• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

KAL2006

Banned
androvsky said:
NTFS support on the PS3 in any form is a ways off. Implementing any filesystem requires low-level OS calls for raw disk reads and writes that I'm not sure have been found yet. Once that happens, NTFS is one of the more complex filesystems around; stable write support on something like the PS3 would probably never happen, and read support would be iffy at best.

For example, NTFS support was a hot-button issue on normal linux for nearly a decade, and we never got proper write support until someone implemented a user-space filesystem using FUSE (a special filesystem support infrastructure in the kernel, something I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for on the PS3).

In short, if homebrew devs get to the point where they're adding support for new filesystems, settle for ext3. It does what you want, without the blood sacrifices.

Can you explain NTFS support for Wii by homebrew coders. Please enlighten me why it is possible on the Wii.

3rdman

I guess I should probably wait until tomorrow as anything would be a guess, but does anyone know what Waninkoko's release will entail? Will it be a standalone CFW or will it be a patch?

I'm presently on 3.41 and I'm curious as to how this upgrade will be done...

cacildo

If sony releases a single update:

"New update! Now you can install your legal games into the HDD! Plus, a REAL rewards program for the people who wont hack their PS3"

THEN i would give up on hacking my PS3
But it has to be a REAL rewards program! Better than that crappy PlaystationPlus.

StuBurns

Banned
Do games actually run better off the harddrive though? The reason MS could allow that is because they didn't allow harddrive optimization very often before hand, and when they rarely did, like with Halo, the experience is hurt by installing.

Sony have allowed HDD access while games run from the start. And how will installs work?

cacildo said:

"New update! Now you can install your legal games into the HDD! Plus, a REAL rewards program for the people who wont hack their PS3"

But it has to be a REAL rewards program! Better than that crappy PlaystationPlus.

Maybe they will sell more ps3 games through psn.

@StuBurns

It's more about not wearing down the BD drive and not having to swap discs than it is about faster loading.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
cacildo said:

Yeah, they're totally going to work on a new rewards program just for you loyal non-hackers.

kinggroin

Banned
StuBurns said:
Do games actually run better off the harddrive though? The reason MS could allow that is because they didn't allow harddrive optimization very often before hand, and when they rarely did, like with Halo, the experience is hurt by installing.

Sony have allowed HDD access while games run from the start. And how will installs work?

Castlevania loaded faster off the hdd. Didn't get to test as much as id have liked since I had to give the game back. Im hoping to get my whole library into an external device so i can store the physical copies in tue garage. Need more room in the media closet for my blurays and dvds.

StuBurns

Banned
H_Prestige said:
It's more about not wearing down the BD drive and not having to swap discs than it is about faster loading.
That makes sense, and to have games on the unit themselves not needing to swap discs would be cool too. I was just wondering if it literally worked. I know the PS3 had been hacked for a while with that dongle thing, but I haven't been following the news at all, I don't know if they work or not.

And if they work off external drives using USB.

I'm fine with discs, I think it's an elegant enough solution. I'm really only in it for the emulators and the ability to change the UI. I like XMB, but I want to remove the TV row and things like PSHome button etc, just messy stuff I don't want to see.

kinggroin said:
Castlevania loaded faster off the hdd. Didn't get to test as much as id have liked since I had to give the game back. Im hoping to get my whole library into an external device so i can store the physical copies in tue garage. Need more room in the media closet for my blurays and dvds.
Is that an internal drive or external? Impressive either way.

Clipper

cacildo said:

Since when was PS Plus ever meant to be a rewards program? It's a content service and was always heralded as such.

And they also do have a rewards program in the works. It is currently set to launch in March. I'm in the Beta for it (PS Plus members and GAP members were given invites) and it currently has some teething issues, but we'll see if the kinks get worked out by launch or they delay it or something.

The PS Rewards programs gives you progress from playing new games (new as in the first time that disc has been played in a system) and for buying PSN content and doing various quests (like downloading Pulse). Rewards are limited to exclusive avatars and Home items, so maybe that's not what you are looking for, though.

