• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

xero273

mikespit1200 said:
Or PSX games for that matter. Pretty sure there's still no way to do it.

for psx, they are working on that cobra thing. ps2 you can do the swap magic + openps2loader. But compatability sucks using that method.

elektrixx

Banned
This isn't really about homebrew, but users in this thread know their shit.

After PSN went up I played Burnout Paradise online. Right at the end I did a manual save. After the save I quit out through the XMB but my console restarted instead.

My save was corrupted. The save was still there (and looked normal in the XMB) but the game didn't find it. The game started fresh and overwrote the save. I tried moving the save back and forth from cloud storage, a USB drive and my US account on the same console but the fault remains.

I have the corrupt save on cloud storage. Can I do either:

a) Hex edit the original save so that it works

b) Start a new one and hex it to be identical to the original

The findings from my googling tell me that I'm boned. Please tell me otherwise.

We are pleased to announce that we are currently working on a solution to enable Cobra USB on PS3 firmware 3.55, with the release expected to take place a few weeks from now. This will bring all of Cobra USB's ground breaking features to the more up-to-date firmware, with the added bonus of removing the need to perform the power/eject cycle to enable the dongle - this will become totally automated. Support for 3.55 will be provided simply as a Cobra USB firmware update, meaning ALL Cobra USB dongles will be supported without the need for a new hardware revision. We will make further details available as the release draws near, keep an eye on this website for updates!

cobra.pkg possible? :D

cobra USB:

** Blu Ray Movie region free functionality
** Allows you to play Blu Ray movie ISO’s from HDD
** Allows you to play DVD movie ISO’s from HDD
** Integrated support to play PS1 game ISO’s from HDD
** Enjoy PS3 games with files >4GB on external USB HDD
* Supports FAT and SLIM PS3 consoles any region
* Supports versions up to 3.50 (console must be running 3.41)
* Play PS3 games from internal HDD
* MCU firmware and flash firmware updatable using easy to use free PC updater
* First class customer support and free regular firmware upgrades
* No need to open your console, just plug and play
* High quality components and materials used throughout
* Unique and built from scratch Cobra USB manager featuring slick U.I. and customized options with easy navigation
*Actel based encryption engine onboard to prevent device cloning
* Fast onboard 2 Mbyte SPI flash for firmware storage
* High quality onboard MCU
* Easy mode selection via switch (PC update, PS3 downgrader, regular PS3 device mode)
* Downgrader functionality included free of charge, allowing users to upgrade firmware to and from 3.41 at will.
* Multi lingual user interface (English, Spanish and French as standard with more languages to be supported later)

Someone made it work with the latest PAL patch it seems:

Okey guys, got it working with USA version, it's installing now.

Change the PARAM.sfo of LA Noire to BLES00933 instead of that orginal BLUS
Change the PARAM.sfo of LA Noire required fw to 3.55
Save the file
Install the patch
Run LA Noire with sel+x on multiman!

Working!!! Im gonna go play it now

[EDIT] Yes, even after install it works. So yeah, it's fully playable with that info of my
[EDIT2] If your controller isnt working after you get to play, exit game and run it without sel+x on multiman. Select+x is only needed for it to install. Now your controller should work.

Edit: Official Euro patch of the game:http://tinyurl.com/l-a-noireblespatchofficial

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anybody have a freeware FTP client they recommend? FireZilla works for a short while before it refuses to transfer anything (even now and then I have success with tiny files such as the SFOs, but that's it) and FireFTP has a 2GB file-size limit.

Edit: I just tried CoreFTP LE and it crashed when initiating a transfer of a ~12GB file.

Edit 2: Tried Cyberduck, but that didn't work, either. Bloody hell.

Edit 3: FileZilla finally woke up and started doing its job.

JaseC said:
Does anybody have a freeware FTP client they recommend? FireZilla works for a short while before it refuses to transfer anything (even now and then I have success with tiny files such as the SFOs, but that's it) and FireFTP has a 2GB file-size limit.

Edit: I just tried CoreFTP LE and it crashed when initiating a transfer of a ~12GB file.

I had similiar problems with Filezilla but all the problems go away when i install a different FTP server to PS3, then starts again. But this worked 3-4 times for me.

Conflict NZ said:
Are there now patches that allow you to play 3.60 games?

Not for every game. Brink worked because its patch included 3.50 or 3.55 eboot or something. Same goes for L.A. Noire. I think newest MX vs ATV or whatever that game did it too. But no other game as far as i know.

