• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

What I would really love is a way to remotely control the PS3 from a PC/laptop/ipad/etc. with something like Remote Desktop protocol. I like to play music on my PS3 without needing to turn on the big ass TV to be able to navigate to the desired folder or playlist. An RDC app for PS3 would be very nice to have.

Wait, can you control the PS3 XMB via PSP remote play?

evanft

Disgaea 3 and Eternal Sonata don't seem to work from an my internal. I've Google'd it, but I'm reading different things about how to get them working. I'm using kmeaw and the latest version of Multiman.

Can anyone help?

Also, I tried updating Condemned 2, but I still have sound issues. Multiman even says I have version 1.01. WTF?

MightyKAC

Naked Snake said:
What I would really love is a way to remotely control the PS3 from a PC/laptop/ipad/etc. with something like Remote Desktop protocol. I like to play music on my PS3 without needing to turn on the big ass TV to be able to navigate to the desired folder or playlist. An RDC app for PS3 would be very nice to have.

Wait, can you control the PS3 XMB via PSP remote play?
No. When you use remote play all audio and video are routed through the psp and the ps3 just shows the black Remote play screen.

You can use remote play to stream the music from your ps3 to your psp buy I'm guessing you want to stream it to a better sound than that.

MightyKAC said:
No. When you use remote play all audio and video are routed through the psp and the ps3 just shows the black Remote play screen.

You can use remote play to stream the music from your ps3 to your psp buy I'm guessing you want to stream it to a better sound than that.

Actually you can output the audio from the TV/sound system during remote-play. There is an option in the XMB to switch between that and the PSP audio.

And yes, you can control the XMB via the PSP.
Also, IIRC you can also use some hack with Windows Vista or 7 that gives you remote play on any PC (instead of just Vaio PCs). Though I guess it's kinda off-topic as you don't need CFW for that.

MightyKAC

SolidusDave said:
Actually you can output the audio from the TV/sound system during remote-play. There is an option in the XMB to switch between that and the PSP audio.

Also, IIRC you can also use some hack with Windows Vista or 7 that gives you remote play on any PC (instead of just Vaio PCs). Though I guess it's kinda off-topic as you don't need CFW for that.

Holy crap I did not know that.

One of the few times that I'm completely happy to be totally wrong. :D

SolidusDave said:

Holy crap indeed. I would have been very happy just to know that a PSP can do it, but even a Windows PC? So awesome. Funny how I've wanted this feature for many, many months but didn't even bother to ask or search cause it didn't occur to me that it might already be available.

SolidusDave said:

Whaaa really? I must know the name of this hack :D

N.A

Banned
evanft said:
Disgaea 3 and Eternal Sonata don't seem to work from an my internal. I've Google'd it, but I'm reading different things about how to get them working. I'm using kmeaw and the latest version of Multiman.

Can anyone help?

Also, I tried updating Condemned 2, but I still have sound issues. Multiman even says I have version 1.01. WTF?

Disgaea 3 needs an update to work (just google Disgaea 3 fix). Eternal Sonata either needs to be played on external using BD-Mirror or using a fix package.

N.A

Banned
multiMAN 02.00.03 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/MultiMAN

* Fixed: Launching games with cached files right after they're cached
* Fixed: GAMEI folder won't appear on USB unless "Ext Game Data" option is used
* Fixed: Double entries in VIDEO column when thumbnail is named for example video.avi.jpg and not video.jpg
* Improved: Scrolling left/right in XMMB mode (faster and won't load columns)
* Improved: Scrolling up/down. Scroll will pause for ~1 second before looping.
* Added: Option "Hide BD-ROM disc from game list" in XMMB Settings
* Added: L2/R2 switch pages in 4x2 and 8x4 game list modes
* Added: "Save Screenshot" option in PS3 XMB Photo column to capture multiMAN screens in PNG (multiMAN Screenshots album) (10x to squarepusher2 for the hint)
* Improved: multiMAN will return from emulators and showtime much faster (~1-2 seconds boot screen)
* Improved: Last XMMB column and selection/entry restored upon restart/respawn
* Improved: JPG and PNG loading and decoding is performed faster (via SPU with fallback to PPU when header-decoding fails)
* Added: "Retro" column for emulators (WIP)
* Added: "Genre" option in "Game Settings" submenu to select categories for albums/grouping
* (WIP) Added: Support for latest SNES9x port for PS3
* (WIP) Added: Support for SNES9x ROMS: SMC/smc, FIG/fig, SFC/sfc, GD3/gd3, GD7/gd7, DX2/dx2, BSX/bsx, SWC/swc, JMA/jma
* (WIP) Added: New options in options.ini:
* Added: Support for playing music/playlists from PS3 XMB Music column (thanks to squarepusher2)
* Improved: TVs with 480p/576p resolution will show XMMB and slide-coverflow modes a bit better

MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS:
* Improved: Added threaded processing for photo/music/video/game/favorites/retro columns
* Improved: Added threaded processing for loading jpg/png images in XMMB mode

* SNES9x:
- Fixed PS3 reset when exiting with {PS} button
- Fixed returning to XMB
- Fixed returning to multiMAN

* multiMAN:
- Greatly improved loading of all columns in XMMB mode
- Progress icons added in the top right corner (next to the clock)

OneMoreQuestion said:
Whaaa really? I must know the name of this hack :D

I goggled a bit, there are apparently two ways:

- one can be used on any Windows PC or even Mac OS, but requires a PSP with CFW (though PS3 works with OFW), at least for the initial pairing I think.

- the other one works w/o a PSP but only on Windows 7 and Vista (though the latter needs additional steps) and it even uses the official VAIO Remote Play app.

I only have Windows XP and a non-hacked PSP :(

SolidusDave said:
I goggled a bit, there are apparently two ways:

- one can be used on any Windows PC or even Mac OS, but requires a PSP with CFW (though PS3 works with OFW), at least for the initial pairing I think.

- the other one works w/o a PSP but only on Windows 7 and Vista (though the latter needs additional steps) and it even uses the official VAIO Remote Play app.

I only have Windows XP and a non-hacked PSP :(

Hmm, my laptop is XP and my desktop is Windows 7, and I don't have a PSP. I'd rather use remote play from the laptop... must find a way.

To try to keep this on topic: Is it just me or is multiMAN updated way too often? And every release seems to fix a dozen issues or so. It's great that the program is being actively worked on and improved, but with such a frequent release schedule and the number of fixed bugs every time doesn't exactly give me confidence in its current state (I never used it yet).

Duplex released working pkgs for Hunted: The Demon's Forge (It was working via official update before just like LA Noire as far as i read but). This is what they said in the info part:

Release Info:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This release contains a custom pkg (much smaller) with updates making
the release work on both 3.55 and 3.41 !

In order to get this to work on 3.41 we had to decrypt
NPDRM on this one. Yes, NPDRM defeated :) (eboot.elf included as proof).

This package is meant to be for the DUPLEX release of course .. no silly
region dupes accepted ;) (first one wins, remember?)

As a bonus we also included a patch for people who legally bought the game
in the .us . You guys may take the blus patch plz.

