• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

test_account

XP-39C²
Wax Free Vanilla said:
seems sony have rolled out the 3.60 keys to devs as the 1.9 game update for killzone 3 requires 3.60 to run.

so, it's looking like infamous 2 will be the last new game to run on cfw...
What happens if you download the 1.9 patch and are on firmware 3.55? Are you prompted with a new firmware update? What if you pull out the ethernet cable just when the update is finished downloaded?

test_account said:
What happens if you download the 1.9 patch and are on firmware 3.55? Are you prompted with a new firmware update? What if you pull out the ethernet cable just when the update is finished downloaded?

i haven't tried it because the update is useless for cfw users

test_account

XP-39C²
Wax Free Vanilla said:
i haven't tried it because the update is useless for cfw users
That is true, i'm just curious what will happen seeing that Killzone 3 is originally a 3.50 (or 3.55) game :) I've never seen a game update that will prompt a firmware update, so i wonder if this is something new that just started.

EDIT: I just read over at psx-scene.com and it seems that you will get prompted with a firmware update each time you try to start the game (unless you're on 3.60 or 3.61 of course).

Eiji

Naked Snake said:
Tell me more. I used to love using cheats (e.g. Action Replay) on PS2 and other console. How is it done on PS3 CFW? Is it built into Multiman?

PS3 Cheat Tool v1.4

N.A

Banned
multiMAN 02.00.04 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/MultiMAN

Added: Threaded processing for various tasks (downloading covers, scanning, etc) (no more GUI interruptions)
Added: XMMB mode will invoke download of missing covers, too
Added: Support for Genesis+ GX retro emulator (port by squarepusher2)
Added: Support for FCEUltra (NES/ULTRA) PS3 retro emulator (port by squarepusher2)
Added: Support for VBA PS3 retro emulator (GameBoy/GameBoy Advanced)
Added: Support for PNG covers for Retro column (408x408 max resolution) (408x180 for best results)
Added: L2+R2 will turn on screensaver mode (or put the PAD on a table/coach/sofa and press it down gently)
Added: Caching of the whole XMMB mode
Improved: XMMB Photo column display and navigation (no more image buffers release when full - a lot seamless now)
Improved: Navigation in XMMB is completely rewritten - now smooth and faster than original PS3 XMB
Improved: Increased image buffers (50 icons/covers) in XMMB (30 in prev versions)
Added: Unfolding effect up/down while loading XMMB columns
Added: Indication in XMMB mode when FTP service is used or background download is active
Added: Warning prompt when user leaves multiMAN with active FTP connections
Added: Screensaver Timeout option in XMMB Settings column (1-10 mins)
Added: Link to GBATemp website with Online User Manual by Cyan in XMMB WEB column
Added: FF/REW for Picture Viewer in XMMB mode (holding left/right or L1/R1)
Added: Support for 2048 entries per XMMB column
Added: Virtual memory used for certain tasks (like mp3 playback) to save real memory
Added: Asnynchroious loading of MP3 files for playback
Added: A bit more memory allocated to webbrowser and put it in separate container
Added: MP3 playlist support for 2048 entries (was 128)

squicken

If I decide to go back to ofw, what folders do I need to delete? I don't want to do a 12 hour system restore. Or does the format feature work quicker? I know I need to flash back to ofw as well.

N.A

Banned
squicken said:
Yeah I read that. But it says delete custom folders. I don't know which of my folders are custom. All I have installed are Multiman and my own game rips, in addition to kmeaw

Custom folders are things like rom folders. If you don't have any of these just delete your game rips folder, then all the homebrew from the xmb and you'll be fine.

linkboy

squicken said:
Yeah I read that. But it says delete custom folders. I don't know which of my folders are custom. All I have installed are Multiman and my own game rips, in addition to kmeaw

I would recommend backing up your saves (and any videos, music or pictures) and then doing a format.

That's what I did and I've gone on PSN (downloaded my welcome back items) and I haven't gotten any emails from Sony yet.

squicken

Thanks for the help guys. Still haven't decided, but I find myself more interested in going online with Motorstorm than staying with CFW.

Jal

Finally decided to update Multiman from the original one, do you have to install those emulator packages for them to work in multiman, i already have the emus and roms but no roms are showing up.

EDIT: i tried installing the packages from mm but i already have the latest ones, maybe the roms need to be in a different folder for mm to see them?

EDIT 2:i deleted the emu's i had and installed the mm packaged ones, now the snes one works from file manager, need to get the roms in the right folder now.

EDIT 3: Got snes roms up just needed to rename folder from 'Snes9x data' to 'snes', got genesis working folder needs to be 'gen'.

more 3.50 updates released:

- Operation Flashpoint: Red River
- Duke Nukem Forever

which suggests only sony game developers can sign updates with 3.60 (killzone 2, infamous 2 and gt5)

Jal

Multiman Update with FBAnext support
http://www.multiupload.com/TCUPM7VI2J

New FBAnext with multiman support
http://www.multiupload.com/9AIZ4U6PSD

Emulator Pack
http://www.multiupload.com/89YHYSGXIH

Originally Posted by deank
multiMAN ver 2.00.04 UPDATE (20110611_143000):

* Changed: Coverflow mode completely rewritten to use XMMB engine
* Changed: Coverflow shows covers in perspective
* Changed: Better memory management
* Changed: XMMB display mode visualization
* Added: Support for FBA Next emulator (port by squarepusher2)
* Added: Option in XMMB Settings column "XMMB Game Icon Swap" to select mode for covers/icons for Game column
* Fixed: PPU crashreport about multistream on exit (thanks to anonymous)
* Added: Launch .zip ROMs from File Manager (from emulator folders or dev_hdd0 or dev_usb00* ./ROMS/[emulator])
* Added: Preconfigured FBANext xml for all multiMAN compatible rom paths

* New: multiMAN source publicly available here: multiman - PLAYSTATION®3 Application - Google Project Hosting

multiMAN EMULATOR PACK (SNES GENP VBA FBA FCEU) (20110611) (27.83 MB)

Pack contains all 5 emulators ported by squarepusher2, compiled by me, tested and working:

* 20110602-161300-SNES9X [SNES90000] [multiMAN] (in-game menu access [R3])
* 20110602-161200-GENESIS-PLUS [GENP00001] [multiMAN] (in-game menu access [R3])
* 20110602-161700-FCEU [FCEU90000] [multiMAN] (in-game menu access [R3])
* 20110603-233800-VBA [VBAM90000] [multiMAN] (in-game menu access [R3])
* 20110611-150000-FBA [FBAN00000] [multiMAN] (in-game menu access L2+R2+R1)

Enjoy.

I couldnt get FBA roms in the retro column , i started editing option files and ended up with no roms at all so went back to previous multiman.

causan

Rebug 3.65 Version Spoofer 2.0 released:
http://rebug.me/?wpfb_dl=26

June 12th, 2011 :: posted in Rebug News, Version Spoofer by cyberskunk

***** THIS DOESNT ALLOW PSN *** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK *****

***** FOR 3.55 ONLY **** FOR 3.55 ONLY ***** FOR 3.55 ONLY *****

*********** THIS WILL NOT WORK ON REBUG FIRMWARE ***********

3.65 Version Spoofer 2.0 is much faster and safer to use than the previous version spoofers. It works like the ★ Rebug Selector and backs up your current files before activating the spoof, then auto reboots leaving no room for end-user error.

INSTALL:
Press L1+CROSS to INSTALL 3.65 Version Spoof files to your PS3

ACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE:
Press L1+CROSS to ACTIVATE/DEACTIVATE (System will reboot)

UNINSTALL:
Press L1+CIRCLE to UNINSTALL (this will deactivate the spoofer, remove the spoof files from dev_flash and reboot if needed)

Enjoy..

LINKS AND MD5 CHECKSUM:
3.65_Version_Spoofer_2.0.rar
ab9ef30b20e805e3e128513bd2c8862e

3.65_Version_Spoofer_2.0.pkg
e452c5587dff32e376aa6686cd46ea59

test_account

XP-39C²
Spoofers are mostly (or maybe only?) there for stopping accidental firmware updates. You might have heard those stories where a nephew wanted to play a game online and updated the PS3 firmware. But with spoofer, the PS3 thinks that the latest firmware is installed, so it isnt possible to update the firmware, unless you remove the spoofer of course.