Shaneus

JaseC said:

Something must be up... I rock Filezilla and have zero problems.

JaseC

valentine71 said:
I had similiar problems with Filezilla but all the problems go away when i install a different FTP server to PS3, then starts again. But this worked 3-4 times for me.

Yeah, FileZilla sometimes kicks into gear if I've installed another FTP client and I'm logged in. In fact this "trick" worked just now after failing a couple of times, now I'm transferring the remaining larger files across (used FireFTP to transfer the files <2GB in size).

Shaneus said:
Something must be up... I rock Filezilla and have zero problems.

Definitely. I had no issues for weeks when I first jumped on CFW, but in recent months FileZilla has been giving me almost nothing but trouble. I have no idea what it could be as I've gone through at least 2 Windows installations since then, and FireFTP always works just fine. *shrug*

JaseC said:

Edit 3: FileZilla finally woke up and started doing its job.

TBH that sounds like either issues with your connection or FTP server. I use Filezilla to transfer files anywhere up to 20GB from one server to a remote server and it's always been rock solid to me. I even set up queues and schedule it to run at 2am using a couple of scripts so I can transfer data when it's cheapest....

besiktas1

Am I doing something wrong? I have a bunch of mkv's on m media server but showtime doesn't see them. All my files it seems fine.

I thought showtime played mkvs or am I mistaken?

Another 3.50 SDK game update. :lol

That's all 3.56 games and a few 3.60 games that have had updates. Maybe the developers can't sign updates with a higher firmware yet?

Majmun

Is it possible to play split files off the external HDD yet? Any tutorials to do so?

-edit

Seems to be possible. But I still have to move the split files into the internal HDD.

Second said:
Is it possible to play split files off the external HDD yet? Any tutorials to do so?

-edit

Seems to be possible. But I still have to move the split files into the internal HDD.

Yep, Multiman 2.00.01

Cloak

MMaRsu said:
It seems La Noire has been cracked, time for me to buy this badboy finally :D.

I too want to pick this game up... What does this mean actually? I've only dealt with games requiring 3.55 or lower.

Eiji

MMaRsu said:
It seems La Noire has been cracked, time for me to buy this badboy finally :D.

Not cracked, Sony compiled the update with an older SDK which is a win for us PS3 homebrewers :D

N.A

Banned
Showtime 2.99.401 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/Showtime

Fix alignment issues with subtitles.
Make sure each rendered text line is aligned same way as the text bounding box
Fixes ticket #497
Don't crash if text rendering fails
freetype: If we are unable to get a face with style modifiers, try to get one without
It's ok since we can do italic and bold ourselfs. Before this Showtime crashed
httpclient: Fix regression with non-chunked transfered data
Problem when reading last bytes of file (truncated reads)
Affected playback of .mov/.mp4 files

New PS3 icon in XMB (credits to gizmo)
Improved subtitle rendering (Can now do some styles, etc from SSA/ASS)
subtitles: Add support for Windows 1250 character encoding
Handle UTF-8 BOM in SRT files
Fix various bugs in PS3 Cell accelerated video decoder
Improve SRT scanner (Don't search on UPNP shares, only search parent folder and subs/ folder)
Faster navigation to new page when clicking on an item
Fixes for Twonky UPNP/DLNA server
Fix playback of some AVI files (Timestamp problems)
Plug a bunch of memory leaks
Handle <b> and <i> tags in SRT subs, skip other tags
Add settings for subtitles
- Screen positioning (left, center, right)
- Size adjustment (no longer scale from UI settings)
- Possible to have Showtime always select a subtitle if one is found
Faster start of video playback from upnp (use mimetype to infer container format instead of probing)
Improve buffer management, see 7ecd2e76
Improve performance of browsing RAR archives
Make opensubtitles.org work again
Support SRT files from minidlna server

N.A

Banned
FUSE (Spectrum Emulator) 1.0.0.1 Alpha 1 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/FUSE

Release Notes:
* This is a test release, not all features have been thoroughly tested. Please report any issues and feedback.
* Issues should NOT be reported to the FUSE project, this port is unofficial and the fuse team will not be able to provide support.

Usage:
* Install the Fuse package on your jailbroken ps3 using normal means.
* Either use FTP to store games on hard drive or place them on a FAT formated USB device.
* Games should be either uncompressed, or stored as gzip archives. Zip files are not supported.

MMaRsu

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
The only problem is that it seems like a one-off. We still very much need a new, proper solution (preferably before Uncharted 3 lol).

Ofcourse we do, but Brink got patched the same way I heard and that's playable. And that's also a 3.60 game.

Obviously we'll need some kind of fix for new games in the future.

JaseC

kurtrussell said:
TBH that sounds like either issues with your connection or FTP server. I use Filezilla to transfer files anywhere up to 20GB from one server to a remote server and it's always been rock solid to me. I even set up queues and schedule it to run at 2am using a couple of scripts so I can transfer data when it's cheapest....

Well, the server is the PS3 in this instance, and I can't say I recall the program being so fickle with anything else (e.g. uploading to my ISP user web space), so you may very well be right.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well, I went back to OFW and now that I'm on 3.61, the homebrew I left on the machine gives an error message now. Which is weird, since I used the FTP homebrew program when I first updated to 3.60. Was there something in .61 that successfully locks out that stuff?

filipe

mattiewheels said:
Well, I went back to OFW and now that I'm on 3.61, the homebrew I left on the machine gives an error message now. Which is weird, since I used the FTP homebrew program when I first updated to 3.60. Was there something in .61 that successfully locks out that stuff?

Aren't those older programs signed with different keys now, thus incompatible? Am I missing something here?

Cloak

Wax Free Vanilla said:
backup with multiman then install the game update patch. play.

Nice. Thanks.

how do you guys get the updates? I've been using the one on the wiki site... PS3 Game Updater.

Majmun

Cloak said:
Nice. Thanks.

how do you guys get the updates? I've been using the one on the wiki site... PS3 Game Updater.

Download game updates through Multiman. Go to game options and select updates. The updates will be downloaded and put in the "Install Packages" folder. You can install the updates from there.

And Multiman 2.00.02 seems to be out...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
filipe said:
Aren't those older programs signed with different keys now, thus incompatible? Am I missing something here?
If 3.61 can detect things signed by the old keys, then there's my answer. I swear I used a homebrew app when I upgraded to 3.55 OFW and that was the last time it worked, so I guess they plugged that hole.

N.A

Banned
mulyiMAN 02.00.02 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/MultiMAN

* Fixed: handling of themes_dir and covers_dir options in options.ini (broken in .01)
* Fixed: handling of NETHOST definitions in options.ini (broken in .01)
* Changed: Remember user font selection on exit (prevents reverting to theme font at each startup)

File Manager related:
* Added: Context menu in File Manager (similar to right-click) with CIRCLE button (all other shortcuts are removed)
* Changed: Removed File Manager from mode list (L1/R1 skips it)
* Changed: File size in File Manager shown with 2 decimal precision
* Added: "File Manager Access" option in SETTINGS XMMB column - PIN protected - to disable FileManager mode
* Changed: Key to select multiple files/folders: [SQUARE] (was [select])
* Left pane shows up to 60 characters and right up to 55 for file/folder names (was 26/22)

XMMB related:
* Added: "Poster and Cover Alteration" option in XMMB Settings column
* Added: "Button Assignment" option in XMMB Settings column
* Added: Current selection in Settings column remembered
* Fixed: Applying themes now changes text colors immediately in XMMB mode (clock, option names, game column title)

* Added: Video thumbnails for XMMB VIDEO column (3264x3264 max res):
- for external (non-XMB) video files: Example:
--- movie name: my_video.avi
--- thumbnail : my_video.avi.jpg, my_video.avi.JPG, my_video.jpg, my_video.JPG
- for internal (XMB) videos - .STH thumbnail generated by the PS3 is used

* Added thumbnail support for AVCHD, BDMV and DVD video structures (POSTER.JPG, COVER.JPG)
* Added thumbnail support for AVCHD, BDMV (multiAVCHD compatible /HDAVCTN/BDMT_O1.jpg, /BDMV/META/DL/HDAVCTN_O1.jpg)
* Added thumbnail support for PHOTO column (for JPEG images with resolution up to 3264x3264)
* Added: Last game selection is remembered in XMMB mode after restart and after switching to other display modes
* Improved: No more reloading of XMMB columns each time you leave/enter XMMB mode or game/system submenu
* Changed: Scanning for content while in XMMB doesn't show the ugly "Scanning..." screen
* Removed: File extensions for known media files in MUSIC/PHOTO/VIDEO XMMB columns
* Added: Download Themes application in WEB XMMB column (thanks to S4BRE and condorstrike for hosting)
* Added: Visit multiMAN forum link in WEB XMMB column
* Graphics fixed: Downloading files via web browser while in XMMB mode
* New option in options.ini/options_default.ini: themes_web_dir (to store downloaded themes)
# Option: Directory to store downloaded multiMAN themes
themes_web_dir=/dev_hdd0/game/BLES80608/USRDIR/themes_web

