• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.
It sucks that the only Clover game I've not played is God Hand and the only Platinum game I've not played is Infinite Space.
If you have a PS3 you can pick up God Hand digitally. It's worth trying out since there is no other game quite like it.

Anyways, for the poll I voted Bayonetta without even a second thought. It's easily their best game and Vanquish is the only one that really comes close for me. Wonderful 101 is really good but I'm not really crazy about the gimmick stages or indoor segments.

Metal Gear Rising is okay but the camera is really dreadful and it makes parts of the game very frustrating. The combat system is really limited too (at least in comparison to Bayo and W101) and I think the enemy design is kind of boring as a whole (the boss fights were great though). I would love to see a sequel where they are given more time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
My favorite platinum game is honestly Vanquish but I think Bayo is their best game by miles.

I still remember when I first saw the trailers for Vanquish, I didn't think any game that was essentially a third person shooter on insane levels of adrenaline could blow my mind the way Vanquish did.

Mesoian

My favorite game from Platinum is the Wonderful 101. It's just superlative, but it does have a few issues here and there, many of which seem like simple oversights than poor direction or coding. In the end, Bayonetta is still the best game they've ever put out.

NIN90

I think Vanquish is pretty much in line with RE4 and God Hand in that regard. I don't think any of Mikami's games have comprehensive scoring systems like Kamiya's usually do.

Yeah I guess so. At least God Hand rewarded you with more currency on Level Die, I think.

See you on Tman's chat tonight? :d

I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread until now! Subscribing the hell out of this. I've been an insane Kamiya fan for over a decade, and every single game he's directed is a favorite of mine.

I had a hard time choosing between Bayonetta and W101 for the poll, but in the end I've played W101 more and it's a game that needs to be experienced by everyone.

Sakujou

Banned
i think most people never played any of these games.

i cant decide but madworld and infinite space were sooooo good.

havent spent enough time in 101 to judge, but it feels also sooo good.

Bayonetta, Bayonetta, Bayonetta, Bayonetta.

I like almost every game on that list ( I have not played infinite space)

But Bayonetta is special.

Jawmuncher

As of this writing MGR and Vanquish are tied.
Dunno where all the W101 love is from I thought no one played that game.
I know people played it and it's great

Sephzilla

I voted for MGR. I like Bayoneta, but something about it didn't fully click with me in the same way DMC games did or MGR did.

Nemmy

I'd vote for Bayonetta if I could, as it's the only P* game that I consider flawless (almost).

Have yet to play W101, though.

Finalow

vanquish is my favourite, it doesn't have that much content besides collectibles/challenges but god damn is it fun to sanic around and shoot/beat the shit out of robots (plus i've made a vow to myself to 100% every platinumgames game so i'm very proud of completing those challenges).

the only Nude Maker games i haven't played are infinite space - fix

honestly, i'm not that interested in infinite space and haven't looked much up on the game.
assuming you like jrpgs (grandia's avatar) you should absolutely play infinite space. it's great.
one of the best if not the best jrpg on NDS.

Lernaean

Banned
I love how W101 is second place in that poll and only after Bayo. Salute to all the reviewers and haters from launch week, hope you are embarrassed now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Voted for Vanquish. The combat is so beautifully insane, but the controls are precise, allowing you to navigate the chaos with grace. It's straight to the point and just a joy to play. Love it.

Endo Punk

I'm probably the worst Platinum fan. Played Anarchy, Bayo and Vanquish and although I appreciate what these games achieve I simply didn't enjoy them for one reason or the other, mainly for the gameplay. I mean Anarchy got dull too fast but loved the character designs and art style, Bayo was just too busy looking but I like its creativity, and I just didn't connect with the gameplay in Vanquish despite having a man crush on the main character.

MGR is the only game from Platinum that I thoroughly enjoyed. Its my fastest platinum because I couldn't put the game down for a month. There's a lot it can improve on and I mean a lot but the gameplay is fresh, inventive and really damn fun especially when it comes to the bosses.

ArjanN

I would but all it would do is just get a bunch of "So too hard for you means heavily flawed. Gotcha" responses and derail the thread.

Weak, why put something like that out there if you can't back it up with arguments?

I can think of flaws, perhaps even crucial ones, but those wouldn't be easily fixable.

TEJ

I want to love TW101

The combat sections are sublime

but

outside of combat it is at best okay at worst terrible.

JayEH

I've only played Vanquish so far and really liked it. We need more Japanese shooters.

I'm going to be playing MGR soon so maybe I'll that will change my choice.

MercuryLS

Banned
Their best game is Viewtiful Joe. I wish it was a Platinum game and not a Capcom game cause we'll never get a next-gen sequel we deserve. Brilliant developers that know how to make incredibly fun games.

Ushiwaka

Bayonetta is the best.

And here I thought you voted for Anarchy Reigns :p

Was just reminded of this tweet from 2010.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/24869151359

And it WAS Wonderful.

7xGqJ9G.gif

Was just reminded of this tweet from 2010.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/24869151359
This is amazing

Their best game is Viewtiful Joe. I wish it was a Platinum game and not a Capcom game cause we'll never get a next-gen sequel we deserve. Brilliant developers that know how to make incredibly fun games.

VJ really is amazing. I would love to see an HD port of 1 and 2 or at least a PSN release of the PS2 games. Kinda weird that you can get God Hand and Okami HD on PSN but not that.

Seik

Banned
I voted for W101.

Would've been Rising otherwise, but then W101 came out and shattered every walls of my expectations to pieces as the operations went on. :')

Ushiwaka

Bayonetta has more than 44% of the votes. GAF you never disappoint me :)
Kinda suprised seeing MGR and TW101 votes are more than Vanquish's. Always thought GAF's second favorite Platinum title is Vanquish :D

I have played Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, The Wonderful 101, and Vanquish... and I'm having a hard time choosing my favorite, these games are just TOO good.

monome

goddamn.

Tho I 100% think W101 is the most accomplished PG game, choosing it over Bayo felt wrong...

So much Bayo love...but W101 is better at everything except the initial pitch.

Anteater

I like bayonetta the most overall because it offers the entire package I liked, Rising's combat just isn't my cup of tea even though I did beat it twice but stopped towards the end on revengeance mode, I just dislike the whole finisher thing, also I just don't feel engaged to the game at all through out the few playthroughs, and there are a lot of minor things I don't like compared to the other games.

Vanquish would've been the top of the list if they offered a bit more and having a more balanced god hard mode, but Vanquish is the most memorable interms boss fights/encounters because of how intense those fights can get, it's the equivalent to god hand.

God Hand is still my favorite game if we count Clover though.

God Hand > Bayonetta > Vanquish > Metal Gear Rising

Haven't gotten the chance to play W101, not sure when I will eventually buy a wii u due to nintendo's lack of support in my region and I don't want to import.

Nemmy

Only 15% for MGR?

PlatGAF has really let me down.

MGR is still slightly above Vanquish (winning by 1 vote as of now), which I find surprising, as the latter is much more polished and complete. MGR is pure hype, but flawed to all hell and crippled by a bunch of poor design decisions - I love it DESPITE those, but can't help seeing the wasted potential. It's on par with Anarchy Reigns in my book.

Ushiwaka

Only 15% for MGR?

PlatGAF has really let me down.

Oh come on! :p It got more votes than Vanquish :D
I LOVE MGR and enjoyed it to death, but I think (just like Nemmy said) Vanquish is more polished and complete. Hopefully we get to know what a fully polished MGR feels like in MGR2. I'm sure given enough time, Saito and his team can blow our minds even more with MGR2.

I want to love TW101

The combat sections are sublime

but

outside of combat it is at best okay at worst terrible.

Good thing the game is 100% combat, then, right?
(I get what you mean, but really, most of the "secondary" sections are deeper than they seem at first... much like the main game, ironically).

goddamn.

Tho I 100% think W101 is the most accomplished PG game, choosing it over Bayo felt wrong...

So much Bayo love...but W101 is better at everything except the initial pitch.

While I would not necessarily say it's better at everything (Bayonetta's combat is more complex, with tons of weapon combinations, combos, wicked weaves, etc.), I have to agree it feels like a more polished and complete package (and considering how good Bayo was, that's saying a lot!). Better enemies both regular and bosses (I didn't like Bayonetta's abstract designs for bosses), better characters and story (not too hard as Bayonetta's story is by far its weakest point), much more entertaining dialogue (having a whole cast of heroes as your "main hero" is a great asset there), more varied mechanics, less filler (virtually zero traversal that's not an action sequence), etc.

MGR is still slightly above Vanquish (winning by 1 vote as of now), which I find surprising, as the latter is much more polished and complete. MGR is pure hype, but flawed to all hell and crippled by a bunch of poor design decisions - I love it DESPITE those, but can't help seeing the wasted potential. It's on par with Anarchy Reigns in my book.

Well, I had zero hype for MGR and I still enjoyed it quite a lot. Sure, it's not as complete or deep as, say, Bayonetta or W101, but for what it is, I found it really fun. It also has bitching boss fights and music.

The fact that it's lauded above Vanquish probably has to do with the fact that P* games tend to attract gamers that like brawling more than shooting (like myself), and conversely so does this thread. Many of Vanquish' hardcore fans are TPSs fans to begin with, which might place them slightly outside P* games' (or this thread's) audience.
(it's still funny that their only attempt at TPS beats all other TPSs out of the water, but that's P* for you :D).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Bayonetta was the first burst of pure joy and fun I've had with video games all of last Generation so I of course voted for that. Much love for MGR and Wonderful 101 though. o:

Bayonetta has the best combat system. But Vanquish is simply flawless. There's no point in that game where it stops being fun. It really nailed its core focus without being distracted by bonus missions and alternative gameplay types, which seems to be a core of Mikami games. Mikami has a really strong focus to his titles where they're almost entirely built around the major gameplay system. Kamiya is more likely to have a lot of divergent stuff like his oh so frequent Space Harrier homages. Which are nice initially, but I tired of them on repeat playthroughs.

Top Bottom