• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Damn this thread is hyping me up, I want to play them all now. Need to get started w MGR, but I'm playing MGS3. Will I be able to play MGR without needing to know what happens in MGS4 or any other MGS (I've played 2)?

MKP64

These guys keep me excited for games. I just wish they didn't have to make exclusives. Everybody should be able to play their games.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Damn this thread is hyping me up, I want to play them all now. Need to get started w MGR, but I'm playing MGS3. Will I be able to play MGR without needing to know what happens in MGS4 or any other MGS (I've played 2)?

Yeah, MGR is fairly standalone (surprising considering it's MGS).
I'd still play the other MGS games though, that way you can appreciate MGR even more.

Kriken

So I finished Vanquish the other day. Holy shit Platinum, you are amazing, I have not had that much fun with a shooter ever. Really makes me wish there was a Vanquish 2, oh well, guess I have to try it again on God Hard

Ser Goje

So, what do you guys expect from Platinum this E3? Bayo 2 will be there and we'll probably get a release date and there's that X1 exclusive, but that may be for TGS. Do you think there will be more?

Nemmy

So, what do you guys expect from Platinum this E3? Bayo 2 will be there and we'll probably get a release date and there's that X1 exclusive, but that may be for TGS. Do you think there will be more?

I'd explode with hype if they announced MGR 2, I don't really expect it though. Probably just Bayo 2.

Lernaean

Banned

Which ranges from debatable to highly unlikely as it is based on nothing.
I'd faint if a PS4/X1/PC MGR 2 was announced, with a proper budget and not rushed this time.

Edit: 2 Jeanne's in a row, damn!

Ser Goje

Guys, how about a poll about the best game P* has ever made, huh?
We can remember why we loved them in the first place and why Platinum Games is the BEST FUCKING game developer in the world

I'd explode with hype if they announced MGR 2, I don't really expect it though. Probably just Bayo 2.

Believe man, BELIEVE! xD

Akiller

Rising 2 is pretty much confirmed imho, it sold well, Kojima rikes it and I think P* would love to make a sequel.

If they fix all the problems of Rising 1 (due to rushing matters as well) , then we'll have a f*cking masterpiece.

I don't know if someone has alredy said this but DMC 1 should be on this list as it was the predisser to Bayo and I think some of the people from Team Little Devils became Team Little Angels.

Ushiwaka

Which ranges from debatable to highly unlikely as it is based on nothing.

Well its based on 2 leakers mentioning it (although I still think that "You fucking guys, PROJECT NAGANO, MARCH 2016" line seems very fishy) and Spencer saying they have an exclusive title from an awesome studio. So there is a chance we see it E3 or TGS imo.

Guys, how about a poll about the best game P* has ever made, huh?
We can remember why we loved them in the first place and why Platinum Games is the BEST FUCKING game developer in the world

I think its a good idea. We get to know what PlatGAF's favorite Platinum title is. lets see how everyone else thinks. btw, just Platinum titles or Platinum and Clover titles?

I don't know if someone has alredy said this but DMC 1 should be on this list as it was the predisser to Bayo and I think some of the people from Team Little Devils became Team Little Angels.

I wanted to include DMC and RE in the list, but they were not developed by Clover. I mentioned DMC a couple of times tho.

Lernaean

Banned
Well its based on 2 leakers mentioning it (although I still think that "You fucking guys, PROJECT NAGANO, MARCH 2016" line seems very fishy) and Spencer saying they have an exclusive title from an awesome studio. So there is a chance we see it E3 or TGS imo.

Exactly, the 'Project Nagano' statement was not only fishy, but straight out questionable.
Look, there are no leaks, just rumors with no source, and that awesome japanese dev could be anyone anyway, guy is trying to hype the announcement.

That said, even though there is nothing on X1 that remotely interests me, if there is an exclusive P* game coming to it, i'll just buy one along with the game, no moaning.

The rumors sound unlikely to very frightening to me though. The part about Japan exclusive is frightening, i can import ofc but i don't want a japanese only game, and the one about maybe being Kinect requiring is even worse. I can live with buying another console if it is for a P* game, but please don't give me a game without localization that requires Kinect.

