• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Box design (not the games - the console)

Not a fan of expensive electronics with boxes that have a picture of the product on it. Oh well, it's a box. Agree with the sentiments regarding PS2 but I guess the logo isn't quite as iconic as it used to be, maybe they wanted to make absolute sure parents looking for a PS4 can find it.

Satchel

Banned
Prefer the original PS3 box to be honest.

Xbox One box I believe is from the Day One edition only isn't it? I think the normal box will be different. Either way the Xbone box is much classier. PS4 box looks tacky. Not that that matters packed away in a closet.

x3r0123

That's because they are currently sold out at Amazon.ca. I managed to pre-order one through there right after the conference last night. It didn't show a box or anything but it did show what the system looked like.

Best Buy.ca has it available there though (however, no pictures of the box or the system).

I was pointing out the xbox thing

there still isnt anything i want at ps4 launch that I know yet. It might change once we know the full list and the games for post launch

Afrodium

Banned
PS2BBOX.jpg

Why can't they make it like this anymore? If you're going to charge $400 for something, make it look it's $400.

So fucking good

Danneee

That's the worst angle for the ds4.

In the run to e3 they showed it from different persepctives and looked much better.

Like, happier? :)

Sorry guys.

I really like do the controller design and touchpad, can't wait to play indie games that utilize that!
The box, meh, looks like a box for a video games console. Nothing more , nothing less.

Jonboy

Well, whaddya know?! Microsoft managed to get something right. That Xbox One box is niiiiice. PS4 box is just 'meh' to me.

Doesn't matter though.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
The original PS2 box will always be a favourite for me, but I did also really like the PS3 Slim box. Not so sure about this, I prefer them a little simpler.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Xbox One's is a lot better from a marketing standpoint. It's clearly differentiated from the 360 packaging, no one would mistake one for the other.

Current PS3 boxes and peripherals use a bunch of blue, PS Vita boxes and peripherals use a bunch of blue, now PS4's box and [assumedly] peripherals are using a bunch of blue. It swings the door wide open for consumer confusion. Creating a distinct, unmistakable break between the branding of your new console's stuff and your old consoles during the initial launch period is Remedial Marketing 101. The lack of stark differentiation between Wii branding was a huge part of the confusion we saw surrounding Wii U.

X1 definitely has the better box...but the PS4 boxart is much better than PS3's was at launch.

psthree001.jpg

I still have no idea what Sony was thinking in pretty much every regard in 2006. Yuck.

Dysun

It'll look great for 5 mins until I rip open the box and shove the remnants into a closet never to be seen again

longdi

Banned
PS4 box looks better. Clean, open and friendly and shows the whole console.
Xboned looks overcompensating, making everything dark and gloss != cool, unless you are Apple or Sony designers. And the "x" box logos on the console and kinect makes them looks like a pair of x_x snakes.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The Xbox One box is absolutely gorgeous. The PS4 one is... adequate. But I only ever keep boxes for the first few months, so who cares, heh.

Mononoke

Banned
I actually like Xbox One's colors better. But I prefer the PS4's physical console design. So in terms of the packaging, obviously I like the Xbone's a bit more. But I don't buy a a system for the packaging.

That's one area where Microsoft clearly has Sony beat, that XBox box is fantastic (too bad for them it doesn't mean a damn thing)

I love it how everything of this console reminds me of PS2.

Anyone worried the console is TOO small?

I mean Eurogamer said 30 cm x 25 cm x 5 cm.

And only back vents.

I'm worried it might overheat?

There are vents on the side aswell, hidden between the top and bottom parts.

Top Bottom