• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Ignignort

This is really great, so easy to use. But something just occured to me...

I've got this currently installed on the 40gig ps3. But my launch PS3 60gig has a "dead" blu ray drive. I quote this because it'll sometimes read discs but often will just give up trying to read them. I wonder if the file manager will recognise the disc...

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Ignignort said:
This is really great, so easy to use. But something just occured to me...

I've got this currently installed on the 40gig ps3. But my launch PS3 60gig has a "dead" blu ray drive. I quote this because it'll sometimes read discs but often will just give up trying to read them. I wonder if the file manager will recognise the disc...

it probably won't especially if you are getting read errors.

Hopefully these come out soon

MKV support
Ability to run backups... install manager of our choice.
Emulators (Dreamcast, PS1, N64, and more)
Allow 3rd party USB controllers/drivers (360 controller support?)
Allow 3rd party bluetooth (Wii controller, sends files from other blutooth devices)

EDIT: HOLY SHIT THERE'S ALREADY EMULATORS?????

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Installing the gh's 3.55 worked fine for me, as did SNES 9x. Just finished up a ~30 minute Bubsy session. :lol

As far as media playback applications are concerned, I'd like to see someone port VLC to the PS3.

Nelo Ice

Banned
cant decide whether i should get a ps3 now thanks to cfw and homebrew or continue to save up and build a proper gaming rig :lol

phosphor112 said:
Has the NPDRM been cracked? Just wondering.

I saw some pokemon shots earlier, so I'd assume so.

You know if there's a mame emulator?

EDIT: wow they have all the emulators I want up and running. Really thinking about JB'ing this bitch getting some old school loving in.

vocab

bdizzle said:
You know if there's a mame emulator?

Final burn alpha aka what ggpo uses is a mame emulator.

CPS2, CPS3 = Super turbo, Jojo's, 3rd strike is all I need.

So answer me this. What is the use for CFW? The instructions in the OP says you need it, but updating JB with OFW doesn't say shit about CFW.

JaseC

vocab said:
So answer me this. What is the CFW? The instructions in the OP says you need it, but updating JB with OFW doesn't say shit about CFW.

The CFW is the jailbreak.zip file at gh's website. Ignore step 2 of the installation instructions as you only need the OFW 3.55 file if you wish to go back to it at a later date (or you may need to update to OFW 3.55 before using CFW 3.55. I'm not sure as I was already running 3.55 when I changed to the CFW. Either way, step 2 is poorly worded.)

vocab said:
So answer me this. What is the use for CFW? The instructions in the OP says you need it, but updating JB with OFW doesn't say shit about CFW.

I am not sure what you are asking. but...

CFW is the only way to het the pkg files onto the PS3. The files would work without CFW, as they are singed, but you need CFW to install them

vocab

JaseC said:
The CFW is the jailbreak.zip file at gh's website. Ignore step 2 of the installation instructions as you only need the OFW 3.55 file if you wish to go back to it at a later date (or you may need to update to OFW 3.55 before using CFW 3.55. I'm not sure as I was already running 3.55 when I changed to the CFW. Either way, step 2 is poorly worded.)

Keyser Soze said:
I am not sure what you are asking. but...

CFW is the only way to het the pkg files onto the PS3. The files would work without CFW, as they are singed, but you need CFW to install them

Alright that makes much more sense. Thanks.

jorma

is now taking requests
well i might buy a slim for this, my old phat model is starting to give up on me anyways now so.. being able to install all my games to hdd would be sweet.

i have a lot invested in psn though, so i'll probably wait a while to see what happens.

Xater

ShockingAlberto said:
Keeping an eye on this, but I'm too afraid of PSN bans to do anything right now.

Same. MKV support and region free Blu-ray down the line would be awesome...

vocab said:
Final burn alpha aka what ggpo uses is a mame emulator.

CPS2, CPS3 = Super turbo, Jojo's, 3rd strike is all I need.

all i want is some WWF Wrestlefest action!!!!!!!!!!!

Spike

I have a hard time believing Sony will ban anyone. I mean, the first clue is that for a while back in November, jailbroken systems were able to play online via PSN as well as download and purchases games and DLC, and no one was banned.

I know that the EULA was changed into allowing them to read the contents of your hard drive, but if you had a jailbroken system, I would guess that it would be as simple as reformat your hard drive and basically start fresh using only the new exploits.

Sophia

tribal24 said:
hmm anyone know why final burn is not reading anything?

It doesn't apparently read off USB drives by default, and no matter where I moved the NeoGeo roms to, I couldn't get it to load anything.

*shrugs*

nofi said:
Curious as to the speed of these emulators? How are they running, 100%?

SNES9x is full speed for virtually everything, as is the NES emulator in Mednafen. The GBA support in Mednafen was iffy, but if VBA's been signed, that's probably full speed too.

I haven't tried Genesisplus yet, but I have no reason to believe it's not full speed as well.

JaseC

nofi said:

Didn't notice any performance issues with Super Mario World and Bubsy in SNES 9x.

nofi said:

All the emulators seem 90%-100% to me. The only thing that needs tweaking is the interface, and they all could look much better visually, but technically they seem great - especially as most of them only have a few months of dev behind them

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Spike said:
VisualBoyAdvance, most likely.

Marrshu said:
VisualBoyAdvance, the GBA emulator. Much better then that all in one emulator.

ahh ok.

Marrshu said:
It doesn't apparently read off USB drives by default, and no matter where I moved the NeoGeo roms to, I couldn't get it to load anything.

hmmm I'm going to have to play with it for a while.

Shaneus

So, I have a phat on 3.41 and a 3.55 slim in my living room. Is everyone doing this on their main PS3 or secondary? I'm not sure if I'm game... yet.

Midas

Shaneus said:
So, I have a phat on 3.41 and a 3.55 slim in my living room. Is everyone doing this on their main PS3 or secondary? I'm not sure if I'm game... yet.

This. I'm wondering if I should do it on my slim or original. The original has some of the PS2 BC so maybe I should use that if something interesting happens in that area. Time to buy a new hard drive though, 500GB? 750GB?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Shaneus said:

I tried it on my main to check it out and reverted, going to have it on the backup unit though.

See how that goes.

Fuck in a bucket that's just so damned awesome! I really wanted to start a re-play of Mother 3 but I didn't want to play it on my laptop so I was think about getting another hdmi cable. Nope, I'm getting a new USB stick in the morning and trying this out on my old ps3

Midas said:
This. I'm wondering if I should do it on my slim or original. The original has some of the PS2 BC so maybe I should use that if something interesting happens in that area. Time to buy a new hard drive though, 500GB? 750GB?
I got a new slim last week and I'm using the jailbreak on my older phat unit. I don't know how Sony may track this so I'm not taking the console online. That said, keep the newer system clear just in case.

Sophia

Shaneus said:

I'm using it on my main and only unit. I really don't care if Sony tries to ban PSN access, because the eventual benefits from Homebrew will be better.

this is ridiculous.

absolutely ridiculous.

Emulators are early but I could see later ones having support for moving rom directories to the hard drive for you. That would be a nice feature.

is there any reason to avoid going online with this if you don't give a shit about being banned from online games?

They can't like revoke content you have already purchased or anything, right?

Shaneus

nec99 said:
Got everything working great now. :) Genesis looks great.
Holy shit... Genesis... with a Saturn pad! Fuuuuuuuck. Life just got awesome.

PS. Thanks for the responses, guys... next question is, do I upgrade my 3.41 to 3.55CFW as well or should I wait until proper downgraders are confirmed?

Wait... I can use (if available) a 3.41CFW yes?

SonOfABeep said:
this is ridiculous.

absolutely ridiculous.

Emulators are early but I could see later ones having support for moving rom directories to the hard drive for you. That would be a nice feature.

is there any reason to avoid going online with this if you don't give a shit about being banned from online games?

They can't like revoke content you have already purchased or anything, right?

This is available via FTP right now, well for SNESx9 at least. Just download the Blackbox pkg for PS3 and the Filezllla FTP client for PC/MAC... start it up. Then put your roms in a new folder you can create in the right hand panel (it can be named anything).

I think some emulators need the folder to be a specific name, but SNESx9 does not care where the files are located. I am goign to try FBANext to see if it works via FTP.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
surely for backup managers, an external USB drive is the way to go? internal upgrades were only done because that was the only thing you could install PSN games to. If homebrew can access a USB drive, just grab a cheap 1TB external drive and use that. 7200rpm too (which I would't put in the PS3)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh and XBMC/boxee on this would be fantastic. I have a mac mini and plex for my main TV, but I'd like something for the spare room. WDTV etc just have shitty front ends unless you mess about with stuff

Kard8p3

mrklaw said:
surely for backup managers, an external USB drive is the way to go? internal upgrades were only done because that was the only thing you could install PSN games to. If homebrew can access a USB drive, just grab a cheap 1TB external drive and use that. 7200rpm too (which I would't put in the PS3)

Can you do this? I just bought a 1TB external hard drive for use with the wii so it would be great if I could also use in with the PS3.

FJ0372

Midas said:

I'm in the same boat (other than the fact that I only have a slim so will have to use it for all the JB goodness). Apologies for my ignorance in advance, but are there any 1TB hard-drives that fit the PS3 Slim? I quite like the idea of, at some point in the future ripping all my PS3 games, homebrew and emulators to one large hard-drive and retiring the blu-ray disks forever (much like the set-up I have with my Wii at the moment). Would it be better to get a large internal or external drive?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Top Bottom