• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play reviews Lair

Status
Not open for further replies.

g23

European pre-madonna
Does anyone else here think that Lair is the best next-gen game so far in terms of art direction? and no i'm not joking. Their creature designs are really amazing

e3-2007-lair-screens-20070711045939196.jpg

lair-20070516063642396.jpg

lair-20070403022957280.jpg

Durante

I like Play. Compared to all the negativity and mudslinging in forum threads it's refreshing from time to time to read something that's, if anything, too positive.

Though they really do like to utterly overrate games. I'd have given OS a 10 as well... after 7 or 8 hours. After twice that and later... not even close.

Durante said:
I like Play. Compared to all the negativity and mudslinging in forum threads it's refreshing from time to time to read something that's, if anything, too positive.

Though they really do like to utterly overrate games. I'd have given OS a 10 as well... after 7 or 8 hours. After twice that and later... not even close.

Well, they obviously aren't taking the "critical journalism" approach, which is refreshing considering that this is, after all, entertainment. But sometimes their excitement tends to make them completely ignore flaws that readers would likely want to know about.

Speevy

Banned
g23 said:
Does anyone else here think that Lair is the best next-gen game so far in terms of art direction?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol

:lol

mollipen

Error said:
LAME

I was hoping for a cool P3 cover. kinda like the Odin Sphere Play cover... oh well.

Here... made this just for you.

(And for the sake of the lord, people... THIS IS JUST A JOKE. Not at all real, before anybody gets the wrong idea.)

Play-persona-cover.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Segata Sanshiro said:
It just doesn't really mean a whole ton in either direction.

actually it's a pretty strong indication that the parts of the game we haven't seen feature lots of platforming, mascot characters, and/or animu girls with big tits

g23 said:
Does anyone else here think that Lair is the best next-gen game so far in terms of art direction? and no i'm not joking. Their creature designs are really amazing

The dragons might be "inventive," but they're still DRAGONS. AKA the most used fantasy creature of all time. So, basically, Lair has dragons with armor. Not exactly the pinnacle of artistic design. If they really wanted to be amazing, they could have invented a new creature altogether. However, the graphics are amazing. Now I'm jealous.

g23

European pre-madonna
Speevy said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol

? i'm not even joking. Yeah they could have easily turned lair into something like this:

overlord-20070522022401024.jpg

but they made an amazing looking game with outrageous creatures. It really feels like a world you would be afraid to be in instead of some wacky generic fantasy setting.

g23 said:
? i'm not even joking. Yeah they could have easily turned lair into something like this:

but they made an amazing looking game with outrageous creatures. It really feels like a world you would be afraid to be in instead of some wacky generic fantasy setting.

Wait...Lair isn't a generic fantasy setting? I see castles, armies, dragons that breathe fire, guys with armor and swords riding dragons...am I missing something here?

shidoshi said:

(And for the sake of the lord, people... THIS IS JUST A JOKE. Not at all real, before anybody gets the wrong idea.)

http://storage.gomorning.com/Play-persona-cover.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

oh my god i want that lifesize poster soooo bad

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, it's not like it's a bad thing. It just doesn't really mean a whole ton in either direction. At least we know it's not totally ****ing terrible now?

Well, given that Sonic 360 got such a glowing review, we can't even say that. I wanted to believe them on that review, as I would have loved to play another good Sonic game. Then I played the demo...

And thanks to Shidoshi for correcting the scale: Play's scale clearly is 6-10. :lol

I like the mag for other reasons, but if I was ever going to rely on a single source for a purchase decision, Play would definitely NOT be it.

Death_Born said:
Wait...Lair isn't a generic fantasy setting? I see castles, armies, dragons that breathe fire, guys with armor and swords riding dragons...am I missing something here?

I haven't seen many games that look like Lair. They may share settings and objects, but it's fairly unique in a design sense.

drohne

lair's creature design is really strong. i remember hearing that they're working with stop-motion effects talent from the film industry. and it shows. it's kind of amazing that gafers have seized on 'bad art' as the standard knock against this game. it's completely off in the first place, and you'd think xbots would be wary of a slur that's been unfairly applied to so many xbox games.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I haven't seen many games that look like Lair. They may share settings and objects, but it's fairly unique in a design sense.

Actually I think the giant enemies are probably one of the most unique things, you don't see many games like that *coughColossuscough*
Anyway, there's too little information to decide whether it's unique.

drohne said:
lair's creature design is really strong. i remember hearing that they're working with some stop-motion effects guy. and it shows. it's kind of amazing that gafers have seized on 'bad art' as the standard knock against this game. it's completely inaccurate, and you'd think xbots would be wary of a slur that's been unfairly applied to so many xbox games.

