• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

somebody has released a qa flagging .pkg

The process has been so simplified, that even the most novice of users will be able to enable the mode with ease. It's as simple as running the app and listening for a beep. If users hear the beep after running the app, then the QA process was successful. If users don't hear the beep, then they are being urged to dump their debug messages via udp_printf on Linux and send them to the developer. Once the messages have been received, the developer will examine them and work on a fix. It should also be noted, that the app has only been tested on 3.41 and 3.55 firmwares.

hopefully this thing leads to a 3.66 cfw with plugin/background app support.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont think that this will lead much to 3.56+ CFW. If i'm not mistaken, all of these QA settings have been available for months on the Rebug CFW. That is the debug firmware though, but still it havnt lead to any 3.56+ CFW.

Damn, SRW OGs 2 and the Ico collection are going to make me drop CFW.
I've already missed on a couple of 3.60 games (got them for 360 in some cases) and I'm pretty sure if I move forward and go back to OFW:
- there will be no turning back, ever.
- in the following month, the CFW will be upgradable. :(

A dual boot would be nice at least.

Palette Swap said:
Damn, SRW OGs 2 and the Ico collection are going to make me drop CFW.
I've already missed on a couple of 3.60 games (got them for 360 in some cases) and I'm pretty sure if I move forward and go back to OFW:
- there will be no turning back, ever.
- in the following month, the CFW will be upgradable. :(

A dual boot would be nice at least.
Yeah, same here. I'm still on 3.55 OFW and don't use the PS3 that much, but it would be nice to update GT5 to the latest patch (which forces 3.60) and do some seasonal races (which is an online function). I'm not really interested in playing games from my HDD and other than that I don't see a reason for me to install a CFW (I have a HTPC), but I fear that few weeks after I update, some crazy of mindblowing things are released for CFW users and then I'm all like "yeah, great ...". But it's probably more realistic that this scene is going to be like JTAG modding for the 360. Very niche, very little development with some cool things here and there, but nothing astounding.

Am I soon going to have to make the decision to either keep homebrew or upgrade to play Journey?

What's the latest on having both PSN and Homebrew?

test_account

XP-39C²
brotkasten said:
but I fear that few weeks after I update, some crazy of mindblowing things are released for CFW users and then I'm all like "yeah, great ...". But it's probably more realistic that this scene is going to be like JTAG modding for the 360. Very niche, very little development with some cool things here and there, but nothing astounding.
In comparison, how long did it take before something crazy stuff came along for the Wii and the PSP? The PS3 has been hackable for almost 1 year now (since the 3.41 dongle came).

gingerbeardman said:
Am I soon going to have to make the decision to either keep homebrew or upgrade to play Journey?

What's the latest on having both PSN and Homebrew?
No news as far as i know. But it is probably only a question of time. However, that time can be 1 week or 1 year for all that we know.

With the falling price of a PS3slim, surely there's never been a better time to buy a new PS3 for Sony approved entertainment, whilst keeping your old one for the really cool stuff....

kurtrussell said:
With the falling price of a PS3slim, surely there's never been a better time to buy a new PS3 for Sony approved entertainment, whilst keeping your old one for the really cool stuff....
But the question is, what's the "really cool stuff"? Loading games from HDD? Playing emulators and roms?

brotkasten said:
But the question is, what's the "really cool stuff"? Loading games from HDD? Playing emulators and roms?

The iminent Dreamcast emulator. Believe.

EDIT:
I'd actually consider it worthwhile having a separate PS3 if the following were fulfilled:

- Pretty damn near to complete MAME port
- DC Emu
- Region free Bluray playback
- Support for playing my PS2 games as ISOs so I can finally pop them up in the loft
- The ability to store my PS3 games that I don't care about getting trophies on in my the bedroom for casual play before sleep.

About 50% of that is here already. The rest will follow. I suppose it's up to everyone's individual opinions on whether it's worth having a separate phat PS3 for that, but if there was a box on the market that could do all of the above, priced at what a second hand Phat is going for, I'm sure people would be jumping at it.

N.A

Banned
Showtime Media Player 2.99.534 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/Showtime

Popup menu redesigned a bit
Add support for Windows 1251 codepage
upnp: Make sure that we really find subtitles when doing a blind probe. This bug has caused problems for some people making some video not start at all.
Make it possible to enter credentials in the auth popup that is not saved to disk
Add support for passing mimetypes internally. This speed up media loading and playback start.
ps3: Update XMB icon (better centered)
Make SRT subtitle discovery better
Add support for setting subtitle output delay
Add seek-by-thumbnail in the command popup menu (looks very bad on ps3 at the moment though)
ui: Redesign the auth popup
Improve the setting views
ps3: Add support for BD remote
Add support for cycling between audio and subtitle tracks using a single button
Make presentation of audio and subtitle tracks better
Improve subtitle rendering. There is a lot of changes here. see bc0cf58e and 76142920
ps3: Display all reasonable entries found in system VFS root as services on their own
ps3: If display operates in non-square pixel 16:9 mode, scale UI accordingly
Use libav.org's recently released 0.7 version (with a couple of bug fixes on top)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I have a 40GB PS3 with 3.55 kmeaw, and I want to get inFamous 2... I know there is an eboot fix of some sort, but can the game be played from disc?

I'm asking mainly because my internal has barely any space in it, and the external hdds I have are NTFS :/ (and don't want to reformat or update just yet)

N.A

Banned
X05 said:
I have a 40GB PS3 with 3.55 kmeaw, and I want to get inFamous 2... I know there is an eboot fix of some sort, but can the game be played from disc?

I'm asking mainly because my internal has barely any space in it, and the external hdds I have are NTFS :/ (and don't want to reformat or update just yet)

It cannot be played from the disc. You'll need about 14GB of free space for the game.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
N.A said:
It cannot be played from the disc. You'll need about 14GB of free space for the game.
Bummer :(, guess I'll update or create a new partition on some external disk then.

N.A

Banned
FBAnext r478 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/FBAnext

(Changes since r454)
* (PS3) Set audio samplerate from 48030 to 48020 - still no audio crackles
* (PS3) Cleaned up PSGL video driver - cut down on code duplication, made a lot of the OpenGL namespace static functions into macros (so they can be inserted straight into vid_psgl.cpp - where they are needed) - moved the static variables from vid_psgl.h to vid_psgl.cpp
* (PS3) Removed broken shader 2xSaL-HD.cg
* (PS3) You can change the aspect ratio now from the ingame menu.
* (PS3) Aspect ratio revamp of code - the following aspect ratios are now possible - 4:3, 5:4, 7:5, 8:7, 12:7, 16:9, 16:10, 16:15, 1:1, 2:1, 3:2, and Custom (Resized) aspect ratio mode. Custom resize aspect ratio mode is the previously existing resized mode - you can also switch to this resized mode in case you have selected another aspect ratio from the ingame menu by going to 'Screen Resize' and then exiting again.
* (PS3) Shaders can now be switched from the ingame menu - press left or right on D-pad or analog stick to switch between shaders, and load the shader by pressing the CROSS button.
* (PS3) Bugfix - when a shader was loaded - only the fragment program was loaded - and the vertex program from the previous shader would remain active. Now both vertex and fragment programs get updated with the ones from the shader being loaded.
* (PS3) Implemented frame advance in ingame menu - press either the CROSS button or press and hold R2 at your leisure to frame advance.
* (PS3) Main emulation loop improvements - audio function is now a straight call to audio_check instead of first going through the audio interface class (audio.check) - put the 'case EMULATING:' block inside a do-while loop - not only is this faster (because we don't have to go through the whole switch again to see if GameStatus == EMULATING is true - but it will also allow us to do frame advance from within the ingame menu.
* (PS3) No more seperate sound class to go through - AudioInterface for PS3 now implements audio_check, audio_init, audio_constructor, audio_destructor and on in its member functions (static functions).
* (PS3) Neo Geo driver performance improvements - nBurnBpp is always 4 for PS3 (32bit color) - so the function pointers for sprite and text layer rendering are not necessary and the switches can be avoided
* (Core) CPS1/CPS2 performance improvements - CPS2 games now have their own Frame function - Cps2Frame - also removed a lot of the CPS1/CPS2 branches that occurred along the way - cut down on function pointer usage
* (Core) Neo-Geo - Split up NeoFrame into two - one is for games that do not render line by line (the vast majority of the games - NeoFrame) and the other is for the games that do (Zedblade, Neodrift, and another game).
* (360/PS3) Replaced most sound-related while loops into do-while
* (PS3/360) Performance improvements for CPS1/CPS2 driver - moved qs_z and qs_c.cpp to qs.cpp - made a lot of static functions into macros - plus did some other optimizations. A lot faster now on PS3. * (PS3) Ifdeffed all branches for nInterpolation - is always set at 1 - so we can avoid the branches per frame. Will perhaps make for a nice optimization for 360 as well.
* (PS3/360) Made more SH2 opcodes into macros
* (PS3/360) Turned most SH2 opcode inline functions into macros. NOTE: This is necessary on PS3 because the compiler doesn't inline shit and dabbling with the inlining limit switches only ends up with worse performance - ghetto inlining/macroizing functions is the most reliable way of inlining. Should not have any adverse effects on 360. Improved performance on PS3.
* (PS3) Audio driver performance optimizations - big lag decrease
* (PS3/360) InputTick only used once - so dropped straight into place where it's called.
* (PS3 / 360) Avoid most of the indirect function calls for input / video

N.A

Banned
New CFW coming from various devs (based on 3.41, but with lots of nice features):

First before anything we want to clarify that this thread is dedicated to community members and therefore DHorg the comments made about what this information is or is no longer cause is nothing more than mere envy, oppression, or dispute. So left out the date of publication and are linked to circumstances that you can slow down or speed up publication.

We will inform you as the evolution of JFW and what their news, which I will quote them below:

Percentage Level of Development

-Core Central 100%
-Payload Cobra 50%
-Linux 90%
-Preloader 90%
-Categories xmb 90%
-Managers 0%
-TheGrid 90%
-Services Packs 0%

New categories such as Multimedia, PS # Loader, TheGrid, Homebrew put aside the typical native application.
Photos, Music, Videos, TV disappear to make way for Multimedia.

New Multimedia Category

This new category gives rise to a union of native options like photo, music and video.
This new category will appear the famous player Showtime, which already includes the possibility of a single application in many more options than what they offered us the categories natively native officers.

-Listen to music
-Being able to see videos like avi, mpeg, xvid, divx, MKV including
-View photos
-Demand movies
-TV-Channel

New Category PS # Loader

This new category was born to take charge from now manage the contents of the old sony consoles, this means that both PS1/PS2/Minis Games and Los saves these become part of this new category, freeing imnecesarios to GAME icon.

It is also where you store the backups RetroLoader (aka modified cobrausb backup manager) responsible for managing the games ps1, ps2 and ps3

New category TheGrid

This new category includes the plugins manager, service packs.
Thégra is the name of the loader plugins, these plugins will give the console first choices, which the imagination of every developer could unleash the potential of this charger.

-Return of the online
-Updating keys
-Spoof Version
-Disable devices
-Mount Units
-Plugins level conbinacion buttons on the six
-Modification speedfun speed
-etc

New Homebrew Category

This new category includes all homebrew created to date, for it will have access to from where you can download OpenPStore the last hombrews etc. to be placed automatically at their place of origin and not as the previous game

Cobra Payload as JFW DH Plugin

At the moment due to problems outside the scene Jaicrab the development of this plugin been in a paused state

New Linux Item

The JFW DH was gonna be no less, that includes 2 options to use Linux back in the console, in this regard are:

-Install
-Boot

Preloader, recovery boot

The JFW DH includes a preloader that is responsible for:

-Back of the 3 RAW Flash to external media (USB)
-Flashing copies from an external drive (usb).
-Update the Preloader
-Home of the flash write access (not necessarily more alejandro or substitutes)

The advantages are not required reinstalling all the PUP (from hardware checks) do not need to do: composite or go through the recovery

Services Packs

These packs include the basics in order to use plugins, loaders, ftp, etc.

Compatibility with games and applications

-JFW DH uses a 341v2 core, this does not mean not being able to play all over now without patching.
-The JFW DH is compatible with games that include between 3.56 down, including the current patched to 3.55
-JFW DH runs natively games until 3.56 (original disks) without having to upgrade.
-Psn-games that require npdrm 356, are also supported without upgrading (the current cfw not give this support)
-No need for a valid signature on the executable
-Not going to make a port to 3.55 of this JFW DH, since it includes much more than himself 3.55

Members of the project:

Alejandro (special collaboration) = Central Core, security, preloader
Jaicrab = Core, central TheGrid, linux
DemonHades = xmb Categories, Organization, Implementations
DanteHades = Graphic Design, Theme
PS_Juan = Remodeling Categorie, Tester
Ing_pereira = Manager Creation, TheGrid
Borrego = Tester
Davje = documentation Editor
PSmaniaco = tester and contributor

N.A said:
New CFW coming from various devs (based on 3.41, but with lots of nice features):

Sounds really promising. The wonky English makes it hard to get a solid idea. Am I to assume this Firmware will have a Proper PS1 AND PS2 backup manager? Because that's what I've always wanted on my old 60GB Launch Model.

N.A

Banned
Choppasmith said:
Sounds really promising. The wonky English makes it hard to get a solid idea. Am I to assume this Firmware will have a Proper PS1 AND PS2 backup manager? Because that's what I've always wanted on my old 60GB Launch Model.

Yes, they are implementing the Cobra USB features (PS1/2 Backups) into the firmware.