Notes:
~~~~~~

install the corresponding .pkg , run game from latest multiman, let it
patch the sfo and go!

********** big shout out to ZHUGE **********

Chesskid1

Banned
2qnoyeu.png

hi-res:https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_...AAAAAABQA/cto00DUDG2I/s1600/SNES9x PS3_19.png

really liking these borders people are making for SNES9x. it's fun to think of what they will have in a few months, or years from now.

How does Showtime compare to the PS3 media server, feature wise? As soon as Showtime allows lots of formats, manually picking of subtitle files (srt and sub and other extensions), I'll switch over...

xero273

perryfarrell said:
How does Showtime compare to the PS3 media server, feature wise? As soon as Showtime allows lots of formats, manually picking of subtitle files (srt and sub and other extensions), I'll switch over...

well ps3 media server has been worked on longer so for me that one works better. everything i try in showtime has no picture. You can pick subtitles in showtime now though.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
does this mean all 3.60/61 games will be playable with no 3.50/56 game updates?

I don't see how that's possible.. it would depend on the game wouldn't it?

Surely these updates also contain new API calls that can't just be ignored if a game uses them?

perryfarrell said:
It already does the sub thing, I think. When I tried it out I remember finding some sub sub-menu.

NPDRM keys being found sucks (if true). All it leads to is mass piracy of DLC and PSN content. I suppose one could make the argument that since there is no access to PSN anyway, there was never the intent to ever buy said content, hence no sale lost... but it still sucks regardless. I was honestly pretty pleased with the way the scene was headed (a few new games slowly being cracked post-release, and the hope of 3.60+ CFW in future to play 'catch-up' with the games already out), but now I predict purely dark times ahead.

I've been really curious about CFW and want to get started. It's not too late in the game, no?

I was going to buy most likely a used cheap Slim, but don't have any money to spare right now. Would it be a huge risk to do a temporary CFW mod to my current OFW PS3 (of which has an HDD with about 400GB of content I can't part with inc. game saves)? How easy is it to switch back?

Wax Free Vanilla said:
sony totally boned?

does this mean all 3.60/61 games will be playable with no 3.50/56 game updates?

No i don't think so, its a different thing, as I NEED SCISSORS wrote it will lead to the PSN' s all contents piracy. Anyway there was a way to get anything from the store for free with REBUG' s CFW but this way everything on the store will able to pirated much much easier.

jetsetfluken said:
I've been really curious about CFW and want to get started. It's not too late in the game, no?

I was going to buy most likely a used cheap Slim, but don't have any money to spare right now. Would it be a huge risk to do a temporary CFW mod to my current OFW PS3 (of which has an HDD with about 400GB of content I can't part with inc. game saves)? How easy is it to switch back?

It takes 5 minutes to switch back. Don't think there any risks. People use Rebug and play online even now, so i don't think there are any risks. But what is your system firmwire? I mean it has been months so are you still on 3.55?

valentine71 said:
No i don't think so, its a different thing, as I NEED SCISSORS wrote it will lead to the PSN' s all contents piracy. Anyway there was a way to get anything from the store for free with REBUG' s CFW but this way everything on the store will able to pirated much much easier.

It takes 5 minutes to switch back. Don't think there any risks. People use Rebug and play online even now, so i don't think there are any risks. But what is your system firmwire? I mean it has been months so are you still on 3.55?

The latest firmware unfortunately...
Which means I may probably have to buy another PS3 on the cheap to do CFW?

jetsetfluken said:
The latest firmware unfortunately...
Which means I may probably have to buy another PS3 on the cheap to do CFW?

Yes unfortunately. No 3.56-3.60-3.61 CFW around yet. By the way i bought my slim around new year and it had 3.50 i think. So its mostly about companies stocks i think. So if you decide to buy a new one be careful about the system firmwire. It might have a higher fw.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
perryfarrell said:

I haven't tried a recent build but I wouldn't switch yet. In my experience, hidef stuff didn't run too great. Can't answer about the subs though.

perryfarrell said:

I think .sub files doesn't work on Showtime. Srts just work fine and there are lot of language options for special characters. Showtime picks the first subtitle in the folder automatically but you can change it manually after you started watching the video file.

Keio

For a Finer World
With what firmware are consoles shipping now? I'm tempted to pick up a slim, but would like to do CFW? Any differences Euro/US (trying to learn away from PAL/NTSC as that doesn't really matter in the 2010s)?

