• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

test_account

XP-39C²
H_Prestige said:
Disc auto start on system start up. I remember when that used to be an option in retail firmware.
When and why was this feature removed? I remember disabling the option back in the days anyway, but i'm just wondering why it was removed =)

test_account

XP-39C²
I see now that in the Youtube description that Mathieulh says that it is actually is a button combination that gives you these settings. If that is true, then that it is pretty crazy. I wonder what he means with "along with the actual flag" though.

These are the same settings that are available at the 3.60 debug firmware by the way (it seems to be default on debug firmware and not hidden features, but i might be wrong):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqcexHSZsuk

The only difference is that Mathieulh's video also have "install package files" under the debug setting.

H_Prestige said:
All I see now is option for auto start when inserting a disc, not on system start up if a disc is already in.

Ahh that, yeah that was removed. Misunderstood what you said.

Tbh I'm glad it was removed, although they could have made it another option. When I put a disc in it's because I want it to boot but when I turn on my PS3 I don't always want to boot what's already on the drive. Seems logical.

causan

Awesome new "media cabinet" theme for Multiman from shagratt71:

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/media-cabinet-construction-kit-v1-0-release-86463/

27042d1305215094-media-cabinet-construction-kit-v1-0-preview-screenshot.jpg

27045d1305215123-media-cabinet-construction-kit-v1-0-preview-4x29.jpg

27046d1305215136-media-cabinet-construction-kit-v1-0-preview-8x41.jpg

Would love to have a CFW themed like this.

Sew

Multiman upgraded and above theme installed. Very nice. I was a bit behind on Multiman updates and hadn't even seen the XMB mode before - simply brilliant.

In terms of the sites in the OP that we should block: what protocol does the PS3 use to connect to them? Is it FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, something else?

S. L.

test_account said:
I see now that in the Youtube description that Mathieulh says that it is actually is a button combination that gives you these settings. If that is true, then that it is pretty crazy. I wonder what he means with "along with the actual flag" though.
the console needs to have the debug flag internally. to have the advanced debug options show up you need to enter a button combo. pretty clear imo?

test_account

XP-39C²
S. L. said:
the console needs to have the debug flag internally. to have the advanced debug options show up you need to enter a button combo. pretty clear imo?
When i wrote that post i didnt know what the flag stuff was about, but i checked up on it later on over at PSX-Scene.com. I didnt think about editing my previous post about this. But thanks for the info anyway :)

But i guess that you still need to do some modification to the firmware for this to work then? I mean, it isnt possible to just have firmware 3.60 installed and then do some very easy stuff to enable these debug settings?

EDIT: I guess so. The "on a unmodified retail firmware" comment made me think that it could be done without having installed any custom firmware to begin with, but i guess that you need to do that first to enable the flag.

zychi

Banned
Just to clarify, in order to ditch CFW, you need to reformat and then go into recovery mode and boot up 3.5x correct? Now that PSN is back up I'm gonna ditch it so I can finally play SOCOM4

causan

StuBurns said:
I don't know why, but the Portal 2 spine being inaccurate is irritating.

What's awesome about this theme is that shagratt71 included a "construction kit" which is just a photoshop file that allows you to edit and change things around. I replaced the picture frame pictures with ones of my kids and they got a kick out of it.

I'm still on 3.55 OFW and waiting for some kind of killer feature, but the wait is getting harder and harder, now that the PSN is up again. I usually never play online, but I can't access some GT5 features without it and the offline game is getting pretty boring. Ugh, most ... not ... upgrade. :lol

zychi said:
Just to clarify, in order to ditch CFW, you need to reformat and then go into recovery mode and boot up 3.5x correct? Now that PSN is back up I'm gonna ditch it so I can finally play SOCOM4

I'd like a refresher on this as well. I'm considering switching back over to OFW. Homebrew's been nice, but outside of the backup manager I haven't utilized much else. And L.A. Noire drops tomorrow.

Switched back to OFW yesterday. Feels good man.

It was a fun experiment, but it started really crippling my enjoyment of the PS3, so there's no reason to carry on.

The tutorial is in the CFW Wiki. No need to format anything.

S. L.

if i upgrade back to ofw, is it possible to take my locked saves with me? (GT5!!!)
like doing a system backup and restoring on the ofw, or some other voodoo?

Massa

S. L. said:
if i upgrade back to ofw, is it possible to take my locked saves with me? (GT5!!!)
like doing a system backup and restoring on the ofw, or some other voodoo?

Unless you used some tool to manually edit those files I don't see why they wouldn't work.

S. L.

Massa said:
Unless you used some tool to manually edit those files I don't see why they wouldn't work.
oh wait you are right, i was under the impression that you can't copy locked saves to an usb stick :D

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, I'm having a serious debate about going back to OFW....having gorgeous 1080p emulators of all the oldschool stuff and multiman being so great (that new theme is really great too) and knowing that new stuff is around the corner VS playing LA Noire and getting back on PSN to claim those free games among other things.

I thought I might just buy a new slim but I'm trying to justify the cost of it.

MMaRsu

Banned
megateto said:
Does anybody know anything about this? They seem to have a way to jailbreak 3.60, but something seems fishy (me finding about this before other gaffers, for one).

http://ps3-jail-break.blogspot.com/

Ugh that's like an old video or something of a dude running on a dev kit I believe. Or it's like that math guy, but he doesn't release anything.

Sew

In theory, yeah. But there is no current port, it would probably take hundres/thousands of coding hours to optimise it for the PS3, and it would never match up to PC performance. So the blunt realist answer is, nah.

Sew said:
In theory, yeah. But there is no current port, it would probably take hundres/thousands of coding hours to optimise it for the PS3, and it would never match up to PC performance. So the blunt realist answer is, nah.

Thanks. I thought it was a pipe-dream.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
One thing I'm wondering about going OFW is, can I keep my emulators and make it so it's not a problem with PSN?

linkboy

mattiewheels said:
One thing I'm wondering about going OFW is, can I keep my emulators and make it so it's not a problem with PSN?

The emulators will work on OFW, however, the PS3 sends info back to Sony, so they could see the emulators installed and drop the ban hammer.

As for me, I'm probably going to go back to OFW (I haven't had my PS3 hooked up to the net since I hacked it).

mattiewheels

linkboy said:
The emulators will work on OFW, however, the PS3 sends info back to Sony, so they could see the emulators installed and drop the ban hammer.

As for me, I'm probably going to go back to OFW (I haven't had my PS3 hooked up to the net since I hacked it).
I read that some CFW->OFW people renamed their emulators so it can show up as a retail game to Sony if they check. Does that sound like bs?

Danielsan

I'm probably going to make the jump back to OFW within a week or two (as soon as I've picked up Portal 2). It's been nice, but it's not worth being unable to play most of the new releases.

Reformatted my hard drive last night, took 9 hours. Reinstalled OFW 3.55, then upgraded to 3.61.

So long homebrew, it was a fun little ride.

Danielsan said:
I'm probably going to make the jump back to OFW within a week or two (as soon as I've picked up Portal 2). It's been nice, but it's not worth being unable to play most of the new releases.

I'm at the edge of doing the same. Just grabbed LA Noire for 360 but I feel like a bit of a fool not grabbing it for PS3 and just going back to OFW.

mattiewheels

Well I just bought la noire, guess it's time to jump ship. I'm going to try and keep a couple emus though, we'll see what happens to me, heh.

squicken

I'm renting the 360 version of LA Noire. I really had intended on buying the PS3 version. I thought about ditching CFW, but can't pull the trigger. Now if we hit fall and there's no movement then it will be pretty safe to assume that the CFW scene is dead. No way am I not getting Uncharted 3 on release day.

Top Bottom