• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Garcia

whitehawk said:
0203_064x.gif

:lol Pretty much !!!!

WOW.

Speevy

Banned
If they're already doing it this easily, you'll be able to download the damn thing from the web browser within a week. :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Speevy said:
If they're already doing it this easily, you'll be able to download the damn thing from the web browser within a week. :lol
You wouldn't download a PS3.

Anth0ny

This thread is so awesome. I'm gonna wait to see what Sony does, but I'll probably be jailbreaking my PS3 very soon :D

My dream: a lagless N64 emulator that will allow us to play Smash 64 online. Make it happen homebrew people.

Zoe

BoboBrazil said:
Backups no longer need backup manager! They can be turned into pkg files and ran directly from hdd !

Well... you'd still need backup manager if you want to make your own backups, no?

Zoe said:
Well... you'd still need backup manager if you want to make your own backups, no?

Do you or are there tools out there to be able to rip your games to pc if you have a blu-ray drive? I haven't tried any of this as I haven't jailbroken.

Dont worry, there will be a proper backup manager soon. Put your game in, back it up, put your disc away for safe keeping. That is what I am waiting for.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
LovingSteam said:
Dont worry, there will be a proper backup manager soon. Put your game in, back it up, put your disc away for safe keeping. That is what I am waiting for.
Oh god... the hard-drive space.... ><

Can this work off a USB hard-drive? I don't really want to bother with installing a new internal one.

Actually couldn't you have a signed backup manager on your ps3 to rip your games and then just load them from the game menu without going through backup manager with this? You wouldn't need sys calls added since backup manager isn't running the game.

expy

Banned
angelfly said:
You can use Awesome Filemanager which I'm using right now to copy over Bayonetta to see if this works.
Well, that's still a manager of sorts. =p Wasn't aware of specific backup/file manager names.

jamaniek

LovingSteam said:
In that case i wouldn't be afraid of YLOD anymore (except of my console to be broken of course).

BocoDragon said:
Oh god... the hard-drive space.... ><

Can this work off a USB hard-drive? I don't really want to bother with installing a new internal one.
Yes it will. The Wii backup manager is a dream. Box arts, region choice, etc.

Zoe

BoboBrazil said:
Do you or are there tools out there to be able to rip your games to pc if you have a blu-ray drive? I haven't tried any of this as I haven't jailbroken.

People have been ripping games to their PC since the very beginning, but nobody could do anything with them due to encryption. Perhaps that's no longer an issue.

jamaniek said:
In that case i wouldn't be afraid of YLOD anymore (except of my console to be broken of course).

YLOD doesn't have anything to do with the drive... in fact, it's pretty easy to replace the entire drive.

Speevy

Banned
jamaniek said:

Yeah...YLOD has nothing to do with your disc drive. I hardly even played retail games on my other PS3 and it died anyway.

canova said:
damn I really need a second PS3 with a much bigger hard drive :D
The second I saw this thread pop up this am I went an bought the 500gb drive I've been eyeing...best buy gift cards covered it entirely. 4 hours later, I've moved all 47gb of shit onto the new drive. Nothing better than a 60gb launch machine with a 500gb drive and CFW. :D

I hope people now understand why the term Epic Fail was bandied about when all this started. Take everything that has happened so far in only a week or so. Now multiply out by another few months, throw in a pinch of sony-is-unable-to-address-this-via-hardware-or-software... and see where we end up.

jamaniek

Speevy said:
Yeah...YLOD has nothing to do with your disc drive. I hardly even played retail games on my other PS3 and it died anyway.
I meant the situation when you have YLOD and the damn disc is in a BD drive.

Superblatt said:
The second I saw this thread pop up this am I went an bought the 500gb drive I've been eyeing...best buy gift cards covered it entirely. 4 hours later, I've moved all 47gb of shit onto the new drive. Nothing better than a 60gb launch machine with a 500gb drive and CFW. :D

Yeah. I have a slim now because my launch unit is getting the YLOD, but now I'm heavily considering just having it repaired.

jamaniek said:
I meant the situation when you have YLOD and the damn disc is in a BD drive.

As I stated above, my launch unit just got YLOD and AC: Brotherhood was in it. I opened up the console and took the disc out without too much effort.

Zoe

captmcblack said:
I am about to buy a slim PS3 for this shit.

