• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player One Podcast 116: Feat. skip, G. Ford, K. Gifford and STEWY!

voltron

lybertyboy said:
The Sports Anomaly is going to continue with the entire crew on board.

wow.

Too bad I dont listen to that show, but thats some pretty rad news right there. You should tweet that shit.

sutom

Really good P1P. Also:

lybertyboy said:
The Sports Anomaly is going to continue with the entire crew on board.
Awesome! SA is my favourite podcast ever (sorry for saying that in a P1P thread, which is great too!) - you, Todd, Greg, Fitch (and Bryan) have done an amazing job so far :D

edit: and skip!

stewy

sutom said:
Really good P1P. Also:

Awesome! SA is my favourite podcast ever (sorry for saying that in a P1P thread, which is great too!) - you, Todd, Greg, Fitch (and Bryan) have done an amazing job so far :D

Needs more NASCAR.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
beelzebozo said:
kevin gifford is fucking hilarious. i loved the last show he was on.

I think I have to agree with this. His faux-egotistical attitude (or maybe its real? I dont know!) is pretty entertaining, he just needs to stop playing with his goddamn pet toys.

Hey, I just wanted to say that despite my slightly negative post on the first page, I absolutely loved this episode and warmed up to gifford a lot more.

I wish I had that same magazine collection - i'm always looking for old mags in used bookstores and such. I love their permanence and how they're a window into the past.

Great show, guys. I love that you do this show!

GhaleonQ

That was brilliant stuff, all. Everyone did a great job of contributing and the topics of discussion were perfectly chosen.

Good show and very informative (although there were a few too many times were GFord or Skip were cutoff, but as was posted, maybe that was due to Skype).

Otherwise very much worth listening to.

If for nothing else than Skip's classically stoic voice and demeanor.

And GFord, the news about SA continuing to dominate in the face of annihilation will be written about in the history books one day. Triumph over all odds, the SA will live forever.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It's been a while since I listened to the Player One Podcast, months even. Well, I did listen to last week's episode, which I thought was decent. This one was very interesting though, but it must've been a nightmare having 6 different voices over skype like that (for almost 2 hours, at that). Not only the actual conversion, but also editing everything together.

Also, I have to say I'm really impressed by how good the sound quality is. I'm picky about that myself (as I run my own podcast and at least try to pay a lot of attention to the editing and mastering) and frequently find podcasts to be lacking in that regard. The Player One podcast is one of the best I've heard, no doubt. :)

mik

mik is unbeatable
As much as I enjoyed the first episode of Rebel FM (which I totally did), this episode of P1P was exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for as a response to recent events.

This was just an amazing wake for 1UP/EGM. A celebration. Thanks to all the guys for appearing and forcing me to wear a stupid grin for the duration of my two-hour flight this morning.

<3 P1

I liked Rebel FM, but this was more of what I was expecting, too. A little more commentary on everything, from the good to the bad, past to the present. Everyone was well spoken.

calder

Bleh, if the thread is bumped tomorrow I'll try to download it again. God I hate it when the internet doesn't work right, so oddly enraging. :lol

SuperPac

Libsyn (the podcast hosting site we use) is down AGAIN, their CDN is effed up just like it was last night around this same time. Hopefully it'll be back up soon. I dunno what the deal is.

SuperPac

Oddly enough RebelFM also uses Libsyn (I'd suggested it in their thread as it's always worked without fail for us), so they're down as well along with a couple other gaming 'casts that are hosted there (CAGcast and CAG Foreplay most notably).

Every time CJ brings up his EGM past he reveals something he probably shouldn't. I didn't think he would be able to top the Bubsy 3D incident or the making up of Quarterman rumors, but he actually did with the attract mode review. Please tell me you still have more stories from your dark past, they're like Wolverine flashbacks. I'm starting to think that Phil's avatar is a reference to you.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
PowerSmell said:
Every time CJ brings up his EGM past he reveals something he probably shouldn't. I didn't think he would be able to top the Bubsy 3D incident or the making up of Quarterman rumors, but he actually did with the attract mode review. Please tell me you still have more stories from your dark past, they're like Wolverine flashbacks. I'm starting to think that Phil's avatar is a reference to you.
SuperPac_DarkPast.jpg

Mar

M_A_C said:
Thanks for the update.

I do wish I could downloads this with iTunes... Will try again tomorrow.

I just got it via itunes about 2 hours ago. Have been trying since the podcast was released.

