• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2- Planetsized Battlefield now on Ps4

Cronox

Banned
I'm a PC player myself, but just want to give general encouragement here - assuming the port is running/playing well, give yourself a little time to figure out this game. It doesn't always make the best first impression depending on what you choose to do first. Get an idea of what the classes do and what the vehicles do in the training area, then check your map and find indicators of high enemy activity. That's where you want to go. The quickest way there is instant action (if you can use it to go where you want) or taking a flying vehicle there. Good luck!

Vanu is Purple/Green, NC is Yellow/Blue, TR is Red/Black.

Mahonay

Banned
I have it downloaded already. I'll be able to give it a shot on Thursday. I'll post my player details here. Played a bit of the PS4 beta and liked it enough to want to dig into it some more.

Anyone else having issues grouping up? I'm trying to play with some friends and we've been trying for about an hour to make a squad, without success. Hardest part so far has been loading into the same instance, which seems odd.

I assume it's just launch day issues and will smooth out after a while, but it's been a bit frustrating.

5taquitos

As with any online release, I'll be waiting about a week for things to cool down. I imagine things will be better by the end of the week, but the weekend may kill the servers again.

Arrrammis

Personally, I like it so far. There are a few issues (people randomly flying across the map and disappearing, damage marker staying in the same place even after I respawn, having no way to stop swaying when aiming a sniper rifle(I tried pressing L3 to hold my breath, and it made the sound, but had no effect)), but overall I like the gameplay and the idea of always having an objective. The only major frustration is having a place where nobody uses a mic or pays attention (there are 2 other cap points guys!).

Tried one of the less-populated servers and had some enormous server-side problems. Allied players were moving about normally (for the most part) but every single enemy without fail was teleporting around as if this were an FPS set in the Dragonball Z universe.

ramuh

Down for maintenance. This is my first ever foray into PS2, and I like it! I didn't like the crappy lagging going on. I guess that's to be expected for now.

i know it's the first day and all but this was fucking garbage. i picked my faction and was then put into the base. not sure wtf i was supposed to be doing but it said something about securing points A, B and C with marker. I head for the closest marker. I get killed by a guy on my faction. "Watch out for friendly fire, don't stand in someones way!"

alright.

do it again. head towards the marker. get killed by someone in my faction.

ok.

start again, this time basically looking out for ANYONE so as to avoid being shot. finally make it to one of the markers. stand there.... not sure what im supposed to be doing. nothing is happening. i see a bunch of guys shifting in and out of the screen.... i dont even know wtf is happening at this point.

turned off the game and that was that! maybe i'll play it again in a month when things have stabilized (if that happens!)

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Though it was buggy as fuck, I had a blast. I got killed by my own faction a few times but we're all getting use to friendly fire. I cant wait for the sever to go back up.

kcxiv

i know it's the first day and all but this was fucking garbage. i picked my faction and was then put into the base. not sure wtf i was supposed to be doing but it said something about securing points A, B and C with marker. I head for the closest marker. I get killed by a guy on my faction. "Watch out for friendly fire, don't stand in someones way!"

alright.

do it again. head towards the marker. get killed by someone in my faction.

ok.

start again, this time basically looking out for ANYONE so as to avoid being shot. finally make it to one of the markers. stand there.... not sure what im supposed to be doing. nothing is happening. i see a bunch of guys shifting in and out of the screen.... i dont even know wtf is happening at this point.

turned off the game and that was that! maybe i'll play it again in a month when things have stabilized (if that happens!)
You need to secure bases. it takes a while to lock them up and then transfer over and you won that part of the map. They kinda just throw you into it. I just played until i obvserved and learned, had alot of fun with it on PC.

Just as a note for those asking about grouping up (as I was), to do this properly, we'll need to set up an Outfit.

Is there anyone with some experience doing this from PC? And anyone with experience doing Platoon lead? Because Platoon lead in particular can be a thankless and at times boring job.

How much of this is pay2play/pay2win?
From what I remember of my PC days, I don't really think it is. The starting guns are all viable. The other weapons are more of "sidegrades" than actual upgrades.

The biggest problem you'll experience is that the game doesn't have so much of a nice learning curve as a learning wall to scale.

Electret

How's the framerate holding up, ladies n' gents? Any insight is appreciated, as I don't want to spend all that time downloading the game from slow-as-molasses PSN if it spends a lot of time below 30 FPS.

Soi-Fong

From what I remember of my PC days, I don't really think it is. The starting guns are all viable. The other weapons are more of "sidegrades" than actual upgrades.

