• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player One Podcast 116: Feat. skip, G. Ford, K. Gifford and STEWY!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Downloads now (clicked the mp3 link in the RSS)

Edit: Downloaded, will upload to zshare just in case.

Jax said:
I don't get how/why this is failing across the libsync/itunes/zune network! Someone upload to rapidshare or torrent it!

:p

There is a problem with libsyn's CDN (Content Delivery Network) which does all the storage and caching for the podcasts they distribute.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
The download is actually kinda-sorta working for me right now (it is acting uncomfortably sluggish, though).

If you can download it the non-Rapid/Zshare way, please do. CJ loves having proper download stats to refer to.

And wow, our little NeoGAF thread has already hit two pages before anyone even got the show. We need to ride some ZD coattails more often!

Proc

Whimsical Phil said:
The download is actually kinda-sorta working for me right now (it is acting uncomfortably sluggish, though).

If you can download it the non-Rapid/Zshare way, please do. CJ loves having proper download stats to refer to.

And wow, our little NeoGAF thread has already hit two pages before anyone even got the show. We need to ride some ZD coattails more often!

You sound like you're married to CJ lol.

yay, my iTunes stopped but is starting again. I don't know why but I have the urge to chant, "PHIL PHIL PHIL PHIL" as it downloads.

Whimsical Phil

Proc said:
You sound like you're married to CJ lol.

yay, my iTunes stopped but is starting again. I don't know why but I have the urge to chant, "PHIL PHIL PHIL PHIL" as it downloads.
We live on opposite sides of the country. That would be a very inconvenient relationship.

And don't start chanting too much. To be perfectly honest, I don't really say a whole lot this episode. Most of the talking is done by the special guests. In fact, Kevin Gifford ends up doing a lot of the interviewing (which makes sense given his extensive knowledge of gaming mags).

40 mins in - very good episode so far.

Great insight into what went on behind the scenes at 1up and EGM and how the industry worked from both a marketing and editorial standpoint.

jax (old)

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
40 mins in - very good episode so far.

Great insight into what went on behind the scenes at 1up and EGM and how the industry worked from both a marketing and editorial standpoint.

I'm at the 43 minute mark and they're talkign about EGM subscriptions and costs and I have got to say, I think this might be where EGM went wrong. $1 subscriptions? and of course, the magazines that you could get for free..etc

I just wanted to say that EDGE costs about $8-9 USD but I buy every issue and there's

a) games coverage (like EGM)
b) indepth coverage (looks backs/editorials)
c) ads for 3D schools/game companies.

I don't know how successful EDGE is but their focus seems to make them a resource material worth holding on to, and the fact that they don't gimp their price = continued success? I love edge and I've purchased every issue since 1998(?).

... well, they just started talking about EDGE...

Rufus

They gave away subscriptions to reel in more lucrative advertisement deals.

I don't think that Edge actually makes any money for Future Publishing. They're probably losing money on their poster-child, actually.

Mar

It still isn't coming up under a search in itunes. It's only showing the January 5th one... That's not it is it?

Whimsical Phil

Mar_ said:
It still isn't coming up under a search in itunes. It's only showing the January 5th one... That's not it is it?
No, it's episode 116, which is dated 1/11.

It hasn't shown up yet under the show's main page in the iTunes music store, but if you subscribe to the podcast and choose to "Update Podcast," iTunes should grab the current episode for you.

Of course, you could also just listen to the show via the link at http://www.playeronepodcast.com.

jax (old)

Banned
I'm done listening but this was such a dense podcast - not like the rebelFM podcast where the firings/fallout was cursorily swept over - I guess we're still very much living in the post 1up fallout period but I found the podcast gave a lot of insight into EGM/1up and the business of working for print/online (similarly sam's new lengthy blogpost) gives tremendous insight to the UGO/1up business but from the POV of someone surviving and someone in charge.

I do now wonder how Giantbomb sustains itself though.

will listen again tomorrow - interested to hear others thoughts on this - I guess the attention is very much focused on the rebelFM/UGO threads but this is a great podcast that looks at the issue.

* question for CJ+GREG

obviously having moved on from gaming journalism, I guess its not that much a stretch to ask, how difficult/hard was it to transition then from this field into whatever it is you're doing now. Because in the discussion with Greg about him moving to "games making" in response to others from 1up leaving to do so, it seems like everyone would be, what's the phrased you guys used "hustling"....

was there a point where you decided that the field/industry wasn't right for you, couldn't land something, and then had to find alternate means of making ends meet and how that realisation/point came to the 2 of you?

voltron

Does Greg Stewart post here? Dude if youre around, you gotta get back on the show regularly. I miss what you add to group.

zenbot

Jax said:
I do now wonder how Giantbomb sustains itself though.
If Giant Bomb sprang up out of the earth as a stand-alone site I'd wonder the same thing, but it's part of Whiskey Media's publishing network and so a lot of the work in setting it up and running it was already done. GB is structurally similar to Comic Vine; for an investment in four editors and some fiddling with existing infrastructure, Whiskey Media gets what will likely end up a pretty huge site. If it's not profitable yet, it's a safe bet that it will be soon.

probune

voltron said:
Does Greg Stewart post here? Dude if youre around, you gotta get back on the show regularly. I miss what you add to group.

His gaf name is stewy, as per the title of the thread.

SuperPac

wmat said:
ONLY download this if the proper way doesn't work, this is merely a mirror:

Who do I PM the deletion link to?

You can PM that to me, or just go ahead and delete it now.

Glad it's finally working. :) Bad time for Libsyn to go tits up.

Barrett2

Great episode this week, nice insights from everyone, and Kevin was hilarious as usual.

I am even more excited to read the PDF final version of EGM now that G. Ford filled us in on some of the quasi-goodbyes the EGM staff included in it.

