• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

kitch9 said:
I the hackers cannot de-crypt the new hardwares firmware they will not know how to format the white-list.

Games have to run on OLD PS3 hardware or Sony has to leave the Playstation business in shame.

For OLD hardware to whitelist games, a new firmware has to be installed.

To install this firmware, it has to be signed with the OLD hardware keys.

This means that hackers can decrypt this new firmware and tweak the whitelist or do anything else they want to do with it, including learning any new keys that Sony wants to try to use.

Game OVER.

Anything that Sony tries to do with a new hardware has to work on old hardware or they go out of game console business, any any path to try to tweak the way old hardware works can be rewritten. The system is wide open. There's nothing bulletproof that Sony can deploy to at least keep all current PS3s from being totally exploitable.

Dambrosi

Banned
Hanmik said:
Sorry haven´t been following the CFW situation 100%, so I do not know if this has been posted yet.. and I do not even know if it is real (although it sounds kind of real)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA8RPzDCpfU

it´s a guy phoning Sony´s hotline because he is afraid that he will be banned by updating to FW 3.60.
Oh don't do that guy, I nearly had a funny turn ;p

Waaaaiiiiiiit..."Thanks for the call"? No outro speech, no "This call may be monitored", no legal stuff? I've worked in a call centre, and there's always a script full of legal stuff that you have to follow with the customer first before you take their complaint. Furthermore, the "Sony" dude didn't ask for confirmation of the caller's name, address, DOB or even just his PSN username, as I'm sure he's supposed to. And "I'll let this go because you were a good boy and told Daddy Sony the truth"?! Um, no, corporations don't work like that, especially if they don't have your username to not-ban in the first place.

I dunno about you guys, but this sounds slightly fake.

kitch9

Banned
Beer Monkey said:
Games have to run on OLD PS3 hardware or Sony has to leave the Playstation business in shame.

For OLD hardware to whitelist games, a new firmware has to be installed.

To install this firmware, it has to be signed with the OLD hardware keys.

This means that hackers can decrypt this new firmware and tweak the whitelist or do anything else they want to do with it, including learning any new keys that Sony wants to try to use.

Game OVER.

Anything that Sony tries to do with a new hardware has to work on old hardware or they go out of game console business, any any path to try to tweak the way old hardware works can be rewritten. The system is wide open. There's nothing bulletproof that Sony can deploy to at least keep all current PS3s from being totally exploitable.

As I'm saying old hardware is lost to CFW forever it appears, new hardware with a new master key built in would be in theory be re-secured. Sony will have to deploy a different firmware for the new hardware encrypted with the new key and only this firmware would have the whitelist. As long as the hackers don't break the new encryption the whitelist will be secure. Firmware for the old machines would not have the whitelist obviously as the hackers would be able to find it and manipulate it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new hardware is already in production as they must have seen this coming months ago.

DonMigs85

kitch9 said:
As I'm saying old hardware is lost to CFW forever it appears, new hardware with a new master key built in would be in theory be re-secured. Sony will have to deploy a different firmware for the new hardware encrypted with the new key and only this firmware would have the whitelist. As long as the hackers don't break the new encryption the whitelist will be secure. Firmware for the old machines would not have the whitelist obviously as the hackers would be able to find it and manipulate it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new hardware is already in production as they must have seen this coming months ago.
And I bet if your console breaks and you send it in for repairs, they can either flash a new secure firmware to it or give you back one of the newer hardware revisions if they do exist.

kitch9

Banned
I am interested in what Sony could do with the apparently unbroken LVL0 security on the Cell itself.

That is IBMs own encryption and I don't think that will be broken any time soon, so I'm wondering if that can be leveraged in anyway on old hardware to re-secure the system, but it appears nobody has a definitive answer for that...

You'd think that as long as there is a security layer still secure that maybe something could be done, but looking at how Sony have managed to cock things up so badly its probable nothing can be done.

StuBurns

Banned
Dambrosi said:
Oh don't do that guy, I nearly had a funny turn ;p

Waaaaiiiiiiit..."Thanks for the call"? No outro speech, no "This call may be monitored", no legal stuff? I've worked in a call centre, and there's always a script full of legal stuff that you have to follow with the customer first before you take their complaint. Furthermore, the "Sony" dude didn't ask for confirmation of the caller's name, address, DOB or even just his PSN username, as I'm sure he's supposed to. And "I'll let this go because you were a good boy and told Daddy Sony the truth"?! Um, no, corporations don't work like that, especially if they don't have your username to not-ban in the first place.

