• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

tborsje said:
There already is, you need to use Rebug firmware and change the ps3's region in the debug settings menu.
I have a Jap PS3 and changed the settings to Australia, it swapped the 'x=cancel o=ok' controls scheme to the normal western mapping and allowed me to playback region 4 PAL DVDs. The only drawback is that every time you change it you have to reset your video output options.

Does that mean they haven't actually cracked the region code stuff but you just switch the "region" of the entire firmware to the one you currently need? (the official firmware is the same for everyone and therefore contains all the special stuff for the different regions, it checks the model of the PS3 and uses the corresponding "version").

CPS2

I have CFW and just noticed that all my PSN games have either stopped working or reverted to trial versions. Haven't been online since getting CFW. Is there an easy way to have my games go back to working?

Majmun

How's the 4GB+ files compatibility now? Have there been released some solutions to make those games run anyway? I want to backup my NIER game, but can't.

yurinka

Second said:
How's the 4GB+ files compatibility now? Have there been released some solutions to make those games run anyway? I want to backup my NIER game, but can't.
As I remember they implemented NTFS support, so this would be solved.

god damn, friend screwed up my ps3 by turning it off when it was writing to the hdd and it wouldnt turn on. had to restore settings for it, it's all on and working but the trophy set is corrupt for my profile. won't even let me start most games now unless i create a new profile :(

anyone got a solution?

Second said:

My understanding is you have to store the game data on your internal HDD (easily accomplished via ftp) and then you can run files of any size. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Maddog

Machado said:
there's a new version of multiman 1.17.3 but I didn't want to install it before knowing what's new.

anyone tried it?

Changelog:

Initial public release of XMB display mode
Favorites column in XMB mode
Playback of video files from VIDEO column in XMB mode
Playback of audio files from MUSIC column in XMB mode
FreeType Font support and legend for slide-coverflow display mode
Stability improvements

N.A

Banned
Machado said:
it displays in the XMB or it has its own XMB???

any pictures?

It's just XMB styled:

dm8g2x.jpg

tborsje said:
There already is, you need to use Rebug firmware and change the ps3's region in the debug settings menu.
I have a Jap PS3 and changed the settings to Australia, it swapped the 'x=cancel o=ok' controls scheme to the normal western mapping and allowed me to playback region 4 PAL DVDs. The only drawback is that every time you change it you have to reset your video output options.

I wonder if this works for ps2 games.

N.A

Banned
squarepusher is currently working on an update to ScummVM that should improve compatibility. He is also updating FCEU with the latest features form his other ports (dual shaders, custom soundtracks etc.)

N.A

Banned
multiMAN 1.17.04 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/MultiMAN

01.17.03/4

Initial public release of XMB display mode
Favorites column in XMB mode
Playback of video files from VIDEO column in XMB mode
Playback of audio files from MUSIC column in XMB mode
FreeType Font support and legend for slide-coverflow display mode
Clean-edged freetype fonts in all modes but one
Stability improvements

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The newest builds of multiman don't need a lv2 patcher or any other nonsense run before using it anymore, right?

Hyllian

Hi, I have emulator shader news,

One new CRT shader was made in this thread for bsnes. So I ported to cg and it's working with Snes9x. This new CRT is better than the currently version on PS3.

Besides, I've made some advances in my xBR shaders and will release some versions for 2xBR, 3xBR and 4xBR.

I've made some new box shaders. These box shaders put the image in 10:7 aspect ratio, which work marvelous with the new CRT (and oldies too) in Plasmas/LCDs/LEDs. So I made some presets using these new shaders.

They're intended to work full speed on Snes9x.

The pack is here: New CRT and xBR shaders + presets

One last thing: these box shaders only work ok with Snes9x and FCEU GX (after the next release). You have to put them into the boxed folders. So, for example, the "stock-box-4x-aspect-10-7.cg" must be put into the "4x-boxed" folder and so on.

One seconde last thing :p : When using the boxed presets, don't forget to choose "stretched" in the scale option (it's the only way to run in 10:7).

Sew

I tend to run 'stock' or no filters (I'm a blocky pixel fan) but I just wanted to say that I appreciate your work and like reading about it in this thread :) I'll make a point of trying that release out when I can - although I'll always revert to stock, I do love a good CRT filter.

Emitan

Man, I still can't believe there's no way to get this 3.56 PS3 Fat I bought off eBay to have custom firmware :(

But it's a launch 80GB and only cost me $150 so I can't really complain.

Gvaz

Banned
I don't have any music or videos and it takes about 3 seconds for me. this is with 16GB left on a 250GB drive

GAF, I want to start archiving my DVD collection digitally, either onto my portable usb drive or if possible, right onto my PS3's hdd. Are there any useful applications that can help me rip my discs into moderately-sized video files (I'm okay with AVIs or the like, just not MKVs... Showtime on my PS3 seems to stutter MKVs badly). Any help at all to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
since I went CFW, my ylod problem has vanished. I mean I was getting ylod while I was installing this CFW and now I can run the ps3 all day with no shut downs. viva CFW!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
jobber said:
since I went CFW, my ylod problem has vanished. I mean I was getting ylod while I was installing this CFW and now I can run the ps3 all day with no shut downs. viva CFW!

How is that even possible? YLOD is a hardware issue, software can't fix that, no matter how good it is.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
HaRyu said:
How is that even possible? YLOD is a hardware issue, software can't fix that, no matter how good it is.

I have no idea. Even after reflow, I'd be lucky if the ps3 stayed on long enough to sign in to psn. Now I've had it on for 5-6 hours straight and no issues. Like I said earlier, I was getting ylod before I could even install the cfw correctly. Since then, not a problem.

tborsje

A new CFW that dual boots GameOS and OtherOS directly from the bootloader has been released.

http://gitbrew.org/otheros/

Features:

* Into HV integrated OtherOS bootloader loader (compatible with OtherOS bootloader on 3.15)
* OtherOS bootloader is booted directly from HV, no GameOS is involved.
* Process of booting OtherOS bootloader loader is very similar to 3.15 method
* Booting Linux from HDD/USB/BD/Network
* Linux with GameOS rights
* Full access to all HV SS services (Dispatcher Manager) from GameOS or Linux
* Full access to all System Manager services
* Ability to create/modify/remove repository nodes in LPAR 1 (e.g. with ps3dm-utils or ps3hvc-utils).
This ability gives you much power over the whole system because many layers of PS3 use repository nodes to exchange information.
* Enabled QA mode in Update Manager
* Downgrading without USB dongle or Service Mode
* Ability to deactivate/activate HDD/VFLASH encryption (e.g. with ps3stor-utils)
* Support for ps3-utils. You can flash new OtherOS bootloader from Linux e.g.

This is still really for Linux enthusiasts, at least until a ready-to-boot image of a custom distro is released with it (which the author states is a WIP).

SS4Rob

I'm still running 3.15 firmware because I didn't want to lose OtherOS, which I actually use. As I understand, the highest custom firmwares are based on 3.55 (not the latest), none connect to PSN (obligatory joke here) and none of them reenable OtherOS. Will this OtherOS++ finally get me back to using the PS3 for recent and (eventually) PSN with keeping my Linux OS?

test_account

XP-39C²
So basically this is like OtherOS was/is, that you boot Linux through the PS3 GameOS?

Does it run any better than OtherOS did/does? Do you now have access to the PS3 GPU?

Portal is a bummer for me at the moment. Not gonna buy the inferior 360 version. If there is no solution when Catherine comes out, I might have to go back.

MMaRsu

Banned
schennmu said:
Portal is a bummer for me at the moment. Not gonna buy the inferior 360 version. If there is no solution when Catherine comes out, I might have to go back.

Portal is certainly a bummer, thank god I god to play a bit of it on my friends PC.

La Noire I can wait on, but I just hope 3.60 comes out soon or a fix for Portal and La Noire..

test_account

XP-39C²
Machado said:
why is the bolded importannt? what can be achieved with it?
Without access to the GPU, Linux will run much slower. This is one of the problems with the original OtherOS, everything has to be done via the the CPU, which made Linux run slow. It is hardly capable of playing movies for example. But if it had full access to the GPU, then it would have no problems to play movies :)

Come to think of it, i mean to have read that people now do have access to the GPU in the PS3, but no one have made any drivers for it yet, so the result (running slower) will still be the same.

wsippel

Banned
test_account said:
So basically this is like OtherOS was/is, that you boot Linux through the PS3 GameOS?

Does it run any better than OtherOS did/does? Do you now have access to the PS3 GPU?
"Linux with GameOS rights" - so yes, I would say you have full access to everything, including the GPU.

test_account

XP-39C²
wsippel said:
"Linux with GameOS rights" - so yes, I would say you have full access to everything, including the GPU.
But does this mean that the can fully utilize the GPU in Linux? Maybe they have full access to the GPU, which is one step closer, but if they cant utilize the GPU, it wont really help much. I wrote a bit poorly earlier, but i was wondering if they can fully utilize the GPU in Linux on PS3 now :) And i also thought that "GameOS rights" was more about being able to boot Linux directly from GameOS, like the way OtherOS works.

Top Bottom