• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

dak1dsk1

Banned
TheSeks said:
You can do that with the FTP application already.
Does this mean, that I can take a full backup of my PS3 harddisk and replace it with a larger one? I always wanted to go higher than my 60gb, but I would hate to lose my saves.

angelfly

dak1dsk1 said:
Does this mean, that I can take a full backup of my PS3 harddisk and replace it with a larger one? I always wanted to go higher than my 60gb, but I would hate to lose my saves.
PS3 has the ability to do that built in

angelfly said:
signed it myself :D
dng8eb.jpg

edit: link to pkg file http://www.multiupload.com/65L9C3LF6K

Also since I went to the trouble of setting up the f0 and geohot tools does anyone have any request for packages to sign?

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
angelfly said:
PS3 has the ability to do that built in

Backup manager won't work on a new PS3. FTP will (IIRC), but there is also (if the firmware is updated to 3.00 or whatever) the "move [PS3] save transfer" tool that'll move stuff via ethernet cable hookups between the two PS3's to the new PS3. One time transfer, all the stuff on the old PS3 is deleted after (I think it works on PSX/PS2 save cards as well, but don't hold me to that).

The options been there for a bit. The FTP just lets you make a back up of the locked saves. Not too sure how easy/hard it is.

dak1dsk1 said:

I have done this twice in the last few years (upgraded to a bigger one the second time), and I am usually useless at doing such things. You need an external HDD to back up to though, and make sure you buy the correct internal HDD

How to vid by IGN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2d3JCMHL4o

Bad_Boy said:
When MKV or Dreamcast emu support comes, I'll jump in and buy a 2nd ps3 for this.

Yup me too.
Im sure this wouldn't even be possible but how kick ass would it be if you could somehow play SMG with a move controller.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Why yes, i DO want to play Mother 3 on my HDTV:

abfa5741.jpg

d0976217.jpg

Sorry about the terrible iPod photos, these look amazing irl.

Full Throttle for good measure too, and the controls are actually butter smooth, I could see myself playing it with a controller:

816dbc39.jpg

jsnepo

I hope a Windows application is in the works to enable reading the PS3 file system so I can back up data from my YLOD unit.

angelfly

TheSeks said:
Backup manager won't work on a new PS3. FTP will (IIRC), but there is also (if the firmware is updated to 3.00 or whatever) the "move [PS3] save transfer" tool that'll move stuff via ethernet cable hookups between the two PS3's to the new PS3. One time transfer, all the stuff on the old PS3 is deleted after (I think it works on PSX/PS2 save cards as well, but don't hold me to that).

The options been there for a bit. The FTP just lets you make a back up of the locked saves. Not too sure how easy/hard it is.
He's talking about backing up the HD before upgrading which PS3 lets you do and once the drive is replaced you can restore it along with any locked saves.

mattiewheels said:
Why yes, i DO want to play Mother 3 on my HDTV:

abfa5741.jpg

d0976217.jpg

Sorry about the terrible iPod photos, these look amazing irl.

Full Throttle for good measure too, and the controls are actually butter smooth, I could see myself playing it with a controller:

816dbc39.jpg
Screw you!! Was trying to wait but then you show Full Throttle!!! Why! i cant say no to that :(

Yoboman

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yup me too.
Im sure this wouldn't even be possible but how kick ass would it be if you could somehow play SMG with a move controller.
Why wouldn't it be possible?

darkwing

ShockingAlberto said:
Keeping an eye on this, but I'm too afraid of PSN bans to do anything right now.

just buy another PS3 for homebrews and stuff, pretty sure Sony will do something on the PSN side

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
For Sony, would it be a matter of people signing into PSN or just having your ps3 connected?

I would love to just keep this connected but never sign onto psn, I stream alot of content from my nasbox.

anyone else does this?

Ephemeris

angelfly said:
He's talking about backing up the HD before upgrading which PS3 lets you do and once the drive is replaced you can restore it along with any locked saves.
Including Demon's souls ? Even to another console?

I reverted to OFW for the next few days and used PSN. If they catch me, so be it. If I start to miss PSN badly I'll get a second system.

I don't really mind what Sony do, as my current PS3 is kinda dying (fan gets super loud), I don't not play online on PSN, and I have only made a few PS Store buy. So, whatever they do, I can come back from it I guess.

I can be a test case for all the scared people :D

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
fugimax said:
320gb or 500gb hard drive recommendation? Thinking 7200RPM.

Will be running emulators, but might as well make loading of PSN games fast too..

Momentus XT natch

SuicideUZI said:
what about the Momentus XT "SSD Hybrid" would that have noticeable load time improvements over a 5400RPM or standard 7200RPM drive?

OMG YES. I have one, it's awesome.

As for the extra heat issue, I first upgraded my launch 60 GB to a 7200 RPM 200 GB drive about 1 year in, then went to a 500 GB 7200 rpm, then went to the 500 GB Momentus XT...so about 3 years and a bit with the higher speed drive, and no issues with my PS3.

Ephemeris said:

Every game / save / video /photo / mp3 on my system transfered for me, so I think everything goes, but I upgraded before I played Demon's Souls, so maybe that is a special case.

darkwing

i wouldn't be worried about PSN bans, at least for a few weeks, even with the PSN load scam/thingy, it took them a long time to ban consoles

People talking about upgrading make me want to upgrade again... What is the biggest size (GB) the PS3 takes nowdays?

I have have 320GB, and if I could double/triple I would. If the limit is 500GB, I think I will stay.

At this stage in time PSN bans are highly unlikely. It took Sony a good 2 months to detect CFW PSP's on PSN, and then within a week a plugin was made to bypass that. With the PS3 its going to be even harder to detect due to the nature of Sony's cockup.

Your accounts are safe folks.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ephemeris said:

BACKUP Function - Backs up everything, locked saves too.
RESTORE Function - if same PS3, then everything is returned, if different PS3, then no, just the basics

TRANSFER Function - transfers everything, locked saves too to another ps3

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I just bought a 160 GB PS3 for homebrew :D

Still in the box, I'm too tired and busy to actually do anything until next weekend :lol

darkwing

Fatghost said:
I just bought a 160 GB PS3 for homebrew :D

Still in the box, I'm too tired and busy to actually do anything until next weekend :lol

i think i'm going to turn my old phat into a homebrew station and buy a new PS3 slim myself :D

nec99

I'm apparently too retarded to install this simple hack.
I've "installed" the CFW, I get to read the EULA and I hit ok and it shows a short progress bar and resets like any other FW update. I am following the instructions and I've tried downloading the pup file from different locations and trying different thumb drives but I still get no "install packages" option under game. I also can't reinstall 3.55 OFW (says no valid upgrade or something close) so it makes me think it's not installing the CFW at all even though it says it is. Anyone have any ideas?

angelfly

nec99 said:
I'm apparently too retarded to install this simple hack.
I've "installed" the CFW, I get to read the EULA and I hit ok and it shows a short progress bar and resets like any other FW update. I am following the instructions and I've tried downloading the pup file from different locations and trying different thumb drives but I still get no "install packages" option under game. I also can't reinstall 3.55 OFW (says no valid upgrade or something close) so it makes me think it's not installing the CFW at all even though it says it is. Anyone have any ideas?
How many beeps did you hear? You should make sure you're already on 3.55. Update the firmware throught the XMB. After that just place GEOHOT pup in the same location on the USB stick and update through the XMB. You should hear 8 beeps to let you know it worked. 3 beeps means you're not on the right firmware.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Unknown Soldier said:
mkv support?? Where do I sign up?? I'm so excited!!! :lol

Cheaters running rampant all over the PSN? That's not as exciting. :lol

that's all I really want is mkv support.

i don't think cheaters are going to be that rampant as they are on xbox though.
Well lets hope not lol

nec99

angelfly said:
How many beeps did you hear? You should make sure you're already on 3.55. Update the firmware throught the XMB. After that just place GEOHOT pup in the same location on the USB stick and update through the XMB. You should hear 8 beeps to let you know it worked. 3 beeps means you're not on the right firmware.