That's how i feel at least.

BadWolf

You could but if you are planning on playing the other MGS games then I would play those first.

You will get more out of MGR that way and it sort of continues off from what MGS4 set up.

Ushiwaka

Exactly, the 'Project Nagano' statement was not only fishy, but straight out questionable.
Look, there are no leaks, just rumors with no source, and that awesome japanese dev could be anyone anyway, guy is trying to hype the announcement.

That said, even though there is nothing on X1 that remotely interests me, if there is an exclusive P* game coming to it, i'll just buy one along with the game, no moaning.

The rumors sound unlikely to very frightening to me though. The part about Japan exclusive is frightening, i can import ofc but i don't want a japanese only game, and the one about maybe being Kinect requiring is even worse. I can live with buying another console if it is for a P* game, but please don't give me a game without localization that requires Kinect.

That's how i feel at least.

whoa whoa there was rumors about it being Kinect requiring?! Looks like I missed that one. The Japan-only part frightens me too. This is MS we're talking about here, I don't think they're going to try it with Japan so hard this time. It would make sense if they didn't put much budget into an exclusive game so it would not get localized...

Lernaean

Banned
whoa whoa there was rumors about it being Kinect requiring?! Looks like I missed that one. The Japan-only part frightens me too. This is MS we're talking about here, I don't think they're going to try it with Japan so hard this time. It would make sense if they didn't put much budget into an exclusive game so it would not get localized...

No, no, no, there's... speculation that it's a Kinect game cause it will be 'something we've never seen before', there's also speculation that it's a Kamiya game.

I don't deal with speculation, or posters with rumors. If it's announced, it's announced and i'll have to deal with my budget cause i'm on to it, but before anything is announced, it's as real as that Demon's Souls sequel by Miyazaki, just speculation and wish-listing.

Akiller

Kamiya is basically Kamina.

8btto.jpg

Ser Goje

I think its a good idea. We get to know what PlatGAF's favorite Platinum title is. lets see how everyone else thinks. btw, just Platinum titles or Platinum and Clover titles?

I think all of Clover and Platinum titles should be there.

Guys what do you think?

Nemmy

I'd say that either just Platinum, or everything (Platinum + Clover + Team Little Devils + classic REs I guess?). I still think it's kinda weird to include Clover while ignoring the older part of Platinum's past portfolio, even though I can totally see why you chose to do it that way, but that's just me.

And it's gonna be hard to decide on a vote either way :D

SonicTHP

Neo Member
I think it should be only Platinum's titles. PlatinumGames is making a name for itself on their own terms, and I'd like to see that emphasized.

While many made the transition from Capcom to SEEDS to PG, they are their own team(s) now. And as much as I love their related history as Clover and before, I think we should further recognize their distance from Capcom.

Ushiwaka

I'd say that either just Platinum, or everything (Platinum + Clover + Team Little Devils + classic REs I guess?). I still think it's kinda weird to include Clover while ignoring the older part of Platinum's past portfolio, even though I can totally see why you chose to do it that way, but that's just me.

And it's gonna be hard to decide on a vote either way :D
Hmm... I might add pre-Clover stuff to the first post later. I think the God Hand team made RE4, so if we're going to include the non-Platinum games, maybe we should include RE4 too.

I think all of Clover and Platinum titles should be there.

Guys what do you think?

I think it should be only Platinum's titles. PlatinumGames is making a name for itself on their own terms, and I'd like to see that emphasized.

While many made the transition from Capcom to SEEDS to PG, they are their own team(s) now. And as much as I love their related history as Clover and before, I think we should further recognize their distance from Capcom.
I think SonicTHP makes a good point here. This is the "Platinum" thread after all :D We might put too much pressure on GAF including the non-Platinum games. :D

And in my opinion, we better go with only Platinum's games. Any other ideas/suggestions?

Lernaean

Banned
I say P* games only. If we were to take into account every game these guys have developed then we could add The Evil Within in that list since Mikami did Vanquish.

It's PlatinumGames community thread, i think it's better to keep it limited to games developed under P* only.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone tried Infinite Space on that DS emulator that can upscale games? I wonder how nice it would look.