I dunno about you guys, but this sounds slightly fake.
When I've spoken to Sony support, there is a person who takes all your details, then transfers you to someone else based on the nature of the call, and it starts with him implying he'd already been speaking to the guy because he said a name that was wrong and the operator corrected him.

However, I'd be stunned if someone was that open using official channels. Also, I don't think his advice makes much sense. Go back to legitimate 3.55 and you won't be banned, update to 3.60 when it comes and you will. That doesn't seem believable. I imagine people will be able to update without any punishment, even if they have pirated games.

eso76

Withnail said:
Yep, I'm predicting PS3 Slim Slim at this E3. :)

Ps3 Anorexic will be all the rage this summer !

on a side note, we should probably buy spare current ps3 models while they're available, for when our ps3 breaks

N.A

Banned
A successful test of another CFW has just happened on IRC. lv1 dumped.

They're trying to release before waninkoko releases his.

Diablohead said:
Guys isn't midnight counted as 12:00AM? or is this dude Australian?

afaik they stated 12.00 pm in Spain, and right now is 12.05 pm here in Spain.

just wait for it, they said it would be availble around 12.00 pm, not at that exact time

MMaRsu

Banned
N.A said:
A successful test of another CFW has just happened on IRC. lv1 dumped.

They're trying to release before waninkoko releases his.

Ehm okay.. waninkoko is releasing his within an hour or something right? So that's not gonna work :p

N.A

Banned
StuBurns said:
What can we expect from an initial CFW? Any UI customization?

The only thing people are focused on at the moment is getting peek/poke and syscalls working so that backup managers will work.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Withnail said:
Yep, I'm predicting PS3 Slim Slim at this E3. :)

I miss proper slim consoles. The PStwo was absolutely perfect. Fuck these over-complicated, overheating pieces of shit.

Shaneus

N.A said:
The only thing people are focused on at the moment is getting peek/poke and syscalls working so that backup managers will work.
As much as I can appreciate what these syscalls signify in terms of development opportunities, does anyone else really care that much about running backups? I'm pretty happy with the way my j-tagged 360 and original Xbox does them, but for some reason I'm far more interested in the open-source and media prospects with the PS3 than backups.

MMaRsu

Banned
Shaneus said:
As much as I can appreciate what these syscalls signify in terms of development opportunities, does anyone else really care that much about running backups? I'm pretty happy with the way my j-tagged 360 and original Xbox does them, but for some reason I'm far more interested in the open-source and media prospects with the PS3 than backups.

Me too really. I'm interested in 360 controller support, and to use it as a complete mediacenter :D.

Sew

Same. I'll back up my discs if I can, but I don't care about it. Looking further ahead to the really cool stuff!

itxaka

Defeatist
DoctorWho said:
Release notes?

+---------------------------+
| PS3 Custom Firmware v3.55 |
| developed by Waninkoko |
| www.teknoconsolas.es |

>> DESCRIPTION:

This Custom Firmware for the PS3 increases the system features of your console to
allow the installation and execution of homebrew applications.
This Custom Firmware could allow too the loading of legal copies (backups) using
these new included features.

We don't support and condone the usage of illegal copies.
We are not responsible for any damage for the usage of this Custom Firmware.

>> INSTALLATION:

1. Download PS3 Firmware 3.55 (PS3UPDAT.PUP file).
2. Patch PS3UPDAT.PUP file with the patch included in this package using the "bsdiff" tool (http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff).
3. Install the patched PUP file like a normal firmware update.
(in case you're already in 3.55 you need to install it in recovery mode).

>> KUDOS:

- Team fail0verflow
- KaKaRoTo
- flukes1
- Hermes
- jgade

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, think I might wait until tomorrow morning to see how the early adopters go with this. Plus, by then, hopefully someone will have built a working backup manager (get on it, dean :p)

Second said:
How do I install in recovery mode? I'm already using 3.55jb

1. Turn off Playstation3.
2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

thuway

If I update my PS3 will it delete all the backups I currently have on my HD? It would suck to have to reburn Uncharted 2, Motorstorm, and Super Street Fighter :-/.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Interesting and exciting. I guess I'll check back in this thread later in the day to see how everything is going before I jump in!

luffeN

N.A said:
I'm updating the wiki (http://www.pshomebrew.net). If you are unsure of how to install this or whether you need it at all you can wait for me to update.

Edit: Don't update yet, reports of bricking on IRC.

for the next page!

Keyser Soze about Recovery Mode said:
1. Turn off Playstation3.
2. Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
and this should go in the op!

Top Bottom