• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
xtop said:
looks like he's releasing it at 12pm tomorrow. very cool
Yup.

I wonder if it will be compatible with the homebrew released for Geohot's 3.55? It would be annoying (in the short term) to have to get all the existing HB resigned.

H_Prestige said:
With these backup managers, will we still need a disc inside the drive?

No

test_account said:
If such a method is possible, then that would be better than to remove the possibility to install PS3 firmware using a USB stick indeed :)

It also wouldn't affect the games so that's a plus too. The games and psn stuff would get to keep their format. Only the firmware update file format would have to change.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dambrosi said:
And if there's a fatal bug in the on-disc update that semi-bricks certain PS3s, and Sony only finds out when people start complaining on the Internet - what then? Do they do what Nintendo did, and repair them all for no charge, all because there's no way to update them with a fixed firmware through the network (since their PS3's not online) or through their secondary option, the USB Installation function, which was taken away in a previous security update? "Not likely", you say? It happened to Nintendo just last year, why don't you go ask them?

USB Installs are there just as much for Sony mechanics' benefit as the user's. It's unlikely at this point that that capability will be removed.
Doesnt the PS3 firmware gets copied over to the PS3 HDD first though? I have never tried to install a PS3 firmware from a disc myself, so i cant say for sure, but i would be surprised if it updates the firmware directly from the disc. When we update the PS3 directly throught the PS3/internet, it first downloads the firmware and then installs it, which i assume is because just in case the internet connection gets cut off etc. I would assume that there is such a protection when updating the firmware through a disc as well, but again, i havnt tried it myself so i cant say for sure :)

EDIT: Did Nintendo remove the possibility to update the Wii firmware using a USB stick by the way, or how do you mean?

mugurumakensei said:
It also wouldn't affect the games so that's a plus too. The games and psn stuff would get to keep their format. Only the firmware update file format would have to change.
Ok, i see, cool :) Hopefully Sony will choose such a solution instead of removing all PS3 firmware update to be installed from a USB stick.

TimeKillr

alr1ghtstart said:
Completely different audiences. The 18-24 market is a hell of a lot more likely to pirate than Nintendo's. The potential ease of use of this is bad news for Sony + devs. Granted, so long into PS3's life, it won't be devastating, but had this occurred 3 years ago, they would be completely fucked.

You have no idea how many parents I know who pirate Wiis because their kids want countless games, thus making the Wii + paying someone to mod pay off in the end.

You'd be REALLY surprised. The 18-24 market pirates a ton, but a LOT of the more casual crowd pirates also, it's just that you don't know any of them.

CaLe

I'm a developer myself, and I fear for the sales of the games our studio develops. We'll see how big of an impact what happened today will have.

Hopefully gamers will understand that sales are what keep developers afloat and will continue to support them.

wwm0nkey

CaLe said:
I'm a developer myself, and I fear for the sales of the games our studio develops. We'll see how big of an impact what happened today will have.

Hopefully gamers will understand that sales are what keep developers afloat and will continue to support them.
Yeah the people who pirate games....I refuse to call them gamers.

KAL2006

Banned
I would advise folks to wait and see if this is legit, most likely legit though. So this firmware supports peek and poke/multiman and NTFS hardrives. So basically this is the ultimate firmware.

Downloading now. if this is confirmed legit then I'm finally cracking open my slim tonight.

Do I have to install geohot's 3.55 first though, before this one?

CaLe

What exactly is multiman.. ? All I know about it is that it's some sort of game library viewer...

Should it be downloaded along with this new firmware... ?

eso76

StuBurns said:
I don't know about the iPhone, the fact it's beautifully design, incredibly simple to use and is an iPod is probably what sold it for the masses.

when items become so popular it's actually the masses that sell it for the masses.
it's like with psone. Everyone bought one because...everyone had one.
Like there's a point beyond which sales start growing exponentially; the more an item sells...the higher sales are going to grow.
Oh, but that's beyond the point and not to say the iphone isn't a pretty, nifty device.

As for the PS3/4, I think you're right, but ultimately people won't have a choice. The people who pirate games are gamers, they're going to be compelled to play more games. When MW4 is only on the next-gen systems, and the next GTA is coming, and GT6 etc. At the very most, this 'unlocking' can only fuck Sony over till the day people stop supporting the PS3.

of course, i don't mean this will change sony's plans for ps4, or next gen am doomed or anything like that. I just think this will slow down ps4 sales initially if nothing changes.
Not a huge problem.
But i still think next gen systems should be more open, like today's mobiles and their app stores.

You can rent games for dirt cheap, cheaper than limitless bandwidth in a lot of places I imagine, and more importantly, it's perfectly legal.

Errr..and rip them to your hdd before returning them ? :)

The only thing I'd be really concerned about is PS3 platform support dropping out,

i could see that happening if devs see a drop in sales, it would force people to move to a more 'secure' system faster.

LovingSteam said:
I'd advise folks to download it but don't install it yet. The 3.55 pup works but supposedly multiman isn't loading. So again, DON'T INSTALL YET.

Seems a bit dodgy, how do they know it works with Multiman if multiman isn't working, also why is it such a large file?

Conflict NZ said:
Seems a bit dodgy, how do they know it works with Multiman if multiman isn't working, also why is it such a large file?

I am just reporting what others are saying. Supposedly it includes the update for both 3.41 and 3.55. I apologize if I got a tad excited. Just anxious like others.

LovingSteam said:
I am just reporting what others are saying. Supposedly it includes the update for both 3.41 and 3.55. I apologize if I got a tad excited. Just anxious like others.

Those firmware updates are usually only ~50mb aren't they?

McLovin

N.A said:
N.A said:
From IRC:
What is the story with your avatar?
24ou6w6.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLJJRIWCLU
Ahh... its a mic! Cool video :)

KAL2006 said:
I would advise folks to wait and see if this is legit, most likely legit though. So this firmware supports peek and poke/multiman and NTFS hardrives. So basically this is the ultimate firmware.

Do me a favor and edit out the link.

jamaniek said:
YES! Downloading now :)

EDIT: 40kb/s...LOL

Supposedly some are reporting the link as malware. Don't download. I'll keep you all up to date.

AGAIN, DO. NOT. DOWNLOAD. and please remove link.

jamaniek

LovingSteam said:

Supposedly some are reporting the link as malware. Don't download. I'll keep you all up to date.

AGAIN, DO. NOT. DOWNLOAD. and please remove link.
Done. Damn...too bad.

StuBurns

Banned
eso76 said:
Errr..and rip them to your hdd before returning them ? :)
I know we're not meant to discuss it, but I don't see any major moral leap between renting and piracy. The difference is purely the volume of people who can play a game based on a single disc as far as I can see.

Although, are games actually going to be playable off an external harddrive? Is USB2 good enough? To be honest, I don't really understand how any of this is going to work, FAT32 has a size limit that is way too small for PS3 retail games. Internal storage on PS3 is pretty small, even a 500GB one isn't going to store all that many titles.
eso76 said:
i could see that happening if devs see a drop in sales, it would force people to move to a more 'secure' system faster.
It'll be interesting to see, I have no idea what kind of cross-pollination there is between PS3 and 360 owners, I imagine it's fairly large, so it's a complicated issue no doubt. Take something like Mass Effect 3, EA are probably expecting a couple of million sales on 360, maybe a million on PS3, but if most of their audience on 360 also own PS3s, and can now get it for free, this could theoretically hurt their 360 sales as well as PS3 sales. That being the case at a certain sales loss point, it is detrimental to ship a PS3 SKU. But then there is also the question of IP building. Maybe it's still worth it in the light of introducing more PS3 users to a franchise that will extend beyond this generation.

I know I certainly wouldn't like to be making that decision at all, must be incredibly complicated and difficult, and probably with no really correct answer.

Another thing that's on my mind is how this might affect the PSP2. The PSP's underwhelming software sales have often been blamed on piracy (which I personally don't agree with), with this happening seemingly within weeks of the PSP2 being announced, is it going to give publishers additional cause for piracy concern with the PSP2?

Although I don't think it'll be a big deal in terms of loss of sales, it could do more harm just in terms of publishers and the public's perception of Sony and the PS3.

androvsky

NTFS support on the PS3 in any form is a ways off. Implementing any filesystem requires low-level OS calls for raw disk reads and writes that I'm not sure have been found yet. Once that happens, NTFS is one of the more complex filesystems around; stable write support on something like the PS3 would probably never happen, and read support would be iffy at best.

For example, NTFS support was a hot-button issue on normal linux for nearly a decade, and we never got proper write support until someone implemented a user-space filesystem using FUSE (a special filesystem support infrastructure in the kernel, something I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for on the PS3).

In short, if homebrew devs get to the point where they're adding support for new filesystems, settle for ext3. It does what you want, without the blood sacrifices.

MMaRsu

Banned
androvsky said:
NTFS support on the PS3 in any form is a ways off. Implementing any filesystem requires low-level OS calls for raw disk reads and writes that I'm not sure have been found yet. Once that happens, NTFS is one of the more complex filesystems around; stable write support on something like the PS3 would probably never happen, and read support would be iffy at best.

For example, NTFS support was a hot-button issue on normal linux for nearly a decade, and we never got proper write support until someone implemented a user-space filesystem using FUSE (a special filesystem support infrastructure in the kernel, something I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for on the PS3).

In short, if homebrew devs get to the point where they're adding support for new filesystems, settle for ext3. It does what you want, without the blood sacrifices.

Sorry for my ignorance but if my HDTV can do it why can't my Ps3?

androvsky said:

Well Waninkoko is very experienced in the homebrew/hacking scene, and the release notes for his custom firmware state that it supports NTFS (but it doesn't mention in to what extent). I don't see any reason not to trust him, given his track record.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
androvsky said:

Wii USB loaders already support NTFS. There's plenty of stable open source libraries around.

atomsk

Party Pooper
would love to have a CFW 3.55 before I buy Yakuza 4/Ar Tonelico 3/Disaster Report 4 (so that I can, you know, play them)

Anth0ny

davonaytor said:
Well Waninkoko is very experienced in the homebrew/hacking scene, and the release notes for his custom firmware state that it supports NTFS (but it doesn't mention in to what extent). I don't see any reason not to trust him, given his track record.

Yeah, Waninkoko has done some pretty awesome stuff for the Wii. If Ps3 is as broken as everyone says, he should have no problem releasing some pretty cool stuff for it =D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
davonaytor said:

Where did you read these release notes?

Top Bottom