• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flat-Earthers Have a Wild New Theory About Forests (The Atlantic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greedings

People in here aren't even reading what was said. The guy isn't claiming that there aren't -what we would call - forests, but rather what a real forest is, is something totally different. Giant trees that we would confuse the stumps for mountains.

Saying "well I've camped in a forest" isn't countering his point.

sub_o

This is the plot twist for the next Star Ocean's sci-fi JRPG right?

Sorry Edge Maverick, but the earth is actually a flat triangle, and you're the daughter-father of my pet dog.

This is a bit too much. It wouldn't surprise me if this was made up by academics to study the speed at which a new conspiracy theory can spread.

I personally thought of doing this a few times since I was a kid (I remember that about 20 years ago, my father had told me a very old catchphrase that nobody used anymore; I used it a few times in school and suddenly everybody started using it again)

This is a bit too much. It wouldn't surprise me if this was made up by academics to study the speed at which a new conspiracy theory can spread.

I personally thought of doing this a few times since I was a kid (I remember that about 20 years ago, my father had told me a very old catchphrase that nobody used anymore; I used it a few times in school and suddenly everybody started using it again)

That's so fetch.

Strange thread bump.

Anyway this bullshit is like me claiming sky whales used to exist because i can see there spirits flying in the sky. They just get confused for clouds and the government keeps it a secret because they use its spirit blubber to fuel there war machines. They harvest it with planes engines. That why you see the white trails come out only sometimes. Just excess leakage when they have harvested to much.

Shit i think i mighy actually be on to something.

Morat

Banned
Strange thread bump.

Anyway this bullshit is like me claiming sky whales used to exist because i can see there spirits flying in the sky. They just get confused for clouds and the government keeps it a secret because they use its spirit blubber to fuel there war machines. They harvest it with planes engines. That why you see the white trails come out only sometimes. Just excess leakage when they have harvested to much.

Shit i think i mighy actually be on to something.

That actually makes more sense than chemtrails

Ha! The people who made this are sheeple. They don't even address how the real trees of prehistoric origin are actually advanced alien technology that slowly drained our world of life essence in order to revive an older, now dormant civilisation.

...Or was that FFIX?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I follow some guy on Twitter who is in the Flat Earth Group on Facebook and some of the stuff he posts is hilarious

DHrptGuUIAQykJO.jpg
Really makes you think

"Glober"
wat

I can't tell if that's a joke or not
Checkmate NASA

Painguy

Can sum1 explain the reason for believing the earth is flat? Like whats the point of lying about the shape of the earth? How does that benefit the ppl lying?

Can sum1 explain the reason for believing the earth is flat? Like whats the point of lying about the shape of the earth? How does that benefit the ppl lying?

People want to feel a part of something. Some crazy people go to this extent to feel a part of something and special. They know the "truth" and everyone else is just ignorent / a moron. Therefore they are special.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I follow some guy on Twitter who is in the Flat Earth Group on Facebook and some of the stuff he posts is hilarious

Really makes you think

"Glober"

wat

I can't tell if that's a joke or not

Checkmate NASA

I have nobody like this on my Facebook feed. And I'm jealous :-(

Although I'm interested in whether anybody else from the UK hears this stuff from their circles, because I only ever hear it on international sites.

People want to feel a part of something. Some crazy people go to this extent to feel a part of something and special. They know the "truth" and everyone else is just ignorent / a moron. Therefore they are special.

But that doesn't explain their internal logic for the lie itself. In their mind, what is the reason everyone is lying to them about the shape of the earth?

But that doesn't explain their internal logic for the lie itself. In their mind, what is the reason everyone is lying to them about the shape of the earth?

Its not a reason that makes sense. Its normally some BS about the government dont want you to know because [insert reason here]. Its all nonsense. They just force themselves to believe it because they want to believe and have found others willing to reinforce their crazy belief.

You throw science in these peoples faces and they will flat out refuse to believe it and find some dumb strawman to convince themselves they are still right.

These so-called flat earthers are a hoax by the media to get clicks and I refuse to believe in them!

The people who start this shit prob are. Just look at the "Dr" that is still to this day pedling the whole anti vaxer shit. He knows its bullshit but he makes tons of money from it. These people are selfish horrible people who prey on the desperate to make themselves money. The biggest case of this is scientology. It's all the same but that one has prob cought on the largest.