* Visualization improvement (good news for users with 720p/576p/480p TVs, too):
* No more jagged edges of the textures (ICONS) during enlargement/shrinking
* 576p looks good now, not to speak of 720p
* Smoothing also applied to OVERSCAN modes
* Added: Support for srt/ssa/ass subtitles when caching video for Showtime from NTFS drive
* Removed: AC3 playback from file manager
* Optimized memory management (90MB free during mM operation)
* More optimizations: multiMAN executable (RELOAD.SELF) size down to 496KB

JaseC

mattiewheels said:
If 3.61 can detect things signed by the old keys, then there's my answer. I swear I used a homebrew app when I upgraded to 3.55 OFW and that was the last time it worked, so I guess they plugged that hole.

Sony wouldn't implement code that refused to load apps signed with anything less than 3.61 or whatever because retail and PSN games would get caught in the crossfire. The more likely scenario is that they're able to detect particular homebrew apps and stop them from running.

N.A

Banned
JaseC said:
Sony wouldn't implement code that refused to load apps signed with anything less than 3.61 or whatever because retail and PSN games would get caught in the crossfire. The more likely scenario is that they're able to detect particular homebrew apps and stop them from running.

They just blacklisted the keys used to sign the homebrew. It's possible to sign with other non-blacklisted keys but only geohot and other people not willing to share know how to do this.

JaseC

N.A said:
They just blacklisted the keys used to sign the homebrew. It's possible to sign with other non-blacklisted keys but only geohot and other people not willing to share know how to do this.

Ah, right. :)

N.A

Banned
The Humble Homebrew Collection released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/The_Humble_Homebrew_Collection

Download: http://humblehomebrew.com/

The Humble Homebrew Collection is an initiative that aims to convince Sony to provide us with a legitimate and official way to create homebrew applications for the consoles that we own.

We are providing you with a free homebrew game that aims to be polished and look professionally made which includes 33 very good and addictive puzzle games. We've tried to make this homebrew games collection as good as possible so that even the anti-homebrew purists will be jealous of it.

Homebrew does not equal piracy, and this is proof of it. These games are all free and are released under the MIT license.

You are free to download these games for the platform of your choice, whether it's on a jailbroken PS3, Linux, Windows, Mac or Android.

This Homebrew game collection is a port of Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection to the Playstation 3 system and it includes 33 puzzle games. More games are being written and this collection will only increase with time.

This is one of the first homebrew games that are released on the PS3 which are above the "proof of concept" status and is not yet another backup manager, FTP server or a port of an existing emulator.

This homebrew game is still in active development and will continue to receive regular updates. The TODO list has many items on it and it will continue to improve for your enjoyment.

The main purpose of this website it to serve as a petition against Sony's unjust behavior towards their customers. You are encouraged to sign the petition, donate to the developers or you can simply download the games. The choice is yours.

If you wish to do so, you may also donate to the developers of this homebrew application, as well as to the EFF, which helps defend our rights in this digital age.

It is time to vote with your money, boycott Sony, request your legal homebrew and request your freedom and let them know that they have much to gain by giving us access to the homebrew that we deserve.

Let Sony know that, as a customer, you want homebrew games, you want to see the real purpose of the Copyright Law used properly: To encourage creativity and innovation. Let them know that, as a customer, you are willing to pay for quality homebrew and that if they wanted to, they can get a share of that money. After all, all they care about is money!

Thank you

My phat PS3 is really loud. It vents hot air vigorously even when idle. Was wondering what are the chances of buying a new Slim that comes with a hackable FW today?

N.A

Banned
Naked Snake said:
My phat PS3 is really loud. It vents hot air vigorously even when idle. Was wondering what are the chances of buying a new Slim that comes with a hackable FW today?

The vast majority of new consoles are still 3.50 I believe. (hackable)

Anonymous hackers release PDF theory for dual firmware PS3 - Could lead to 3.6x+ key decryption/CFW!

The beginning of dual-firmware PS3:

The technique outlined in the .PDF will help people learn more about 3.6x firmwares.

The solution relies on the implementation of a second NOR/NAND Flash.
Some technical limitations have been identified. But time will help us to remove them.

The information in the document is still theoretical for the moment, however please post results from your testing.

We believe knowledge and information wants to be free.

Learn what you can and help contribute to making the PS3 scene a better place.

Released by No_One.

Top Bottom