• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

test_account

XP-39C²
Cloak said:
I thought Infamous 2 does work. On the "PS3 Backup Compatibility List" it states: Requires modified EBOOT.BIN.

Speaking of which, how do I do that exactly? Has anyone done this for Infamous 2?

I'm planning on picking up the game this weekend.
Infamous 2 works with modified eboot, but if you download the latest patch, then it wont work.

N.A

Banned
Scogger HD 0.1 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/Scogger_HD

scogger1.png

scogger3.png

I'm thinking of going back to OFW.

There are a few games and some DLC that I want to play in the near future and i'm not using the emulators nearly as much as I thought I would. Showtime improvements for MKVs are also moving at a snails pace. I also want to claim the PSN downtime rewards (I don't think my account is banned - I don't think anyone was banned over hacks actually).

I figure that if an exploit is found, I could just rejoin the CFW bandwagon in future. What I want to ask is - what is the most thorough way of wiping the HDD of all CFW related files and making the transition back to CFW?

I NEED SCISSORS said:

There are a few games and some DLC that I want to play in the near future and i'm not using the emulators nearly as much as I thought I would. Showtime improvements for MKVs are also moving at a snails pace. I also want to claim the PSN downtime rewards (I don't think my account is banned - I don't think anyone was banned over hacks actually).

I figure that if an exploit is found, I could just rejoin the CFW bandwagon in future. What I want to ask is - what is the most thorough way of wiping the HDD of all CFW related files and making the transition back to CFW?

Format your HDD.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I NEED SCISSORS said:

http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/Return_to_Official_Firmware

BKK

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wbdrjtbnk8sbm1n

MAME - 'Preview' Release

Originally Posted by Robo Hobo:

Attached is a preview release of MAME 0.142. It's still a little rough around the edges, but it is usable. I hope to improve it greatly over the next couple of weeks, so please post any issues, feature requests, or complaints to the issue tracker on the google code page.

Due to the large file size a version run through package-finalize is not provided. If you use a CFW where this is required you will need to run it yourself.

Code:
Unofficial MAME 0.142 PS3 GameOS port
http://code.google.com/p/psmame/

Installing:
  Install the psmame package onto your jailbroken PS3 using normal means.
  By default all data paths for mame are located under /dev_hdd0/ROMS/mame_data.
  ROMS themselves can be placed anywhere and their location chosen with the frontend. The recommended path is /dev_hdd0/ROMS/mame.

Default controls:
  As of right now the only defined controls are R3 to open the MAME config menu, Select for coin, and Start for starting the game.
  Further control changes can be made in the MAME config menu as needed.
  Up to four controllers can be used at one time.

Frontend:
  The frontend can display screenshots of games, these should be placed in /dev_hdd0/ROMS/mame_data/snaps. You can find a full set at http://www.progettosnaps.net/snaps_en.html

Paths:
  Under /dev_hdd0/ROMS/mame_data
    hash:	path to hash files
    samples:	path to samplesets
    artwork:	path to artwork files
    ctrlr:	path to controller definitions
    ini:	path to ini files
    font:	path to font files
    cheat:	path to cheat files
    crosshair:	path to crosshair files
    snaps:	path to screenshots for frontend

Under /dev_hdd0/game/MAME90000/USRDIR/data
    cfg:	directory to save configurations
    nvram:	directory to save nvram contents,
    memcard:	directory to save memory card contents
    inp:	directory to save input device logs
    sta:	directory to save states
    snap:	directory to save screenshots
    diff:	directory to save hard drive image difference files
    comments:	directory to save debugger comments

Known issues
  When adding ROMs into your ROM dir, you must tell the frontend to rescan them. This can be done in the R3 menu.
  The display currently only supports scaling by pixel aspect ratio. Future versions will support various aspect correction modes.
  Changing video settings in the menu may crash MAME, they don't work anyway so don't bother.
  Games which require a recompiler will not run.
  Games which have high memory requirements will not run, the PS3 only has a little of 220MB of RAM available.
  The default controls will need to be tweaked by the user.

Cloak

test_account said:
Infamous 2 works with modified eboot, but if you download the latest patch, then it wont work.

Ok, I won't download the latest patch. But what is modifying the eboot stuff is about. This is the first time I've run into this situation. how would you go about doing this? or is that not legal to talk about here?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Machado said:
are you going to play the game without paying for it?

That's a slippery slope you're heading down.

"Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere"

Gvaz

Banned
Last I checked, everyone here assumes you have a legal copy and are backing it up. Modifying eboots for something you own in this fashion should be fine.

I'm very tempted to go back to original firmware if a 3.60 cfw isn't out soon:/ Did anyone find a way to use the netflix client on cfw yet?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Machado said:
have you ever borrowed a game from a friend?

I'm sure that's where you were going with that comment. :p

BoboBrazil said:
I'm very tempted to go back to original firmware if a 3.60 cfw isn't out soon:/ Did anyone find a way to use the netflix client on cfw yet?

Yeah, if there's nothing by Uncharted 3, I'll be going back to OFW.

Machado said:
alright. I'm sorry.

:)

Cloak

Machado said:
are you going to play the game without paying for it?

Umm no... i just picked it up from Best Buy. Technically I didn't pay for it since Best Buy sent me a certificate for being a rewards zone member, so there :)

Anyway, I don't see any instructions on how to mod the eboot. If i'm not looking in the right place, please point me in the right direction. I mean i see some stuff on psx-scene about some mote tool or something to that effect.

Not in a big rush to play Infamous 2, since i still have to go through LA Noire, and I'm picking up Zelda:OoT (3DS) tomorrow. (had to use the certificate before the end of the month)

On a side note, I do find all the CFW, modding eboots, etc quite fascinating, since I came from a programming background... lol nothing this in-depth though.

Sarquiss_ said:
Is there anyway to jailbreak 3.60 or any upcoming CFW which will allow homebrew? Was really looking forward to having FBA :(

Noone knows, but it is not looking very good. If anything does come out it will be for someone upgrading from 3.55.

N.A

Banned
multiMAN 02.01.00 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/MultiMAN

Grouping by Genre for Game/Favorite Columns (SQUARE)
Grouping by Emulator Type for Retro column (SQUARE)
Grouping by title name (alphabetically) for Music (SQUARE), Game, Favorites, Retro columns (SELECT+SQUARE)
Info pop-up during music playback
Removed duplicate entries (by name) in Photo and Music XMMB columns
BD Remote: [SLOW<<]/[SLOW>>] will change playback volume
BD Remote: [BLUE] will switch to File Manager and back
BD Remote: [GREEN] will turn on the Screensaver
SELECT+START will switch to File Manager and back

BKK

Cobra USB have added PS2 ISO support from internal HDD for semi-BC models (CECHC & CECHE). More impressively they've also unlocked Sony's abandoned full software PS2 emulator for non-BC models, but it runs slow, is buggy, and has no virtual memory card support. Slim models also require the joypad to be connected via USB. Ironically fully BC models (CECHA & CECHB) are the only models not currently supported, but they say they are working on this. Hopefully someone will be able to port these developments to CFW.

http://www.cobra-usb.com/index.html

We have released Cobra Firmware v2.0 and Cobra USB Manager v2.0, which are both available from the downloads page. Changes in this release include:

Added the ability to play PS2 ISO backups from CECHC and CECHE backwards compatible consoles. Support for the remaining backwards compatible models, CECHA and CECHB, will come in a future update

PS3, PSX, DVD and BluRay ISO's can now be played without a real disc inserted in the PS3. Support for discless PS2 backups will come in a future update

Added an option for those users without a PS2 backwards compatible PS3 (including Slims) to test PS2 original games and ISO backups using the PS2 software only emulator which is by default included with all PS3's. Please note however that as the software only emulator is slow and very buggy, this feature is disabled by default and is only intended as a gimmick

Cobra USB manager can now make PS3 ISO's from backups in the standard "Jailbreak" directory format, using the copy function

Cobra USB manager is now less strict with cue / bin filenames

Bugfix: Cobra USB Manager was unable to get the PSX CD-ROM/CD-R title, and displayed "PSX-CDROM" instead

Bugfix: Under rare circumstances, Cobra USB Manager could dump invalid PS3 discs

The user manuals have been updated to reflect the changes in the v2.0 release. In addition, we have released a PC-side genps3iso tool which can convert backups dumped in the standard "Jailbreak" directory format to the ISO format supported by Cobra. As mentioned above, this is also supported directly within Cobra USB Manager however the process is faster and in our opinion easier to perform on the PC.

BKK said:
Cobra USB have added PS2 ISO support from internal HDD for semi-BC models (CECHC & CECHE). More impressively they've also unlocked Sony's abandoned full software PS2 emulator for non-BC models, but it runs slow, is buggy, and has no virtual memory card support. Slim models also require the joypad to be connected via USB. Ironically fully BC models (CECHA & CECHB) are the only models not currently supported, but they say they are working on this. Hopefully someone will be able to port these developments to CFW.

http://www.cobra-usb.com/index.html

Interesting! Probably won't have any playable games, but this is neat.

Momo

Banned
^Does this mean someone could port and optimize some of the functions of the PC emu over and integrate it into the official one to make it less buggy?

test_account

XP-39C²
Momo said:
^Does this mean someone could port and optimize some of the functions of the PC emu over and integrate it into the official one to make it less buggy?
If this should work, i think that someone have to be able to make some working link between the two emulators. Not sure if that is possible or beneficial.

EDIT: Wait, is there any official 100% software PS2 emulator from Sony themself? Seeing that it says "abandoned".

BKK

Momo said:

Don't have the source code for Sony's emulator, so that would be extremely unlikely. Maybe it would be possible to hack in stuff like VMC support from Sony's PS2 emulator for BC models.

androvsky

Added an option for those users without a PS2 backwards compatible PS3 (including Slims) to test PS2 original games and ISO backups using the PS2 software only emulator which is by default included with all PS3's. Please note however that as the software only emulator is slow and very buggy, this feature is disabled by default and is only intended as a gimmick

I was wondering if they pulled this from the older firmware (2.50, iirc) that made it relatively easy to enable the emulator, but the bolded makes it sounds like Sony's still including it with every firmware. Which would mean they probably haven't updated it in two years, no wonder it's considered abandoned. Of course, that doesn't mean Sony necessarily stopped working on it, they just haven't been updating the files that probably shouldn't be in retail firmware in the first place.

In short, it's really strange a buggy as hell, mostly useless PS2 emulator has been left in the firmware for at least two years. Although, if it hasn't changed since 2.50, it should run Twisted Metal: Black fine.

BKK

Right, there's three PS2 emulators in the FW:

ps2_emu (Full HW BC PS3s)
ps2_gxemu (Semi HW BC PS3s)
ps2_softemu (Full SW PS3s)

Apparently the full SW emulator could be used in service mode on non-BC PS3s upto FW 2.60, presumably for testing by SCEI staff. When videos of this appeared on Youtube Sony blocked the ability to use it in service mode from FW 2.70, but they never completely removed it from the FW.

I believe it was London Studio who was working on the PS2 emulator at the time, I guess Sony felt Playstation Home was more important than PS2 BC :/

androvsky

BKK said:
Right, there's three PS2 emulators in the FW:

ps2_emu (Full HW BC PS3s)
ps2_gxemu (Semi HW BC PS3s)
ps2_softemu (Full SW PS3s)

Apparently the full SW emulator could be used in service mode on non-BC PS3s upto FW 2.60, presumably for testing by SCEI staff. When videos of this appeared on Youtube Sony blocked the ability to use it in service mode from FW 2.70, but they never completely removed it from the FW.

I believe it was London Studio who was working on the PS2 emulator at the time, I guess Sony felt Playstation Home was more important than PS2 BC :/

Yeah, I know that was the going assumption, but everyone tried to find loopholes (faked videos, the filenames mean something else, etc). It's nice to finally nail down the existence of the emulator, too bad it doesn't work well.

If Sony was trying to get software emulation done for the PS3's launch originally, and by early 2009 it was still mostly useless, I can see why they'd want to put it on the back burner and start working on HD collections. Even if there has been a breakthrough in emulation (Sony was still trying to get Sega interested as of August 2009), I suspect Gamestop still selling used PS2 games dampens their enthusiasm to release it somewhat.

Jaicrab, a well known Spanish developer, has announced a new custom firmware project that he has been working on. Now before gamers get too excited, they should expect that this new custom firmware will be based on 3.55 and will not allow the playback of 3.6x games. With that being stated, it appears Jaicrab has some exciting new features planned for his CFW.

One such feature, will be the ability to multitask applications. For example, if a user is playing a game they'd also be able to FTP into their system, if they so choose.

In addition, he plans to include CobraUSB functionality without the necessity of the costly dongle. The inclusion of free CobraUSB functionality does seem very plausible. Jaicrab recently published a block of hex code prefaced by "Greetings to the Cobra TEAM", which leads us to believe he has decrypted the official dongle.

Furthermore, he states that there will be a Startup Plugins Manager included in his CFW, but he didn't elaborate on it's functionality.

In the works:
Including:
- Startup Plugins Manager.
- Multi tasking apps/Apps running while doing something else.
- Payload load before entering XMB. Free Cobra Payload.

so a ps3 version of cwcheat would be possible?

Gvaz

Banned
they should expect that this new custom firmware will be based on 3.55 and will not allow the playback of 3.6x games

Any interest I had immediately went from hope to dismay in the shortest time possible.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
so a ps3 version of cwcheat would be possible?

We don't really need CWCheat though? there's cheat packages now, those are good enough. I'd rather people invest time in 3.6x

Chesskid1

Banned
http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/full-qa-flagging-method-revealed-button-combo-token-45/

QA flagging button combo + token revealed

hopefully we learn more about what can be done with it cause i have no clue.

"QA flag is the internal console flag used by Sony, it enables hidden options and removes restrictions for both retail and debug consoles alike. It is used for QA centers and the R&D Department, there are 2 levels of QA flags, Minimum and Advanced."

N.A

Banned
Melhisedek said:
Please excuse me for my ignorance but what does it do?

Allows you to activate PSN Games/DLC. Piracy essentially.

Also allows retail pkg installation on non-CFW machines (though you need CFW to flag your console).

It's pretty useless essentially, though the more people understand about how the firmware works the closer we'll get to a 3.60+ CFW.

Edit:

Full list of options (from http://ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=QA_Flagging#Setting_QA_Flag_.26_Token_:

DTCP-IP on-off
ATRAC on/off
WMA on/off
NP Enviroment enviroment
Fake Free Space (for CEX) on/off
Fake Limit Size X MB
NP Debug on/off
NPDRM Debug on/off
Edy Debug on/off
Nav-only NP on/off
Cdda Server Production/?
Crash Report on/off
Crash reporter Status Ready/Busy/Never be calles
VSH Crash Dump Generator on/off
System Update Debug on/off
Information Board QA Server on/off
Format Marlin Personal Data ?
PlaystationRStore Ad Clock on/off
Geo Filtering for PlaystationRStore ?
Remove Game License ?
Home Debug on/off
Delete Trophy Personal Data ?
GameUpdate Impose Test on/off
Network Emulation Setting on/off
Auto-Off Debug on/off
NAT Traversal Information on/off
Internet Browser Debug on/off
SMSS REsult Output on/off
Adhoc SSID Prefix PSP/?
Disc Auto-Start at System Startup
3D Video Output Automatic/On
Fake NP SNS Throttle Off (60 sec)/ On (0,10,120,2600,closed)
Debug for HDD Exchange Utility
Push Console Binding on/off
Automatic Download on/off
Motion Controller Calibration Result

Gvaz said:
Any interest I had immediately went from hope to dismay in the shortest time possible.

We don't really need CWCheat though? there's cheat packages now, those are good enough. I'd rather people invest time in 3.6x

those cheat packages are garbage.

cwcheat with its database system and universal screen grabber on ps3 would be awesome. it needs to happen.

Gvaz

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:
those cheat packages are garbage.

cwcheat with its database system and universal screen grabber on ps3 would be awesome. it needs to happen.
I forgot it was CWCheat that allowed the screenshot feature.

I take back what I said, consoles need screenshot features.

Question.

On the first page are the listed url's to block if connecting your ps3 via ethernet to have multiman provide updates.

Played a few games recently and its asked if I want to download game updates - Infamous 2 being one of them. Chose the system update option an it brought up 3.66 update found.

My router still has the blocked URL stored on the flash chip.

Have any new urls come into play?

test_account

XP-39C²
Rabid Wolverine said:
Question.

On the first page are the listed url's to block if connecting your ps3 via ethernet to have multiman provide updates.

Played a few games recently and its asked if I want to download game updates - Infamous 2 being one of them. Chose the system update option an it brought up 3.66 update found.

My router still has the blocked URL stored on the flash chip.

Have any new urls come into play?
No idea about new urls, but cant you just check your router or firewall logs after turning on the PS3 and see which urls that are being accessed?

besiktas1 said:
So unless something advances soon I'm guessing pretty much all of us reverting back when uncharted hits right?
ico/sotc collection for me, but yeah, building a HTPC which will be replacing most of my cfw uses

Top Bottom