Edit: The way they are tracking new disc purchases would make me wary about trying any of the copying methods. The only way that it would work is for every disc to have a unique ID, which is read and sent to Sony with time played and so on. Might be an easy way for them to test for piracy.

angelfly

androvsky said:
NTFS support on the PS3 in any form is a ways off. Implementing any filesystem requires low-level OS calls for raw disk reads and writes that I'm not sure have been found yet. Once that happens, NTFS is one of the more complex filesystems around; stable write support on something like the PS3 would probably never happen, and read support would be iffy at best.

For example, NTFS support was a hot-button issue on normal linux for nearly a decade, and we never got proper write support until someone implemented a user-space filesystem using FUSE (a special filesystem support infrastructure in the kernel, something I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for on the PS3).

In short, if homebrew devs get to the point where they're adding support for new filesystems, settle for ext3. It does what you want, without the blood sacrifices.
The 2.4 kernel had write support that for me at least worked great (also never left experimental). They reworked everything in 2.6 which is why standard write support was so limited. As for implementing it, I'm pretty sure psl1ght contains everything needed and if not I'm sure people won't hesitate to grab one of the official SDKs floating around to get it working.

StuBurns

Banned
kinggroin said:
Internal. Probably 3-5 seconds difference on the book loading sections.
I wonder if it could possibly benefit data streaming in games like GTA or RDR.

And presumably, people could remove most of the packaging crap on games and get the files down to more reasonable sizes. Could be very cool.

MMaRsu

Banned
So is there really going to be a new CFW release soon or not? I mean like tomorrow? Or is that just more bogus rumors..

cacildo

Clipper said:
Since when was PS Plus ever meant to be a rewards program? It's a content service and was always heralded as such.

yeah, my mistake.
The way i said it would be a "reward system for you who want to spend 50 bucks" lol! :)

Clipper said:
And they also do have a rewards program in the works. It is currently set to launch in March. I'm in the Beta for it (PS Plus members and GAP members were given invites) and it currently has some teething issues, but we'll see if the kinks get worked out by launch or they delay it or something.

The PS Rewards programs gives you progress from playing new games (new as in the first time that disc has been played in a system) and for buying PSN content and doing various quests (like downloading Pulse). Rewards are limited to exclusive avatars and Home items, so maybe that's not what you are looking for, though.

Yeah, well, avatars and home itens could be level1 rewards for the "Dont hack your PS3" rewards program. Bigger rewards on special dates could help.

But avatars and PSHome itens as rewards for buying new U$60 games and PSN itens? LAME! Too small, too cheap!

ari

Banned
waninkoko is suppose to patch 3.55 cfw or have an entirely new cfw in 6 to 8 hours to allow unsign shit on your psthrees :D

androvsky

KAL2006 said:
Can you explain NTFS support for Wii by homebrew coders. Please enlighten me why it is possible on the Wii.

Well, for one thing, the Wii has a completely different class of operating system, with raw I/O not only possible at an application level, but quite possibly required. From my quick google search, it looks like they ported ntfs-3g, with a homebrew FUSE equivalent.

I'm just saying don't expect the same thing overnight on the PS3, due to it having a proper (and somewhat paranoid) multi-threaded OS.

Hey, maybe it is super easy to implement. But given that so many people have been begging for it, it's been six months since the jailbreak, and I haven't heard of anyone working on it, maybe my guess at why it's difficult might not be too far off.

CaLe said:
I'm a developer myself, and I fear for the sales of the games our studio develops. We'll see how big of an impact what happened today will have.

Hopefully gamers will understand that sales are what keep developers afloat and will continue to support them.

Sorry to hear that but tough luck. Piracy is going to break the PS3 sales in foreign countries.

I honestly think its game over for PS3.

jamaniek

Unregistered007 said:
Sorry to hear that but tough luck. Piracy is going to break the PS3 sales in foreign countries.

I think the current PS3 owners are still going to buy the original titles. If you buy the original games for some period of time, you have to be a massive idiot (or a hypocrite) to suddenly start pirating them.

