• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

MMaRsu

Banned
kamorra said:
I'm in the process to install Wutangrza CFW. He, wish me luck.

I wish you luck!

What are the benefits of his CFW and the disadvantages? Like can you still install PKG files?

Rur0ni

MMaRsu said:
I wish you luck!

What are the benefits of his CFW and the disadvantages? Like can you still install PKG files?
It's basically OFW + peek/poke by flukes1. Really we're waiting on backup managers to introduce support.

N.A

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Significance? Is this the NPDRM keys? Is this the method that is used to decrypt NDPRM in general?

It doesn't have the keys. It's another example of the PS3's excellent security system where you can just tell the PS3 to decrypt something and it will.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
N.A said:
It doesn't have the keys. It's another example of the PS3's excellent security system where you can just tell the PS3 to decrypt something and it will.
It only does everything, indeed.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
MMaRsu said:
I wish you luck!

Hey it worked. Thanks for wishing me luck. :)

It has Peek & Poke but he didn't mess with Lv2 so it's much safer.

MMaRsu

Banned
brandonh83 said:
You know here real soon there'll be that one firmware, the one to get. I'm waiting for that one.

True and I think I will probably be sticking with geohots firmware until that one is out

MMaRsu said:
True and I think I will probably be sticking with geohots firmware until that one is out

Or, I could be wrong. Things could continue to get crazier and crazier, but I'm hoping that in the near future there'll be the one firmware to rule them all.

But until then I expect a lot of "well this one has this, but that one has THAT" and so on.

So unpredictable! And then there's the matter of stability.

Dambrosi

Banned
brandonh83 said:
You know here real soon there'll be that one firmware, the one to get. I'm waiting for that one.
And it BETTER have universal region-free. Especially on Fats. That's pretty much all I want.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
brandonh83 said:
Or, I could be wrong. Things could continue to get crazier and crazier, but I'm hoping that in the near future there'll be the one firmware to rule them all.

But until then I expect a lot of "well this one has this, but that one has THAT" and so on.

So unpredictable! And then there's the matter of stability.

Right now folks are just trying to get everything working under a single firmware. The rush to do so has resulted in many broken PS3's this morning.

The process should never be rushed and today people are left with the result of an arms race. Backups are at the heart of it and so is piracy. The want to pirate has led to many bricked PS3's today with those too excited to wait for a proper back up solution caught up with them.

The best advice right now is to wait if you want to backup your PS3 collection. Wait until the scene has established the process, the firmware and the programs used. Wait until the entire process has matured. There will be guides and videos and tutorials waiting for you.

If you just can't wait then you run the risk that awaits desperate pirates. Look before you leap. A few days, a week or two or a month won't hurt you and won't ruin your investment.

Dambrosi said:
And it BETTER have universal region-free. Especially on Fats. That's pretty much all I want.

Do you think it would be possible to play patched ps2 games on a dvd? I have a translated copy of FFXII int I wouldn't mind playing again on my 60gb.

LukeT

Neo Member
How far down the line is region free blu ray likely to be? Is it possible with what's currently known or will it take at lot more work and digging?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
LovingSteam said:
Is Multiman working for you?

Multiman needs to be modified in order for it work for it. Apparently tests done my some folks on IRC are going well. Someone has reported they got it working with a few changes made.

kikonawa

Launch SLIM 120GB PAL

upgraded from my 3.41fw (used a dongle)
trough recovery to official 3.55 (downloaded from playstation Site)

reboot .all went fine

Went to recovery again
installed the patched wakinko firmware .
update

all went ok :D

now the problem is whenever i try to execute some homebrew i allready installed i get an error message (8001009 or something like that)
I tried to install a pkg file via usb.that worked well
but executing it resulted in another error (same bunch of numbers i guess)

Did i skip a part ??

Anybody who doesn't wait a few days for things to stabilize is nuts IMO. I'm sitting tight with Geohot's original release, what's the rush?

3rdman

kikonawa said:
Launch SLIM 120GB PAL

upgraded from my 3.41fw (used a dongle)
trough recovery to official 3.55 (downloaded from playstation Site)

reboot .all went fine

Went to recovery again
installed the patched wakinko firmware .
update

all went ok :D

now the problem is whenever i try to execute some homebrew i allready installed i get an error message (8001009 or something like that)
I tried to install a pkg file via usb.that worked well
but executing it resulted in another error (same bunch of numbers i guess)

Did i skip a part ??
Is your package signed for 3.55? Otherwise it won't work...