Balb

It's a shame Greg Ford doesn't get more love. I can't speak for him obviously but he doesn't seem to care about that internet celebrity stuff. He just loves playing games and loved working for EGM.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Balb said:
It's a shame Greg Ford doesn't get more love. I can't speak for him obviously but he doesn't seem to care about that internet celebrity stuff. He just loves playing games and loved working for EGM.

And hes very funny

Barrett2

beelzebozo said:
all the guys on player one are pretty damn funny.

Phil's comments last week about TV "going away" and recommending listeners to fill up their TIVO's before TV went off the air was pretty damn funny.

Tobor

Great podcast. Thanks to Skip, Greg Ford, and the Mag Weasel.

The only complaint, and it's a nitpick, is that I've listened so long I'm hearing the same stories over again. CJ's teenage interview, the cone of violence, all done before on the show. Not a huge deal, and I guess new listeners can appreciate it.

stewy

voltron said:

Thanks man.

I was really honoured to be a part of this episode. Good times.

SuperPac

Jax said:
obviously having moved on from gaming journalism, I guess its not that much a stretch to ask, how difficult/hard was it to transition then from this field into whatever it is you're doing now. Because in the discussion with Greg about him moving to "games making" in response to others from 1up leaving to do so, it seems like everyone would be, what's the phrased you guys used "hustling"....

was there a point where you decided that the field/industry wasn't right for you, couldn't land something, and then had to find alternate means of making ends meet and how that realisation/point came to the 2 of you?

In my case, I'd been doing the EGM/News editor thing for 8 years and was looking to do something a little different (still in journalism). But there wasn't a specific point where I decided the industry wasn't right for me. I've loved games and talking/writing about games since I was but a wee teenager, but when you're in it for a long time especially up against monthly deadlines that are sometimes grating it begins to wear you down. Plus when you have to play games for work, some of the enjoyment and love you have for playing 'em goes away. I figured I'd done what I could in gaming journalism at the time, plus working at EGM was a dream job so there wasn't any other gaming outlet I wanted to work for. I figured if I left it, it would need to be for something totally different.

The opportunity presented itself to go work for Newtype USA, an anime magazine, and I took it. (Anime being another one of my hobbies/interests that I was almost as crazy about as games.) It was the chance to help a magazine that was bleeding money become profitable/successful. And while at the time no print magazine in a niche market such as anime was gonna light up the world, Newtype turned around and made a bit of money for the publisher. I'm proud to say it was the #1 anime magazine in the US, at least until the anime market went completely bust in 2007.

Lucky for me, just as the anime market was going in the toilet, a friend of mine who worked at Adult Swim told me he was leaving to go to Kongregate and asked if I'd like to take over his job as AdultSwim.com's Games Producer. I sent off my resume, and while the corporate wheels were turning on that anime REALLY went in the crapper. When your pay gets cut just a few months after getting a raise to an amount LOWER than you were getting when you were first hired, it's time to look elsewhere.

I was offered the job at Adult Swim, which I took, then Newtype USA was closed a week later (unrelated to my leaving -- the Japanese publisher yanked the license, but the timing on my departure was lucky!). So I'm still in gaming, producing games for the web. And I imagine that I'll at least be tangentially "in games" for the rest of my working days be it at Adult Swim here or at a different publisher. Would I go back to journalism? Sure, if that was in the cards. Part of the reason I started this podcast with Greg and that we do it so regularly is because I still enjoy playing and talking about games.

I really hope Greg Ford doesn't disappear into oblivion. Loved him on the Sports Anomaly. Greg, if you're reading this, are you planning on doing some stuff with Todd still?

Barrett2

SuperPac said:
I'm proud to say it was the #1 anime magazine in the US, at least until the anime market went completely bust in 2007.

Not knowing anything about the anime industry, can you give me a general idea of why the anime market tanked?

SuperPac

lawblob said:
Not knowing anything about the anime industry, can you give me a general idea of why the anime market tanked?

Couple reasons.

- Explosion of piracy due to the lag time between a show airs in Japan and the time it is released or aired in the US, and free vs. what US anime companies were charging.
- Greed of Japanese companies in terms of charging way too much for licenses to shows, making it impossible for US publishers to ever make their money back.
- Greed of US companies in having to charge more for their product than US consumers were used to paying for TV shows on DVD, thus pricing them out of the reach of their market.
- Reluctance from anime companies to get into digital distribution avenues such as iTunes.

The manga market is going in the crapper too, for similar reasons but without the piracy. :)

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
infinityBCRT said:
I really hope Greg Ford doesn't disappear into oblivion. Loved him on the Sports Anomaly. Greg, if you're reading this, are you planning on doing some stuff with Todd still?

The Sports Anomaly is going to continue with the entire crew on board.

Grecco

SuperPac said:
Couple reasons.

The manga market is going in the crapper too, for similar reasons but without the piracy. :)

piracy is hurting the manga industry too.

Anyways awesome show. Greg Ford for 3rd chair :p

I didn't comment after finishing listening to the entire episode (it was already way past my bedtime), but that was great from start to finish. People interested in the past, present, and future of 1up and its editors should give this a listen, and those interested in EGM won't be disappointed either - I particularly like how you guys talked about the editorial direction of the magazine over the years, how working on the magazine was like for you at first, among other things.

Anyway, well done. Great questions and comments from fennec fox. I look forward to reading his feature. It was interesting to hear Greg Ford's (or should I say, the "Greg the Lesser") experience with EGM, and how it was his dream job that he hadn't looked past. Skip's story about interning at several Ziff mags while staying in his uncles swank apartment was memorable as well.

I could keep going on here, but I'll stop. Good guests, good hosts, good stories. I'll be listening to you guys more regularly, I think.

Top Bottom