• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player One Podcast 116: Feat. skip, G. Ford, K. Gifford and STEWY!

probune

No game talk this week. Instead, we dedicate the whole episode to talking about EGM's closure and the 1UP layoffs in the wake of Hearst/UGO's purchase of 1UP.com. In addition to regular hosts Chris "CJ" Johnston (ex-EGM News Editor) and Phil Theobald (ex-EGM editor and former GameNow Reviews Editor), we welcome a couple more ex-Ziff guests to the program: Kevin Gifford (ex-1UP editor and gaming magazine expert/Magweasel), Greg Sewart (ex-EGM Previews and Reviews Editor), Greg Ford (EGM Managing Editor), and Andrew "Skip" Pfister (ex-EGMer, GMRer and 1UP.com Reviews Editor/Podcast Producer).

Thanks for listening! You can leave us a voicemail comment by calling 713-893-8069 or you can send a comment via MP3 to our email address, playeronepodcast@gmail.com. Don't forget to join our forums if you haven't already!

Running time: 1:54:27

This week's links:
Andrew "Skip" Pfister on Twitter
Andrew "Skip" Pfister's page on 1UP.com
Greg Ford's page on 1UP.com
RebelFM
Eat-Sleep-Game.com (RebelFM folks)
Talking Orange (ex-1UP Show folks)
Magweasel
GSW: Opinion: Print Game Media - [Still] Not Dead, [Maybe] Getting Better
GSW: Game Mag Weaseling
Greg Sewart's Wordpress blog
Chris "CJ" Johnston's Twitter
Phil Theobald's page on 1UP.com
*******: Future Publishing experiences increase in gaming mag sales
PaidContent.org - Ziff Davis Gets Out Of The Game
NeoGAF: Listing of 1UP/EGM folks' blogs and Twitters

Direct MP3 download: http://media.libsyn.com/media/playerone/01...-Episode116.mp3

RSS: http://playerone.libsyn.com/rss
Show blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com

SuperPac

Unfortunately, no one can actually download the episode right now because Libsyn is having problems with their CDN (which I don't think has happened in all the time we've been using them, so it's a bit odd!)

Hopefully it'll be resolved soon!

BSherrod

Can't wait to listen. I do all my podcasts over the air on my iPhone so as soon as the feed and mp3 get fixed I'll be sure to listen.

SuperPac

tokkun said:
How do you manage so many people on Skype at once?

Conference call. We'd never done one with 6 people simultaneously before so I wasn't sure how well it was going to hold up but it worked out rather well. If there'd been too much lag we probably would've fallen back to TalkShoe, which is a sort of conference call/podcasting service that works pretty well with more participants.

Of course, how we do the audio is each participant uses Audacity (or uses Garageband) to record their own portion of the conversation. Then I throw them all into Garageband and match it up to my backup recording of the Skype call itself.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Very nice. Player One war-story episodes/segments are always really entertaining and with this lineup should be doubly so.

Gifford is the right man for this episode, and I like what he usually says and his opinions, but why does the guy go over about as smooth as a cheese grater with me? Sometimes it just feels a bit.. Painful to hear the guy talk?

Sorry, don't mean to hate, it's just bothered me the few times he has been on. He's knowledgable and I respect his opinions.. Must be in the delivery?

voltron

Sad face. But soon to be happy face :) how long is the episode?

edit, just learnt how to read: Running time: 1:54:27.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Oh man, geez, this episode sounds fantastic. I guess I don't need to bother doing an EGM history Retronauts now.

SuperPac

ToastyFrog said:
Oh man, geez, this episode sounds fantastic. I guess I don't need to bother doing an EGM history Retronauts now.

We really didn't do much talk about EGM history in this one. So there's still plenty that could be done in an EGM Retronauts.

EDIT: Yeah it's not up yet still... I got it to d/l 1.2MB but then it stalled again. :\

C4Lukins

SuperPac said:
We really didn't do much talk about EGM history in this one. So there's still plenty that could be done in an EGM Retronauts.

EDIT: Yeah it's not up yet still... I got it to d/l 1.2MB but then it stalled again. :\

I would love to hear some of those. Listening to you guys reflect back to the ID4 cover and similar stories are my favorite parts of the podcast. Because back in the day EGM was able to get me interested in a shitty licensed film game, and having read many of those issues multiple times it is just great fun to hear them referenced and listen to the stories behind those distorted memories.

Smokey

probune said:
No game talk this week. Instead, we dedicate the whole episode to talking about EGM's closure and the 1UP layoffs in the wake of Hearst/UGO's purchase of 1UP.com. In addition to regular hosts Chris "CJ" Johnston (ex-EGM News Editor) and Phil Theobald (ex-EGM editor and former GameNow Reviews Editor), we welcome a couple more ex-Ziff guests to the program: Kevin Gifford (ex-1UP editor and gaming magazine expert/Magweasel), Greg Sewart (ex-EGM Previews and Reviews Editor), Greg Ford (EGM Managing Editor), and Andrew "Skip" Pfister (ex-EGMer, GMRer and 1UP.com Reviews Editor/Podcast Producer).

Thanks for listening! You can leave us a voicemail comment by calling 713-893-8069 or you can send a comment via MP3 to our email address, playeronepodcast@gmail.com. Don't forget to join our forums if you haven't already!

Running time: 1:54:27

This week's links:
Andrew "Skip" Pfister on Twitter
Andrew "Skip" Pfister's page on 1UP.com
Greg Ford's page on 1UP.com
RebelFM
Eat-Sleep-Game.com (RebelFM folks)
Talking Orange (ex-1UP Show folks)
Magweasel
GSW: Opinion: Print Game Media - [Still] Not Dead, [Maybe] Getting Better
GSW: Game Mag Weaseling
Greg Sewart's Wordpress blog
Chris "CJ" Johnston's Twitter
Phil Theobald's page on 1UP.com
*******: Future Publishing experiences increase in gaming mag sales
PaidContent.org - Ziff Davis Gets Out Of The Game
NeoGAF: Listing of 1UP/EGM folks' blogs and Twitters

Direct MP3 download: http://media.libsyn.com/media/playerone/01...-Episode116.mp3

RSS: http://playerone.libsyn.com/rss
Show blog: http://www.playeronepodcast.com

you guys are in houston?

alba

Little is the new Big
downloading! :) (my first player one, don't mind me, i just followed 1up yours/fm and psnation :$)

be gentle! :D

edit: stuck, nooooooooo!

voltron

Waaaaaaaaaa

iTunes started so I tabbed out thinking all was good, only to tab back to find an ! next Player One Podcast.

:(

alba

Little is the new Big
not working, downloading for like 2 meg and stops, sucks... i guess i'll try again later :O

jax (old)

Banned
gotta say, this looks like one of the bestest P1 podcasts yet!

really looking forward to this one. ... download not happening. LOL. I think news that its got 1up/EGM elements = hammered

*BTW

guys you think you could upload it 6-7 hours earlier from whenever it normally gets uploaded? That way, I get to listen to it at work this afternoon.

jax (old)

Banned
I don't get how/why this is failing across the libsync/itunes/zune network! Someone upload to rapidshare or torrent it!

:p

Top Bottom