Keio said:
With what firmware are consoles shipping now? I'm tempted to pick up a slim, but would like to do CFW? Any differences Euro/US (trying to learn away from PAL/NTSC as that doesn't really matter in the 2010s)?

It is up to the companies stock. I bought one in new year (i live in Turkey). It came with 3.50 i think. A friend of mine who lives in U.K. bought one 2 weeks ago or so and it had 3.55 i think. Both region's consoles work at the other region without problems as far as i know. Which region or country had different voltage with three pole plug? Gotta be U.S.A. i think, a relative of a friend brought one from that region or country and all we had to do was changing the plug to a normal one we use here. There was no need for voltage changer or anything. And as you know the games are region-free too so it won't be a problem. Your only problem might be movies. But i think with a small program you can change your PS3' s region too. So movies might not a be problem.

atomsk

Party Pooper
returned to OFW today, it was fun while it lasted!

but really I enjoy the technical ins and outs of the hack itself rather than doing anything with it.

Kylarean

Keio said:

The slim I got from Amazon (US) two weeks ago came with 3.55.

I'm also tempted to get a slim, as i don't have much faith in my phat staying alive far into the future (although I never had a console die on me, but the excessive venting of hot air from the phat PS3 doesn't give me much confidence). So I'm thinking of getting a slim before they all have new firmware then if my phat dies I could be locked out of CFW forever.

At the same time, I'm finding it hard to justify the cost, since I'm hardly using my PS3 these days...

Alright, um...is PS3 CFW even possible when using a Mac?

The instructions on the wiki require you to do some things in Windows Command Prompt/MD5 Checker is an EXE.

jetsetfluken said:
Alright, um...is PS3 CFW even possible when using a Mac?

The instructions on the wiki require you to do some things in Windows Command Prompt/MD5 Checker is an EXE.
You don't need to use the MD5 checker.

Liquid Helium said:
You don't need to use the MD5 checker.

Then how do I do this step on a Mac?:
# Copy the downloaded Official Firmware 3.55 PS3UPDAT.PUP to the same folder.
# Open command prompt.
# Type "cd c:\patch" (without the quotes) (change the 'c' if your drive letter is different)
# Type "bspatch PS3UPDAT.PUP PS3CFW.PUP patchfile" (without the quotes)
# You should now have a file named PS3CFW.PUP.

endlessflood said:
Yes, using bootcamp.

As far as it looks, it's possible to do Geohot CFW easily with either Mac or Windows, but kmeaw requires Windows-only Command Prompts and .exe files.

edit: GREAT, link is dead on the wiki for Geohot CFW.
WTF?

N.A

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
As far as it looks, it's possible to do Geohot CFW easily with either Mac or Windows, but kmeaw requires Windows-only Command Prompts and .exe files.

edit: GREAT, link is dead on the wiki for Geohot CFW.
WTF?

Removed all the geohot stuff, it's redundant anyway. It's very easy to find a pre-patched kmeaw .pup.

I love emulators, so i would like to try homebrewing on a second PS3.

Opportunity is quick, i´ll have a trip to north america and i can buy a new one cheap.

I know i have to be on 3.55 or below, and i read the FAQ, but still, quick question before i go:

Can i grab a new unit (i´ll be on Canada) and use it to homebrew? Or does it come with a higher FW preloaded on the machine?

If that´s the case, do i need a used PS3 to do it?

(I wonder because what i read so far show me that if i´m higher than 3.55 i can´t downgrade anymore).

Thanks for the attention. I´m almost leaving, so i figure it was best to ask GAF first.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
seattle6418 said:
I love emulators, so i would like to try homebrewing on a second PS3.

Opportunity is quick, i´ll have a trip to north america and i can buy a new one cheap.

I know i have to be on 3.55 or below, and i read the FAQ, but still, quick question before i go:

Can i grab a new unit (i´ll be on Canada) and use it to homebrew? Or does it come with a higher FW preloaded on the machine?

If that´s the case, do i need a used PS3 to do it?

(I wonder because what i read so far show me that if i´m higher than 3.55 i can´t downgrade anymore).

Thanks for the attention. I´m almost leaving, so i figure it was best to ask GAF first.

No way of knowing without turning it on. If you buy used, you'd have to ask the seller what FM version it is.

MMaRsu

Banned
I dont think any new consoles come installed with 3.60 yet. At least grab an older unit like a GT5 pack or something you'll be sure.

seems sony have rolled out the 3.60 keys to devs as the 1.9 game update for killzone 3 requires 3.60 to run.

so, it's looking like infamous 2 will be the last new game to run on cfw...

Aeonin

Danielsan said:
Thanks. It's good to be back online with my PS3. It was fun while it lasted guys.

I'm so jealous. I'm on CFW now - loving MAME and SNES support. Plus using cheats was damn cool. But fuck if I don't miss U2 online.

Top Bottom