Unregistered007 said:

Why would it, people have been able to pirate games on 360 and wii for years now and they are both beating PS3 in game sales which until recently hasn't been able to play pirated games. Also piracy existed basically the entire life of PS1 and PS2 yet those consoles basically dominated the market. Its not going to have that big of an impact I dunno why people are acting like this is something new, every disc based console gets hacked at some point in its life. PS3 hardware sales may increase and software will continue the same trend that it has been this entire generation

SuicideUZI said:
Why would it, people have been able to pirate games on 360 and wii for years now and they are both beating PS3 in game sales which until recently hasn't been able to play pirated games. Also piracy existed basically the entire life of PS1 and PS2 yet those consoles basically dominated the market. Its not going to have that big of an impact I dunno why people are acting like this is something new, every disc based console gets hacked at some point in its life. PS3 hardware sales may increase and software will continue the same trend that it has been this entire generation

Too rational for the internet.

jorma

is now taking requests
Unregistered007 said:

You mean "now the game begins for PS3, they can finally compete on even terms". The unhackable PS3 has always been detrimental to Sony in these "foreign countries" imo.

Shaneus

Depending on how Sony tackle the online play scenario, this could actually BOOST sales of consoles and games. But that's a discussion for another thread (that probably already exists).

DonMigs85

I'm pretty sure future production runs will block these exploits at the hardware level. So enjoy your emulators, hacks and marginally faster game loading while you can on your current machines.
I really hope nobody in this thread pirates...

Rich!

DonMigs85 said:
I'm pretty sure future production runs will block these exploits at the hardware level.

Obviously you don't understand the core mechanics of exactly how this hack works.

The private keys are known. This is the key that lets the PS3 knows what is real, and what isn't. These keys are inside every PS3. If Sony changes the private key in a hardware revision, THAT HARDWARE WILL REFUSE TO LOAD *ANY* GAME AVAILABLE IN THE PS3'S LIBRARY. Anyone who buys this new revision will be UNABLE to play 100% of the games currently in the market today. Uncharted 2? Won't work. Black Ops? Won't work. Killzone? Won't work. LBP2? Wont work. Nothing will work. The PSN games wont either.

Sony can not fix this. And please, keep the moral things to the other thread. This thread is for us who enjoy the possibilities homebrew can bring to our hardware.

And bear in mind, because any homebrew app can be signed with the private key, there is no way for the PS3 to differentiate it between a legit and homebrew app. No matter what revisions Sony has made to the hardware, the core operating system of the PS3 will load it, like it's designed to do.

Sew

Indeed, getting a bit borderline in here.

charlequin in OP said:
Engaging in complaining about this thread being allowed to exist, accusing posters in this thread of piracy, attempting to start debates about piracy or the ethics of homebrew, or otherwise trying to grind an axe for one's personal beliefs regarding homebrew legitimacy will also result in moderator action.

N.A

Banned
richisawesome said:
Obviously you don't understand the core mechanics of exactly how this hack works.

The private keys are known. This is the key that lets the PS3 knows what is real, and what isn't. These keys are inside every PS3. If Sony changes the private key in a hardware revision, THAT HARDWARE WILL REFUSE TO LOAD *ANY* GAME AVAILABLE IN THE PS3'S LIBRARY. Anyone who buys this new revision will be UNABLE to play 100% of the games currently in the market today. Uncharted 2? Won't work. Black Ops? Won't work. Killzone? Won't work. LBP2? Wont work. Nothing will work. The PSN games wont either.

Sony can not fix this. And please, keep the moral things to the other thread. This thread is for us who enjoy the possibilities homebrew can bring to our hardware.

And bear in mind, because any homebrew app can be signed with the private key, there is no way for the PS3 to differentiate it between a legit and homebrew app. No matter what revisions Sony has made to the hardware, the core operating system of the PS3 will load it.

Actually they can. A whitelist would be effective on new hardware if they fix the other security flaws to prevent it being modifed/bypassed. Nothing they can do to permanently fix all currently sold hardware though.

itxaka

Defeatist
androvsky said:
Well, for one thing, the Wii has a completely different class of operating system, with raw I/O not only possible at an application level, but quite possibly required. From my quick google search, it looks like they ported ntfs-3g, with a homebrew FUSE equivalent.

I'm just saying don't expect the same thing overnight on the PS3, due to it having a proper (and somewhat paranoid) multi-threaded OS.