Aeonin

Well, this whole CFW thing was fun. I'm going back to OFW - need to brush up on UC2 before the UC3 beta drops on the 28th.

Ain't no PSN fix in sight (or even hinted at by anyone). So off and away I go.

Majmun

test_account said:
Spoofers are mostly (or maybe only?) there for stopping accidental firmware updates. You might have heard those stories where a nephew wanted to play a game online and updated the PS3 firmware. But with spoofer, the PS3 thinks that the latest firmware is installed, so it isnt possible to update the firmware, unless you remove the spoofer of course.

Oh, that's disappointing.

Gvaz

Banned
Smision said:
If I bought a new PS3 160gb from amazon right now, would I get 3.56 or up?
Likely you would get 3.56 or higher because I heard of some people getting 3.56 like 2 months ago or less.

Probably been asked a dozen times before, but can you update all games safely? I have playstation.net blocked, but do any patches force 3.60 or anything?

besiktas1

MarkMclovin said:
Probably been asked a dozen times before, but can you update all games safely? I have playstation.net blocked, but do any patches force 3.60 or anything?

I think Killzone 3 and GT5 you can't update iirc.

N.A

Banned
MultiMAN 02.00.05 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/MultiMAN

Changed: Coverflow mode completely rewritten to use XMMB engine
Changed: Coverflow shows covers in perspective
Changed: Better memory management
Changed: XMMB display mode visualization
Changed: Caching only of Photo, Music and Retro XMMB columns with their actual size (faster boot and exit/restart) (16MB HDD space freed)
Added: Option in XMMB Settings column “XMMB Game Icon Swap” to select mode for covers/icons for Game column
Added: Options in XMMB Settings column “Key Repeat Delay” and “Key Repeat Speed”
Added: Launch .zip ROMs from File Manager (from emulator folders or dev_hdd0 or dev_usb00* ./ROMS/[emulator])
Added: Support for FBA Next emulator (port mods by squarepusher2)
Fixed: PPU crashreport about MultiStream on exit (thanks to an0nymous for the backtrace log)
Fixed: Minor issues when applying themes
Fixed: Minor issues/garbage with boot screen on rare occasions
Removed: Use of virtual memory

[edit] MP3/Audio related

Changed: MP3 playback requires 384KB of RAM (was 24MB before) and now MP3 file size is unlimited (4MB ram freed)
Added: Fade-in / fade-out for mp3 playback
Added: Indication of which mp3 title is currently playing/paused in XMMB mode
Added: multiMAN mp3 playback will pause if you play music from PS3 XMB Music column

Extended support for BD Remote Controller:

BD Remote: [ENTER] and [PLAY] keys will act as [X] (much easier to navigate)
BD Remote: [PAUSE] will pause music playback
BD Remote: [PREV]/[NEXT] will skip to previous/next audio track
BD Remote: [STOP] will stop music playback

test_account

XP-39C²
MarkMclovin said:
Some game updates wont let you start certain games if you're not on firmware 3.60, but this is "optional". I mean, the PS3 will not automatically start to download and install firmware 3.60. You will only get prompted that you need a newer firmware to start the games, but you can easily just cancel this and then the game simply wont start.

So yes, you can update all games safely, but then you might not get the game to start. You can always delete the downloaded update though, then the game should work again i think :)

Cloak

Wax Free Vanilla said:
yes, all games by sony now have 3.60 updates.

I thought Infamous 2 does work. On the "PS3 Backup Compatibility List" it states: Requires modified EBOOT.BIN.

Speaking of which, how do I do that exactly? Has anyone done this for Infamous 2?

I'm planning on picking up the game this weekend.

MarkMclovin said:
This is why I was asking, but it takes ages for some games to install. Unless MM now does it faster?

Just let it run while you do something else. I recall it being faster recently.

Top Bottom