• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Box design (not the games - the console)

Jhriad

Holy shit it is small. I wonder if the box is similarly tiny. Saw this on reddit:

8OqHmQ0.jpg

That can't be accurate... can it?

RayMaker

Banned
I like the simplistic and futuristic look of the X1, I also like how different it looks from the current 360 line, it looks like a design departure something new and next gen.

The PS4's look good but look to familiar to the ps3's design, the PS4's box looks welcoming and calm,where the X1 box has and epic and has new world vibe to it.

and if people want to state your opinion on which one you would prefer, could you please say why. Whats the point in saying ''the PS4/X1 box is well better, the other one looks rubbish''.

I thought GAF was a place where people share opinions and explain why they have them rather then make statements with no reasoning as if they were fact.

20cent

Banned
The PS2 pack was awesome.

I usually hate product shots on hardware packaging, it makes them look like kitchen appliance, or worst, like Samsung product. The Vita box is horrid, the PS4 follows the same direction :(

Doesn't really matter though, but they could have make it 100% perfect.

20cent

Banned
just kinda crazy how much better they are at it.

not an expert but I read that the PS4 AMD APU integrates both CPU/GPU and it has low energy consumption. I dunno what's the difference with the X1.
But the PStwo and latest PS3 shows how efficient they are at miniaturizing :/ their hardware.

Cheech

not an expert but I read that the PS4 AMD APU integrates both CPU/GPU and it has low energy consumption. I dunno what's the difference with the X1.
But the PStwo and latest PS3 shows how efficient they are at miniaturizing :/ their hardware.

Yeah, the Xbone does the same thing. The CPU/GPU in both machines is pretty much the same thing.

ASIS

I think the Xbox one boxing looks much better. Actually, the entire blue theme of Playstation is kind of sterile compared to the past.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That picture is total bullshit, look at the cd tray/slot in relation to the other three.

Sblargh

Banned
Does anyone keep their PS console standing up? Ever since the PS2 they promote it as a column or tower, but I can't bring myself to keep them standing. Always looks fragile.

Apath

Congratulations Microsoft on finally beating Sony on something. Lucky for them box art is like, super important, man.

spwolf

I like the simplistic and futuristic look of the X1, I also like how different it looks from the current 360 line, it looks like a design departure something new and next gen.

The PS4's look good but look to familiar to the ps3's design, the PS4's box looks welcoming and calm,where the X1 box has and epic and has new world vibe to it.

and if people want to state your opinion on which one you would prefer, could you please say why. Whats the point in saying ''the PS4/X1 box is well better, the other one looks rubbish''.

I thought GAF was a place where people share opinions and explain why they have them rather then make statements with no reasoning as if they were fact.

hahaha

thanks for the writeup, made me smile.

PS2BBOX.jpg

Why can't they make it like this anymore? If you're going to charge $400 for something, make it look it's $400.

Times sure have changed. Can you imagine being on the marketing team designing the PS4 box and suggesting a pure blue box with nothing the a simple PS4 logo? Nah, now it's gotta have fancy designs, a picture of the console, gradients, etc etc.

jackdoe

I think both boxes would look better if they removed the pic of their respective consoles. The Xbox One especially doesn't need a ginormous pic of the controller (with day one lettering) on the side of the box.

I like the Xbone box. Sleek clean and kinda like an apple product. Also black is always cool.

Not really feeling the PS4 box. Looks too whimsical with the blue woosh.

But since both boxes would be going in the garbage day one I am still getting PS4.

Ardenyal

Can't help but think the XBone box design was dominated by "how can we make this behemoth look just a bit smaller?"... then they just crop the picture.

They look alright. I have not seen all sides of the x but it would be clever to have the controller on one side system full in back kinect on the opposite side. The ps4 box while decent looking has positioning issues the sony in the top right is hugging the top left way too close. The gradient needs to start. In the bottom righ corner, it looks awkward as is. Was hoping for something better from the sony packaging. Everything isn't a competition but if it was based on point of sale interest I would buy the xbox. Only the cardboard not the system.

zou

i can't see it.

how can it be more powerful, smaller, and use an internal power supply compared to xbo?

They are both using what's pretty much mobile hardware.

edit: so might be a case of ms going for passive/silent cooling and ps4 using active cooling. Either way, not really surprising.

Times sure have changed. Can you imagine being on the marketing team designing the PS4 box and suggesting a pure blue box with nothing the a simple PS4 logo? Nah, now it's gotta have fancy designs, a picture of the console, gradients, etc etc.

I dunno about that. I think today's trends are all about the minimalist look and a box like the PS2's would actually be well received today.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
PS2BBOX.jpg

Why can't they make it like this anymore? If you're going to charge $400 for something, make it look it's $400.

lol uh... the fuck are you talking about? The PS4 box design versus Xbox One's shows clearly and exactly the difference between elegance and "minimalism"... Definitely looks $400. If anything, looks like it could be $500, but we'll let Xbox One worry about that.

sqwarlock

I feel alone in not liking the minimalist/ultra-sleek look of the Xbox One's box. The PS4 just looks more fun, with the colors and the floating button icons. Then again, I'm pretty much a hater of minimalist design in general.

Top Bottom