Hmm, I'm playing it right now on my XL. Can't imagine this game could ever really look good. It's a very interesting game so far, but certainly not eye candy

I think it's a good idea to include Clover-branded games, but nothing else. If you extend the thread to "everything Kamiya, Mikami, and large amounts of Clover personnel worked on" then that's sort of going down a slippery slope. Limiting it to games released under the Clover and Platinum brands provides a clear cutoff point, at least.

Proven

I'd keep it at Platinum Games only, but I also want to wait for Bayonetta 2 to release. Metal Gear Rising, Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2 are all post Bayonetta games and have a lot of influence from it. I want to see if Bayonetta 2 shows the most improvement.

Ushiwaka

We will sure talk about Bayo 2 when its out, but I think we better do the poll now cause we're not getting the game until summer or even fall outside of Japan :(

So, so far "Platinum titles only" has more votes. I think we should go with that. Should I contact a mod for adding the poll? and do you guys think we should add something to the title, too? like [Poll: Best PG game?] you know, to get more attention and informing people that a poll has been added to the thread.

JoeFenix

I think I'm going to boot up The Wonderful 101 this weekend and just play through it again, I literally don't have anything left to do but it's been a couple of months and I'm itching to do some gun stinger combos!

It's always a blast going back to a P* game, immediately fun, everything feels tight and on point, awesome soundtracks... Pretty much everything I look for in a game!

Unbelievably excited for Bayonetta 2 at this point, everything they've shown so far has just looked beyond amazing! Can't wait to find out if Cornrow Kid is the future (or past) version of that Lumen Sage rival or something ridiculous like that hah!

I happened on a pretty cool interview relating to Clover just now, and I thought I'd repost it for people to see. It's really interesting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2268742&postcount=18

- Why did you choose Clover Studio as the name of the new company?

Clover is the combination of two ideas: creative and lover. This has been designed in a very similar way to Viewtiful Joe: view and beautiful. The number four was also very important, as it reminds people inside the studio about their common origins: Production Studio #4. The four leaves of the clover are also an image of happiness or healing. The idea is that creators are able to create games as they want and not under pressure from the market. This healing process benefits players who will be able to enjoy true gaming experiences.

-Is Production Studio #4 still active, or has the entire staff moved to Clover?

In fact, we split the department in two. There were about 120 people at Production Studio #4. We made a 50/50 split, 60 each.
There were a few people who wanted to follow us immediately. Then we asked each staff member if he or she wanted to try the Clover Studio adventure or not. It was just a simple and direct question.

-In many ways, this seems similar to Sega's restructuring a few years ago - forming 'independent' studios based on the in-house departments to shift the financial risk. Is this the same process?

No, it is very different in reality. In Sega's case, they transformed entire departments into companies. It was just the legal nature of the departments that changed; there was nothing different in terms of creativity.
With Clover Studio, the decision was made in terms of creativity. We decided to make something different from what you could expect from Capcom. Of course, you could argue that Capcom has difficulties. It is true but I would like people to understand that our decision is motivated by our creative approach. I mean something very positive.

-Previously, you had many successes inside Capcom, and had the freedom to develop a high-risk project like Tekki. Why create an independent company?

Yes, it is true that the company let me do many things. But I think that Capcom has become a huge brand. With this size and fame, it is not easy to move in terms of creation. At Production Studio #4 we had very special ideas that were not always in phase with what users would expect from a name like Capcom. Sometimes this played in favour of Capcom, but sometimes it was working against the company's image. So, with Clover Studio, we wanted to divide Capcom's brand. Users will not see our game as a traditional Capcom game, but as a 'Clover game' inside Capcom. When our games are too original, they will not hurt Capcom's traditional image and users will think: 'Ah, yes, that is a Clover Studio game'.
We want to bring original content to the game community. If we stayed inside Capcom we could not explore the creative ways we wanted to. This is the very base of our motivation in founding Clover Studio.

-How would you describe the fundamental differences between Capcom and Clover Studio, as developers?