The biggest problem you'll experience is that the game doesn't have so much of a nice learning curve as a learning wall to scale.

Don't think I'll be able to get on. Download is sooo slow. Shit.

Add me guys:

PSN: Asane

I'll get on tomorrow for sure.

TraBuch

Banned
I always enjoyed shooting grenades into big groups of enemies waiting to get into your base. People just never learn.

VariantX

Welp the PS4 experience so far has been mixed at best compared to the PC launch. Seeing lots and lots of lag I didnt experience on the PC. Guys just teleporting infront of you and you suddenly drop. Shot a guy full of bullets and he drops maybe 2-3 ish seconds later after. Also a persistent message saying the servers will kick everyone in 15 minutes keeps popping up, and it never actually kicks anyone, just resets the timer every 15 minutes. Menus have glitched out for me twice as I couldn't resupply ammo at a sunderer or a rec station.

Played for an hour. The game can't handle massive amounts of players on screen. FPS tanks hard during those.

I don't know why they made player names be colored by faction. Playing as Terran Republic is a pain in the ass because people are going into this with the "If it's red, it's dead." mindset. People are killing each other while trying to fight the two other factions. It becomes hysterical.

That said playing as a Combat Medic during launch makes it oh so satisfying watching that XP on screen. So many revives. SO MANY.

Arrrammis

Played for an hour. The game can't handle massive amounts of players on screen. FPS tanks hard during those.

I don't know why they made player names be colored by faction. Playing as Terran Republic is a pain in the ass because people are going into this with the "If it's red, it's dead." mindset. People are killing each other while trying to fight the two other factions. It becomes hysterical.

That said playing as a Combat Medic during launch makes it oh so satisfying watching that XP on screen. So many revives. SO MANY.
The colors really are annoying, playing as Vanu or the new conglomerate is annoying because the blue and light purple look really similar, so its hard to tell who's ally or enemy until they start shooting.

shinn623

Goodness gracious do we need a Gaf squad going. PUGs are horrible. Squad leaders don't drop squad beacons, so just running forever after death :(

Eesh. Reiterating my info once again. Need as much PS2 buddies as possible. Played quite extensively on PC if it means anything.

PSN: Heaven-Assassin1
Region: NA
Server: Genudine
Faction: Vanu

Also I'm assuming we're going to have a GAF outfit correct?

Maybe we should get a G spreadsheet going and we all just add our info?

Arrrammis

Goodness gracious do we need a Gaf squad going. PUGs are horrible. Squad leaders don't drop squad beacons, so just running forever after death :(

Eesh. Reiterating my info once again. Need as much PS2 buddies as possible. Played quite extensively on PC if it means anything.

PSN: Heaven-Assassin1
Region: NA
Server: Genudine
Faction: Vanu

Also I'm assuming we're going to have a GAF outfit correct?
Hopefully, but nobody seems to know how to go in and create a Gaf outfit/platoon/whatever, so if you have some experience from the PC version, feel free to make one! I am personally just inviting everyone in the thread for my friends list so that I could join them rather than PUGs.

The colors really are annoying, playing as Vanu or the new conglomerate is annoying because the blue and light purple look really similar, so its hard to tell who's ally or enemy until they start shooting.

It's really not difficult. Honest question, do you have trouble discerning colours in other games?

shinn623

Hopefully, but nobody seems to know how to go in and create a Gaf outfit/platoon/whatever, so if you have some experience from the PC version, feel free to make one! I am personally just inviting everyone in the thread for my friends list so that I could join them rather than PUGs.

I have no idea either, considering the progression is so different from the PC version.

I'm assuming one would have to hit rank 15 first as that is when they put you out into the "real" world so to speak. Guess we'll find out soon enough

Arrrammis

It's really not difficult. Honest question, do you have trouble discerning colours in other games?
Not usually, but I am used to games where enemies and allies have markers that are clear from far away or at a cursory glance (I.e. allies are green, enemies are red - some major contrast like that). I'll get used to it eventually. The half second hesitation making sure someone isn't an ally has lost me several firefights already.

Not usually, but I am used to games where enemies and allies have markers that are clear from far away or at a cursory glance (I.e. allies are green, enemies are red - some major contrast like that). I'll get used to it eventually. The half second hesitation making sure someone isn't an ally has lost me several firefights already.

Ha, when in doubt, just shoot anyway! The TTK is huge so it's not too bad if you put a few bullets in the wrong person.

Top Bottom