I got 8 beeps the first time and no install package option. Now I get the 3 beeps. Gonna try going to 3.55 through xmb and trying again.

darkwing

Unknown Soldier said:
mkv support?? Where do I sign up?? I'm so excited!!! :lol

Cheaters running rampant all over the PSN? That's not as exciting. :lol

its only been a day, give it a few weeks, then all hell will break lose on BO games, considering Treyarch's support for the PS3 version :D

and for mkv, considering you just need to remux it and you can play it now, shouldn't be too long without the need for this step

Jinko

angelfly said:

This, FWIW I was on 3.55 but was getting 3 beeps, I had to go into the service menu and reinstall 3.55 before the CFW would install correctly.

Downloaded the offical firmware on page 1.

Psy-Phi

g35twinturbo said:
that's all I really want is mkv support.

i don't think cheaters are going to be that rampant as they are on xbox though.
Well lets hope not lol
MKV would be nice.

I'd really like to rip my own PSone games, directly on the PS3. It'd make life easier and save me from continuing to think about buying them all again. As it is, I've been buying them as I want to play them. Being lazy is expensive.

Also, the games that aren't available, I wonder if they'd work or if there would be problems like Brave Fencer Musashi on the PSP? The disc version works perfectly fine (the bit I played), and ripping that to PS3 would be glorious. Ripping it to PSP didn't work (with the codes I tried).

What will be most interesting to me though, is if the PS3 starts to sell more. I've had this personal hunch that systems that are able to be hacked seem to sell more. Though that idea came as I looked at the PS era.

nec99

Jinko said:
This, FWIW I was on 3.55 but was getting 3 beeps, I had to go into the service menu and reinstall 3.55 before the CFW would install correctly.

Downloaded the offical firmware on page 1.
How can I reinstall 3.55? When I try though XMB it says I'm up to date and when I try with external storage it tells me no applicable data found. When I try to update using CFW it beeps 3 times at me saying its the wrong version so I'm in some sort of update hell. :)

ScrubJay

This is very interesting, I'd love to install games to the HD and play SNES games. I'll be watching this thread with bated breath.

Benedict

Psy-Phi said:
MKV would be nice.

I'd really like to rip my own PSone games, directly on the PS3. It'd make life easier and save me from continuing to think about buying them all again. As it is, I've been buying them as I want to play them. Being lazy is expensive.

That would be awesome, especially if you could put all of that on an external HDD. But since I have "too many" PSN games (not in the Spevvy-dimension, but close) and a back-log of about 20-30 PS3 games, I probably won't try this. Will follow with interest.

Jinko

nec99 said:
How can I reinstall 3.55? When I try though XMB it says I'm up to date and when I try with external storage it tells me no applicable data found. When I try to update using CFW it beeps 3 times at me saying its the wrong version so I'm in some sort of update hell. :)

To enter the service menu turn your PS3 off, hold the power button down, the green light will come on keep the power button pressed down, the console will switch off.

Press and hold down the power button again, it will beep once and then beep twice consecutively take your finger off the power button and it will start up in the service mode, here you can reinstall 3.55 over the exsisting version. (you can't install the CFW this way)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Psy-Phi said:
MKV would be nice.

Also, the games that aren't available, I wonder if they'd work or if there would be problems like Brave Fencer Musashi on the PSP? The disc version works perfectly fine (the bit I played), and ripping that to PS3 would be glorious. Ripping it to PSP didn't work (with the codes I tried).

What will be most interesting to me though, is if the PS3 starts to sell more. I've had this personal hunch that systems that are able to be hacked seem to sell more. Though that idea came as I looked at the PS era.

That would also be cool.

seriously use the ps3 as a hub for psone games.

if people have BC ps3's, they could store ps2 games :D

vocab

Someone please tell me how good Final Burn Alpha emulation is with this. I will do this shit right now if it's worth a damn.

Top Bottom