N.A said:
Does the "based on 3.41" mean it will only work on 3.41 or earlier consoles, or will it be possible to get this onto 3.55 consoles as well?

N.A

Banned
endlessflood said:
Does the "based on 3.41" mean it will only work on 3.41 or earlier consoles, or will it be possible to get this onto 3.55 consoles as well?

Will be possible as long as your console has previously been on 3.41 or lower (consoles that shipped with >3.50 probably won't work).

N.A

Banned
FBAnext r486 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/FBAnext

(Changes since r478)

Cleaned up PSGL video driver – cut down on code duplication, made a lot of the OpenGL namespace static functions into macros (so they can be inserted straight into vid_psgl.cpp – where they are needed) – moved the static variables from vid_psgl.h to vid_psgl.cpp
Removed broken shader 2xSaL-HD.cg
Added Jararaca’s experimental retro shader
Cleaned up PSGL video driver code
Added some more aspect ratios from actual arcade games
Added dot.cg shader
Bilinear filtering can be turned on/off from the ingame menu
Added rotation options to ingame menu.
Changed audio samplerate from 48020 to 48010.
Commented out VidSScaleImage in all of the rendering functions – is no longer needed
Auto-aspect ratio modes – select this aspect ratio to automatically determine the correct aspect ratio for the game you’re loading and then automatically use it. There are two automatic aspect ratio modes – ‘Auto’ and ‘Auto FBA’ – ‘Auto’ does some calculations to arrive at the correct aspect ratio while ‘Auto FBA’ uses FBA’s built-in aspect ratio settings for each game.
Cleaned up PSGL video driver
Some video optimizations to do with three nested for loops
CPS3 – Palette change was only being done when loading/saving a state – putting this inside the Draw Frame function was unnecessary when cps3_palette_change was only set to 1 once in cps3Scan – so moved the color palette changing to cps3Scan and out of the main frame function. Tested on both 360 and PS3 – nothing is affected by this.
Speed improvements to burn.cpp and burnint.h – static functions which are only used once in one function inserted straight in – in particular, biggest improvement came from turning DrvClearOpposites into a macro. Button input is now blisteringly fast – tested on both PS3 and 360.

N.A

Banned
multiMAN 02.02.00 released: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/MultiMAN

Added: Multilingual Support (22 languages)
Changed: 2304 entries per XMMB column
Added: Caching of XMMB Video column to speed up boot process
Added: MP3 pop-up info box in XMMB and File Manager
Added: "Motion Sensor" setting in XMMB SETTINGS column
Added: Motion sensitivity (waving left/right the dualshock controller changes display modes)
Added: Debug mode (hold L2+R2 during boot). It will allow downloading official update, even if you're on the same version.
Fixed: Issues with coverflow display mode
Fixed: Lock when too many AVCHD or Video titles present
Fixed: Retro column not sorted after returning from emulator
Changed: Behavior of "Refresh" buttons in XMMB multiMAN column and "System Settings" menu

Man

Has anything developed further in regards to OtherOs/Linux and Cell programmability since Feb/March period? I see they are messing around with PSGL in the above update notes.

I have a PS3 set aside with 3.55 and I downloaded the Linux files etc in February that was needed but I haven't done anything with it yet.

N.A

Banned
Man said:
Has anything developed further in regards to OtherOs/Linux and Cell programmability since Feb/March period? I see they are messing around with PSGL in the above update notes.

I have a PS3 set aside with 3.55 and I downloaded the Linux files etc in February that was needed but I haven't done anything with it yet.

Gitbrew are working on an RSX driver.

Sew

Anyone playing much DOSBox? I got it up and running last night, just looking for a bit of inspiration on what's fun to play on the TV. The one game I've put on is Battle of Britain: Their Finest Hour, which rocks with USB mouse & keyboard.

Shaneus

Sew said:
Anyone playing much DOSBox? I got it up and running last night, just looking for a bit of inspiration on what's fun to play on the TV. The one game I've put on is Battle of Britain: Their Finest Hour, which rocks with USB mouse & keyboard.
I might have a bit of a play with it at some stage. I'm keen to see how easy it is to transplant GOG stuff into it, would be a great selling point for homebrew if the older stuff on GOG was 100% playable.

Rich!

kurtrussell said:
The iminent Dreamcast emulator. Believe.

EDIT:
I'd actually consider it worthwhile having a separate PS3 if the following were fulfilled:

- Pretty damn near to complete MAME port
- DC Emu
- Region free Bluray playback
- Support for playing my PS2 games as ISOs so I can finally pop them up in the loft
- The ability to store my PS3 games that I don't care about getting trophies on in my the bedroom for casual play before sleep.