First, I would say that we are working in a very difficult environment. When we were inside Capcom, we could take three years or more to develop a game. We were not that preoccupied by the financial aspects of our project - we could be in deficit, but we knew that the other departments would fill the hole for us, but this is not something we wanted to do. If we were only motivated by originality in the creation of Clover Studio, this would be seen only as a sign of our ego, our selfishness. We want to create, but at the same time be entirely responsible for our own actions.
Of course, inside Capcom, there are many people who want to make very great things, but their approach is different because of the gap in resources and size. So more than this difference in resources, I would say that our fundamental difference is the way we think.

-What difficulties do you foresee developing within Clover Studio, compared to within Capcom?

Well, I think that the 'risk factor' is going to become a big factor in our work. For instance, it is going to be impossible to make games like Tekki! That is for sure. But that does not mean we will be controlled by this risk. We have to think differently and this is one of our objectives right now. We will not be able to enjoy the same comfort now to develop our games. In this difficult environment, we will develop our strength. Our main objective is to prove our potential. So we have to define what can or cannot be done with the resources we have right now. I don't know how many years it will take, but I hope the time will come when our potential will be recognised, giving us more weight with Capcom. But for that, we need to make a succession of successful games. By then we would have been able to increase our staff and aim at bigger projects.

-Developers such as Mikami and Kamiya are associated with very popular, successful licences. Will Clover Studio continue these?

Well, absolutely no. We don't want to do anything with these licences. If we did, we could not possibly do other projects than these licences. I mean, there are about 60 people at Clover Studio, so you would need to use the entire staff and more to develop a new Biohazard. With a project like Viewtiful Joe, it becomes viable. We can have a certain balance in our working process inside the company. Now that does not mean I don't want to develop on some of our past licences, but our main desire is to deliver original content, new experiences.

-How does this affect Biohazard 4?

Well, this is a special case. Shinji Mikami is the director of the game and he will finish it in cooperation with Production Studio #4. We are actually sending some of our staff to work on the game with Mikami at Production Studio #4.

-And if Capcom decides to make a fifth instalment of Biohazard?

This would not be our problem any more. I think Production Studio #4 would be in charge of that.

-What position and priority will Kamiya and Mikami take at Clover?

They are 'simply' directors. They only wish to create games, nothing more. Of course, they add their personal aura to the games they develop and to our company. They will become the company's face in many aspects. I mean, I'm not creating Okami, it is Kamiya's creation. But inside the company, they are 'just' directors.

-As studio head, will you still be involved with creative work?

I will continue to produce games. That's for sure. I will be in charge of many aspects of the company simultaneously: president, finances, producer... but I will keep that way until I feel the company is stable. Plus, don't forget that there aren't that many of us at Clover. I think I will face quite a lot of stress! But I've accepted this. I think this leaves the others at Clover more comfort to do their job.

-Will you be running Clover differently than you would have run an internal Capcom studio?

Not much. I give a lot of freedom to the people working with me. As long as I get the expected result, it does not matter how the people get to it. It has been the case even when we were at Production Studio #4.

-Have you felt the need to respond to criticisms of the original Viewtiful Joe in developing the sequel?

With the first Viewtiful Joe, we started to work on the design and adapted play mechanisms around it. So, sometimes the priority given to the design 'jammed' the game experience. For example, the character had short hands and legs. That made fighting difficult because his punches or kicks would not easily hit adversaries. But this was a choice we made from the start. With Viewtiful Joe 2, we do not intend to correct this. To us, Viewtiful Joe is an accomplishment of one style we wanted to develop at that time. With the sequel, we want to introduce another experience.

-Have you been surprised by the game's positive reception in the west?

Oh, yes! We were so surprised! The game has even appeared and been awarded in USA Today. It got many awards, including an Edge Award! Thank you very much! When we went to E3, we saw that it was well accepted by gamers but we never thought it would be praised so much!

-Is Viewtiful Joe 2's multiplatform development a concession to the American market?

The market is as it is. I mean, PS2 is the main platform and releasing the game only on GC would be difficult in terms of business, especially in the US. We can't control hardware success. We can only choose the target of the game. Plus, we really want as many players as possible to enjoy our games to come. But that does not mean we will only develop for the largest platform on the market. Nintendo has been able to develop its console this far with games as its only strength. That cannot be dismissed.

-Okami has a strong Japanese theme. Is it intended chiefly for the Japanese market, or do you see it being a success overseas as well?

Basically, we want to make games for all the markets around the world. I think we've integrated a lot of Japanese soul into this game, but I don't see it as a barrier. I believe it will be understood overseas as well. It is obvious when you see how Miyazaki's Sen To Chihiro (Spirited Away) has been successful outside Japan and especially in the western world. I don't think we can speak of cultural barriers now as we used to do in the past. I don't feel the oriental touch as a wall to the success in the west, not any more. If the experience is great, it should be successful.

-Okami, like Viewtiful Joe, uses a cel-shaded visual style: will this be a characteristic of Clover Studio games?

Not at all. If you consider Biohazard 4, it has reached such a level of visual realism that we thought we could not make anything fun from this. We needed something very different. With Viewtiful Joe, we tested this approach. Using cel shading we managed to deliver an interesting game experience.
With Okami, we tested another form of cel shading, not because it has been successfully used in Viewtiful Joe, but to answer the project's needs. In Okami's case we wanted to offer a very special visual touch using Japanese traditional art. But cel shading is not our trademark.

-Okami seems highly original but equally high risk. How do you intend to manage the balance between originality and commercial success?

I think it is the same problem faced by Viewtiful Joe. We proved it can be done, and successfully. The risk has to be controlled by us. Having said that, I know that some of our games in the future may sell only 1,000 copies. If we develop several games like Tekki, it would be very difficult for the company to survive. That demonstrates the difficulty of establishing this balance between originality and business. This is what we wanted to learn. This is where we want to get stronger, as I explained before.
Being original is not enough. The game is original and may not be understood in its first version. So we need to think how to correct or develop that - in a sequel, for instance. We need to have the game enjoyed by as many users as possible, and this will result in better sales.

-Do you have any plans for Clover beyond Okami at this stage?

Well, it is the time when we are speaking a lot about what to do next, which way to go, etc... Of course, we can't say anything for the moment. What I can say is we are very interested by new hardware to come. I mean, this is no surprise.
But we really would like to try these new machines, even once, to experience it, to learn, to test things. I'm talking about both home and portable consoles. We don't necessarily exclude one console. We are interested by all of them.

-Many believe the next generation of consoles will require hundreds of developers to produce a single title. How do you plan to develop for these new consoles with a 60-person studio?

Of course there are things you can't do, but there are also things you can. We don't feel the desire to make games that need a large staff. With such games, costs are increasing as well as their scale. I don't think that the gaming experience gets anything from that. I really believe it is time to shift inside our head. We can make great games with a smaller staff. Okami does not require a huge staff, not at all. But I know that we will need to increase our staff with time. If needed, outsourcing will be an option for us.

Ushiwaka

EDIT: It's here! Thanks, mods :)

I happened on a pretty cool interview relating to Clover just now, and I thought I'd repost it for people to see. It's really interesting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2268742&postcount=18

Nice find! Kinda makes me sad reading about their "future" plans :( But seeing what Capcom has become in the recent years and what freedom Clover/Platinum gained later as an independent developer, maybe Clover to Platinum transformation was for the best.

popyea

Nice find! Kinda makes me sad reading about their "future" plans :( But seeing what Capcom has become in the recent years and what freedom Clover/Platinum gained later as an independent developer, maybe Clover to Platinum transformation was for the best.

All you have to do is look at their output and know that it was. And I get the feeling that it was a conservative action, rather than a risk they made. Like forming Platinum was their way of continuing to make games like they would have at Clover.

Ushiwaka

All you have to do is look at their output and know that it was. And I get the feeling that it was a conservative action, rather than a risk they made. Like forming Platinum was their way of continuing to make games like they would have at Clover.

Yes of course. As I said they gained more freedom. Something they would never had if they stayed with Capcom (the crappy 7th gen Capcom). It was for the best. Maybe the only thing that makes me sad is that they no longer have power on the Clover games... :(

===

Since the poll is here, Lets decide what GAF's favorite Platinum game is! :D Mine's Bayonetta. For obvious reasons :p My game of the generation last gen, a perfect game.

