• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lernaean

Banned
*sees that LTTP Wonderful 101 thread* *sighs*
*sees people cheering that Bayonetta 2 underperformed in Japan* *siiiiighs*

Bayonetta 2 did not underperform in Japan. W101 opened with 5k and was a critical failure (i disagree, but on paper it was). Bayonetta 2 opened with 38k and is so far a critical success. I've said it many times, but 1) the battle will be fought in the west, and 2) i expect 500k lifetime worldwide sales.
Also that 38k are the first weekend, not week.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Bayonetta 2 did not underperform in Japan. W101 opened with 5k and was a critical failure (i disagree, but on paper it was). Bayonetta 2 opened with 38k and is so far a critical success. I've said it many times, but 1) the battle will be fought in the west, and 2) i expect 500k lifetime worldwide sales.
Also that 38k are the first weekend, not week.

Well, I'd say W101 was 75% positive, 25% negative (AKA people who didn't get it). The worst review I read for it no longer exists (Blistered Thumbs).

I know the game did slightly better in the West (emphasis on slightly). Hopefully Bayo 2 is the same way.
But as JP said this morning to a troll on Twitter "Let us worry about sales, you worry if the game is fun".

Lernaean

Banned
I know the game did slightly better in the West (emphasis on slightly). Hopefully Bayo 2 is the same way.
But as JP said this morning to a troll on Twitter "Let us worry about sales, you worry if the game is fun".

I expect Bayo 2 to do a lot better in the west.
And about what JP said. I think it's the only logical thing. I don't even know why we as gamers have to worry about sales, what we should care is if the game is good and if we are gonna be having fun with it, and Bayo 2 seems to cover both.

Coda

I think people are trying to compare PS2 games sales numbers to now. Which just doesn't work because console gaming is on the decline. If Bayonetta 2 makes 1 million sales I'd be surprised. It's the kinda game most of the sales will be in the first couple weeks anyway.

BatDan

I think people are trying to compare PS2 games sales numbers to now. Which just doesn't work because console gaming is on the decline. If Bayonetta 2 makes 1 million sales I'd be surprised. It's the kinda game most of the sales will be in the first couple weeks anyway.

Maybe.
I know new Wii U owners are happening everyday, and W101 has a pretty strong attach rate (at least on here). Not as strong as Mario Kart 8 but it's more a slow burn than a front-loaded Destiny launch.
Bayo 2 could be the same, a slow burn.

Lernaean

Banned
I'm so jealous of the Japanese right now. This game could be saving my life right now.

If you don't stop changing profile pictures so often, you'll ruin my life XD

And yea, i'm jealous too. But i still have avoided watching anything. I want to be as virgin as possible when i first boot the disc.

Who/why are the people cheering that Bayonetta 2 "underperforms"?

The usual brand loyal losers ofc.

BatDan

Who/why are the people cheering that Bayonetta 2 "underperforms"?

Vindication.
A lot of people were beyond upset that Bayo 2 was exclusive. Despite all the explanations that it wouldn't exist if not for Nintendo.
So much so that I've seen people wish failure on the game because it isn't on PS4 or XB1. The latest Media Create report only furthers that.

Lernaean

Banned
Vindication.
A lot of people were beyond upset that Bayo 2 was exclusive. Despite all the explanations that it wouldn't exist if not for Nintendo.
So much so that I've seen people wish failure on the game because it isn't on PS4 or XB1. The latest Media Create report only furthers that.

This.
I just used fewer words :p

Tenki

Vindication.

AKA stupidity.

Remember how we were literally just complaining about a lack of Korra game footage? Well, they were nice enough to upload a whole 1 minute and 40 seconds!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=960802340603026

Facebook link though, urgh. I wanted to download it and make some graphics for the OT.

tumblr_ncfeibkK3p1rogcuio1_500.gif

Lernaean

Banned
o_O Mari Shimazaki answered my tweet too. I'm geeking out now.

Also awesome points about sales talk from JP, i'll just leave this here, but theres a lot more in his twitter.

@PG_jp: But I guarantee that the younger version of you, the one that truly loved games, wouldn't want to carry a conversation with you about sales.

popyea

Anyone knows the answer to this? It's kinda important.

My best guess is it's the Anarchy Reigns team, or whatever most closely resembles that team currently. I don't know if Platinum retains team structures like that or not though, or if staff get shifted around depending on what's being worked on.

antibolo

Banned
I don't think Infinite Space really counts as a Platinum Games game. I'm pretty sure that their contribution was minor at best.

o_O Mari Shimazaki answered my tweet too. I'm geeking out now.

Also awesome points about sales talk from JP, i'll just leave this here, but theres a lot more in his twitter.

That tweet is spot on for me, as Platinum Games take me back to a time where the most important thing was gameplay (the arcade / NES / SNES era mostly) before it became about cutscenes and polycounts. In fact Devil May Cry was one of the first games that challenged me again this century and "woke me up" after so long.

Nemmy

Remember how we were literally just complaining about a lack of Korra game footage? Well, they were nice enough to upload a whole 1 minute and 40 seconds!

Facebook link though, urgh. I wanted to download it and make some graphics for the OT.

And I am now seriously bummed out by the most liked comment being some dumb chick's bitching about how she'd prefer a Kinect game.
This is why we can't have nice things. And when we do, they don't sell and then we don't have sequels to them ><

Lernaean

Banned
And I am now seriously bummed out by the most liked comment being some dumb chick's bitching about how she'd prefer a Kinect game.
This is why we can't have nice things. And when we do, they don't sell and then we don't have sequels to them ><

You know what? I thought too much about it lately and i think that in the end, we'll be fine.
When i was a kid i thought that there are games that could never be surpassed, then when i was a teenager, during the arcade era of the 90's, the CPS2 earlier and the NAOMI later, i thought it can't get better either. When Sega died, i thought gaming was over, and immediately the likes of Clover etc came to the spotlight. Last gen, in the age of either western bland shooters or artsy indies, we had PG.
And ofc it's not just PG or Clover. these are examples in reference to this thread, the PG community thread. There are other developers and publishers that release hardcore, gameplay heavy, fun and innovative games out there.
I think whatever happens, we'll always have someone who makes games for our niche.
As i said, in the end, we'll be fine.

Its fb what can you expect lol.

I hope they do games like this now and then. Would fill the gap between AAAs since HnS games need more production time.

Nemmy

You know what? I thought too much about it lately and i think that in the end, we'll be fine.
When i was a kid i thought that there are games that could never be surpassed, then when i was a teenager, during the arcade era of the 90's, the CPS2 earlier and the NAOMI later, i thought it can't get better either. When Sega died, i thought gaming was over, and immediately the likes of Clover etc came to the spotlight. Last gen, in the age of either western bland shooters or artsy indies, we had PG.
And ofc it's not just PG or Clover. these are examples in reference to this thread, the PG community thread. There are other developers and publishers that release hardcore, gameplay heavy, fun and innovative games out there.
I think whatever happens, we'll always have someone who makes games for our niche.
As i said, in the end, we'll be fine.

I sure as hell agree with this - niche or not, Bayo 2's First Print Edition fucking disappearing from the market immediately proves that there are customers out there willing to pay good money for these kinda games. And where there are customers, there will be someone to offer them such games - and even if they will be indie, low budget titles without PG's sense of scale and over the top style, I'm gonna be OK with that.
I guess I'm just wishing it was not a niche. I wish Bayo 2 had God of War levels of media hype around release, hell I wish I could talk to an average Joe about videogames and hope that he'll at least know the same titles as I do. Not possible, I know, but sometimes I see something that reminds me about it too hard and I get pissed.

Or I play Vanquish for the millionth time and realize there will never be a sequel, because it just didn't sell.

Lernaean

Banned
Or I play Vanquish for the millionth time and realize there will never be a sequel, because it just didn't sell.

I know but don't you see? Whatever happens, we'll always have Vanquish, and no matter what next month we'll have two PG games, and TEW if i may add, seeing you take part in the hype too.
No matter what, with the content of Bayo 2 revealed in the Edge review, we'll be able to play this game for years.

Nemmy

I know but don't you see? Whatever happens, we'll always have Vanquish, and no matter what next month we'll have two PG games, and TEW if i may add, seeing you take part in the hype too.
No matter what, with the content of Bayo 2 revealed in the Edge review, we'll be able to play this game for years.

Yeah I see all that - just can't sometimes stop dreaming about what could have been.
But don't you think for a minute I'm not ridiculously happy for October! :p

Lernaean

Banned
Yeah I see all that - just can't sometimes stop dreaming about what could have been.
But don't you think for a minute I'm not ridiculously happy for October! :p

I know. I wish it was different too.
And i know you are happy for October, don't be silly ;)

abadguy

Banned
*sees that LTTP Wonderful 101 thread* *sighs*
*sees people cheering that Bayonetta 2 underperformed in Japan* *siiiiighs*

So called "gamers" hoping for a game to fail because it's not on their console of choice. Sadly just another day on forums.

Really can't wait for this game!

Though Korra should have screamed "Yatatatatatata" while air wind comboing that mook. Missed opportunity.

Regiruler

Still mind-boggled that a fucking YA property didn't get greenlight for a Wii U port, especially when there's no physical costs to worry about.

I'm really interested in seeing how the final boss fight in TLoK plays out since they've been hyping it from the game's announcement. Normally, I'd be kind of skeptical, but seeing as how this is coming from the devs responsible for Senator Armstrong, I can't help but be excited.

Lernaean

Banned
In the meanwhile, i'm stocking espresso, orange juice and cereal bars to survive October. And i got a week off from work starting Oct 27. The gods will be pleased, yes!

Feindflug

I sure as hell agree with this - niche or not, Bayo 2's First Print Edition fucking disappearing from the market immediately proves that there are customers out there willing to pay good money for these kinda games. And where there are customers, there will be someone to offer them such games - and even if they will be indie, low budget titles without PG's sense of scale and over the top style, I'm gonna be OK with that.
I guess I'm just wishing it was not a niche. I wish Bayo 2 had God of War levels of media hype around release, hell I wish I could talk to an average Joe about videogames and hope that he'll at least know the same titles as I do. Not possible, I know, but sometimes I see something that reminds me about it too hard and I get pissed.

I'm afraid that in a few years games like Bayo, TW101 or even Phantom Dust (which at least we're getting even in downloadable only form) won't get made, as Lernaen said this may sound pessimistic or even unrealistic but seeing where the gaming market goes for the last 4 or so years those kind of games will be harder and harder to get funded/greenlighted. I really wish I'm wrong on this one.

Also about Vanquish 2, on one hand I agree that thank god we have the first game to play (though a PC version would have been nice, do you hear me Sega?) it's hard to not get sad thinking the potential for a Vanquish sequel. Reading here on gaf from JP that Platinum already has some ideas for a sequel makes this even more depressing. :(

So called "gamers" hoping for a game to fail because it's not on their console of choice. Sadly just another day on forums.

It's really sad yeah, but what we can do? some people seem like they are playing consoles and not games.

In the meanwhile, i'm stocking espresso, orange juice and cereal bars to survive October. And i got a week off from work starting Oct 27. The gods will be pleased, yes!

There's Korra, Bayo 2, The Evil Within and I'm also getting a white Xbone Sunset Overdrive bundle & Forza Horizon 2. Things will get bloody for sure, I'm not complaining though. :D

Top Bottom