The designs are awesome, but as I said above I find the overall image to be poorly balanced. It's as if there are several very strong art departments working on different sets and objects, but without a strong artistic direction to tie it all together and make it a uniformly attractive game.

mollipen

Death_Born said:
That actually looks like a real magazine cover...
Dreamcast 2 confirmed!!

I have this obsession with making fake magazine covers. I've got a ton of them I've done just for fun. Very weird hobby, I know.

"lair's creature design is really strong. i remember hearing that they're working with stop-motion effects talent from the film industry. and it shows."

Dies Iræ

AltogetherAndrews said:
As opposed to what, industrial design?

I'm not sure what to do with this reply. There's no design quality to the game - it's all very generic in my eyes: cookie cutter dragons flying around some LOTR backdrop. Design? More like fancy pants shaders than anything original. The game looks very "gray" to me. It's the next generation plague.

shidoshi said:
I have this obsession with making fake magazine covers. I've got a ton of them I've done just for fun.

You know what would be cool? A thread where everyone photoshops their dream magazine cover and posts it.

mollipen

Death_Born said:
You know what would be cool? A thread where everyone photoshops their dream magazine cover and posts it.

I would actually love to see something like that. Hmm... maybe I should start one.

Speevy

Banned
The biggest artistic criticism against Lair seems to be the following

e3-2007-lair-screens-20070711045939196.jpg

How many polygons do you reckon exist in this dragon?

How many effects are going off in the background?

If I flew lower, would I see that glistening, gigantic salt water simulation?

Are there hundreds of soldiers in the distance, readying their swords for me?

This stuff is UNPRECEDENTED in one seamless game.

And it's still ugly.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Ugly.

Avalon

shidoshi said:

*Pic*

Awesome. :lol

drohne

that's some penetrating 'artistic criticism'

how exactly do you manage to post with the new yorker, the atlantic monthly, and the new republic banging down your door

Wollan

You need to have it running in front of you. That screen there misrepresent the game totally.
Out of all the Lost Odysseys and Heavenly Swords this was the game that impressed me the most at last TGS.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
g23 said:
Why do the particular screenshots you chose look like garbage then?

I don't understand what they did with Lair visually. Some shots and views of it look INCREDIBLE, and others look like absolute garbage. I don't get it.

And since when in the hell did LOTR design values become a bad thing? Seriously, there is plenty of valid criticism to be leveled against this game, but bitching about it resembling something that is generally referred to as quite awesome in terms of design, that doesn't make a ton of sense.

MetatronM said:
I don't understand what they did with Lair visually. Some shots and views of it look INCREDIBLE, and others look like absolute garbage. I don't get it.

Great artistic talent, poor artistic direction. Either that, or Factor 5 is still toying with the overall visual presentation of the game.

g23

European pre-madonna
AltogetherAndrews said:

Exactly, i mean c'mon how many games have something as badass as the creatues in LAIR

If LAIR was a book instead of a game, and Peter Jackson got the film rights, this is how it would look like:

9990011vb0.jpg

Speevy

Banned
drohne said:
how exactly do you manage to post with the new yorker, the atlantic monthly, and the new republic banging down your door

That wasn't called for.

No one has attacked Lair with any degree of thoughtful insight into its artistic merit, because very few on this forum have any.

I simply said that for all its technical mastery, the game remains visually unappealing.

on one hand, casey loe is usually a credible reviewer with a healthy sense of skepticism. on the other hand, he's writing for halverson's geekwank rag. if the hysterically massive delta between heather campbell's play review of twilight princess and her startbutton.com review of the same game is any indicator, my money suggests that halverson won't pay up if the games he's tagged for greatness aren't properly treated and observed. i'd read that 9.0 as a 6.5/7.0 and suspect a more, er, halversonian origin of that horrible line about "gliding over a starlit ocean to opera".

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
The art direction is great for a fantasy dragon game ;)
creatures look all sorts of awesome.

Anyway HD trailer is amazing. Has the best water effects in a game IMO.

GET IN MY BRAVIA!

mollipen

Drinky Crow said:
my money suggests that halverson won't pay up if the games he's tagged for greatness aren't properly treated and observed.

Well, I'd say that you're wrong, and I think I might have a bit more knowledge on this topic.

Also, we have Heather Graham working for us?! Why the f**k did nobody tell me this?? I'd have been begging her for sex daily if I knew that I knew her e-mail address already.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lair is a strange looking game, but I agree that it really could have ended looking like that new Conan, or something cartony like WoW, or something even worse, if they didn't went with this kind of realism. A lot of it looks like LOTR, obviously, but there's not too many games that achieved that kind of gloomy realism, at least none that I can think of.

MetatronM said:
Why do the particular screenshots you chose look like garbage then?
I don't understand how under any circumstances that third shot he posted can be considered garbage, or in fact, anything other than impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom