• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Despera said:
@Mathieulh I'm not saying that my tools are better or the risks using my tools are lower... I already know I made a huge mistake.

cryinggob.JPG

thuway

besiktas1 said:
I've got nothing better to do, shall I take the plunge or wait? I have a 250gb Slim EU
Atleast wait for a time for a proper unbricking method. Someone GAF was shot with the virus, do you really want to take the risk?

angelfly

Wow I go to sleep and wake and so much has happened. From what I can tell it seems like Waninkoko released his firmware but it's bricking consoles? Meh I still don't plan on switching from the geohot jailbreak until theres an actual CFW at the level of PSP CFW.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unfortunate how we seemed to be on the cusp of having backup managers function correctly and now we're back to square one.

Boo-urns.

Dambrosi

Banned
JaseC said:
Unfortunate how we seemed to be on the cusp of having backup managers function correctly and now we're back to square one.

Boo-urns.
Apparently Wutangrza's CFW is safe, if you want to try that. Not sure about features or compatibility, though.

So many custom firmwares are bad for the scene (we now have what, 4 or 5?), things that work on one might not end up working on another. I suggest to those sitting on the fence to wait it out until there is a definitive CFW that the majority of homebrew works on and is written for before taking the plunge into these waters, it's just too much risk for too little gain at the moment.

N.A

Banned
Dambrosi said:
Apparently Wutangrza's CFW is safe, if you want to try that. Not sure about features or compatibility, though.

Yes it is, no reported bricks so far. It only implements peek/poke though, not the syscalls. However with peek/poke backup manager devs can implement the syscalls straight into their managers.

It's just a waiting game now. (Glad I'm still on 3.41)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dambrosi said:

Fairly certain Seems it's essentially gh's CFW 3.55 with peak/poke. If it is indeed safe, then it shouldn't take long for working backup managers to surface.

I'll wait for dean to release the next version of MultiMAN and update to W's CFW 3.55 if necessary.

RJT

Dambrosi said:
Yeah, I don't understand why people aren't talking about that. Well, I do, he isn't a celebrity and doesn't have a twitter account..

It's Wu Tang though. Nothing to fuck with...

meh.ro2978.gif

kitch9

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Can anyone summarize what's happening with the CFW side of the world?

People are rushing stuff in order to be the first and finding out that Sony may have been smarter than they first thought.

Some people who ironically thought they were gonna get free stuff are now having to pay out to buy new hardware it appears.....

Dambrosi

Banned
JaseC said:
Fairly certain Seems it's essentially gh's CFW 3.55 with peak/poke. If it is indeed safe, then it shouldn't take long for working backup managers to surface.

I'll wait for dean to release the next version of MultiMAN and update to W's CFW 3.55 if necessary.
*Oh, I thought you meant Waninkoko's. Never mind.

3rdman

RJT said:
Yeah, I don't understand why people aren't talking about that. Well, I do, he isn't a celebrity and doesn't have a twitter account..

It's Wu Tang though. Nothing to fuck with...

meh.ro2978.gif
Can you point me in his direction? I've seen his name pop up but I don't see any discussion about his CFW...

Durante

Apparently the current speculation is that it bricks consoles with 256 MB NAND. I've got a CECHH model that should work if this is the case, but I'm certainly not going to be the first to try.

bd1m.png

besiktas1

From what I understand, Waninkoko is really a Sony Ninja, first allowing backup manager to fuck with nintendo, then bricking those who try with Sony. I wish there was some truth in it, it'd be awesome. Some cross company beef, then Miyamoto responds by releasing his own Custo-Miyomoto-m Firmware that finally allows me to back up my games.

Anyway you guys have talked some sense into me, I'll wait for Miyamoto's FW :)

3rdman

Dambrosi said:
Don't worry about the extension, WinRAR should be able to uncompress it.
Thanks to you and Second...I'll probably be doing this sometime in the afternoon today. By the way, what is the difference between this CFW and Waninkoko's (aside from the whole Lv2 disaster)?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
3rdman said:
Thanks to you and Second...I'll probably be doing this sometime in the afternoon today. By the way, what is the difference between this CFW and Waninkoko's (aside from the whole Lv2 disaster)?

wutanwhatever didn't mess with lv2 like Waninkoko did. It's just peek & poke.

Dambrosi

Banned
3rdman said:
Apparently, all the homebrew currently signed to geohot's 3.55 will actually work with WuTang's CFW, unlike Wankeroko's.

Oh, and edit your post, man...without the full instructions and the links to the other files involved, it's kinda dangerous, ya?

N.A

Banned
3rdman said:

It uses flukes1 safe method of patching and doesn't add in the syscalls (not needed as backup managers can add themselves using peek/poke)

Marrshu said:
Would Wutangrza's CFW allow the ToGF demo to run?
I would like to know this, too. Since my Wii is my main homebrew/emulator machine, while I do look forward to various media players and Linux on the PS3, my main desire is the Tales of Graces F demo.

N.A

Banned
Dambrosi said:
Apparently, all the homebrew currently signed to geohot's 3.55 will actually work with WuTang's CFW, unlike Wankeroko's.

Geohot's firmware removes the signature check on pkg's. Only debug pkg's will install on non-geohot firmware (essentially everything already available for 3.41 will install).

So where's a good place to start with some PS3 home brew? Been thinking of grabbing a system for a while and now if I can use it as a media hub and the like I definitely need to make the plunge.

Any particular system best suited for jailbreaking?

Dambrosi

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
I would like to know this, too. Since my Wii is my main homebrew/emulator machine, while I do look forward to various media players and Linux on the PS3, my main desire is the Tales of Graces F demo.
Have the guys behind that said anything about translating Tales Of Graces for Wii (presumably Fatal Frame 4 style) yet?

N.A said:
Geohot's firmware removes the signature check on pkg's. Only debug pkg's will install on non-geohot firmware (essentially everything already available for 3.41 will install).
Ah, I thought it was just geohot's firmware patched with peek/poke. My bad.

Sophia

Dambrosi said:
Have the guys behind that said anything about translating Tales Of Graces for Wii (presumably Fatal Frame 4 style) yet?

They're doing both. I'm more interested in the one that's set up next to my computer, and not on the other side of the room. :p

rocK`

Banned
Dambrosi said:

Oh, and edit your post, man...without the full instructions and the links to the other files involved, it's kinda dangerous, ya?

oh, we don't like wanikoko now?

N.A

Banned
Dambrosi said:

Ah, I thought it was just geohot's firmware patched with peek/poke. My bad.

You can apply Geohot's patch on top of it.

Essentially, OFW 3.55 -> Wutangrza's CFW -> Geohot's CFW.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I don't think debug pkg support was added to Wutangrza's CFW, only Waninkoko's. So the only way to install pkg's on Wutangrza's is by installing the Geohot patch.

Despera said:
If you still have some popcorn left, here's what went down between Mathieulh and Waninkoko (hackinblack) on Twitter:-

Good times.

That twitter conversation between them is with a fake waninkoko, his twitter is hackinblack, the one mathieulh is talking to is hackingblack

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I wouldn't install Wutangrza's CFW patch right now. There's no newly updated programs or new ones that take advantage of it so there's no real way of testing it.

dak1dsk1

Banned
That's a funny coincidence. I used to live in Wanikoko, just 3 miles west of Wutangrza... - Hello? Why would you install something that sounds like a Nigerian village?

Given that it's early days for these emulators, any interest in a set of eboot icons and backdrops?

I wouldn't repack the actual eboots, though, as I want nothing to do with this hacker witch-hunt that's going on.

angelfly

TheOctagon said:
Given that it's early days for these emulators, any interest in a set of eboot icons and backdrops?

I wouldn't repack the actual eboots, though, as I want nothing to do with this hacker witch-hunt that's going on.
Early days? They've been out for months.

linkboy

TheOctagon said:

Something like PSPBrew but for the PS3 would be nice (PSPBrew lets you edit PSP eboot files, replacing your own images).

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Do any apps work with Waninkoko's CFW? I have an expendable PS3 I can try it on, if there is something to actually do with it.

Top Bottom