the earth being flat shout be a relatively easy thing to prove if it were true.

Any indication that the earth is round or that there is no ice wall would obviously just be an hallucination caused by the government's chemtrails that they spray all over the population.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Technically, we are accelerating on a rotating Earth, because that is the nature of rotation. However, the upward acceleration vector caused by that rotation is directly opposed to gravity, and relative to gravity, is really really small.

Think about it - the Earth rotates fully in 24 hours. You stand up and try to rotate your own body one full rotation in 24 hours. Pretty slow, isn't it?

DrSlek

How the flipping heck does a flat Earth mean that there is a creator??? Wouldn't that mean that God has no idea what He's doing since a flat Earth doesn't make any sense?

Where does the Sun go when it sets and the moon appears? Does it go underneath the flat Earth? But then how come other places have sunlight?

Have people been watching too much Pirates of the Caribbean 3?

giR4249.gif

Dmented

Banned
Problem with the flat earth "theory" is that they have too many fucking theories.

But when it comes to the earth being round, there's really only one. But ofc that's because it's the governments theory to control you.

ThisGuy

So, do they believe if you stood on Mt. Everest and had a phenomenal telescope, you could see everywhere on planet earth?

What about everything we know about gravity and launching objects into space?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
See how do the Flat Earther's know that the Earth is flat? Maybe beyond the ice wall it just keeps going and is actually still on a giant sphere! I win!

Problem with the flat earth "theory" is that they have too many fucking theories.

But when it comes to the earth being round, there's really only one. But ofc that's because it's the governments theory to control you.
The earth is actually a flat moebius strip.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
But this doesn't explain a sunset.

That's a good point. I guess on a flat earth with that model of the sun, the sun would either get smaller and larger depending on the time of day, or would it would eclipse away as it stops facing you. You would never see it touch the ground.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If that system were valid and the Earth was flat then wouldn't I be able to see the sun at night? I'm not sure how that thing is supposed to work, even within the confines of their stupidity.

The sun is invisible from certain angles... I guess.

As is the moon.

It's not actually an omnidirectional light source, but probably bowl shaped and the bowl also rotates, but in a way that the light never looks circ-

I can't do this these people are too stupid.

jstripes

Banned
Technically, we are accelerating on a rotating Earth, because that is the nature of rotation. However, the upward acceleration vector caused by that rotation is directly opposed to gravity, and relative to gravity, is really really small.

Think about it - the Earth rotates fully in 24 hours. You stand up and try to rotate your own body one full rotation in 24 hours. Pretty slow, isn't it?

It's pretty wild when you think about it. You travel around the circumference of the Earth in 24 hours.

Unless you're standing close to the geographic poles. Then it's not so impressive.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Airlines are in on it MAN!

Everyone is in on it but no one is. All the nations and apparently every major corporation and business is all in cahoots but yet no one has clue what's really going on. This is the greatest conspiracy in the history of mankind and the world but you can google it in ten seconds.

Joeytj

Banned
Everyone is in on it but no one is. All the nations and apparently every major corporation and business is all in cahoots but yet no one has clue what's really going on. This is the greatest conspiracy in the history of mankind and the world but you can google it in ten seconds.

That's the thing about this conspiracy (and, really, most insane conspiracies). In order for them to work and actually benefit the people who come up with them, thousands and millions of individuals need to be in on them, thus defying the purpose of the conspiracy.

Everybody is part of the round-Earth conspiracy, and yet, it's still a conspiracy?

Except for these losers who need to feel they're part of something special. The same profile of people who become religious or political extremist on the internet.

I mean.... maximilan_dood already proved that the Earth is Flat when he first started playing Tekken 7

Basically in one stage, they had a ball rolling on forever until it "dropped" off the "edge" of the stage. Checkmate FGC.

Half the frustration I experience when I see this shit is I don't have the actual knowledge to refute most of it. I haven't had to take a science class since 2008.

And that was biology, not astronomy.

You lose a lot of this shit when you don't use it, which is maybe part of the problem.

NimbusD

When you travel at constant speed there are no forces acting on you, only when there is acceleration do you feel anything. You may easily notice it when traveling by car on a smooth road. You only feel forces when the car accelerates, breaks, or makes a turn.

When a car makes a turn, you feel a force that pushes you to the outside (it is in fact only a force in your accelerated reference frame, but that is besides the point), so you might expect that as the Earth spins, you should feel a force that pushes us outward. The effect does exist, but it is very tiny, because despite the large speed, the curvature is small because the radius of the Earth is large on our scale, i.e. it's like a car making a very wide turn, you almost don't feel anything. This centrifugal effect is responsible, however, for the Earth being slightly wider at the Equator.

Another important effect is the Coriolis effect, which tends to deviate the trajectory of objects in a rotating frame. You may experience it if you try to walk straight in a merry go round, you will feel a sideways force due to the rotating platform. On Earth, this effect is also tiny, but it is responsible for the sense of rotation of hurricanes, for instance.

Also something fun that my high school science teacher half jokingly told us to try to really get the full effect of not feeling speed, but only feeling changes in acceleration (force): try driving your car up a hill and let go of the gas. But keep your eyes closed the whole time. Because you're negative acceleration stays the same from the moment you let off the gas, you won't feel yourself slow, stop and go in reverse, the acceleration stays the same. I actually did that. I'm stupid.

God, science is so fun, flat earthers are really missing out.

Half the frustration I experience when I see this shit is I don't have the actual knowledge to refute most of it. I haven't had to take a science class since 2008.

And that was biology, not astronomy.

You lose a lot of this shit when you don't use it, which is maybe part of the problem.

You don't really need any sort of celestial-specific science. Basic physics completely disproves everything they say, often in the form of trivial calculations and experiments school children can do.

That's sort of what makes flat earthers so charming, I guess. Coaxing them into sharing their "theories" is like covering the eyes of a baby that hasn't developed object-permanence yet.

Top Bottom