• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

I will be subscribing to this thread, I've longed for the day I could use my ps3 as a true media hub. Once there is homebrew that allows me to play mkvs, high profile avc mkvs with flac, no size limit on files and nfts drive recognition, I will get a second ps3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Before everyone goes bananas, remember you have to install the install data in addition to having the harddrive space for the gamedisc data/backup. So you're looking at MORE than the disc space.

Zoe said:
Yes, the benefits of 7200 are minimal, and you'll be generating more heat.

what about the Momentus XT "SSD Hybrid" would that have noticeable load time improvements over a 5400RPM or standard 7200RPM drive?

jamaniek

whitehawk said:
So... What are the chances of bricking your PS3 by doing this? I think I may wait a while before I try this (let the scene figure things out first), but I hope it isn't too risky.
The chances are rather minimal. It's a normal update operation. Brick info is given just in case.

Zoe

jsnepo said:
I have a question about the backup manager. Let's say you install the game in the internal HDD, what's going to happen if a game requires an install like MGS4 or GTA4? Will it play? Will there be slowdowns?

Games that already offer installs can be iffy. They're usually optimized so the HDD works in tandem with the BD drive. I never saw reports of anything like Halo 3 though.

Infernodash said:
I will be subscribing to this thread, I've longed for the day I could use my ps3 as a true media hub. Once there is homebrew that allows me to play mkvs, high profile avc mkvs with flac, no size limit on files and nfts drive recognition, I will get a second ps3.
My man.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I have about 40 Blu-ray games. How much data would everything be about? Can I assume 20gb per game? Most of them are exclusive Sony studio games too so wondering if I should buy a 1tb 2.5 inch internal drive or a 2tb external drive

Shaneus

That's only GT though, where the game uses data from both disc and HDD. A better test would be a game from PSN (say, LBP) compared on each drive as that's basically all it'll be running off.

Chris R

Didn't WD just come out with a 750GB BLACK drive a few days ago?

Just got a 250GB drive for my 360 to install games, now I'll do the same for my PS3. Going to wait for a nice benchmark to see exactly which drive offers the best reduction in overall load times though, well that and to see how Sony reacts. Backup loader was probably the only thing I wanted from all of this.

Tain said:
Can you update BACK to OFW after installing CFW?

Yes. Just do the same thing you did to JB but instead use the official 3.55 update. However, at this time we don't know if there will be any traces left for Sony to see.

commissar said:
If I'm going to use it for more than just PS3 games and blu ray then it's time to get a more energy efficient ps3 slim.

Yup. I have a 80gig MGS4 unit. Its a couple of years old and has been fantastic but I can see it starting to get a little long in the tooth. I will definitely be buying a slim before they bring out new hardware and use that as my main console and the phat as my homebrew machine.

Shaneus

LovingSteam said:
Yes. Just do the same thing you did to JB but instead use the official 3.55 update. However, at this time we don't know if there will be any traces left for Sony to see.
Could one just install the OFW, leave it for a bit, put the CFW back on and browse the contents of the drive?

Speaking of which, has anyone worked out yet how to browse a PS3 HDD on a PC? I would've thought with all this hacking and cracking that they would've been able to decrypt the format of the HDD.

Zeal

Banned
i cannot even imagine the custom UIs that will come from this. it's like the xbox1 days with a v12 for horsepower.

Canova

Banned
help a noob, I have the 40GB version, with 3.55 installed

so I did the first part, this part

How to Jailbreak PlayStation 3 on 3.55

Step 1: Plug a USB stick into your computer
Step 2: Download PS3UPDAT.PUP file.
Step 3: Create folder PS3 and then create folder UPDATE inside it.
Step 4: Unzip Jailbreak.zip. Take PS3UPDAT.PUP and place file in /PS3/UPDATE/ folder of your USB drive.
Step 5: Connect the USB device and select “System Update.”
Step 6: Choose Update via Storage Media
Step 7: It will say it found Version 3.55-jb
Step 8: Choose OK
Step 9: Accept Conditions and Install Update
Step 10: Power up your PS3 (You will have to do it on the console and not by the controller)

I powered it back up, then go to system setting-->system info

but the version still says version 3.55, not 3.55-jb, does that mean it didn't update properly?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
canova said:

but the version still says version 3.55, not 3.55-jb, does that mean it didn't update properly?

It's fine. Check for the package installer.

jamaniek

canova said:

There should be an "Install Package Files" option in the game section.

teiresias

This is so tempting me to buy a Slim for online activity just so I can use my current PS3-fat to do the homebrew stuff on and just not go online with it ever again.

Canova

Banned
Dani said:
It's fine. Check for the package installer.

ok, I found the folder Intall Package Files under the game icon, but it's empty.

I guess I can move on to the second part, right? :D

angelfly said:
signed it myself :D
dng8eb.jpg

edit: link to pkg file http://www.multiupload.com/65L9C3LF6K

Also since I went to the trouble of setting up the f0 and geohot tools does anyone have any request for packages to sign?
Holy pole dancing Christ, do you just....I can play.... on my PS3
oh no
oh no
oh YEAH!

I officially owe you one handmade sandwich.

Speevy

Banned
Just remember that because of the way your accounts are tied to your system, Sony could theoretically ban every account that is tied to a system that does this.

So in other words, if I use Speevyaccount1 to buy/download games, then I buy another PS3 to do this, I can't ever use that account or the games that are tied to it.

Once you activate your account on a new system, they know who you are and what you've been doing.

0_0

Shaneus

Speevy said:
Just remember that because of the way your accounts are tied to your system, Sony could theoretically ban every account that is tied to a system that does this.

So in other words, if I use Speevyaccount1 to buy/download games, then I buy another PS3 to do this, I can't ever use that account or the games that are tied to it.

Once you activate your account on a new system, they know who you are and what you've been doing.

0_0
They could've done that with the 360 as well but they didn't. I very much doubt they'll ban accounts that have PSN data (that they get revenue from) from spending more money.

holmes182

Neo Member
Shaneus said:
Anyone know whether there's the capability of modifying pre-existing PS3 software? I doubt anyone's as keen as I am to open up the Australian PlayTV software but the version we get is severely gimped in comparison to the UK one. If not that, do we know what the chances are of getting a working FTP client up-and-running on CFW?

These may be answered already in this thread but I only just found out it existed :(

Would be great if this could be done. Enable series link, 1 minute FF.........

Yoboman

Speevy said:

0_0
I don't think it'll be as easy as all that unless Sony have had such information streams tied in since the beginning. We don't even know yet if they will be able to tell at all if a PS3 has been hacked

Flink

I'm running 3.40 right now - do I have to install the official 3.55 first, and THEN apply all this? Or can I just do it all in one go? Sorry, I haven't been following this stuff, and it's confusing. I'm not the brightest :)

tafer

If these stuff let me recover 10 years (ps1, ps2 and ps3) of save data from my dead ps3, I'll find and kiss anything the author wants me to. :lol

I'm serious.

Shaneus

holmes182 said:
Would be great if this could be done. Enable series link, 1 minute FF.........
That's exactly what I was thinking... series link, return to all FF options and HDD transfer (maybe even to an NTFS drive!).

I have the original PlayTV disc so in the very least, I'll be able to have a play around with that. Knowing how most software has been developed, chances are everything we need will be in an ini file :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
tafer said:
If these stuff let me recover 10 years (ps1, ps2 and ps3) of save data from my dead ps3, I'll find and kiss anything the author wants me to. :lol

I'm serious.

You can pull the whole harddrive if you use the FTP application, but that requires your PS3 to at least be able to turn on and be upgraded to install the FTP application.

tafer

TheSeks said:
You can pull the whole harddrive if you use the FTP application, but that requires your PS3 to at least be able to turn on and be upgraded to install the FTP application.

Good old friend YLOD, revived, and finally died (YLOD "revival" tricks no longer work) when I was setting up the transfer util... :lol

I wish I was kidding :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
With the PS3 emulating the PSP for Minis, I'd hope that a PSP emulator wouldn't be too much to hope for. I'd love to go back to playing MHFU, but my PSP's screen is kinda in bad condition. Playing it on my TV with a DS3 would be amazing (PSPGo can do that, yeah yeah, that's not the point).

Shaneus

tafer said:

I'm serious.
I posted it before, but I'm hoping this will allow decryption of any (all?) PS3 HDDs. I don't know whether they used the same "key" or it's somehow possible to work out the formula for it, but I'm sure it's now more possible than ever.

Fingers crossed!

Yoboman

Seraphis Cain said:
With the PS3 emulating the PSP for Minis, I'd hope that a PSP emulator wouldn't be too much to hope for. I'd love to go back to playing MHFU, but my PSP's screen is kinda in bad condition. Playing it on my TV with a DS3 would be amazing (PSPGo can do that, yeah yeah, that's not the point).
Hmm thats interesting, can anyone do a bit of reverse engineering now that PS3 is cracked open?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm the opposite of an expert... but i have heard the PSP mini emulator on PS3 can only handle simple games?

Top Bottom