Its not a reason that makes sense. Its normally some BS about the government dont want you to know because [insert reason here]. Its all nonsense. They just force themselves to believe it because they want to believe and have found others willing to reinforce their crazy belief

The people who start this shit prob are. Just look at the "Dr" that is still to this day pedling the whole anti vaxer shit. He knows its bullshit but he makes tons of money from it. These people are selfish horrible people who prey on the desperate to make themselves money. The biggest case of this is scientology. It's all the same but that one has prob cought on the largest.
Flat earthers are in an entirely different league to anti-vaxxers because they are required to believe things that contradicted by simple observation and go out of their way to engage in convoluted reasoning to support their beliefs, e.g. :
-- the moon is self-illuminating
-- flight information on flights between two countries in the Southern Hemisphere is faked;
-- fish lens conspiracies
-- NASA routinely dumped Space Shuttles into the ocean
-- Antarctica doesn't exist, etc, etc

Sometimes you get the feeling they just come up with new dumb shit because the old theories alone are getting boring after a while.

Flat earthers are in an entirely different league to anti-vaxxers because they are required to believe things that contradicted by simple observation and go out of their way to engage in convoluted reasoning to support their beliefs, e.g. :
-- the moon is self-illuminating
-- flight information on flights between two countries in the Southern Hemisphere is faked;
-- fish lens conspiracies
-- NASA routinely dumped Space Shuttles into the ocean
-- Antarctica doesn't exist, etc, etc

Oh I know. They are completely nuts or beyond willfully ignorant.

LakeEarth

They also have to be very lazy. If Antarctica is fake, why don't you book a trip there? Lots of cruises and expeditions are offered on any trip website. Forests don't exist? Go on a road trip! What's stopping you, other than shadowy government men that'll turn you around if you go... Oh wait, why don't you try to take pictures of them too?

I wonder if that one gaffer, caffeware, is still (pretending to be) a flat earther.
Every time I hear about flat earth theory, it becomes more implausible.

Kazuhira

My theory is that these people live inside their own asses.
How long before Netflix buys the rights and makes a series about this bs? i'll eat my own turds for a month if it happens.

Koren

Forests don't exist? Go on a road trip!
Well, the trick is... they define trees as 10, 100km high things. So per their definition, it's technically true, forest don't exist anymore.

I love how they come to this conclusion in one of the videos: a fire destroyed 99% of the biosphere, so some time in the past, there were 100 times more bio material than now (Recovering? What's that?). Since horizontal space is limited, it must be up...

Flawless...

I could be curious about where went the carbon, but I shouldn't try to be logical with people like this...

Koren

It never ceases to amaze me how many people confuse 180 degrees with 360 degrees.
Well, for a half-spin object, a 360° rotation brings you in the opposite direction. It needs 720° to revert to its original state.

Who said you were a boson? He's a liar!

Let alone if we live in a non-flat space ;)

I sincerely hope every one of these dangerous idiots has a heart attack and purges the world of their ignorance.

It's amazing that with the advent of free information exchange through the internet, society is getting dumber. Not all of society, of course, but these fringe anti-intellectual movements and conspiracy subcultures are only growing in size and prominence.

People in here aren't even reading what was said. The guy isn't claiming that there aren't -what we would call - forests, but rather what a real forest is, is something totally different. Giant trees that we would confuse the stumps for mountains.

Saying "well I've camped in a forest" isn't countering his point.
What the guy says is really misleading though...

"There are no forests."

Uh, yes they are. He thinks the trees used to be bigger. Great. A collection of "smaller" trees is still a forest.

Well, for a half-spin object, a 360° rotation brings you in the opposite direction. It needs 720° to revert to its original state.

Who said you were a boson? He's a liar!

Let alone if we live in a non-flat space ;)

Look, let's not entertain the idea that anyone making the mistake with360 Vs 180 has ever heard of particle spin or non Euclidean geometries.

Koren

Look, let's not entertain the idea that anyone making the mistake with360 Vs 180 has ever heard of particle spin or non Euclidean geometries.
^_^ Definitively not, but that's good damage control anyway...

I often wonder what people want when they say they "want to do a revolution"... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom