• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

squicken

The main reason I'm running CFW is for playing off the HDD. That said, if no one out there is still engaged in updating the CFW, I'll just have to accept that my Bluray drive will die soon and go back to OFW. I have no interest in buying a 3 disk version of LA Noire. If no one has made any progress by that game's release, I'll assume the CFW scene is dead

I own the PC version of Portal 2, but you figure that such a prominent release would have encouraged some movement. I really have to wonder if the guys who made the current cfw were just marginally talented coders who piggybacked on the real crackers

MMaRsu

Banned
squicken said:
The main reason I'm running CFW is for playing off the HDD. That said, if no one out there is still engaged in updating the CFW, I'll just have to accept that my Bluray drive will die soon and go back to OFW. I have no interest in buying a 3 disk version of LA Noire. If no one has made any progress by that game's release, I'll assume the CFW scene is dead

I own the PC version of Portal 2, but you figure that such a prominent release would have encouraged some movement. I really have to wonder if the guys who made the current cfw were just marginally talented coders who piggybacked on the real crackers

Oh come on, what a load of shit. The scene won't be dead, people just have a hard time decrypting 3.60.

Gvaz

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Oh come on, what a load of shit. The scene won't be dead, people just have a hard time decrypting 3.60.
No it has nothing to do about too hard, its just that there's only about 10 people, maybe 20 tops working on ps3 hacking and everyone else just sits back (like me) because they can't hack anything for shit or aren't interested in the time investment to do so.

They can run their dumb little linux crap so they're happy and don't want to bother with it.

squicken

MMaRsu said:

Oh I'm sure that Dean will keep updating Multiman, and improvements will be made with Showtime and even Linux. But as far as cracking the 3.60 and beyond, I'm just starting to think that the people who actually know how to do the really hard stuff are out. Not that kmeaw etc are bums, just that their work was derivative of people who really knew their shit.

Gvaz

Banned
according to matt, all the FW now are just a derivative of the debug firmware and some xml editing. It doesn't sound like a lot of work.

Also the difference here is that sony is suing people left and right, whereas you don't see any suing going on in wii, xbox, ds (except in cart manufacturers), or psp.

squicken said:
Oh I'm sure that Dean will keep updating Multiman, and improvements will be made with Showtime and even Linux. But as far as cracking the 3.60 and beyond, I'm just starting to think that the people who actually know how to do the really hard stuff are out. Not that kmeaw etc are bums, just that their work was derivative of people who really knew their shit.

I thought they have been working on the hack but are biding their time releasing a 3.6 hack because sony will patch any exploits immediately. If I were them I would at least wait until LA Noire and Infamous were out.

MMaRsu

Banned
squicken said:

I know but I have a pretty nice backlog and I can wait on L.A Noire despite how much I want it. I'll never buy a 3 disc game for 360, and I didn't want to buy it new anyway because of all the retailer exclusive bullshit so I don't mind, I'll wait.

N.A

Banned
multiMAN 02.00.00 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/MultiMAN

Fully working XMMB display mode (XMB clone)
Editable options in "Settings" column of XMMB mode
Game Covers and Game Poster in XMMB Game column
Improved XMMB scrolling, speed and reliability
"Themes" option in "multiMAN/Home" XMMB column
Changed options/options_default.ini
Direct Boot method changed
SELECT+X auto-sets BD-Mirror option and is remembered
A lot of other stuff

Smack Fu

I have a PS3 but it is updated to 3.61 (or whatever the current version is).
If I was to get a 2nd PS3 (new one in stores) What version does it come stock with?
Would I be able to buy a new one with 3.55 or below now? (at best buy if that helps)
I would like to get it for the modding and keep my old one for online and what not (when it comes back up)

N.A

Banned
Rabid Wolverine said:
What does bdrom-reset.pkg do?

Just noticed on multiman 2.0.

It's just a package for resetting some settings, it's not needed.

Smack Fu said:
I have a PS3 but it is updated to 3.61 (or whatever the current version is).
If I was to get a 2nd PS3 (new one in stores) What version does it come stock with?
Would I be able to buy a new one with 3.55 or below now? (at best buy if that helps)
I would like to get it for the modding and keep my old one for online and what not (when it comes back up)

Pretty sure most consoles in stores are 3.50 or 3.55.

Machado said:
"Direct Boot method"

what is that? what does it do?

Boots the game without going back to the XMB first, compatibility is very poor though.

test_account

XP-39C²
endlessflood said:
I get a bit nervous when he talks about making major changes to the way certain things boot. The current version of Multiman works so bloody well that I wonder if there's enough of an upside to take a risk on the new version.
Cant you just install the old version again if you dont like the new version better?

test_account said:
Cant you just install the old version again if you dont like the new version better?
I was mostly concerned for my friend who has a PS3 with a dead laser. I'd have to go over there, install it, and then test it with all of his games again. Bit of a pain in the arse, especially if it turns out that the new method doesn't work with all of his games. But I've just realised that launching from apps/home (or whatever it is) doesn't equate to direct booting so nvm, my mistake :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there really no way to get Netflix going? I found out recently that PSN access isn't needed, it just asks then forgets about it, but I have the new version that asks for 3.60.

test_account

XP-39C²
endlessflood said:
I was mostly concerned for my friend who has a PS3 with a dead laser. I'd have to go over there, install it, and then test it with all of his games again. Bit of a pain in the arse, especially if it turns out that the new method doesn't work with all of his games. But I've just realised that launching from apps/home (or whatever it is) doesn't equate to direct booting so nvm, my mistake :)
Ah ok, i understand. I thought that maybe you ment some problems could happened if you upgraded to a new version (that if you tried to go back to an old version, there would be problems). So i just had to ask about it :)

Chesskid1

Banned
anyone remember cobra-usb? that thingy that supposedly allows ps1/blu-ray movies playback from HDD that was supposed to come out a month ago?

they have updated their website with the release of the files/firmware for their dongle (though probably encrypted), so it must be shipping out now.

http://www.cobra-usb.com/download.html

here we go folks :)

MMaRsu

Banned
So Brink has been patched to work on 3.55, useless ofcourse because you can only play SP. But I'm more interested in how they patched it, since I really want to buy Portal 2.

And since Brink and Portal 2 are both 3.60 games..

they patched it with the brink game update v1.01 from psn, it's made with firmware 3.50 like most other game updates for newer games. i hope la noire has a day 1 patch.

Up until now I've had my CFW PS3 off the net completely. However, with things like multiMAN's ability to download covers, patches, and PS3 themes sites I'm starting to wonder if maybe I shouldn't just get my PS3 back onto the net. My main concern is the ability of Sony to somehow remove my ability to run CFW or do something else to my console remotely. Is there any basis to those fears? Also does anyone have the actual IP's that I should block to stay on the safe side? I don't want or need to connect to the PSN from my CFW machine apart from downloading game updates.

N.A

Banned
endlessflood said:
Up until now I've had my CFW PS3 off the net completely. However, with things like multiMAN's ability to download covers, patches, and PS3 themes sites I'm starting to wonder if maybe I shouldn't just get my PS3 back onto the net. My main concern is the ability of Sony to somehow remove my ability to run CFW or do something else to my console remotely. Is there any basis to those fears? Also does anyone have the actual IP's that I should block to stay on the safe side? I don't want or need to connect to the PSN from my CFW machine apart from downloading game updates.

The URLs to block in your router are in the OP.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
endlessflood said:

Nothing will happen.

I haven't been keeping up with PS3 hacking for quite some time. My PS3 is currently running 3.41 and I still have a programmable dongle, but with LA Noire around the corner and possibly some free mea culpa games from Sony I'm considering just upgrading to OFW unless there's some compelling reason for me not to. I upgraded my hdd to 500GB in the hopes I'd be able to back up PS1/2/3 games as well as bluray movies on there but so far looks like that's not the case or at least not without significant hassle. My other concern is that the last time I messed with backing up my games it corrupted my hdd and I lost all my saves. Have these issues been ironed out? Is there a "safe" OFW that will leave me the option of going back to CFW later on?

mikespit1200 said:
I haven't been keeping up with PS3 hacking for quite some time. My PS3 is currently running 3.41 and I still have a programmable dongle, but with LA Noire around the corner and possibly some free mea culpa games from Sony I'm considering just upgrading to OFW unless there's some compelling reason for me not to. I upgraded my hdd to 500GB in the hopes I'd be able to back up PS1/2/3 games as well as bluray movies on there but so far looks like that's not the case or at least not without significant hassle. My other concern is that the last time I messed with backing up my games it corrupted my hdd and I lost all my saves. Have these issues been ironed out? Is there a "safe" OFW that will leave me the option of going back to CFW later on?

Only safe OFW is 3.55. Anything beyond that and you can forget about installing CFW.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I want to buy LA Noire on Tuesday, but I guess I won't be able to play it until they make a patch. How does the patch work, can you still use a disk or do you have to rip it to Multiman?

Aklamarth

You can still use the disk if you want. Btw The Brink situation was an accident....i wouldn't count on new games having 3.5x patches. From now on is 3.60 all the way.

Chesskid1

Banned
yeah LA Noire has like a 1 week from release date (or till i beat witcher 2) to be fixed, or i'm updating to 3.60. i wouldn't have to usually but my 360 died a few weeks back.

if i have to update, it's been a pleasure serving with you guys.

mattiewheels

Aklamarth said:
You can still use the disk if you want. Btw The Brink situation was an accident....i wouldn't count on new games having 3.5x patches. From now on is 3.60 all the way.
So do you think a patch for it will be easy to come up with? I'm clueless about all this stuff, is it kind of analogous to patching new games on cfw psp?

MMaRsu

Banned
mattiewheels said:
So do you think a patch for it will be easy to come up with? I'm clueless about all this stuff, is it kind of analogous to patching new games on cfw psp?
I think as soon as a patch comes they can make it work on 3.55. I thought that was also the key with SOCOM4? And now Brink.

I would love to buy La Noire but I can wait.

N.A said:
The URLs to block in your router are in the OP.
The reason I asked for actual IP addresses is because Sony could decide to play silly buggers and mess with their DNS entries... I was wondering if anyone had the full range of IP addresses that Sony might actually be able to call on. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid here.

Big One

Banned
Just a question: Is there any custom themes for the PS3 yet? And I don't mean custom icons and whatnot, but actually altering the whole XMB to look completely different. The PSP is capable of this nowadays with some really smooth, minimalistic themes and I'd love something like that on my PS3.

N.A

Banned
endlessflood said:
The reason I asked for actual IP addresses is because Sony could decide to play silly buggers and mess with their DNS entries... I was wondering if anyone had the full range of IP addresses that Sony might actually be able to call on. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid here.

Just block the URLs, your router will then stop any connection before it reaches any DNS server. Sony can't change these URLs without a firmware update.

Just a question: Is there any custom themes for the PS3 yet? And I don't mean custom icons and whatnot, but actually altering the whole XMB to look completely different. The PSP is capable of this nowadays with some really smooth, minimalistic themes and I'd love something like that on my PS3.

Not yet.

N.A

Banned
multiMAN 02.00.01 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/MultiMAN

XMMB mode:

Game poster/background loads/shows 2x faster now
Game poster is crisp and unaltered
All texts in XMMB are smooth and easy to read with bright backgrounds
All texts got small shadow to improve visibility
Favorites column shows game icons
Fave star applied to game icons in Favorites column
Clock and column title more visible and better looking
Cover overlay image (GLC.PNG) applied to cover in XMMB mode, too
Added image background for theme selection (10x to condor) (pop up can be moved with analogue sticks)
Fixed: time/date format changes immediately (not after 30 seconds)
Fixed 'favorites' column (showing stuff when no faves selected)
Added option in SETTINGS column to disable "Theme Audio"
"Title Details" option in SETTINGS column to change 4x2, 8x4, cover flow and Box-art modes (title/+id/+title count/none)
Fixed Mouse X/Y deadzone setting
Fixed PHOTO column populates properly from USB storage (/PICTURE folder)
Changed: "Verifying USB Games" option: [Always/Auto/Never]
Added new function in SETTINGS column "Clean Game Cache"
Added selection list menu to clear Game Data for specific Game
Favorites selection remembered when going out of game-settings submenu
Added support for SDHC/MemoryStick/CompactFlash storage for MUSIC/PHOTO/VIDEO columns in XMMB mode
Added: SDHC, CF and MS icons in PHOTO/VIDEO/MUSIC XMMB mode
Added: multiple strategies for mounting titles using all available methods

Other:

Changed: options are saved on exit (not each time you change a setting in SETTINGS column)
Changed boot procedure (EBOOT.BIN is just 50KB and it launches main multiMAN app RELOAD.SELF)
"Mouse X/Y deadzone" can go up to 90%
"Dim titles" setting can go up to 10 seconds
Changed top-menu in File Manager
Fixed "DIRECT BOOT" from external USB HDD
Changed: "Overscan" application (much better than before)
All texts in FileMan mode look better now
Added support for SND0.AT3 in themes
Added option BD-Emulator (to switch between Standard (syscall36) / Hermes (syscall8) / None)
Added support for MFW 3.41 (BD-Emulator option: Hermes (syscall8)
Added support for playing games with split big files from USB HDD (up to 10 BIG 4+GB files supported):
- Caching split files to internal HDD for unlimited number of titles
- Playing games with split files works with "Direct Boot" and "BD Mirror" options, too.
- Launching games with split files works from Disc Icon and /app_home
Added new option in "Game Settings" submenu: "Ext Game Data" (install game data on external USB)
Fixed: garbled screen in File Manager when Help/About selected while coming from another display mode
Fixed: changing current game for game modes while browsing XMMB display mode
Removed: sparks/stars from slide-coverflow mode
File Manager top menu text color is defined by COLOR.INI FMFILE setting
Added: Vertical alignment for title/title+id in some modes when "Title Details" option requires it

jcm

endlessflood said:

Sony is moving the PSN to a new datacenter, so the IPs will likely be changing anyway.

Mathieulh, an underground hacker, has released two videos showcasing retail consoles which have been converted to special quality assurance consoles. He has managed to set a special QA flag in his console which unlocks a secret Quality Assurance menu. In the video he showcases some very unique options which typically are only available in Sony's QA Centers and their R&D Department. In one of the videos he also demonstrates how Sony officially downgrades their consoles using these QA options. Unfortunately, Mathieulh is infamous for not releasing his methods and has stayed true to form with this latest development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzQLseA_ynU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-kqkRYPAak

Mathieulh:

@dantezteam It’s an UNMODIFIED RETAIL FIRMWARE.
@KaKaRoToKS For various reasons, one of them being that you can warez with this, and the flag stays even after updating.
@KaKaRoToKS The QA flag happens to remove a bunch of restrictions that have the side effect of preventing you to warez.
@dantezteam The console is QA flagged, The firmware checks for this flag and will enable special features when it finds it.
@dantezteam Basically it’s what Sony themselves use to allow special debugging on their consoles and loosen restrictions.

@KaKaRoToKS By the way, Advanced QA flag enables downgrading, just my 2 cents… xD

lol @ some of the youtube comments.

so, no more waiting for a cfw 3.60?

test_account

XP-39C²
Wax Free Vanilla said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzQLseA_ynU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-kqkRYPAak

lol @ some of the youtube comments.

so, no more waiting for a cfw 3.60?
I wonder why Mathieulh is being referred to an underground hacker. I thought his real name was quite known etc. and he makes public statements. Doesnt seem too underground to me :)

But regardless of that, Mathieulh claims to have had the 3.60 keys for over a month now (or is it over 2 months?), but still nothing have happened in regards of CFW 3.60. So i dont think that he will rush to release anything like this (QA flags). Maybe someone else will find out how to do it though. I also wonder how this is possible on unmodified retail firmware. Is it some kind of hidden "cheat code" that you enter on the XMB that enables these options? Hehe.

I also think that this is something that can be fixed in a future firmware update. But we will see what happeneds :)

Disc auto start on system start up. I remember when that used to be an option in retail firmware.

Anyway, is there any option in there that can get rid of ps2 region lock? "Remove game license"?

Top Bottom