It was a good podcast. Made me all nostalgic and I kept looking over at my almost ceiling high pile of magazines (EGM from the 90s making up about half). I miss the old days of phone book sized magazines...

jax (old)

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
I liked Rebel FM, but this was more of what I was expecting, too. A little more commentary on everything, from the good to the bad, past to the present. Everyone was well spoken.

If the thread title for this podcast was done right, it might have garnered a lot more attention.

RebelFM ep1 is very much 1upyours/1upFM deux. This podcast is a way superior indepth look into the 1up fallout.

SuperPac

PowerSmell said:

Well when the Review Crew had 4 people on each game and there were a ton of games to review in the deadline cycle, it was possible that something'd slip through the cracks. Like I'd said, I was a small reviewer on the game and it was at the very last minute during deadline--one of the last games I had to do that month. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a story like that. But it wasn't like it happened all the time. And we lowered it to 3 people per game because even on slow months oftentimes people just had too many games to get through and write up and not enough time to do so thoroughly.

Barrett2

SuperPac said:
Well when the Review Crew had 4 people on each game and there were a ton of games to review in the deadline cycle, it was possible that something'd slip through the cracks. Like I'd said, I was a small reviewer on the game and it was at the very last minute during deadline--one of the last games I had to do that month. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a story like that. But it wasn't like it happened all the time. And we lowered it to 3 people per game because even on slow months oftentimes people just had too many games to get through and write up and not enough time to do so thoroughly.

CJ, one thing I wonder about is that it seems like reviewers often seem to get a little too much depth out of the games they play. For example, reviewers will often have discovered many of the games' secrets areas, missions or powerups, which I always thought was strange given the time constraints you guys have to review games under. Are reviewers just "awesome" at games, or based on your experience do you think reviewers are just usings FAQs if available, or asking other reviewers for help, tricks, etc.?

But aside from that, I also think there is still a lot of general dishonesty going on in the review process. There have been a few sports games, for example, that play drastically worse on the PS3 compared to the 360, yet a particular reviewer will give them both the same score, leading me to believe they only actually played one game, but blatantly lied on their review of the other game claiming they also played it.

andycapps

Very, very good podcast. Enjoyed all the nostalgia regarding the old EGM days. Was laughing at the part where they mentioned only playing one game for review for literally 5 minutes before writing the review and assigning a score to it. :lol

SuperPac

Anyone who wants to Digg this episode, it's been submitted to Digg.. :)

lawblob said:
CJ, one thing I wonder about is that it seems like reviewers often seem to get a little too much depth out of the games they play. For example, reviewers will often have discovered many of the games' secrets areas, missions or powerups, which I always thought was strange given the time constraints you guys have to review games under. Are reviewers just "awesome" at games, or based on your experience do you think reviewers are just usings FAQs if available, or asking other reviewers for help, tricks, etc.?

More often there aren't any FAQs available for review games unless they were released in Japan first. I think reviewers, especially when you're writing a longer review (like the big review in EGM) you spend as much time with the game as possible. And since you play a lot of different games it becomes easier and easier to get through quickly (which btw I'd say is not the way most consumers play games). Back in the day if you got stuck it was not uncommon to call the game's producer or PR person and ask questions. Today a lot of companies send out "reviewer's guides" which can be walkthroughs or tips. I generally tried to stay away from relying on those too much.

But aside from that, I also think there is still a lot of general dishonesty going on in the review process. There have been a few sports games, for example, that play drastically worse on the PS3 compared to the 360, yet a particular reviewer will give them both the same score, leading me to believe they only actually played one game, but blatantly lied on their review of the other game claiming they also played it.

I don't know about "blatantly lied." But with sports games that come out on multiple platforms it's difficult to spend the same amount of attention on one version versus another. You generally go with the "lead SKU" in those situations. It doesn't only affect sports games but multiplatform games in general. And there are times with all games where you'll notice a problem but PR will assure you it is being fixed for launch when it still ends up a problem in the final version. Happened to me when I reviewed Blinx The Time Sweeper for Xbox... they said "oh yeah, that'll be fixed in the gold version, you're playing a build a couple steps away from final" -- but the game came out the very next week and still had the issues I'd noted.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Excellent show guys and gals. I haven't been listening for the last few months, but I will most certainly go back a couple of episodes based on this one.

mik said:
moar liek hosed am i rite?!

LiK

just started listening. man, just hearing skip's morning meeting story was depressing. but i'm glad you guys got these guys on, i love hearing the behind-the-scenes stuff.

monkeycrap said:
I dug this out of the archive today:

rb6gbc.jpg

goodreviewin.jpg

excellent work cj.
platform, platform, platform, cram, cram, cram

Sounds like you guys got together, played it for 10 minutes, and then collectively wrote your reviews.

I remember looking at the reviews section when I was a kid, noticing how a few reviewers often went through 15 - 20 games/month, and then doing a quick calculation (10 - 15 hours * 20 games = X hours/one month). I knew from the beginning that either you guys were gaming gods (possible) or not giving some games very much time.

The attributes at the bottom of each review that you guys did always made me laugh. You could be reviewing the most amazing looking game for its time, but if it wasn't a good game overall, it would, at most, get an 8 for visuals. But if you were reviewing a game like OoT, which had very good visuals for its time, but certainly not the best, it would receive a 10. The overall review score seemed to pull a few of those mini categories up or down with them, fairly or unfairly. Memories...

SuperPac

OpinionatedCyborg said:
I remember looking at the reviews section when I was a kid, noticing how a few reviewers often went through 15 - 20 games/month, and then doing a quick calculation (10 - 15 hours * 20 games = X hours/one month). I knew from the beginning that either you guys were gaming gods (possible) or not giving some games very much time.

The person writing the big reviewer really would put as much time into it as possible. But when you were on a small review, especially if there was only one copy of a game in the office that had to be shared by multiple people, you'd maybe only be able to spend a couple hours playing.

The attributes at the bottom of each review that you guys did always made me laugh. You could be reviewing the most amazing looking game for its time, but if it wasn't a good game overall, it would, at most, get an 8 for visuals. But if you were reviewing a game like OoT, which had very good visuals for its time, but certainly not the best, it would receive a 10. The overall review score seemed to pull a few of those mini categories up or down with them, fairly or unfairly. Memories...

Right. For the visuals score especially, you're judging it based on stuff for the same system. Personally, I think the visuals for OoT were the best the N64 could muster at the time. :) The person who wrote the big review also did those numbers at the bottom.

LiK

SuperPac said:
Right. For the visuals score especially, you're judging it based on stuff for the same system. Personally, I think the visuals for OoT were the best the N64 could muster at the time. :) The person who wrote the big review also did those numbers at the bottom.

you are sooo right.

v0yce

Listened to about half the episode on my lunch break and thought it was great. Nice hearing Sewart again.

But if I may, why the dig at Play magazine? Seriously, do any of the people who "lol Play" ever look at the darn thing? I know everyone likes to laugh at Dave's reviews, but geez that's a small part, and the Play audience probably don't care that much about reviews anyway. Heck he's not the EiC anymore and they dropped review scores all together. You guys praise Milky's Japan EGM issue, but Play's had a thorough Japan section for a long time now.

Play was such a breath of fresh air for me when I first started picking it up. The writers actually seemed to, you know, enjoy games. Instead of everyone trying to be the next Seanbaby over at EGM and land the next big zingger on some game that probably didn't deserve it.

Anywho, rant over. Keep up the good work on the podcast guys. Still easily my favorite out there. And R.I.P. EGM. Lots of good memories. Good luck to those let go.

stewy

v0yce said:
Listened to about half the episode on my lunch break and thought it was great. Nice hearing Sewart again.

But if I may, why the dig at Play magazine? Seriously, do any of the people who "lol Play" ever look at the darn thing? I know everyone likes to laugh at Dave's reviews, but geez that's a small part, and the Play audience probably don't care that much about reviews anyway. Heck he's not the EiC anymore and they dropped review scores all together. You guys praise Milky's Japan EGM issue, but Play's had a thorough Japan section for a long time now.

Play was such a breath of fresh air for me when I first started picking it up. The writers actually seemed to, you know, enjoy games. Instead of everyone trying to be the next Seanbaby over at EGM and land the next big zingger on some game that probably didn't deserve it.

Anywho, rant over. Keep up the good work on the podcast guys. Still easily my favorite out there. And R.I.P. EGM. Lots of good memories. Good luck to those let go.

That was kind of where I was coming from in the show, too. Play gets a lot of crap, but I think they cater to their audience incredibly well.

stewy said:
That was kind of where I was coming from in the show, too. Play gets a lot of crap, but I think they cater to their audience incredibly well.

Yeah, they seem to run on the money generated by their reader base, which I think is should be the system magazines try and follow, rather than depend on advertisers so much.

Whimsical Phil said:

We're counting on you to bait him for more scary stories, for all we know he could have [Bubsy 3d joke].

Top Bottom