About 50% of that is here already. The rest will follow. I suppose it's up to everyone's individual opinions on whether it's worth having a separate phat PS3 for that, but if there was a box on the market that could do all of the above, priced at what a second hand Phat is going for, I'm sure people would be jumping at it.

already available with a hack. I can watch all my USA blu rays on my UK ps3.

MMaRsu

Banned
So funny(?) that after all this shit Sony did to create a non hackable PSN or whatever, CFW users can already login to PSN once again. No ways of playing games aside from Demon Souls I think.

test_account

XP-39C²
MMaRsu said:
So funny(?) that after all this shit Sony did to create a non hackable PSN or whatever, CFW users can already login to PSN once again. No ways of playing games aside from Demon Souls I think.
The improved PSN security was to stop people from gaining unauthorized access to the PSN servers through hacking, as in getting access to user files, passwords and creditcard information. Login in to PSN with CFW normally through a PS3 does not give you any unauthorized access in that sense, so PSN is just as secure regardless of this. Kinda like that you can connect to Xbox Live if you have a hacked DVD firmware. You probably get banned quickly, but at least the connection works. Xbox Live is still just as secure regardless :) I know what you mean, but the extra security was not mainly focused on keeping CFW PS3s from connecting.

Any info on the newest CFW PSN workaround btw?

EDIT: Nevermind, i found the info over at psx-scene.com =)

besiktas1

criesofthepast said:
Well, this scene died fast.
Yep :( i wonder what it was to kill it. Sueing people or closing up the unclosable system? I'm guessing it's a bit of both. Scaring people to check for further vunrabilities.

test_account

XP-39C²
besiktas1 said:
Yep :( i wonder what it was to kill it. Sueing people or closing up the unclosable system? I'm guessing it's a bit of both. Scaring people to check for further vunrabilities.
I wonder if it has more to do with lack of interest or difficulty. Everything that can on firmware 3.66 can be done on firmware 3.55, so there is no reason to wait to make homebrew. But it seems to take time and be more difficult to make some cool homebrew for the PS3, at least i'm under that impression.

onQ123

besiktas1 said:

I think it's the fact that it's a connected console & online is a big part of it & the things you get out of home brew is better off done on a PC not really worth the back & forth for having a hacked PS3, this is coming from a guy that's been into the homebrew thing since I learned how to create my own menus for Dreamcast EMUs when I was a teen but for some reason I never even felt tempted to hack a PS3 or 360 because they give you most of the things that you want already, even things like playing old school games on a new console PSN,Live & Wiiware already give you the chance to do this stuff so the cool factor is mostly gone from hacking the new consoles.

well that's the way I see it

Gvaz

Banned
Most of the hacking now just helps piracy and people want to get the fame from releases and since they can't get fame unless they want to turn into the next geohot they don't bother.

The hackers who cracked it open are already done because the point for them was to get their linux back and to show how easy it was to crack.

besiktas1 said:
Simple. The benefits of installing 3.55 CFW are minuscule compared to hacking the Wii or PS2 or PSP. There are a few emulators and the backup manager is pretty much worthless, or at least will be once all games are built with newer SDKs. And you lose a fuck ton of functionality in the process, which is ironic since hacking normally gives you more for less, not the other way around.

Gvaz

Banned
Neither is wii backups. You have to make sure your IOS files are all updated and be sure to force certain aspects in the loader.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's unfortunate that the "scene" has stalled. I told myself I'd upgrade to the latest firmware come Uncharted 3 if no progress has been made with a higher-version CFW, but considering I now have a handful of Region A BDs I may instead buy a Slim for new(er) games and keep the "fat" PS3 as a region-free BD player.

Here's hoping for a price cut at Gamescom.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm probably going to play what games I have left/interested me, and either rent or buy the rest. I don't care about uncharted 3 since I haven't touched the others, but I want The Last Guardian and the ICO/SOTC remakes.

jonnyp

JaseC said:
It's unfortunate that the "scene" has stalled. I told myself I'd upgrade to the latest firmware come Uncharted 3 if no progress has been made with a higher-version CFW, but considering I now have a handful of Region A BDs I may instead buy a Slim for new(er) games and keep the "fat" PS3 as a region-free BD player.

Here's hoping for a price cut at Gamescom.

JaseC, I'm thinking of doing the same but I was wondering if you could answer me if Showtime or Multiman autimatically detects BD region for the discs and auto-plays it or is it still necessary to manuall run the BD region patch before watching a movie?

Gvaz

Banned
You don't have to manually run the patch for anything, you install it once and that's it you can watch movies at any time afaik

Top Bottom