• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Brashnir

I'm torn between my inherent nerd desire to mess around with this stuff and my rational sense to not go messing with my PS3 since I only have one.

I think I'll hold off since I already have a dedicated emulator machine, and none of the other apps I've seen so far really seem like anything I need, but it's really hard to know I can do this stuff and not do it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Shaneus said:
So, I have a phat on 3.41 and a 3.55 slim in my living room. Is everyone doing this on their main PS3 or secondary? I'm not sure if I'm game... yet.

I only own one PS3, though I have access to two, and I'm doing this on mine. I don't play console games online and I haven't bought a PSN title since Joe Danger, so even if PSN bans come into effect it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

drkOne

mrklaw said:
surely for backup managers, an external USB drive is the way to go? internal upgrades were only done because that was the only thing you could install PSN games to. If homebrew can access a USB drive, just grab a cheap 1TB external drive and use that. 7200rpm too (which I would't put in the PS3)
Never used any for PS3 Homebrew/Loaders/etc but...
Internal is cheaper, should be faster and it's one less box laying around.
External is just easier to use with other things in case you want to.

Jinko

dangrib said:
Even if sony bring out a fix I can just revert back to official 3.55 via USB? If so then I'm in

You can revert back to the offical FW, if they catch you online using a CFW (assuming they can detect it) changing back would do very little.

Best to stay offline if you plan to change over to CFW.

54-46!

Finally, I'll be using it as my prime Mediacenter once it can play all of my MKV files.. really good stuff! PS3 Mediaserver was good but it was never a optimal solution for me, this will be.

Also, 3rd Strike on FBA! :D (until they release the Online Edition).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Marrshu said:
Remote Play works with it. I dunno why you'd want to use it given it's laggier then hell, but it works.
I'm amazed that it's in there at all. Lag or not... that is cool.

N.A

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I'm amazed that it's in there at all. Lag or not... that is cool.

Remote play can be enabled for pretty much anything (all retail games included). All that is needed is a quick modification to param.sfo.

Almost everything sucks with it though.

eso76

very excited to try this.
Can't wait for a good Media Center and a good Mame port. Mamedox worked fine on crt sdtv and for older games, but several titles failed to achieve fullspeed and with poor video filters on hdtv.
Hope they can get something like Final Fight Xbla video filters working on such emus.
That would be glorious.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
N.A said:
Remote play can be enabled for pretty much anything (all retail games included). All that is needed is a quick modification to param.sfo.
So can we enable remote play on games for which the developer did not enable it? Howabaout PS3 games? Uncharted on the can? Make it so. :D

KAL2006

Banned
Just thought of something, why doesn't someone make a homebrew app that installs packages, so basically you don't ever have to go back to custom firmware, you could just use official firmware.

Basically this is what I mean
1. install custom firmware
2. install homebrew app (which is a package installer)
3. go back to official firmware
4. now you can install packages (homebrew) by using the homebrew app you intalled in the cusom firmware

Sophia

N.A said:
Almost everything sucks with it though.

Almost everything? I don't think I've found a single use for RemotePlay other then to waste my time. :lol

Hopefully, we'll get something like RemoteJoy for the PS3 down the line.

N.A

Banned
Marrshu said:
Almost everything? I don't think I've found a single use for RemotePlay other then to waste my time. :lol

Hopefully, we'll get something like RemoteJoy for the PS3 down the line.

A couple of backup managers have it enabled so you can keep track of the progress of your discs being ripped whilst taking a shit.

Useless for anything that needs input lag at less than a second though.

Danielsan

Damn I'm really getting itchy fingers. I kinda want to just do it now. I've been meaning to upgrade my HDD regardless. The 40GB simply doesn't cut it when you purchase a lot of big PSN (hello Siren: Blood Curse) games and have a lot of games that require or have optional installs.

Would any of these work well with the PS3:

Western Digital 500gb Scorpio Sata 5400rpm 8mb
Western Digital WD Caviar Green 500GB (WD500CS-RTL2)

KAL2006

Banned
Danielsan said:
Damn I'm really getting itchy fingers. I kinda want to just do it now. I've been meaning to upgrade my HDD regardless. The 40GB simply doesn't cut it when you purchase a lot of big PSN (hello Siren: Blood Curse) games and have a lot of games that require or have optional installs.

Would any of these work well with the PS3:

Western Digital 500gb Scorpio Sata 5400rpm 8mb
Western Digital WD Caviar Green 500GB (WD500CS-RTL2)

Wait a while I bet someone will allow USB NTFS support and allow the ability to play games of the USB HDD. So you could probably get a 3.5 hardrive which is cheaper and has more capacity, also it will be much easier to transer files on an external hardrive.

Whatever I did wrong, FBANext wont find any roms I ask it to.

When I installed it fist I opened it without any roms (silly me)
I then put a rom in a "FBANext-ROMS" folder on the root of a USB, and it will not find it (Thsi USB works with everything else I ask it too BTW)
I tried two roms (from different sources), and nothing
I found some way to alter nm XML file via FTP that is supposed to let you tell it where to get roms, but that file is not their to alter
I tried to load the roms via palcing them in folder via FTP... that wont work either
I deleted the app, downloaded, and launched it again, and still nothing
My brain is wrecked

...am I doing something obviously wrong, or have I hit a bug?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any 2.5" SATA/2 drive will work just fine with the PS3, as long as the dimensions don't extend beyond the standard (which is only a concern with large 7200rpm drives).

KAL2006 said:
Wait a while I bet someone will allow USB NTFS support and allow the ability to play games of the USB HDD. So you could probably get a 3.5 hardrive which is cheaper and has more capacity, also it will be much easier to transer files on an external hardrive.

This.

Danielsan

KAL2006 said:
Would you say it will be possible to transfer PSN games such as Wipeout HD/Fury and Siren Blood Curse to an external hardrive in the future and play them from there? I've been deleting installs and games all year (Siren, which was nearly 10GB I believe was first to go) to free up room for other games and installs so going to 500GB would already be a great improvement, but of course hooking up a 2TB external harddrive would be preferred. :lol

N.A

Banned
So I'm currently working on a wiki that will aim to mirror the awesome job Clipper has done for the Wii.

What it will include to begin with:
- Getting Started guide with info on how to install the CFW and PKG files.
- Homebrew directory with links to those compiled with the open source SDK and advice on configuring rom directories etc.
- Setting up and using FTP.

What it will eventually include:
- Guide to rip & play your retail games (no piracy) from HDD (as soon as a simple solution to this arrives)
- The inevitable guides for things such as customization, installing and configuring Linux etc.

I should hopefully be able to get an early version up later today.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Keyser Soze said:
Whatever I did wrong, FBANext wont find any roms I ask it to.

When I installed it fist I opened it without any roms (silly me)
I then put a rom in a "FBANext-ROMS" folder on the root of a USB, and it will not find it (Thsi USB works with everything else I ask it too BTW)
I tried two roms (from different sources), and nothing
I found some way to alter nm XML file via FTP that is supposed to let you tell it where to get roms, but that file is not their to alter
I tried to load the roms via palcing them in folder via FTP... that wont work either
I deleted the app, downloaded, and launched it again, and still nothing
My brain is wrecked

...am I doing something obviously wrong, or have I hit a bug?

Using FTP create this tree of folders.

/dev_hdd0/ROMS/FBA

Put ROM's in this folder. Then FBA will find them.

Foffy

Banned
N.A said:
So I'm currently working on a wiki that will aim to mirror the awesome job Clipper has done for the Wii.

- Homebrew directory with links to those compiled with the open source SDK and advice on configuring rom directories etc.

- Guide to rip & play your retail games (no piracy) from HDD (as soon as a simple solution to this arrives)
- The inevitable guides for things such as customization, installing and configuring Linux etc.

Sweet stuff then. I think I'm gonna hold back on going down that route until the Tales games are fan-translated. :D

Yoboman

N.A said:

- Setting up and using FTP.

Looking forward to it

Yoboman

Will Sony be able to detect if games are running from the HDD instead of a disc? Seems like that could be an easy way to detect piracy?

What if the OFW PS3 Media server app was modified to allow access to the game column, that way I could just copy whatever I want into the Game Directory. Besides PS3 Media Server is amazing. I wouldn't even need NTFS support at that point...

RJT

Yoboman said:
Will Sony be able to detect if games are running from the HDD instead of a disc? Seems like that could be an easy way to detect piracy?
That could be a good way of detecting backup loaders (piracy or not). Anyway, I'm sure Sony will find a way to deny CFW consoles from PSN, and I'm sure there will be a way of moving in and out of OFW.

AkuMifune

Banned
Yoboman said:

I've bought a few games off of PSN though, like Burnout. Not sure how they would be able to tell with games you can get off PSN, especially with things like sharing still allowed.

I just find it hilarious that people have finally broken the most sophisticated home console to date, and immediately start using it to play SNES games. Myself included. :D

AkuMifune said:
I just find it hilarious that people have finally broken the most sophisticated home console to date, and immediately start using it to play SNES games. Myself included. :D

Rule #32: Enjoy the Little Things :D

Dani said:
Using FTP create this tree of folders.

/dev_hdd0/ROMS/FBA

Put ROM's in this folder. Then FBA will find them.

Thanks for the help, but it still does not find them.

It's weird, as it's like the emulator does not even try and search for them at all, as the second FDA loads, the "No Roms Found" message is displayed

Sophia

AkuMifune said:

It's a lot easier having the PS3 hooked up then having to drag out the SNES and carts each time. Plus, you can make Mega Man look so funky with the shaders. :lol

Marrshu said:
It's a lot easier having the PS3 hooked up then having to drag out the SNES and carts each time. Plus, you can make Mega Man look so funky with the shaders. :lol
Can you post some photos/screens from games in action? With shaders on and off. I'd like to see how it looks.

JADS

Jinko said:
Wonder how long before we see Dolphin on PS3 :lol

Months if not years :lol

Ector said:
I believe that it can be done BUT it would be a MASSIVE undertaking. Not one that I'm likely to take on, that's for sure Smile

Main pieces of work necessary:

* Writing a new JIT, Gecko->Cell PPC.
* Getting an OpenGL implementation (will involve porting MESA + Nouveau) OR porting the emu to directly access the nVidia GPU (might be even harder)
* Getting a working Cg-compatible shader compiler that can run directly on the PS3 OR rewrite the whole shader generation to generate binary GF7800 shaders directly
* Tying up all loose ends and optimizing

I think all of the above are possible but seriously difficult and time consuming. Full speed is probably attainable, at least on GC games but possibly also Wii games, after a few years of solid work.

Source: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=11893

eso76

ooohh, fbanext appears to be rather sweet running on ps3.
There's videos of sf3 and metal slug on the tube and they're both flawless.

from what i read roms should be placed here:

Place your roms in /dev_hdd0/game/FBAN00000/USRDIR/roms

ooohh, it also appears to have a number of shaders:

2xSaI
4xSoft
AdvancedAA
Lanzcos12
Lanzcos16
MCGreen
bloom
blur
crt
emboss
hq2x
quad_interp
scale2xplus
scanline
sharpen
stock
super2xSal
superEagle
toon

yay, can't wait to try myself

Sophia

eso76 said:
ooohh, it also appears to have a number of shaders:

*epic list*

yay, can't wait to try myself

Those are all the same shaders in SNES9x. I personally really like the CRT one. Toon is just funky. Lemme see about getting a screenshot of it.

Notorious_Roy said:
Can you post some photos/screens from games in action? With shaders on and off. I'd like to see how it looks.

These aren't the best quality images, but...

CRT shader. The effect's kinda like the Final Fight: Double Impact option, except without the artwork.

Emboss shader. o mega man, y u so stale?

When people (and the OP) talk about installing by USB, is that really a quirky necessity (like Wii homebrew that made you remove GCN memory cards), or are they just being too specific and any media will do? I usually use an SD card for transferring firmware/videos/whatever to my PS3.
KAL2006 said:
It would be funny if someone adds 3D support in these emulators after all Sony is pushing 3D with the PS3
Considering they've never assed to do it on PC I doubt there'll be a rush here.
expy said:
So far, it's pretty much just emulation, which was there from day 1 on Other OS.
Though in this case we don't have to go through the hassle of setting up another OS.

jamaniek

Loads of stuff in 8h of my absence. You guys just don't slow down, don't you? :D I can see FTP Server in OP. Any real usage for it? Also any progress with running retail games from HDD?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
jamaniek said:
Loads of stuff in 8h of my absence. You guys just don't slow down, don't you? :D I can see FTP Server in OP. Any real usage for it? Also any progress with running retail games from HDD?

FTP is a time saver. Much quicker just to send files from the PC to the PS3 without having to use disks/USB/memory cards etc. Very handy for setting up emulators and ROM directories.

It's amazing how quickly stuff is being pumped out now, it might nearly all be emulators right now but still, so nice. Can't wait to see what happens over the month.

eso76

Marrshu said:
These aren't the best quality images, but...

CRT shader. The effect's kinda like the Final Fight: Double Impact option, except without the artwork.
[/URL]

oooooohh..exactly what i was hoping for.
Thank you kind sir.
I don't know if i should fap now or once i get that thing running on my ps3.

guess i can do both.

Top Bottom