• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play reviews Lair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

AltogetherAndrews said:
And in that regard you're correct; it's certainly not soft fantasy. But I think it's horribly unbalanced, and cluttered.

Did you look at the newest pics in the other thread?

:lol @ all of the people working to troll this thread.

It is like a silent alert goes out every time a positive review or news hits, like some kind of pavlovian jackassery.

FormulaOne said:
Given your console pedigree and recent post in which you defend Viva Pinata by calling it a "Nature Management System" I would have to question your real motives.

hey, i've seen people say that you work for sony. is that true?

Raistlin

Speevy said:
I simply said that for all its technical mastery, the game remains visually unappealing.

While I'm not going to argue that it's some sort of artistic revelation ... I'm not sure how people can seriously consider it to be totally unappealing ... or worse, some sort of artistic abomination.

:/

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

35.jpg

999_0008.jpg

Raistlin

Drinky Crow said:
the art direction is ridiculously noisy for a game that focuses on battles of scale, where many of your enemies are often mere pixels in the distance. really, if any game should have favored anti-aliasing over glossy shader effects, this game is it.

IIRC, it does have AA.

I agree with Speevy (and others) that the visual presentation of the game so far has been a cluttered, scattershot mess. Some may say a glorious mess, but it definitely feels fractured and psychotic, a bunch of objects thrown in the sky with no regard for pattern or composition.

That said, there are several defenses and responses that could allow one to retain hope, if one were inclined:

1. If the animation really is distinct and iconic, it would be easier to follow the action (maybe Tippett will help after all?).
2. If these chaotic scrums only happen occasionally, and there are enough stretches of solo flight and exploration, then visual exhaustion won't set in.
3. Arcadey dogfighters have always gotten really busy onscreen--even the polished-slick-as-glass Ace Combat series can get overwhelming when the chips are down.

Still, though I don't think the art design is without merit, it's not particularly impressive either. This game would be far better served trying to look gritty through the application of full-screen filters rather than by coloring all the textures with dirt and grunge and leaving everything sharp.

Oblivion said:
I'm not familiar with actionbutton.com, are they purposely being 'tough' on purpose? Twilight Princess might not be 10/10, but 1/4? wtf?
Tim Rogers and a cavalcade of circle jerkers posting meta-reviews mostly to take the piss and I guess vent their frustrations in ways not usually permissable. Not exactly game reviews per se, think message board rants run through a couple of creative writing courses. Somewhat more entertaining to read than normal game reviews though.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Jeez at those pics, I'm probably just going to get this game down the line just for the pure showcase eye candy of it's 1080p visuals on my tv.
Really? I was gonna call him out for stealth trolling because of the last half of those pics.

Tideas

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Christ almighty. Did I just wake up in the year 2505 or something?

Since you seem to have not bothered parsing what people have posted in this thread, allow me to make a quick summary:

1) Play Magazine gives Lair a 9/10

2) Some people say that Play Magazine's reviews are dubious, seeing as how they gave Sonic 360 a 9.5/10, or the much-maligned Rebel Strike an A-, just as examples. Play is known for their enthusiasm; this is a tremendous asset to their magazine, but it does have the side effect of making their review section an essential whitewash of fanman exuberance.

3) Some disagreement about Lair's artistic merits

4) Drinky Crow

Inasmuch as discussion of the review is concerned, all people are saying is that Play loving it has little bearing on the game as Play LOVES EVERYTHING.

If anything is being attacked here, it's not Lair...it's Play Magazine's reviews.

That was my attempt. Let's see if I'm screaming in the desert or not. Since it's you, Tideas, I'm not predicting heavy showers.

Rainforest maybe?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I personally just love the scale/epic feel of it even though I somewhat agree that the art direction is up and down.

But to claim that for that reason it can't possibly score a 9.0 is pretty ridiculous and there's definitely a lot of trolling going on.

I hope it's good, and I am glad the first review was this positive.

Raistlin

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Jeez at those pics, I'm probably just going to get this game down the line just for the pure showcase eye candy of it's 1080p visuals on my tv.

Yep ... here's a direct-feed.

999_0008.jpg

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing this on my bigscreen :)

Thunderbear said:
I personally just love the scale/epic feel of it even though I somewhat agree that the art direction is up and down.