Hypron

I voted for MGR:R. Objectively it's not the best but of the ones I've played it's the one with the fewer annoying parts and the one I replayed the most. It's also got the most consistently good bosses. My second choice would be Vanquish (best TPS of last gen, although I wish it had more content). After that, Bayonetta and TW101 in no particular order.

All those games are awesome though.

Zomba13

It sucks that the only Clover game I've not played is God Hand and the only Platinum game I've not played is Infinite Space. Own all the other though and love them all (except Mad World, never clicked with me. Love AR though, fantastic soundtrack and Bayo is mad OP).

Platinum are by far my favourite devs with the most consistently great set of titles. Even Nintendo releases some duds and games that are just not for me and Capcom went from amazing to lol tier in a generation.

Enjay

Banned
The only thing I hate about their games is that they all seem to have seemingly easily fixable, yet highly crucial flaws that sully their whole experience.

Lernaean

Banned
Seems i can't vote, is it because i'm junior member or is it something else?

Anyway, i'd go for MGR:R. I have no idea why, maybe because i really am a MGS fan, maybe because of the awesome boss fights, the parry mechanic that worked amazingly, the excellent art direction and character and mechanical design, i really don't know.

It doesn't have the best combat system, i would give that to W101 or Bayonetta, it doesn't have the cool factor of Vanquish, it isn't even choke full of content. It doesn't have the amazing wall run mechanic we saw early and it feels rushed through and through, and we know it is, but there's something in this game that given the right amount of time and budget, it could be one of the best games of all time and P*'s best.

Imo Saito needs a raise, and P* with Koji Pro must make a sequel that's 10 times better, they can do it and the game deserves it.

Fevaweva

I would obviously go for Bayonetta. But thats only because I haven't been able to play much Anarchy Reigns. That game looked so awesome when I bought it. I have played a few games, once with the Giant Bomb crew, and found it crazy hectic fun.

NIN90

Examples please?

These are probably not "easily fixable" but here goes:

W101: Seemingly every third stage is a gimmick stage, each of them pretty long and easy to fuck up a PP-run on. My main reason why I didn't go back to it after my first playthrough.

Vanquish: No rankings (other than leaderboards) after sections. I mean, it's such a small yet integral part to most of Kamiya's and Mikami's action games but it was omitted for no obvious reason here. Also, no unlockables such as costumes or special weapons except the challenge modes. Kind of a kick in the nuts coming from Bayonetta.

Bayonetta
: Almost perfect IMO but the QTEs could have been handled better. I personally didn't mind the gimmick stages. Probably because there are only two and they are rather easy to PP.

Finalow

Infinite Space?

Platinum did pretty much nothing in the development of Infinite Space, afaik they threw some money and that's it. it's a Nude Maker game.
also
The game was even compared with Mass Effect series in terms of being a good space opera.
Lol, Mass Effect is complete and utter garbage compared to this little great jrpg.

regarding the poll, I go for MGR.

Mognet

vanquish is my favourite, it doesn't have that much content besides collectibles/challenges but god damn is it fun to sanic around and shoot/beat the shit out of robots (plus i've made a vow to myself to 100% every platinumgames game so i'm very proud of completing those challenges).

the only platinumgames games i haven't played are infinite space and the wonderful101 but i'm getting a wii u in the next week or two, so i'm looking forward to give that a whirl and bayonetta 2 whenever it's released.

honestly, i'm not that interested in infinite space and haven't looked much up on the game.

Vanquish: No rankings (other than leaderboards) after sections. I mean, it's such a small yet integral part to most of Kamiya's and Mikami's action games but it was omitted for no obvious reason here.

I think Vanquish is pretty much in line with RE4 and God Hand in that regard. I don't think any of Mikami's games have comprehensive scoring systems like Kamiya's usually do.

Kriken

Tough choice between MGR and W101, still need to play Bayonetta, but ultimately I think MGR is a better game than W101, but not by much as thy're both great games.

Top Bottom