Use the slim for legit means and use the phatty for homebrew. You might not have noticed, but a lot of people reported broken launch units over the holidays :lol
:(

brandonh83 said:
As I stated above, my launch unit just got YLOD and AC: Brotherhood was in it. I opened up the console and took the disc out without too much effort.

Is there a pinhole or anything? I didn't get DS out before the YLOD hit a second time :(

Anth0ny

LovingSteam said:
Yes it will. The Wii backup manager is a dream. Box arts, region choice, etc.

I was gonna say if Wii could use external usb drives for backups, Ps3 probably will too.

I'll be picking up a 1TB external hard drive tomorrow for my backups. This shit is going to be biblical. Any word on whether there will be lower loading times?

Garcia

Speevy said:

Really?... I also thought YLOD was a BR problem. So even if I don't use my PS3 at all it might catch a YLOD out of nowhere? :/ . . Sorry, don't want to derail the thread, just was curious about that.

So tempting, but I value PSN too much and was planning on playing DCUO come Tuesday. Fuck.
Maybe I'll get a slim for online play...

Zoe

Garcia said:
Really?... I also thought YLOD was a BR problem. So even if I don't use my PS3 at all it might catch a YLOD out of nowhere? :/ . . Sorry, don't want to derail the thread, just was curious about that.

YLOD happens when the PS3 can't boot up for some reason. A PS3 can still function with a faulty BD drive. You can even still use CD's and DVD's in some cases.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
BoboBrazil said:
Backups no longer need backup manager! They can be turned into pkg files and ran directly from hdd !

1) Download and compile latest tools from git.fail0verflow.com Git (old versions of unself produce incorrect ELF)
2) Extract ELF from SELF
3) Hexedit ELF, find and replace dev_bdvd to correct path on dev_hdd0 (not all, but most games require this step)
4) Build NPDRM SELF using Geohot's tools
5) Build package using psn_package_npdrm
6) Patch your builded package using Geohot's tool (only for 3.55 firmware)

DjXjb.gif

Garcia said:

Even if the two are unrelated, you decrease your chance of hardware failure significantly by not using the BD drive. The fewer moving parts, the better.

jsnepo

I have a question about the backup manager. Let's say you install the game in the internal HDD, what's going to happen if a game requires an install like MGS4 or GTA4? Will it play? Will there be slowdowns?

fugimax

320gb or 500gb hard drive recommendation? Thinking 7200RPM.

Will be running emulators, but might as well make loading of PSN games fast too..

Zoe said:
Is there a pinhole or anything? I didn't get DS out before the YLOD hit a second time :(

Don't think so, I basically just kept unscrewing everything until I got to where I needed to get to :lol just memorize how everything is assembled, you basically just take the top layer off and then another layer I think, and disassemble the disc drive.

something about that sounded really perverted.

expy

Banned
Zoe said:
Use the slim for legit means and use the phatty for homebrew. You might not have noticed, but a lot of people reported broken launch units over the holidays :lol
:(

If I were to jump onto the homebrew scene, I'd probably buy a new slim for it, I wouldn't risk installing random applications on my phat launch unit. Even if it's been running perfect since day 1, I'd rather sacrifice a slim. :lol

Mana Sin

I bought a Ps3 around the time it first came out and it died a couple years ago. It's still lying around somewhere; how much would it cost me to have it repaired?

Zapages

Mana Sin said:
I bought a Ps3 around the time it first came out and it died a couple years ago. It's still lying around somewhere; how much would it cost me to have it repaired?

I think about +/- 150 dollars from what I remember.

Shaneus

fugimax said:
320gb or 500gb hard drive recommendation? Thinking 7200RPM.

Will be running emulators, but might as well make loading of PSN games fast too..
Momentus XT 500gb is the best option... great access times and a good storage size for a moderate price. I haven't seen much amazing performance out of my 320gb, but I've not really played anything (official) that would get better with faster HDD load times.

expy

Banned
Mana Sin said:
By Sony, around $150, by a 3rd party, probably cheaper, but the work might be shoddy.

jamaniek

Mana Sin said:
Just buy a new one. Repairing it is useless.

Canova

Banned
I have a 40GB, it's already full, I was thinking and gonna get a new one anyway. This thread just sped up the process considerably :lol

whitehawk

Banned
So... What are the chances of bricking your PS3 by doing this? I think I may wait a while before I try this (let the scene figure things out first), but I hope it isn't too risky.

Top Bottom