But to claim that for that reason it can't possibly score a 9.0 is pretty ridiculous and there's definitely a lot of trolling going on.

I hope it's good, and I am glad the first review was this positive.

Nobody is claiming that. Stop putting up straw Romans to martyr yourselves on.

Do you even read Play Magazine? Do you truly want to contend that Lair is no better than Rebel Strike and a half-point worse than Sonic 360? Are you okay with Sonic Heroes being a 10/10? HEY GUYS LAIR IS PRETTY AWESOME BUT HERMIE HOPPERHEAD MAKES IT LOOK LIKE A PILE OF PUKE

somesang

More and more I see footage of Lair, the more excited I get. At first I thought, great another contrived, original PS3 game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I mean, that's CG I think, and it's a hella good (lol) model, but I just thought it was funny that it was so obviously him.

Not like, "OHHHH I CANT PLAY THIS GAME NOW CAUSE EVERYTIME I PLAY I SEE JULIAN," but it is surprising to me that the modelers didn't realize how similar everything looked to their boss.

I'd love to do that. And then have the dragon like bite my boss's head off. Stupid bitch, no I won't clean the damn counter.

Thing about this game i dont think it will be too much different then rogue squardon but I just love the scope of it and so what if the screens leading up to the game have been sketchy screw you speevy and your attempts at trolling.

I am getting this game and it will be awesome and no xtroll or ntard will derail my hypeness for this game this is the first ps3 game i have wanted since viruta fighter 5.

Station42

I don't know...in the next few months will come out in stores so many games to buy, that Lair has been put aside...I don't really care about votes or reviews, from Jade Empire on IGN to Sonic 360, I learned that I don't give a ****, I'll try first what I want to play and what's most important, I decide wether it's good or not for me.
In my opinion, Lair looks grate, and has been put in a pretty awesome environment, it also appear to have some solid storyline, but it still feels to me like the gameplay is nothing more than RogueSquadron with dragons, it just doesn't feel right to me...is this really going to be fun, or just another repetitive gamplay with stunning graphics? ground combat looks interesting, but shooting firebals, blowing up ships like my dragon has a cannon in his mouth...i really like it somehow, but it really disappoint me at the same time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't read anything about the game since losing interest when I played the 2006 TGS build and being unable to get over its awful controls. Did they ever add analog control to the game? Did they at least make the motion sensitive controls somewhat playable?

arias

Banned
Zefah said:
I haven't read anything about the game since losing interest when I played the 2006 TGS build and being unable to get over its awful controls. Did they ever add analog control to the game? Did they at least make the motion sensitive controls somewhat playable?

Ground combat is now analog controller based.

Ravidrath

Really? Posting Play scores? Is that what we're resorting to now?

I've yet to talk to anyone else in the press that actively likes this game. Brady @ Play, for one, really dislikes it and he's the biggest Sony fan I know personally.

In general, the complaints I hear are about the Sixaxis controls and their lack of precision, which some say make it unplayable. Many also complain about the inconsistency of the game's graphics - sometimes they look great, other times not so much.

I'd love for this game to be good, but I really don't see it happening.

FormulaOne said:
Given your console pedigree and recent post in which you defend Viva Pinata by calling it a "Nature Management System" I would have to question your real motives.
i wouldn't pay much attention to speevy. i mean, that dude used to defend sudeki's awful art.

dai said:
i wouldn't pay much attention to speevy. i mean, that dude used to defend sudeki's awful art.
Although he didn't speak a mistruth about Viva Pinata in that post he's referring to. I'm surprised anyone that played VP would try to say it's not a nature management game.

Duke Togo

Segata Sanshiro said:

Do you even read Play Magazine? Do you truly want to contend that Lair is no better than Rebel Strike and a half-point worse than Sonic 360? Are you okay with Sonic Heroes being a 10/10? HEY GUYS LAIR IS PRETTY AWESOME BUT HERMIE HOPPERHEAD MAKES IT LOOK LIKE A PILE OF PUKE
I like you Segata, you an island in this sea of madness.

Speevy

Banned
dai said:

You're thinking of someone else. I've never even played Sudeki outside a demo disc.

Ganondorfo

Every E3 2007 title is a 8.0-10.0 game, and that's the real truth. No game that was shown on e3 will be bad.

