• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2- Planetsized Battlefield now on Ps4

Mossybrew

Took a couple hours to orient myself but then started having fun. If you've played PS1 or 2 I'd advise getting off that newb island ASAP. Got into some big scraps and had some fun. Didn't see any main battle tanks or air power due to everyone being low level, but it will evolve.

Advise - use instant action. Get a handle on base layouts. They are really confusing, even spawning in your own base, unless you are light assault and can jetpack down, it's a maze to find the stairs down.

TTK is similar to Battlefield. Short bursts. But, there's more chaos and it's harder to identify your enemies than in a BF game. Can be frustrating at first but you get used to it.

Controls barely explained. Hold both R1 and L1 to throw a grenade. To switch to third weapon, for example Heavy Gunner's anti-vehicle missile, hold triangle.

Maps are massive. Follow the zerg, or get involved enough to play with others. This can easily devolve into a spawn/die/spawn meatgrinder, but there is also a ton of potential for strategy.

PrinceKee

Where so I start with this game. I played the beta and had no idea what to do. I played it twice and never went back because I had no idea what to do. I guess I'll start by making a new character and get on the GAF Server...

zedge

Someone needs to make a GAF outfit.

PSN: xzedgex
Game: StormtrooperZ

Also f Sony and their cheap ass mics. Had to mute like 5 people with their noisy mics. Like ear shattering a couple of them. :/

Dryk

The colors really are annoying, playing as Vanu or the new conglomerate is annoying because the blue and light purple look really similar, so its hard to tell who's ally or enemy until they start shooting.
When I started the PC version I switched from Vanu to TR within an hour because of this problem. It turned out that I preferred the TR anyway though so...

dugdug

Banned
If it's anything like the pc version there should be a tutorial in the menus. Or try at one of the computer terminals in the warp gate Mabey?

Even though i only played a couple hours of it, I remember how the PC version had a full tutorial. How they didn't put it in this version is fucking unfathomable. That, mixed with the terrible servers and lag, and I bet this shit is dead within weeks.

I honestly feel like it isn't even finished. Was really looking forward to it, as well.

Alright, so I did a bit of Googling and it seems like outfits aren't currently enabled in PS2 on PS4. So we have to wait for that to get updated I guess.

In the meantime, while we wait, let's get everyone's name down on a spreadsheet. If you have experience leading outfits or platoons in PS2 on PC, please let us know so we can figure out who is going to be leading us once the outfits are enabled properly:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HmFGTjK-eeBxLH8eS3HFCQ9CGLcuCMHPeaWmlfLxHPM/edit?usp=sharing

PSN: newrome
Region: US
Server: Genudine
Faction: Vanu

tfur

Played for hours, but did not really know what I was doing.

I became an infiltrator, but I could not switch to my sniper rifle. Just a spotting tool and a hand gun, even though it showed all three to the right when pressing triangle. Maybe a bug?

Played for hours, but did not really know what I was doing.

I became an infiltrator, but I could not switch to my sniper rifle. Just a spotting tool and a hand gun, even though it showed all three to the right when pressing triangle. Maybe a bug?
I think it is. I had a similar problem in the beta with the heavy class. I had to close the game and restart to fix it. Was hoping this problem was fixed by release. It didn't happen too often though.

tfur

I think it is. I had a similar problem in the beta with the heavy class. I had to close the game and restart to fix it. Was hoping this problem was fixed by release. It didn't happen too often though.

Okay good. I spent like 20 minutes trying to figure it out.

I think I need to go find some tutorials on how to play.

Flambe

Excited to try this out, really enjoyed the PC version for a long time =] Pretty badass when you're in the midst of 40+ tanks/apcs/atvs bombing down a road to a target with strike craft zooming overhead in the same direction.

Lag sucks but will be fixed, pc plays nice

Oh man this is so much fun. At first our team was struggling but once we got a sunderer stationed strategically for everyone to spawn closer to the base we started making our move. Nothing like seeing 50 infantry running toward an outpost with just as many soldiers inside as we had coming in. Epic battle. Once the turrets kicked up and vehicles entered the battle I switched to Heavy infantry and started taking out all the defensive turrets so our tanks could move in better.