Hey, maybe it is super easy to implement. But given that so many people have been begging for it, it's been six months since the jailbreak, and I haven't heard of anyone working on it, maybe my guess at why it's difficult might not be too far off.

For what people are saying, the PS3 OS is almost POSIX. Geohot was looking into porting bsdutils. If they can port bsdutils, they can port fuse and ntfs-3g.

Of course is a long shot and probably won't be done (unless Hermes or Waninkoko do it, I think they did the ntfs thing for the wii) but for what I read, it should be easier than the wii.

I expect ssh to appear soon! :D

Dwayne

N.A said:
Actually they can. A whitelist would be effective on new hardware if they fix the other security flaws to prevent it being modifed/bypassed. Nothing they can do to permanently fix all currently sold hardware though.

Surely hackers will just mark games as the same as what's on the whitelist and get around it if that did happen.

kitch9

Banned
richisawesome said:

And bear in mind, because any homebrew app can be signed with the private key, there is no way for the PS3 to differentiate it between a legit and homebrew app. No matter what revisions Sony has made to the hardware, the core operating system of the PS3 will load it, like it's designed to do.

Nope, the hardware revision would have new keys and re-encrypted firmware (done right this time with randomised keys.) with a whitelist of all the previous games to ensure compatibility.

kitch9

Banned
Dwayne said:
Surely hackers will just mark games as the same as what's on the whitelist and get around it if that did happen.

I the hackers cannot de-crypt the new hardwares firmware they will not know how to format the white-list.

Dwayne

kitch9 said:
I the hackers cannot de-crypt the new hardwares firmware they will not know how to format the white-list.
Process of elimination using a working signed copy of a whitelist game.

Dambrosi

Banned
Unregistered007 said:

History doesn't quite bear you out. After the first swap discs came out for PS1, for example, PS1 sales soared where I live...as did game sales.

Believe it or not, pirates still buy games...sometimes.

And I am an idiot, and my avatar is really busty. kitch9 and DonMigs85 were talking about a hardware revision, which is still unlikely at this late stage, but they do have a point. My bad.

Even so, a whitelist wouldn't do squat. The hackers would just hack it and replace it with their own.

kitch9

Banned
Dambrosi said:
History doesn't quite bear you out. After the first swap discs came out for PS1, for example, PS1 sales soared where I live...as did game sales.

Believe it or not, pirates still buy games...sometimes.

And kitch9 is an idiot, and his avatar is really ugly. Of course Sony can't do these things; think about this - how would such a new, 'unhackable' firmware update even run on the PS3 without using the old keys, which the hackers have full access to, and can then use to decrypt the firmware itself?

Given that, a whitelist wouldn't do squat. The hackers would just replace it with their own.

Quoted, bolded, nice.

If Sony made new hardware that ran with a new master key (Randomised.) that would mean that firmwares signed with the old key could not be installed, although they could still be installed on old hardware.

Without the master key (Now randomised.) the hackers would not be able to de-crypt the new hardwares firmware in order to get to the whitelist to see how its formatted.

Sony would issue different firmware updates to the new and old hardware both with different encryption keys.

They have probably hired a new cryptopgrapher that hopefully is a lot smarter than your average forum lurker who is quick to call people idiots unlike the last one they had who was obviously dumb as hell.

*Nice edit*

RJT

kitch9 said:
Quoted, bolded, nice.

If Sony made new hardware that ran with a new master key (Randomised.) that would mean that firmwares signed with the old key could not be installed, although they could still be installed on old hardware.

Without the master key (Now randomised.) the hackers would not be able to de-crypt the new hardwares firmware in order to get to the whitelist to see how its formatted.

Sony would issue different firmware updates to the new and old hardware both with different encryption keys.

They have probably hired a new cryptopgrapher that hopefully is a lot smarter than your average forum lurker who is quick to call people idiots unlike the last one they had who was obviously dumb as hell.

*Nice edit*
I have no idea how these things work, but could someone fake an existing signature (one white listed)? Maybe make a boot loader that disguises itself as Uncharted?

EDIT: this was kind of mentioned before, so I'll turn this into a hate post: your avatar is indeed ugly!

Top Bottom