By the way, does upgrading the FW in recovery mode erase your HDD?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
LovingSteam said:
Is Multiman working for you?

No, because of this:

Dani said:
Multiman needs to be modified in order for it work for it. Apparently tests done my some folks on IRC are going well. Someone has reported they got it working with a few changes made.

kikonawa

ah off course, i need a 3.55 version silly me

no, i immediately checked the system info and still got 55 of my 320gb(i replaced the 120 with a 320 before you ask ) free, so its quite stuffed

N.A

Banned
kikonawa said:
ah off course, i need a 3.55 version silly me

no, i immediately checked the system info and still got 55 of my 320gb(i replaced the 120 with a 320 before you ask ) free, so its quite stuffed

For waninkoko's firmware you'll actually need the signed 3.41 stuff. It's pretty hard to explain why but here are the 3 types of homebrew currently:

debug pkg/unsigned .elf -> Only works with jailbreak dongle.
debug pkg/signed .elf (commonly called "3.41 signed") -> Works with jailbreak dongle and waninkoko's firmware.
unsigned pkg/signed .elf (commonly called "3.55 signed") -> Only works on geohot's CFW (or Wutangrza's CFW with Geohot's CFW patch).

Essentially geohot's CFW removes the pkg signature checks but does not allow debug pkg's to install. Waninkoko's firmware and jailbroken 3.41 allow debug pkg install. Wutangrza's CFW doesn't allow debug packages to install but can remove the pkg signature checks by installing Geohot's CFW.

Once the .pkg is installed the signed .elf will work on any firmware.

Edit: Misread, it seems you installed Wutangrza's CFW. You'll need to install Geohot's patch on top of it then install homebrew that's ready for 3.55 (all the homebrew on http://www.pshomebrew.net is ready for 3.55)

Dambrosi

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Do you think it would be possible to play patched ps2 games on a dvd? I have a translated copy of FFXII int I wouldn't mind playing again on my 60gb.
Ooh, me too! Yeah, that sort of thing, but it'd be better if I could just back it up on the internal HDD, and then play it like a PSN game. That would be awesome as fuck.

Plus, of course, region-free Blu-Rays, DVDs and PS1 games. Without those, CFW is just a toy to me. With them, it would be indispensable!

*MKV support would be appreciated, but I've got PS3 Media Server for that, so eh.

angelfly

Dambrosi said:
Ooh, me too! Yeah, that sort of thing, but it'd be better if I could just back it up on the internal HDD, and then play it like a PSN game. That would be awesome as fuck.

Plus, of course, region-free Blu-Rays, DVDs and PS1 games. Without those, CFW is just a toy to me. With them, it would be indispensable!

*MKV support would be appreciated, but I've got PS3 Media Server for that, so eh.
Playing natively >>>> transcoding

Dambrosi

Banned
angelfly said:
Playing natively >>>> transcoding
Oh, I know it. Which is why I'd really appreciate it.

They don't even have to make a separate app for it - just add it to the codecs already on the machine. It can't be that hard!

N.A

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Damn so what's up with this rogero manager v7.8? It seems to be a working backup manager for waninkoko's firmware?

link to thread on nextgenupdate

If it's illegal to post this here forum then I'll remove the link..

The 3.41 version of Multiman works with Waninkoko's CFW too. But unless Waninkoko sorts out the bricking problems it's pretty useless for anyone who doesn't want to risk it.

skybaby

DOBERMAN INC said:
So what's up with Wutangrza's firmware? Haven't heard of any bricks yet.

Is it safe?
Yes, and it's the most elegant design, using flukes1 solution. Instead of patching the hell out of level2 (like geohot specifically said not to) like waninkoko did, the homebrew will only have to load it's own "syscalls", as read/write to memory fully works, just as in 3.41. Once the system is rebooted, no harm is done and everything is back in place.
Pity deank is up to it right now:
deank said:
I'm not going to make ANY modifications to multiMAN to support firmwares released just 1-2 days ago, which are not stable or if there is a brick warning along with them.

I did 2 things:

1) Added some stuff to multiMAN to handle games with hardlinks
2) Created a extremely easy to use application to convert your games to work with multiMAN.

The process involves 2 steps and works for 3.41 and 3.55 without syscalls or pokes in JB and RETAIL modes. It works for games on internal HDD only. This method doesn't support game updates yet, but it is better than nothing for 3.55 users.

Launch multiMAN, switch to FILE MANAGER, browse to the GAME folder:

1) PS3: Click [R3] while over the [PS3_FOLDER] and exit multiMAN
2) PC: drag the PS3_GAME folder to a small application I wrote.

The PC application will produce PKG files for 3.41 and 3.55. Pick the one you need and install if from [ * Install package files ] on your PS3.

That's it.

Dean

p.s. If there are people who wish to test it - I'll put an updated version of multiMAN and the PC app so you can try it.
from here: http://psx-scene.com/forums/688840-post2035.html

Durante

MMaRsu said:
Damn so what's up with this rogero manager v7.8? It seems to be a working backup manager for waninkoko's firmware?

link to thread on nextgenupdate

If it's illegal to post this here forum then I'll remove the link..
Well well...
This one actually works perfectly with every game I've tried so far. Now I can enjoy a Valkyria Chronicles skirmish any time without getting the BD :D

I realize it's pretty retarded to experiment with all this CFW stuff but is the best bet right now 3.55 Official FW -> 3.55 Wutang Patch -> 3.55 Geohot (for "install packages")?

Rur0ni

Saren is Bad said:
I realize it's pretty retarded to experiment with all this CFW stuff but is the best bet right now 3.55 Official FW -> 3.55 Wutang Patch -> 3.55 Geohot (for "install packages")?
Yep. Perfect.

3.55 OFW (recovery if on 3.55 geo already, else xmb)
3.55 Wutangrza (xmb)
3.55 Geo (xmb)

Edit: After doing this, you have package install capability, and you wait for signed backup manager that is modified/updated to work properly.

Jinko

From the dev who makes Rogero Manager

I already have now Wutangrza/Flukes1 CFW + Geohot JB installed on another slim Ps3 , I was trying to run a pre-compiled version of lv1dumper on it with no success, first it didn't install so i needed to sign it properly, then it installed but always freezes with Black screen, no output...
I was looking at the source code and I think it have to be re-written from scratch to have an SDK version of it.
Lastly, and which is the most important thing that i have noticed, this CFW don't have the app_home/PS3_GAME on the XMB => which means only Disc Loading or direct-Boot methods are allowed and no "Disc-Less" method available

I'll be leaving this for now to take care of some work, and I'll say it again, when Waninkoko update his CFW to a safer version, it will be the way to go, it's looking far more superior to FLukes1 CFW in terms of functionality, and if there wasn't some bricking involved, it would have been now the best choice for sure.

Anyway, I say "Thank You" for both of "Waninkoko" & "Flukes1" for the hard efforts they both offered to the scene.

Cheers

3rdman

Rur0ni said:
Yep. Perfect.

3.55 OFW (recovery if on 3.55 geo already, else xmb)
3.55 Wutangrza (xmb)
3.55 Geo (xmb)
Once a decent BM is confirmed working on that loadout, I'm be doing exactly that. Hopefully in the next couple of days...

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Saren is Bad said:

You don't need the Wutang patch just yet as no programs use it.

For hombrew;

Official FW -> 3.55 Geohot

If you want to use backup managers, then you must risk a CFW patch that has bricked PS3's (all Phats) or use a dongle and older firmware. Backup managers and other programs may be ported to use the Wutang patch in combination with Geohot 3.55 but now it's best to wait, although this combination is reportedly safe to use at the moment with existing homebrew.

Dani said:
You don't need the Wutang patch just yet as no programs use it.

For hombrew;

Official FW -> 3.55 Geohot

If you want to use backup managers, then you must risk a CFW patch that has bricked PS3's (all Phats) or use a dongle and older firmware. Backup managers and other programs may be ported to use the Wutang patch in combination with Geohot 3.55 but now it's best to wait, although this combination is reportedly safe to use at the moment with existing homebrew.

Yeah, I'm on 3.55 Geohot so I'll just stick around on it for the time being. I have a 60gig launch, no less.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, bricks this fast?

Guess I'll wait until Sony updates the firmware or starts PSN banning people before I choose to do CFW or PSN access then.

jamaniek

Durante said:
Well well...
This one actually works perfectly with every game I've tried so far. Now I can enjoy a Valkyria Chronicles skirmish any time without getting the BD :D
Same here. F1 2010 and GT5 work flawlessly :)

jamaniek

I've got a fat PS3 CECHH-04.

1. Install Waninkoko's CFW.
2. Install and run Rogero Manager.
3. Make a copy of whatever the game you want (It looks like every title is working so far)
4. Run the game through the RM (you'll be returned to the XMB).
5. Run "/app_home/PS3_GAME/"
6. Have fun :)

Top Bottom