Lair is just the first game that is to be released of all these great upcoming games that were shown on E3.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
bumpkin said:
Play loves everything. Have they given a low score to any major release?

6/10 TimeSplitters 2
5/10 Scarface: The World is Yours (PS2/XBOX)
6/10 Aggressive Inline
6.5/10 Kirby Canvas Curse
5.5/10 Elebits
7.5/10 GTA: San Andreas
6/10 Lego Star Wars
6/10 Luigi's Mansion
6/10 Tekken 4
6.5/10 Hitman: Blood Money
6/10 Marvel vs Capcom 2

Here's the opposite end of the spectrum.

9/10 GRAW PS2
7.5/10 Fight Club
8.5/10 Sonic 360
8.75/10 Nanobreaker
8.75/10 Death by Degrees
9/10 Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia
7.5/10 Catwoman
10/10 Wario World
10/10 Devil May Cry 2
10/10 Blinx: The Time Sweeper
8.5/10 Bullet Witch
8.5/10 300: March to glory
8.5/10 TMNT
8.5/10 Tenchu Z
7.5/10 Shadow the Hedgehog
8.5/10 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
10/10 Medal of Honor: Frontline
8/10 Dawn of Mana
9.5/10 Sonic Heroes
9/10 Blinx 2
8.5/10 Kirby Air Ride
8.5/10 Red Steel
8.5/10 Enter the Matrix
9/10 Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
8/10 Shrek 2

Segata Sanshiro said:

lol Segata you are the best.

one of the funniest posters here on gaf

Speevy said:
Halverson enjoys climbing up on his well-worn soapbox over GTA. I've read a couple of his editorials where he just railed the series. As for Blinx, it's a platformer, which automatically bumps it into the 8-10 range, with "8" being a zero on the normal 0-10 scale, and "10" being a five.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
ZealousD said:
6/10 TimeSplitters 2
5/10 Scarface: The World is Yours (PS2/XBOX)
6/10 Aggressive Inline
6.5/10 Kirby Canvas Curse
5.5/10 Elebits
7.5/10 GTA: San Andreas
6/10 Lego Star Wars
6/10 Luigi's Mansion
6/10 Tekken 4
6.5/10 Hitman: Blood Money
6/10 Marvel vs Capcom 2

Here's the opposite end of the spectrum.

9/10 GRAW PS2
7.5/10 Fight Club
8.5/10 Sonic 360
8.75/10 Nanobreaker
8.75/10 Death by Degrees
9/10 Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia
7.5/10 Catwoman
10/10 Wario World
10/10 Devil May Cry 2
10/10 Blinx: The Time Sweeper
8.5/10 Bullet Witch
8.5/10 300: March to glory
8.5/10 TMNT
8.5/10 Tenchu Z
7.5/10 Shadow the Hedgehog
8.5/10 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
10/10 Medal of Honor: Frontline
8/10 Dawn of Mana
9.5/10 Sonic Heroes
9/10 Blinx 2
8.5/10 Kirby Air Ride
8.5/10 Red Steel
8.5/10 Enter the Matrix
9/10 Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
8/10 Shrek 2

This is why when you see Play in Barnes & Nobles, you look at the pretty pics, because they do have better pics than most. Once you've seen all of the pics, move along. Lair just might be a great game, but Play isn't going to be the one to tell you that going on their previous reviewing history.

Darji

Banned
WOW the playstation hate is very strong in this thread. Why do people compare such an average game like Overlord with an epic game like Lair?The music is absolutley stunning and the game reminds me alot of SotC only with alot of dragons and much much bigger monsters. The visuals are absolutley stunning and how said the Play review
If gliding over a beautiful starlit ocean to the haunting strains of opera doesn't impress you, you're dead inside

So please dont compare it with Overlord.....

PS: San Andreas deserved this low score it was awful^^

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Onix said:
So does that mean Mario Galaxy gets an 11?

It'll get a 7. That way it kind of wraps around back to a 10.

Or something like that.

Onix said:
So does that mean Mario Galaxy gets an 11?
It gets a "HERMIEHOPPERHEAD/10" with extra scanned in tears-of-joy-stains dotting the page.

I don't want to tip any hands, but the words "joy-joy" and "bliss" are likely to come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom