• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

These Coloradans say Earth is flat. And gravity’s a hoax. Now, they’re being persecut

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
There's probably some Flat Earthers on GAF who are just seething whenever they see this thread bumped. Just seething. Not seething enough to actually like learn math and stuff, but seething nonetheless.

giR4249.gif

You know I can think of one way to make that work. If we turn the Earth into a sphere the line of sight on the light coming from the sun will be blocked on the far side of the Earth.

Amalthea

Banned
The stegosaurus on the right side isn't the opposite sex, it's simply the first clear side-view pic of an outdated tail-dragging stegosaurus you can find on Google.
In reality both stegs looked like the one on the left side and could easily stand beside each other to mate since they would basically show off their ass all the time.

The one thing I've never understood from being a kid in science class is why if the earth spins so fast does it have no affect on the human body? Being on a plane or in orbit in a space shuttle should be a difference of speed exactly what the Earth's rotational speed is. But they experience no difference as far as movement speed than people on Earth, right?
You'd feel some shit if we stopped.

Spectone

The stegosaurus on the right side isn't the opposite sex, it's simply the first clear side-view pic of an outdated tail-dragging stegosaurus you can find on Google.
In reality both stegs looked like the one on the left side and could easily stand beside each other to mate since they would basically show off their ass all the time.

How do echidnas mate?
profile_315_600.jpg

Fun fact the male echidna has a four headed penis.

I had someone properly believe the Earth is flat. He even refused to believe in gravity and claimed water can only be flat.

He claimed he was awake.

I then educated him on what gravity actually was but to be honest these people are too far gone for any of that to sink in.

patapuf

Ok. I kind of get not having the mental capacity to imagine the earth being round.

But what's with the "water can't curve" BS? That's observable even on a small scale.

Like, a drop of water small.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
These people should be forbidden to reproduce.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=32319.0

I live on the West coast of north America and at sunrise I called up my friend who lives 2000 miles away on the East coast of North America. I could just see the sun starting to come over the horizon, but for my friend the sun was much higher in the sky and casting full daylight. If we are both standing on the same flat surface why does the sun appear to be in different positions?

It's not that I don't believe you but get back to us once you've scanned and shown us your phone bill and the record of such a call (the morning of September 16, 2009) appears. For the sake of privacy black our your friend's telephone number. We prefer to verify such claims.
This is why Trump won.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=32319.0

Q. I live on the West coast of north America and at sunrise I called up my friend who lives 2000 miles away on the East coast of North America. I could just see the sun starting to come over the horizon, but for my friend the sun was much higher in the sky and casting full daylight. If we are both standing on the same flat surface why does the sun appear to be in different positions?

A. It's not that I don't believe you but get back to us once you've scanned and shown us your phone bill and the record of such a call (the morning of September 16, 2009) appears. For the sake of privacy black our your friend's telephone number. We prefer to verify such claims.

This is why Trump won.
no.gif

The weekly meet-ups also give forum to friendly lines of questioning. Some are straightforward (”What do you say back to people who call you stupid?") and summon a ready-made answer (”You're not stupid, period. They have to understand that there are deceptions going on at enormous levels"). Others stump even the experts. ”How are we Flat Earthers supposed to explain to our friends the solar eclipse in August?" asked one attendee. The room fell silent. ”We'll have to do more research and get back to you on that."

This is amazing. I just love this so much. Not only do they think that there is a global conspiracy perpetuated by millions of people over thousands of years, but they cannot answer questions that established, provable science has again answered thousands of years ago, and there is no actual evidence that the world is a disc which, if we're surrounded by a huge wall of ice all around the globe, I'm sure would be very easy to prove. It's fucking madness. They're just raving lunatics who need an audience to spout their nonsense.

Have any of those flat earth believers ever though about just going west/east/north/south until that supposedly to be there barrier turns out to not be there? I mean, this would be incredibly easy to prove right/wrong if you really believe in it.
Just have that circle of flat earthers collect a bit of many from everyone and than let 2 people do that trip.

The one thing I've never understood from being a kid in science class is why if the earth spins so fast does it have no affect on the human body? Being on a plane or in orbit in a space shuttle should be a difference of speed exactly what the Earth's rotational speed is. But they experience no difference as far as movement speed than people on Earth, right?

You don't feel speed. You only feel acceleration / deceleration. And Wind and stuff.

Have any of those flat earth believers ever though about just going west/east/north/south until that supposedly to be there barrier turns out to not be there? I mean, this would be incredibly easy to prove right/wrong if you really believe in it.
Just have that circle of flat earthers collect a bit of many from everyone and than let 2 people do that trip.

The others wouldn't believe them. Clearly brainwashed and simulated by "the government"

Apathy

Even the rotation gif makes no sense. Where the north pole? It would not exist? How do they explain compasses? It's so odd

They could take a private plane or boat from Ireland or UK and go straight west. On a flat earth you end up in Venezuela but on a globe you end up on the Canada US border near New York.

They could take a private plane or boat from Ireland or UK and go straight west. On a flat earth you end up in Venezuela but on a globe you end up on the Canada US border near New York.
They believe compasses point to the center. How would they accurately travel in a straight line? Baring the fact that if they had such a tool, they wouldn't test it anyway.

Anything that didn't conform to their beliefs would probably be labelled part of the conspiracy or faulty equipment.

You don't really need any sort of celestial-specific science. Basic physics completely disproves everything they say, often in the form of trivial calculations and experiments school children can do.

That's sort of what makes flat earthers so charming, I guess. Coaxing them into sharing their "theories" is like covering the eyes of a baby that hasn't developed object-permanence yet.
I'm saying when a flat earther goes, "How come the vacuum of space doesn't suck away all our air! See space doesn't exist?" I shrug and go "Fuck i dunno, probably gravity."

It's really not a question i can properly process without a bunch of weed.

Chinbo37

A friend of mine started one of the biggest Flat Earth groups on Facebook. He constantly travels around the country for Flat Earth meet ups.

I have read all the theories and "proofs" of Flat Earth. Some are interesting but I dont buy it.

Generally, all the people who work in science and meteorology and the military and university professors any other job that requires an understanding of the globe earth. So what exactly happens with those people? Do they all think the earth is round when it is flat and all their research and day to day lives are based on some small conspiracy against them? Or do they reach a certain level and someone takes them aside to explain "the truth of the flat earth" and then they proceed with their lives after becoming part of the conspiracy themselves (and they never mention it to anyone).

Just that part alone never made sense and no flat earther could ever explain that.

^ the totality of the theory, from 'science' to social structure to economic ramifications to the very.philosophical structures employed, doesn't work. It relies on a trillion leaps in all directions at the same time.

Occam's razor melts in the face of such wildly irresponsible thinking.

TheExodu5

Banned
“The heliocentric model says that we’re spinning at 1,038 mph. They say you won’t notice it because it’s a continual motion. But you should be able to feel it. You shouldn’t be able to function allegedly spinning that fast.”

Acceleration how does it work?

How can I walk around in an airplane going at hundreds of MPH?

Idiots.

Elandyll

Banned
Acceleration how does it work?

How can I walk around in an airplane going at hundreds of MPH?

Idiots.
BECAUSE then you're inside the plane and protected.

If the Earth was round and you'd step outside your house, here is what should happen.

giphy.gif

Checkmate, Moran Science Geeks!

I'm saying when a flat earther goes, "How come the vacuum of space doesn't suck away all our air! See space doesn't exist?" I shrug and go "Fuck i dunno, probably gravity."

It's really not a question i can properly process without a bunch of weed.

Don't have time to explain right now, but it is gravity. Earth has an atmosphere and, say, mars, doesn't because the density of earth is much higher than mars. So the gravitational force on particles is stronger (but also weak enough that lighter molecules like hydrogen and helium actually can escape to space).

Don't have time to explain right now, but it is gravity. Earth has an atmosphere and, say, mars, doesn't because the density of earth is much higher than mars. So the gravitational force on particles is stronger (but also weak enough that lighter molecules like hydrogen and helium actually can escape to space).
lol gravity doesn't exist bruh
The firmament is what separates the earth plane from paradise

Rookhelm

It's one thing to suggest that thousands (millions?) of people are lying to the population and have created this grand deception to force our brains to think a certain way.

If all it was was people "lying", then maybe....but in order for flat earth to be true, that would mean everything from math, to physics, to chemistry, to geology, to biology would have to be fake, too. Like, someone invented fake math and physics to perpetuate this lie.

I thought Mars' atmosphere was thin because the planet lacks an EM field to protect it from solar wind stripping it away. Or is it a little of column A and B?

norm9

Looked up interpretations of Dante's hell and thought it'd fit into flat earth worldview with what's under us, but even Dante or his illustrator drew a round earth.

Top Bottom