• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
miladesn said:
check the hashes before updating:
PUP MD5: 6eab7f1deea1ed46a1dc9924fd7080b3
PUP SHA1: 771e0f2431f15c7edd323899fbab810f32e35aba

Mine match, but it's getting late here so I think I'll definitely wait until the morning.

iNvid02

itxaka said:
I think so. Oh well, sometimes someone has to be the guinea pig for this things, and i knew the risks involved :D

It turns on, yellow light then intermittent red light. No video or anything. Ill Try the service jig method tonight!

you did update from official 3.55 right? not geohots or anything

jamaniek

itxaka said:
I think so. Oh well, sometimes someone has to be the guinea pig for this things, and i knew the risks involved :D

It turns on, yellow light then intermittent red light. No video or anything. Ill Try the service jig method tonight!
DoctorWho said:
You can "brick" both a PSP and an iPhone, yet there are ways to restore them if you know what you're doing. If it gives YLOD, I'm not sure what can be done though.
So maybe there's still some hope. I'm keeping the fingers crossed for you man.

Jinko

itxaka said:

Did you patch on top of Geohots jb or fresh 3.55 OFW ?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
sw1tch said:
What the point to install this new firmware I though you guys just wanted to use homebrew
right? :) or maybe...

And backupmanagers which are homebrew. And backups of our legal backed up games. Your point?

CaLe

sw1tch said:
What the point to install this new firmware I though you guys just wanted to use homebrew

Implying piracy is a bannable offense.

And yes, we want homebrew and being able to play OUR games off our HD.

itxaka

Defeatist
Jinko said:
Did you patch on top of Geohots jb or fresh 3.55 OFW ?
Fresh 3.55OFW, md5 confirms its the good one.
CFW generated also checks the md5 correctly.

That is why i said dont update. Seems to be random bricks. CFW russian roulette :D

BAW

Banned
itxaka said:

That is why i said dont update. Seems to be random bricks. CFW russian roulette :D

My good man itxaka, I really do admire your high spirits despite your very recent brick. Your community salutes you. Do you know what we need? More brave soldiers like you, that's what we need.

still not updating mine

3rdman

itxaka said:

Which firmware version did you upgrade from?

3rdman

JaseC said:
I took that to mean that he had patched a confirmed 3.55 PUP and is verifying that it's got the right MD5 but I don't think he specified whether he upgraded from 3.41 or 3.55jb or whatever...

iNvid02

apparently the guy who made this messed with lvl2 to make it accept a bigger payload, this is why random consoles are killing themselves. lesson = let the guinea pigs go first

EDIT: dont even bother with this update, ever. wait for something else as this is fucked

itxaka

Defeatist
3rdman said:
I took that to mean that he had patched a confirmed 3.55 PUP and is verifying that it's got the right MD5 but I don't think he specified whether he upgraded from 3.41 or 3.55jb or whatever...
Installed a OFW 3.55 first.

Dambrosi

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
apparently the guy who made this messed with lvl2 to make it accept a bigger payload, this is why random consoles are killing themselves. lesson = let the guinea pigs go first

EDIT: dont even bother with this update, ever. wait for something else as this is fucked
What? That's idiotic, you shouldn't mess with shit like that.

xtop

why do we even need waninkoko's firmware anyways? i thought with the tools that flukes was releasing, that dev's could get their backup managers to work with geohot's firmware? or am i completely off base here

Jinko

Dambrosi said:
What? That's idiotic, you shouldn't mess with shit like that.

Yup qouting from 7 pages back..

Im not a fan of the way Flukes has put this stuff out there, there are going to be a lot of Pups floating around with the potential to brick systems.

I would suggest everyone to be careful which CFW's they use. (in the next few days)

xtop said:
why do we even need waninkoko's firmware anyways? i thought with the tools that flukes was releasing, that dev's could get their backup managers to work with geohot's firmware? or am i completely off base here

flukes is dragging his feat in releasing stuff, and seeing as people can get annoyed when stuff get releases a few minutes late, they were bound to look somewhere else after days past

insin said:
Waninkoko strikes again - when will people learn? o_O

It seems to have affected only a few. I guess it is significant due to the amount of people talking, but I think it succeed on much more consoles than those that had problems.

test_account

XP-39C²
The console gets bricked, is it just to hold down the power button on the PS3 to get into recovery mode to fix it, or is it bricked "forever"?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
test_account said:
The console gets bricked, is it just to hold down the power button on the PS3 to get into recovery mode to fix it, or is it bricked "forever"?

Apparently it's bricked forever. At least that's what I'm reading.

itxaka

Defeatist
test_account said:

forever alone bricked

Anyone knows where are the diagrams to do a nor flasher for the ps3? I guess that I'll try that as I won't buy another ps3 for a long time xD

test_account

XP-39C²
kamorra said:
Apparently it's bricked forever. At least that's what I'm reading.
itxaka said:
forever alone bricked

Anyone knows where are the diagrams to do a nor flasher for the ps3? I guess that I'll try that as I won't buy another ps3 for a long time xD
Ok, that has to suck :\ Its not possible to even go into factory mode and fix it if you have one of those downgrade dongles? Or perhaps PS3 firmware 3.55 doesnt support firmware downgrades?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
sw1tch said:

Just fuck off. I'm getting sick of the backhanded piracy insinuations in this thread.

Getting back to the new CFW. I think I'll wait a while till someone figures outvwhy it's bricking consoles.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sw1tch said:

Please don't be a shithead. If there is a specific person on GAF who is being a braggart pirate, call them out and we'll ban them. If you're just saying that anyone who wants hard drive installs is a pirate, don't post again.

sw1tch said:

I fully understand loaders are a big flashing piracy light, but I will be 100% only putting rips of my own games on there to help with me lugging about my PS3... It saves a shit ton of space not having to pack in game too - even if I was to use a wallet to put just the disc in, I am still using space, and I hate having discs out of the case anyway.

Also, I am lazy, I don't like to stand up, but that is secondary.

Sophia

Keyser Soze said:
Also, I am lazy, I don't like to stand up, but that is secondary.

I'd like to use it for some of the games I own, such as Blazblue, that have special packaging. I'm not willing to ditch the box, but I don't want to have to get up every time and deal with getting it out or risk ripping the box.

Backup loaders are an awesome solution to this problem.

itxaka

Defeatist
test_account said:
Ok, that has to suck :\ Its not possible to even go into factory mode and fix it if you have one of those downgrade dongles? Or perhaps PS3 firmware 3.55 doesnt support firmware downgrades?

There is some files out there to downgrade 3.55 but I haven't tried them. I'm still looking and how to made a downgrader usb jig xD

But I don't think it will work, as the console breaks in half a second so it doesn't load shit. Worst part? My Top Spin 3 disc is in the BD unit! Fuuuuuuu

I guess that I'll check if I still got guarantee and sent it to sony to see what they say. If they repair it for 150€ I guess I'll bite.

Consoles that seem to brick are the CHECH04 models like mine. WTF, from all the models out there xD

http://psx-scene.com/forums/687620-post564.html

Possible unbrick for you? Have a dongle?

Yeah, read about that, i'll try it at night as I said, I have 0 idea of making a downgrader usb jig as I didn't need to do one yet. If it works I will fap myself over the ps3!

It seems like geohot is being sued for nothing because assuming in a months or even a weeks time they get a reliable CFW with backup manager support no one will even be using geohot CFW anymore, and his never actually allowed backups to begin with

Zoe

SuicideUZI said:
It seems like geohot is being sued for nothing because assuming in a months or even a weeks time they get a reliable CFW with backup manager support no one will even be using geohot CFW anymore, and his never actually allowed backups to begin with

If Sony is successful, they'll be able to go after any hacker they want as long as they can prove jurisdiction.

test_account

XP-39C²
itxaka said:
There is some files out there to downgrade 3.55 but I haven't tried them. I'm still looking and how to made a downgrader usb jig xD

But I don't think it will work, as the console breaks in half a second so it doesn't load shit. Worst part? My Top Spin 3 disc is in the BD unit! Fuuuuuuu

I guess that I'll check if I still got guarantee and sent it to sony to see what they say. If they repair it for 150€ I guess I'll bite.
Ah ok, hopefully there is a way to restore the PS3 firmware without having to buy a new one or get it repaired (if it cost money).

Pity about the Top Spin 3 disc :( I guess that u have tried this, but doesnt it work to hit the eject button a lot of time when turning on the PS3? Or wont it eject the disc anyway?

SuicideUZI said:
Didnt Geohot mainly got sued for leaking the PS3 decryption keys, and not mainly because of his custom firmware? I havnt really checked too much into for what reasons he got sued for, so i am just wondering =)

Majmun

3rdman said:
People are checking in and from this thread it seems that the problem lies with the older FAT consoles...
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f118/flashed-waninkokos-cfw-report-76357/
I've got a 60 so there is NO chance that I'll be upgrading until this get worked out but has anyone here managed to upgrade their BC capable ps3s?

I also have a 60GB Ps3 with BC. And I just went back to official 3.55 fw. Definitely not updating to wanikoko's cfw now, seeing that the majority of bricked Ps3's are the fat ones.

I'm waiting for a more reliable code.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
If you have the following PS3 units, do not upgrade (check serials):

Phat CECHG04 40GB
Phat CECHG03 40GB
Phat CECHC03 60GB
Phat CHECH04 60GB

This seems to be an issue with PAL 40/60GB fattie units. So if you have a fattie 40/60GB do not use the new CFW 3.55!

Despera

Banned
Dani said:

Phat CECHG04 40GB
Phat CECHG03 40GB
Phat CECHC03 60GB
Phat CHECH04 60GB

This seems to be an issue with PAL 40/60 fattie units.
Yep, mine is one of those.

And that's why I always let the guinea pigs do the dirty work. Good job, guinea pigs.

Dambrosi

Banned
Dani said:

Phat CECHG04 40GB
Phat CECHG03 40GB
Phat CECHC03 60GB
Phat CHECH04 60GB

This seems to be an issue with PAL 40/60GB fattie units. So if you have a fattie 40/60GB do not use the new CFW 3.55!
Mine's a JP NTSC 60GB. I'm still holding off until the reasons for the bricks emerge, though.

I'm not doing anything to my PS3 until there is some killer homebrew app like XBMC available, but this whole thing is very exciting to popcorn at. My hats off to you brave guinea...pioneers, without you, a safe and stable mod wouldn't be possible.

Despera

Banned
ScrabbleBanshee said:
I'm not doing anything to my PS3 until there is some killer homebrew app like XBMC available, but this whole thing is very exciting to popcorn at. My hats off to you brave guinea...pioneers, without you, a safe and stable mod wouldn't be possible.
If you still have some popcorn left, here's what went down between Mathieulh and Waninkoko (hackinblack) on Twitter:-

@hackinblack maybe there was a reason flukes1 didn't release a PUP. Maybe there was a reason none of us messed with the coreos...

@hackinblack Now let's see how many noobs will brick their ps3s updating to "your" firmware....

@Mathieulh Of course I'm not using flukes1 tools.

@hackinblack I somewhat have a hard time believing that, besides even if you were not, patching lv2 for backups is STUPID and DANGEROUS.

@hackinblack There is a reason everyone says not to do it and no one (but you) is doing it. And trust me, it has nothing to do with skills..

@Mathieulh Then it's time for me to push MY tools to github.

@hackinblack So maybe you are using your tool but that doesn't change neither the risks, not the pointlessness.

@Mathieulh I'm not saying that my tools are better or the risks using my tools are lower... I already know I made a huge mistake.

@hackinblack I am glad you admit that xD

Good times.

Top Bottom