Game is so good. No slowdown yet and the lag seems to be getting better

Nafai1123

Banned
Genudine Vanu here. Got to play about an hour tonight. Some of the lag was really terrible but hopefully that's just first night woes.

PSN: Nafai1123

Was tough at first getting kills as a light combat guy so switched to heavy, bought a grip for more stability and laser sight and went to town.

Best run was 2800xp. Took out an enemy tank and sunderer as well as multiple enemy kills and 2 turrets. Kept going back for more ammo. So good.

Population is getting larger by the minute even this late

Just got 3800xp on a turret lol. Was taking out vehicles left and right and took down half a squad coming through a side entrance of the base.

love this game

Gonna hop in on this, been wanting to play this for a while since playing a couple times on PC a long time ago. Glad to see you guys went Vanu :) Will join Genudine if I can after it finishes downloading sometime tomorrow!

PSN ID: K_r_a_z_y_K

biteren

barit

Err downloaded it yesterday and wanted to play now but only getting this message "Servers not available"

What I'm doing wrong? (EU btw)

Edit: Nvm. Servers are on at 4PM GMT

As a PC player with over 1000 hours I must say it turned out much better than I was expecting. Played for about 2 hours, framerate held up well, vast improvement from when I played the early closed beta. New player experience is still a problem, was amusing watching the clueless newbies running around team killing each other. Once the servers smooth out and people catch on to how you play this game its going to be a ton of fun for PS players, just stick with it guys- it will click.

Aquila

Added myself to the google doc. PSN: Aquila_Red I've been looking at this for a long time on PC and hope it'll tie me over til Battlefront.

Two questions though. What makes New Conglomerate so popular? And are Vanu aerial craft good enough compared to the other factions'?

Noaloha

What makes New Conglomerate so popular?
I can only speak for myself personally, but I got into Planetside 2 from being a big fan of ShackTactical's videos on Youtube, and two of the popular fellows from that gaming group -- CHkilroy and Beaglerush -- would put out occasional PS2 videos and they'd praise the New Conglomerate way. You could argue I essentially fanboyed my way into that faction, but hell, it stuck. Soon after I started playing I watched a lot of the SomethingAwful recruitment videos (for their Goon outfit, but they pretty much serve as all-purpose New Conglomerate propaganda pieces, ha) by Youtube user Crushboss, videos like this and this. So, I guess for me, it's simply a matter of I 'picked a team' early on and I subsequently get a peculiar (childish) sort of enjoyment from remaining resolutely, um, faithful to that team. NC 4 lyfe!

EDIT: oh, I forgot, as for why NC might seem popular in general, I don't know if that's actually the case as it's been forever since I looked at population numbers, but I do know that New Conglomerate's megacorporation overlords, the business-suits paying the wages, do a fine job of selling the faction as 'Space America' -- freedom, liberty and rock music, etc. That's horseshit (NC is much more 'Space PMC') but, sure, you present the faction as Space Merikuh (as opposed to TR's 'Space Nazis' and VC's 'Space Cultists') and I can see that swaying a lot of young potential recruits, so to speak.

grmlin

As a PC player with over 1000 hours I must say it turned out much better than I was expecting. Played for about 2 hours, framerate held up well, vast improvement from when I played the early closed beta. New player experience is still a problem, was amusing watching the clueless newbies running around team killing each other. Once the servers smooth out and people catch on to how you play this game its going to be a ton of fun for PS players, just stick with it guys- it will click.

Are there any good tutorials available in the webs? I remember trying this on PC, I had no fucking clue what to do and never tried it again.

Keihart

Finally we can play PS2 in PS4, backwards compatibility is here!

...i hope this runs better than the PC one at launch , i stoped playing the game on PC because the latency and performance issues it had at launch. didn't bother to try again later.

Pop

Played for hours yesterday. Game holds up really well compared to the PC version. Is the framerate dropping bad in massive battles? I think it is or I am just use to playing at 60fps lately.

biteren

Played for hours yesterday. Game holds up really well compared to the PC version. Is the framerate dropping bad in massive battles? I think it is or I am just use to playing at 60fps lately.

it drops pretty bad sometimes, but somtimes i think its lag

f@luS

More than a member.
cant get past main screen

"press X"
"login.."
server unavailable

....back

"press X..."

infinite loop

how can anyone release a game like this

Top Bottom