• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

jamaniek said:
Ok, I'm an idiot but I just had to try, since I'm excpecting my PS3 to get YLOD pretty soon anyway. :p It worked! CECHH-04.
54.png

A fitting avatar, grats :p

itxaka

Defeatist
jamaniek said:
Ok, I'm an idiot but I just had to try, since I'm excpecting my PS3 to get YLOD pretty soon anyway. :p It worked! CECHH-04.

CECHH-04 has only a 16Mb nand so it should work with no problems :D

This happens to be the same issue as when the BD was broken during the downgrades. 256Mb nand consoles are fucked xD

Durante

jamaniek said:
After reading multiple success reports for that model (and no failures) elsewhere, the satisfactory technical explanation of different NAND memory sizes, and finally this I also tried it. Working well on my CECHH. Die optical media!

kinggroin

Banned
Machado said:
can anyone summarize what has happened in the last 24 hours?

Waninkoko releases his firmware that includes syscalls. Supposed to allow backup managers to work. Apparently this firmware will brick certain models of ps3s.

Wutangrza then releases his own firmware based on geohot's but with support for backup managers without having to resort to lvl.2 hacks. This firmware seems safe so far.

We are now waiting for a backup manager to be patched for any one of these new firmwares.

Majmun

Zoe said:
Those with fats bought the first year shouldn't use it.

Yeah, otherwise you'll get a FIVEHUNDREDANDNINETYNINEDOLLARS brick.

I'm waiting for a more stable cfw. Should be released soon, I guess.

itxaka

Defeatist
So the problem is gotta be this memory difference for sure.

Old PS3 -> 256 NAND
New PS3 -> 16 NAND + HDD space

When you install a fw the update checks the type of the NAND and install it differently. If a 256 NAND is found, it installs the complete fw to it. If a 16 NAND is founds it installs the 16Mb to it and then the rest on the HDD.

What happens when you make the fw image bigger in order to have space for payloads? Well, the 16Mb+HDD installs just fine, as the HDD part is probably on the partition Sony uses for OS/etc.. so there is plenty of space there!

But when you try to put it on a 256 NAND which has a physical limit, things just fuck up. Therefore the 256 NAND consoles are the ones at risk here.

Stupid stupid mistake on waninkoko's part. EPIC FAIL. He should call his cfw FailCFW.

Durante said:
After reading multiple success reports for that model (and no failures) elsewhere, the satisfactory technical explanation of different NAND memory sizes, and finally this I also tried it. Working well on my CECHH. Die optical media!

Do backup managers work with no modifications on his firmware if it installs without bricking?

Forget these backup managers. I'll just wait for Sony to put KZ2 up on PSN. I don't want to mess around with these crazy firmwares.

Just give me a region free CFW with nothing else. Would that require any of this lvl 1/2 peek and poke stuff?

H_Prestige said:
Forget these backup managers. I'll just wait for Sony to put KZ2 up on PSN. I don't want to mess around with these crazy firmwares.

Just give me a region free CFW with nothing else. Would that require any of this lvl 1/2 peek and poke stuff?
I think so, without lv1 and lv2 access homebrew is limited in what parts of the ps3 it can use, I believe. Now the devs can access anything to a degree.

MMaRsu

Banned
So if I have a recently purchased Slim, it should work right? And this will enable to use backups ( legal ) using Multiman? Let's say I dump my Wipeout HD/Fury to HDD I will be able to use it right?

Marrshu said:
Yeah I saw confirmations of slims bricking somewhere too. Not sure if it was here or PSX Scene.

Well that could be because they patched the update.pup wrong.

Dambrosi

Banned
DoctorWho said:
But didn't someone on here with a slim have it brick?
They installed it over geohot's patched 3.55, which is a guaranteed brick. If they installed over a clean 3.55 firmware, there's a good chance that their machines might survive the ordeal.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
MMaRsu said:
So if I have a recently purchased Slim, it should work right? And this will enable to use backups ( legal ) using Multiman? Let's say I dump my Wipeout HD/Fury to HDD I will be able to use it right?

Well that could be because they patched the update.pup wrong.

Apparently the Slims are fine, the early reports were indeed due to faults on people's side messing up the patching or installations. The PSX-Scene community has found the Slims to be unaffected.

Every CFW, on every console, has a chance of bricking - just remember that.=)

Ya no

I've been reading through this thread and I've got a couple questions:

1. I got a 60gb at launch but it died and I got a refurbished one which also died and I got another refurbished one so basically I'm not sure if the one I have is like the ones that have been getting bricked... I saw the table on the last page but it confused me. Anyone help me out?

2. Will I be able to run backups of my games from an external HDD or should I look into get a bigger internal drive?

Speevy

Banned
I've been reading through this thread and I've got a couple questions:

1. I got a 60gb at launch but it died and I got a refurbished one which also died and I got another refurbished one so basically I'm not sure if the one I have is like the ones that have been getting bricked... I saw the table on the last page but it confused me. Anyone help me out?

2. Will I be able to run backups of my games from an external HDD or should I look into get a bigger internal drive?

You sound like a glutton for punishment. Go ahead!

Dambrosi said:
They installed it over geohot's patched 3.55, which is a guaranteed brick. If they installed over a clean 3.55 firmware, there's a good chance that their machines might survive the ordeal.

Sounds like it's best to do nothing right now.

Durante

Ya no said:
Just read the serial printed on the bottom of the unit. If it ends in A-G, it will certainly brick. If it ends on another letter and you are running 2.55 ofw it will probably work.

MMaRsu

Banned

jamaniek

I tried to fire up GT5 through the multiman with no results. PSX-Scene guys say it works fine so I'm downloading an another version right now and we'll see what happens.

Dambrosi

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Sounds like it's best to do nothing right now.
Well, there's another CFW out there that doesn't make the schoolboy errors that Waninkoko did with his...'adjustments'...to lv2, instead settling for lv2/lv1 peek/poke, which would theoretically allow real homebrew like backup loaders to run. It's by Wutangrza, and we're not talking about it nearly enough in this thread, mainly because there's no new apps for it yet.

MMarSu: Either way, don't do it. There'll be better firmwares coming soon.

MMaRsu

Banned
I heard the problem with backup managers not working is you need to install the one for 3.41 and that'll work but I think I read it on here so yueaa..

I've got my virgin Slim 160GB model waiting, still on original 3.55 FW (CECH-2501-A). I'm tempted to try Waninkoko's CFW... maybe I'll wait.

Semi related but I do hope someone ports firefox lite across to the ps3 via homebrew, the other day my friend showed me the ps3 browser for the first time ever and dear lord the thing is terrible, slow and just bad. I was reminded of the early DC days of using dream key 1.0 and even that was faster.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'll poke him in his goddamn memory

j/k :p

Off to get some weed, deciding if I should install or not.. I hve a Ps3 slim 320gb model, but honestly it's a month old and the last thing I want to do is brick it. It would kill me since it's my birthday console.

On the other side there have been plenty of reports from people saying that it does actually work on slims, if you install the unsigned multiman before downgrading then backups should work as well.

The only problem is what if someone else releases a working multiman that just utilizes Geohots firmware? Then it would all be for nothing if I bricked my Ps3 heh. Don't wanna do that obviously.

Choices choices..

MMaRsu said:

Off to get some weed, deciding if I should install or not.. I hve a Ps3 slim 320gb model, but honestly it's a month old and the last thing I want to do is brick it. It would kill me since it's my birthday console.

On the other side there have been plenty of reports from people saying that it does actually work on slims, if you install the unsigned multiman before downgrading then backups should work as well.

The only problem is what if someone else releases a working multiman that just utilizes Geohots firmware? Then it would all be for nothing if I bricked my Ps3 heh. Don't wanna do that obviously.

Choices choices..

I'm in the same boat. My slim's a month old. it seems like the more recent models aren't showing signs of bricks. Haven't read anything bad from the CECH-25xx-x models yet...

Danielsan

MMaRsu said:

Choices choices..
Just wait it out for a week man. Don't rush things with expensive equipment like that.

MMaRsu

Banned
Nah it's not, I actually found it on a different forum somewhere and just adopted it ^^.

But yeah obviously I'm probably gonna wait it out.... but still the thought of backups working is just having me giddy inside :p.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've just checked the serial number of my UK launch 60gb machine and it's a no go for this firmware until someone figures this out. I'm glad I checked. Looks like I'll be on geohots' firmware for a while.

DSFan1970

cyberheater said:
I've just checked the serial number of my UK launch 60gb machine and it's a no go for this firmware until someone figures this out. I'm glad I checked. Looks like I'll be on geohots' firmware for a while.
What are the benefits to using Geohots ? Emulation? Is it Fat compatible?

Speevy

Banned
This seems to be a bad idea right now.

I'm going to wait until they develop a straightforward, safe standard for everyone's homebrew. The equivalent of the Wii's homebrew channel.

3rdman

DSFan1970 said:
What are the benefits to using Geohots ? Emulation? Is it Fat compatible?
Geohots does everything you want minus backup managers....if thats not important to you, then you're safe.

So.... busy day today... anyone care to compile what we now know?

I need me some info about:

1. What this can potentially do to my Slim
2. Complete, detailed install instructions
3 How I can get backups running

N.A

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
So.... busy day today... anyone care to compile what we now know?

I need me some info about:

1. What this can potentially do to my Slim
2. Complete, detailed install instructions
3 How I can get backups running

Don't update, there is a high chance of your console bricking.

Wait a few days and we'll have a stable CFW and backup manager.

And as soon as these are available I'll put detailed instructions on http://www.pshomebrew.net

kikonawa

wth is wutanga ? does do the same thing as Waninkoko released? Why no mention of him more?

I'm about to install my custom firmware.. WISH ME LUCK :p

kodt

Banned
So the key has not been released to the public yet? Allowing people to sign their own homebrew?

If that key was released anyone could sign their own homebrew and play it on official firmware right?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
kikonawa said:
wth is wutanga ? does do the same thing as Waninkoko released? Why no mention of him more?

The releases are not the same but very similar with the exception that one hasn't caused mass bricking. Wu's is basked on a Peek/poke exploit released a few days ago whilst Wani's is based on his own work and changes things in Lv1/2.

kikonawa said:
I'm about to install my custom firmware.. WISH ME LUCK :p

If you brick, don't say you weren't warned. =)

kodt said:
So the key has not been released to the public yet? Allowing people to sign their own homebrew?

If that key was released anyone could sign their own homebrew and play it on official firmware right?

The keys are released. Anyone can make homebrew. The problem is that default firmware cannot install it without modification. That's why CFW is needed.

Top Bottom